OT: shortage of boxes

Commander Kinsey

May 12, 2022, 2:59:15 PM5/12/22
Well it appears you can now sell a damaged box for £105.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Box-Only-Geforce-GTX-1080-Ti-/224848627726

Peeler

May 12, 2022, 3:35:00 PM5/12/22
On Thu, 12 May 2022 19:59:09 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (aka "Commander Kinsey",
"James Wilkinson", "Steven Wanker","Bruce Farquar", "Fred Johnson, etc.),
the pathological resident idiot and attention whore of all the uk ngs,
blathered again:

<FLUSH the subnormal sociopathic trolling attention whore's latest
attention-baiting sick bullshit unread again>

--
damdu...@yahoo.co.uk about Birdbrain Macaw's (now "Commander Kinsey" LOL)
trolling:

--
Peter Moylan about Birdbrain (now "Commander Kinsey" LOL):
"If people like JWS didn't exist, we would have to find some other way to

--
Lewis about nym-shifting Birdbrain:
"Typical narcissist troll, thinks his shit is so grand he has the right to

alan_m

May 12, 2022, 4:21:25 PM5/12/22
On 12/05/2022 19:59, Commander Kinsey wrote:
> Well it appears you can now sell a damaged box for £105.
> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Box-Only-Geforce-GTX-1080-Ti-/224848627726

But only one bidder who seems to have bid against himself from starting
price of £8 to £102.

Peeler

May 12, 2022, 5:00:03 PM5/12/22
On Thu, 12 May 2022 21:21:19 +0100, anal_m, the notorious troll-feeding
senile retard, blathered again:

> But only one bidder who seems to have bid against himself from starting
> price of £8 to £102.

THAT's the way to feed a troll, anal_m, you brain dead troll-feeding senile
SHITHEAD!

Commander Kinsey

May 12, 2022, 5:08:44 PM5/12/22
On Thu, 12 May 2022 21:21:19 +0100, alan_m <ju...@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> On 12/05/2022 19:59, Commander Kinsey wrote:
>> Well it appears you can now sell a damaged box for £105.
>> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Box-Only-Geforce-GTX-1080-Ti-/224848627726
>
> But only one bidder who seems to have bid against himself from starting
> price of £8 to £102.

You didn't look closely enough. The first bid was made by 6***6, then e***4 repeatedly tried higher and higher bids until he won. Either he doesn't understand proxy bidding, or he was bidding on more than one item.

David Brooks

May 12, 2022, 7:21:09 PM5/12/22
Why would anyone want a damaged, empty, box?

There must be a reason!

Commander Kinsey

May 12, 2022, 7:59:28 PM5/12/22
The only thing I can think of is selling a boxed graphics card makes more money (some people think if you kept the box, you've been more careful with things overall). So if you don't have your box, you buy one, and increase the price of your card.

I must stop doing this. I just bought a 6990. Tahiti on steroids. 5 trillion calculations per second, or 1.25 trillion in high precision mode. I believe this will exceed the 13A limit through that fuse. Might have to install another couple of sockets in the garage. I think the cable leading to the garage is 30A since it's not warm at all. Dunno why the previous owner put a 15A fuse on that.

alan_m

May 13, 2022, 2:31:21 AM5/13/22
On 13/05/2022 00:21, David Brooks wrote:

> Why would anyone want a damaged, empty, box?
>
> There must be a reason!

Some idiot not reading the listing and assuming that the box isn't empty.

From what CK has pointed out - two idiots bidding more than £100.

alan_m

May 13, 2022, 2:35:57 AM5/13/22
On 12/05/2022 19:59, Commander Kinsey wrote:
> Well it appears you can now sell a damaged box for £105.
> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Box-Only-Geforce-GTX-1080-Ti-/224848627726

Don't miss out!!!! The same seller has more empty boxes for sale.

Peeler

May 13, 2022, 4:42:50 AM5/13/22
On Fri, 13 May 2022 00:21:02 +0100, Shit the git, the senile troll and
troll-feeding senile asshole, ALSO trolling as David Brooks, blathered
again:

> Why would anyone want a damaged, empty, box?
>
> There must be a reason!

Oh, fuck! Shit the Git, the "human" toilet, has started running again!

--
Glenn Hall in comp.os.linux.advocacy about Shit the git:
"That person is like a constantly running toilet that won't stop. Does he

Peeler

May 13, 2022, 4:47:08 AM5/13/22
On Fri, 13 May 2022 07:35:51 +0100, anal_m, the notorious troll-feeding
senile retard, blathered again:

> Don't miss out!!!! The same seller has more empty boxes for sale.

Oh, the IRONY! YOU won't miss out, troll-feeding senile asshole! The
Scottish wanker has yet lots more idiotic baits waiting for senile assholes
like you! <BG>

Peeler

May 13, 2022, 4:51:02 AM5/13/22
On Fri, 13 May 2022 07:31:15 +0100, anal_m, the notorious troll-feeding
senile retard, blathered again:

> From what CK has pointed out - two idiots bidding more than £100.

CK pointed something out, troll-feeding senile asshole? You ARE that dumb
and senile, aren't you? LOL

Colin Bignell

May 13, 2022, 6:55:40 AM5/13/22
On 13/05/2022 07:35, alan_m wrote:
> On 12/05/2022 19:59, Commander Kinsey wrote:
>> Well it appears you can now sell a damaged box for £105.
>> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Box-Only-Geforce-GTX-1080-Ti-/224848627726
>

> Don't miss out!!!! The same seller has more empty boxes for sale.

