Rough cost for a fitted bathroom

Simon Finnigan

Sep 16, 2007, 12:38:30 PM9/16/07
Hi all,
I`m looking at getting a bathroom redone in the house. The room is roughly
2m x 2m, and already has the electricity and water in, as well as the waste
pipes out. I`m not good at this level of DIY, so i`d be looking at getting
a company in to do the entire job - strip out the old one, fit all the new
stuff and leave me with a nice, fully working bathroom. I`m after a rough
idea of the labour costs involved in this, to figure out how much money will
be needed. We want a decent bathroom suite, a nice shower (but no bath),
sink and toilet.

Any help will be gratefully received!

John Rumm

Sep 16, 2007, 12:53:09 PM9/16/07

Starting price of £3500, more if fully tiled, more with posh fittings,
more with complex showers, shiney towel rads, snazzy lighting etc.

When you go to the likes of Dolphin etc, £10k is not uncommon.

--
Cheers,

John.

Mr Sandman

Sep 16, 2007, 4:56:53 PM9/16/07
£500 for a half decent quality bathroom suite, £250 to fit it, £100 for the
bathroom tiles, £150 to fit 'em. add another £100 for nice finishing
touches.

So all in i recon £1100, if you organise the workers, and pick and buy the
bits and pieces ect.

At least double or even triple that to get a national company to do the lot
in one go. Screwing b'stards.

Steve

"Simon Finnigan" <SimonF...@Hotmail.Com> wrote in message

John Rumm

Sep 16, 2007, 5:18:44 PM9/16/07
Mr Sandman wrote:

> £500 for a half decent quality bathroom suite, £250 to fit it, £100 for the
> bathroom tiles, £150 to fit 'em. add another £100 for nice finishing
> touches.

Can we come and live on your planet? Sounds much cheaper than ours!

> So all in i recon £1100, if you organise the workers, and pick and buy the
> bits and pieces ect.

Depending on what you mean by tiling (i.e. full room or just a
splashback), but you could easily spend that on just tiling.

Mr Sandman

Sep 16, 2007, 5:36:53 PM9/16/07
>> £500 for a half decent quality bathroom suite, £250 to fit it, £100 for
>> the bathroom tiles, £150 to fit 'em. add another £100 for nice finishing
>> touches.
>
> Can we come and live on your planet? Sounds much cheaper than ours!
>
>> So all in i recon £1100, if you organise the workers, and pick and buy
>> the bits and pieces ect.
>
> Depending on what you mean by tiling (i.e. full room or just a
> splashback), but you could easily spend that on just tiling.

Tiling shower cubical and splash backs. You can buy plain white tiles from
wicks..looks smart, timeless and clean. Paint or paper the rest.

If you want the whole room tiling, maybe 3 days work---unless its mosaics!

This is based on my own experience refubing 5 buy to lets, using local news
papers to get quotes for the work and using decent quality fittings from
local sheds, online shops, eBay ect.

Steve

TheScullster

Sep 17, 2007, 4:46:56 AM9/17/07

"John Rumm" wrote

> Can we come and live on your planet? Sounds much cheaper than ours!

Agreed - a decent shower and shower pump would set you back the thick end of
£500 without enclosure and the rest of the suite!
Decent mixer tap for basin alone £75+.
Your price point may be just about good enough for temporary buy-to-let
residence, but something that the OP is going to live with for a number of
years, I suspect needs to be firmly pitched into the next quality level.

Phil

Mr Sandman

Sep 17, 2007, 5:05:51 AM9/17/07

"TheScullster" <ph...@dropthespam.com> wrote in message

my costs are based on a decent quality bathroom, not wetroom kind of spec.
Yes if you want a powerful shower with pump you are looking at those costs.
If you want expensive tiles, that costs more. If you want a decent quality
bathroom that will look great and last years it can be done for not much
more than a grand. YMMV

Steve

Simon Finnigan

Sep 17, 2007, 10:04:17 AM9/17/07
"TheScullster" <ph...@dropthespam.com> wrote in message

Ultimately while I`d like to do it as cheaply as possible now, a cheap
bathroom fitted now would be ripped out in about 2-3 years when the g/f
starts earning serious money. In which case it makes more sense to stretch
now and get a very good bathroom fitted and pay it off ASAP. For example,
i`m currently using a £75 electric shower which does the trick. What i`d
like is something that sprays the water under enough pressure to cut through
concrete at any temperature I choose, which is obviosuly in another price
band altogether :-) Ditto a cubicle, we`ve got one that must have cost
about £50 new, and you can tell.

