How to install a lintel

leen...@yahoo.co.uk

May 26, 2022, 9:05:05 AM5/26/22
Hi all

The next phase of the BBQ is to fit a row of concrete lintels I have laying around to make the base for the cooking "trough". The will be supported on either end and in the centre. Conscious they are a bit heavy, do I need to mix the mortar any differently my usual block laying mix? Was thinking they might "sink" to the block underneath

They are about 2m long too.

Any top tips / things to be wary of?

Thanks in advance

Lee.

Rod Speed

May 26, 2022, 3:40:12 PM5/26/22
leen...@yahoo.co.uk <leen...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote

> The next phase of the BBQ is to fit a row of concrete lintels I have
> laying around to make the base for the cooking "trough". The will be
> supported on either end and in the centre. Conscious they are a bit
> heavy, do I need to mix the mortar any differently my usual block laying
> mix? Was thinking they might "sink" to the block underneath

No, normal mortar mix is fine.

> They are about 2m long too.

> Any top tips / things to be wary of?

Get someone to help you lowering the lintels onto the wall.

> Thanks in advance

Peeler

May 26, 2022, 4:20:00 PM5/26/22
On Fri, 27 May 2022 05:40:04 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Bod addressing senile Rodent Speed:
"Rod, you have a sick twisted mind. I suggest you stop your mindless
and totally irresponsible talk. Your mouth could get you into a lot of
trouble."
MID: <gfbb94...@mid.individual.net>

Brian

May 27, 2022, 2:19:07 AM5/27/22
You could use a few of those plastic spaces which are intended to give you
and even mortar spacing. They look like an H with very short verticals and
a long -.

Or, perhaps a few stainless steal nuts or similar as spacers.