Sand for between slabs

DerbyBorn

Apr 1, 2014, 10:43:05 AM4/1/14
20 odd years ago I laid some 18 x 18" slabs. I gave them a good jet washing
today and decided I need to sweep some sand into the gaps to neaten it all
up.
I know it needs to be kiln dried for block paving but these are half inch
gaps due to the slabs having a bit of a tapered edge.

What sort of sand should I get?

meow...@care2.com

Apr 1, 2014, 10:52:52 AM4/1/14
Why would it matter? The one advantage of dried is that you can sweep it into the joints faster.

I might be tempted to use dry sand/cement to lessen weed growth.

NT

Martin Brown

Apr 1, 2014, 11:33:21 AM4/1/14
I'd be inclined to use sharp sand bordering on fine gravel if the gaps
are as wide as you say. It is less inclined to wash away, drains quicker
and so harder for weed seeds to germinate in.

You can dry sand in the sun on newspaper if you need it free running.
(but it is cold, foggy and damp up here)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

charles

Apr 1, 2014, 11:05:30 AM4/1/14
In article <XnsA3029FE55613DTr...@81.171.92.236>, DerbyBorn
go to Wickes, They sell the right stuff.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Martin Bonner

Apr 1, 2014, 12:48:05 PM4/1/14
On Tuesday, April 1, 2014 3:52:52 PM UTC+1, meow...@care2.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 1, 2014 3:43:05 PM UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:
> > 20 odd years ago I laid some 18 x 18" slabs. I gave them a good jet washing
> > today and decided I need to sweep some sand into the gaps to neaten it all
> > up.
> > I know it needs to be kiln dried for block paving but these are half inch
> > gaps due to the slabs having a bit of a tapered edge.
> > What sort of sand should I get?

Well, given a half inch gap, it doesn't need to be kiln dried. I agree
a bag of sharp sand should be fine.

> Why would it matter? The one advantage of dried is that you can sweep
> it into the joints faster.

If your trying to fill the 0.5mm gap between block paving blocks, it's
not that you can sweep it into the joints faster - it simply won't go
into the joints unless it is kiln dried.

However, for a big gap like this, it doesn't matter.

> I might be tempted to use dry sand/cement to lessen weed growth.

Not convinced that'll work well.

meow...@care2.com

Apr 1, 2014, 2:39:11 PM4/1/14
On Tuesday, April 1, 2014 5:48:05 PM UTC+1, Martin Bonner wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 1, 2014 3:52:52 PM UTC+1, meow...@care2.com wrote:
> > On Tuesday, April 1, 2014 3:43:05 PM UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:

> > > 20 odd years ago I laid some 18 x 18" slabs. I gave them a good jet washing
> > > today and decided I need to sweep some sand into the gaps to neaten it all
> > > up.
> > > I know it needs to be kiln dried for block paving but these are half inch
> > > gaps due to the slabs having a bit of a tapered edge.
> > > What sort of sand should I get?

> Well, given a half inch gap, it doesn't need to be kiln dried. I agree
> a bag of sharp sand should be fine.

> > > Why would it matter? The one advantage of dried is that you can sweep
> > it into the joints faster.

> If your trying to fill the 0.5mm gap between block paving blocks, it's
> not that you can sweep it into the joints faster - it simply won't go
> into the joints unless it is kiln dried.

Sure it does, it just doesnt free flow in. So you chuck the sand out and let normal traffic plod it in. Dried sand is instant, but it costs a bit more. Doesnt matter to most of us, but not everyone.

NT

harryagain

Apr 1, 2014, 3:03:27 PM4/1/14

"DerbyBorn" <Some...@Nearhome.com> wrote in message
Just use ordinary sand. Sweep in and then hose down.
You will need lots more than you might think.

stuart noble

Apr 2, 2014, 5:27:16 AM4/2/14
B&Q do a "special" mortar for paving gaps. It's fine, dry, and fast
setting. Easy to use but I wouldn't go out and buy it specially

Gone Fishin

Apr 2, 2014, 7:11:42 AM4/2/14
On 01/04/2014 16:05, charles wrote:
> In article <XnsA3029FE55613DTr...@81.171.92.236>, DerbyBorn
> <Some...@Nearhome.com> wrote:
>> 20 odd years ago I laid some 18 x 18" slabs. I gave them a good jet
>> washing today and decided I need to sweep some sand into the gaps to
>> neaten it all up. I know it needs to be kiln dried for block paving but
>> these are half inch gaps due to the slabs having a bit of a tapered edge.
>
>> What sort of sand should I get?
>
> go to Wickes, They sell the right stuff.

25kg bags. BUT in my case some bags were damp so
it was not dry as advertised. £4.15/Bag

Andy Burns

Apr 2, 2014, 7:37:23 AM4/2/14
Gone Fishin wrote:

> On 01/04/2014 16:05, charles wrote:
>
>> DerbyBorn <Some...@Nearhome.com> wrote:
>>
>>> What sort of sand should I get?
>>
>> go to Wickes, They sell the right stuff.
>
> 25kg bags. BUT in my case some bags were damp so
> it was not dry as advertised. £4.15/Bag

Just bought half a dozen bags of kiln-dried sand from them, had to drag
as many damp bags off the pallet onto the floor to reach the dry ones,
pointed this out to the staff who simply shrugged.

Mathew Newton

Apr 2, 2014, 8:45:06 AM4/2/14
On Tuesday, April 1, 2014 3:43:05 PM UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:

> 20 odd years ago I laid some 18 x 18" slabs. I gave them a good
> jet washing today and decided I need to sweep some sand into the gaps
> to neaten it all up. I know it needs to be kiln dried for block paving
> but these are half inch gaps due to the slabs having a bit of a tapered edge.

Any comparison between slabs and block paving is meaingless as the purpose of the joints are completely different hence as are the materials.

Have a read of http://www.pavingexpert.com/pointing.htm for everything you wanted to know about the subject (and more besides!).

Mathew

Rick Hughes

Apr 2, 2014, 3:52:58 PM4/2/14
On 01/04/2014 15:43, DerbyBorn wrote:
sand on 1/2" gap is not going to stay there.

Maybe that is OK for you .... if you want it permanent point it ....
sand & cement (slow but cheap)

or use a brush in Polymeric mortar slurry .... brush it in, hose it off
.... simple.

see this:
http://www.pavingexpert.com/point_ncc02.htm

or cut straight to video: http://youtu.be/rZEKidBAj_A