Although I`d actually prefer seperate taps for the sink :-) Dunno why, but
I`ve never liked mixer taps in a bathroom. Weird I know, but that`s life
:-)

John Rumm

Sep 17, 2007, 12:47:59 PM9/17/07
Simon Finnigan wrote:

> trick. What i`d like is something that sprays the water under enough
> pressure to cut through concrete at any temperature I choose, which is
> obviosuly in another price band altogether :-) Ditto a cubicle, we`ve
> got one that must have cost about £50 new, and you can tell.

Have a look at a seller called Primrose bathrooms on eBay. They do
decent quality enclosures at a third of the price of most outlets. (last
800mm quadrant stone resin tray and 6mm toughened glass and ali
enclosure came to about £200 inc delivery.

> Although I`d actually prefer seperate taps for the sink :-) Dunno why,
> but I`ve never liked mixer taps in a bathroom. Weird I know, but that`s
> life :-)

As I found to my cost, if you fit a mono block mixer with a duck bill
type combined lever, it works really well until you bend down to scoop
water into you hands to either wash you face or rinse your mouth. You
then headbutt the duck bill! DAMHIK.

djc

Sep 17, 2007, 4:15:00 PM9/17/07
Simon Finnigan wrote:

> Ultimately while I`d like to do it as cheaply as possible now, a cheap
> bathroom fitted now would be ripped out in about 2-3 years when the g/f
> starts earning serious money.

What makes you think a more expensive bathroom would not suffer the same
fate?

In which case it makes more sense to
> stretch now and get a very good bathroom fitted and pay it off ASAP.

--
djc

Dave Gordon

Sep 17, 2007, 5:32:36 PM9/17/07

"Simon Finnigan" <SimonF...@Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
Mixer taps are good if you like to wash your hands under the tap. You can wash in something other than
scalding hot or freezing cold ;o)

Message has been deleted

Simon Finnigan

Sep 18, 2007, 5:11:46 AM9/18/07
"djc" <anrnsris...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> Simon Finnigan wrote:
>
>> Ultimately while I`d like to do it as cheaply as possible now, a cheap
>> bathroom fitted now would be ripped out in about 2-3 years when the g/f
>> starts earning serious money.
>
> What makes you think a more expensive bathroom would not suffer the same
> fate?

Becase a cheap bathroom will be made up of cheaper components, by
deffinition. Those cheaper components will annoy us, whereas good quality
stuff will keep us happy long term, meaning we won`t rip it out and have to
replace it with quality kit 2 years down the line.

The Natural Philosopher

Sep 18, 2007, 5:24:40 AM9/18/07
Huge wrote:

> On 2007-09-17, Mr Sandman <mrsa...@ntlworld.spamtrap.com> wrote:
>
>> If you want a decent quality
>> bathroom that will look great and last years it can be done for not much
>> more than a grand.
>
> Yeah. Right. In your dreams.
>
> (I've fitted three bathrooms so far in my DIY "career".) The shower (*) alone
> cost more than a grand in the last two.
>
> (* Pump+valve+enclosure+tray+tiles)

Well who needs a pump?

however, yes, a proper shower + enclosure is around a grand all in.

But the rest can be pretty minimal..I'd say less than a grand,so if you
simply get a bath with a shower tap on it, and rig a sheet of plastic to
it as a shower screen, its possible.

As long as you have mains pressure hot water, anyway.

Tony Bryer

Sep 18, 2007, 7:26:00 AM9/18/07
On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 15:04:17 +0100 Simon Finnigan wrote :
> Although I`d actually prefer seperate taps for the sink :-) Dunno why, but
> I`ve never liked mixer taps in a bathroom. Weird I know, but that`s life
> :-)

Put a TRV blender under the basin and you can get hand hot water out of the
hot tap.

Message has been deleted

Simon Finnigan

Sep 18, 2007, 6:47:52 AM9/18/07
"Dave Gordon" <d@p> wrote in message

I actually prefer washing my hands on cold water :-) But then again i`ve
been told i`m weird before today (hard to believe I know :-) )

The Natural Philosopher

Sep 18, 2007, 1:51:18 PM9/18/07
Tony Bryer wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 15:04:17 +0100 Simon Finnigan wrote :
>> Although I`d actually prefer seperate taps for the sink :-) Dunno why, but
>> I`ve never liked mixer taps in a bathroom. Weird I know, but that`s life
>> :-)
>
> Put a TRV blender under the basin and you can get hand hot water out of the
> hot tap.

Neat trick that.

The Natural Philosopher

Sep 18, 2007, 1:52:32 PM9/18/07
Huge wrote:

> On 2007-09-18, The Natural Philosopher <a@b.c> wrote:
>> Huge wrote:

>>> Yeah. Right. In your dreams.
>>>
>>> (I've fitted three bathrooms so far in my DIY "career".) The shower (*) alone
>>> cost more than a grand in the last two.
>>>
>>> (* Pump+valve+enclosure+tray+tiles)
>>>

>> Well who needs a pump?
>
> Anyone who wants a decent shower? Google "Tanganyika boiler" for the kind of
> thing I want.

Bollocks. I have no pumps and better showers than I have had ANYwhere
pumped or not. Mains pressure hot water is all it takes.

>> however, yes, a proper shower + enclosure is around a grand all in.
>>
>> But the rest can be pretty minimal..I'd say less than a grand,so if you
>> simply get a bath with a shower tap on it, and rig a sheet of plastic to
>> it as a shower screen, its possible.
>

> Not as specified; "a decent quality bathroom that will look great and last
> years." A shower over the bath has already failed, IMO.

Then cough up 2 grand and be done with it.

geoff

Sep 18, 2007, 5:51:02 PM9/18/07
In message <46eef1a0$1...@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>, Dave Gordon
<d@p.?.invalid> writes

>> Although I`d actually prefer seperate taps for the sink :-) Dunno
>>why, but I`ve never liked mixer
>> taps in a bathroom. Weird I know, but that`s life :-)
>Mixer taps are good if you like to wash your hands under the tap. You
>can wash in something other than
>scalding hot or freezing cold ;o)

Cold water a bit too rufty tufty for you ?

--
geoff

Simon Finnigan

Sep 19, 2007, 6:41:48 PM9/19/07
"Huge" <Hu...@nowhere.much.invalid> wrote in message

> On 2007-09-18, The Natural Philosopher <a@b.c> wrote:
>> Huge wrote:

>>> Yeah. Right. In your dreams.
>>>
>>> (I've fitted three bathrooms so far in my DIY "career".) The shower (*)
>>> alone
>>> cost more than a grand in the last two.
>>>
>>> (* Pump+valve+enclosure+tray+tiles)
>>>

>> Well who needs a pump?
>
> Anyone who wants a decent shower? Google "Tanganyika boiler" for the kind
> of
> thing I want.
>
>> however, yes, a proper shower + enclosure is around a grand all in.
>>
>> But the rest can be pretty minimal..I'd say less than a grand,so if you
>> simply get a bath with a shower tap on it, and rig a sheet of plastic to
>> it as a shower screen, its possible.
>
> Not as specified; "a decent quality bathroom that will look great and last
> years." A shower over the bath has already failed, IMO.

Absolutely. There isn`t room for a full size bath in the room, and since
I`m well over 6 foot tall, and the g/f is 5 foot 10 tall, even a normal
sized bath is a waste of space :-)