I must be sitting on a goldmine :-)

--
Colin Bignell

SH

May 13, 2022, 7:34:26 AM5/13/22
look at the bid history:

e***4 Feedback score (1)
£102.00
27 Feb 2022 at 9:49:52pm GMT

e***4 Feedback score (1)
£102.00
27 Feb 2022 at 9:49:42pm GMT

6***6 Feedback score (0)
£100.00
27 Feb 2022 at 12:01:16am GMT

e***4 Feedback score (1)
£96.00
27 Feb 2022 at 9:49:39pm GMT

e***4 Feedback score (1)
£90.00
27 Feb 2022 at 9:49:35pm GMT

e***4 Feedback score (1)
£72.00
27 Feb 2022 at 9:49:25pm GMT

e***4 Feedback score (1)
£60.00
27 Feb 2022 at 9:49:14pm GMT

Starting price
£7.99
21 Feb 2022 at 12:03:51am GMT

Starting price was £7.99 plus £2.90 P&P

Only two bidders, e***4 and 6***6 and they have feedback score of 1 and
0 respectively.

Can only assume newbie Ebayers not reading the description properly.... :-)

Looks like it got ended by the seller before the deadline or there was a
dispute where buyer refused to pay once they realised it was an empty
box and seller said, its Sold as described!

I've had to report ads were something was at a starting bid of 1p but
the P&P was £250!

Why would anyone pay £7.99 plus £2.90 P&P for a tatty empty box?

Animal

May 13, 2022, 8:45:56 AM5/13/22
On Friday, 13 May 2022 at 12:34:26 UTC+1, SH wrote:

> Why would anyone pay £7.99 plus £2.90 P&P for a tatty empty box?

standard money laundering scam

Commander Kinsey

May 13, 2022, 12:27:28 PM5/13/22
On Fri, 13 May 2022 07:31:15 +0100, alan_m <ju...@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> On 13/05/2022 00:21, David Brooks wrote:
>

>> Why would anyone want a damaged, empty, box?
>>
>> There must be a reason!
>
> Some idiot not reading the listing and assuming that the box isn't empty.
>
> From what CK has pointed out - two idiots bidding more than £100.

I wouldn't call them idiots. Who would think someone was selling an empty box? I'd call the seller a scammer.

It's actually quite annoying when I'm looking for a graphics card to filter out people selling boxes and cooling fans etc etc for that particular graphics card, to filter those out.

Commander Kinsey

May 13, 2022, 12:28:26 PM5/13/22
An empty box is only useful for starting a fire, posting something, or for a parrot to destroy. Just because it has a picture of a GPU on the front doesn't make it special.

micky

May 13, 2022, 12:49:10 PM5/13/22
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 13 May 2022 07:35:51 +0100, alan_m
<ju...@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>On 12/05/2022 19:59, Commander Kinsey wrote:
>> Well it appears you can now sell a damaged box for £105.
>> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Box-Only-Geforce-GTX-1080-Ti-/224848627726
>

>Don't miss out!!!! The same seller has more empty boxes for sale.

Whew. My wife wants one, and she was blaming me for dilly-dallying.

Scott Lurndal

May 13, 2022, 1:09:54 PM5/13/22
"Commander Kinsey" <C...@nospam.com> writes:
>On Fri, 13 May 2022 07:31:15 +0100, alan_m <ju...@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrot=
>e:
>
>> On 13/05/2022 00:21, David Brooks wrote:
>>

>>> Why would anyone want a damaged, empty, box?
>>>
>>> There must be a reason!
>>
>> Some idiot not reading the listing and assuming that the box isn't emp=
>ty.
>>
>> From what CK has pointed out - two idiots bidding more than =A3100.
>
>I wouldn't call them idiots. Who would think someone was selling an emp=
>ty box? I'd call the seller a scammer.

More likely classic money laundering.

Peeler

May 13, 2022, 1:35:00 PM5/13/22
On Fri, 13 May 2022 17:09:50 GMT, Scott Lurndal, another troll-feeding
senile idiot, blathered:

> More likely classic money laundering.

Ever more likely heavy trolling by the clinically insane Scottish attention
whore, you troll-feeding senile asshole! <tsk>

Commander Kinsey

May 13, 2022, 1:39:33 PM5/13/22
How on earth could you launder money selling cheap tat?

FromTheRafters

May 13, 2022, 4:07:33 PM5/13/22
David Brooks laid this down on his screen :
The value of collectables goes up if you have a box. People collect all
sorts of things which have associated boxes.

David Brooks

May 13, 2022, 4:28:30 PM5/13/22
Thanks, FTR. I do understand that; I have /lots/ of empty Apple boxes! ;-)

What, though, is 'Collectible' about a Graphics card?!!!

FYI https://writingexplained.org/collectible-vs-collectable-difference

John Rumm

May 13, 2022, 4:32:42 PM5/13/22
More likely sock puppet accounts of the sellers trying to create
interest and competition in the pricing, hoping someone will nip in
quick for a bargain.

--
Cheers,

John.

Peeler

May 13, 2022, 4:46:24 PM5/13/22
On Fri, 13 May 2022 21:28:25 +0100, Shit the git, the senile troll and
troll-feeding senile asshole, ALSO trolling as David Brooks, blathered
again:

> Thanks, FTR. I do understand that; I have /lots/ of empty Apple boxes! ;-)

No, you constantly running senile human toilet: The troll thanks YOU for
helping him making yet another absolutely idiotic thread of his a big
success in all these groups!

Commander Kinsey

May 13, 2022, 4:48:19 PM5/13/22
Nothing, it's a consumable. You buy one 2nd hand, run it flat out for 2 years 24/7 until it gets beyond your ability to repair, then sell it on to someone who can.

> FYI https://writingexplained.org/collectible-vs-collectable-difference

David! Grow up!

Commander Kinsey

May 13, 2022, 4:51:19 PM5/13/22
Idiots. It's nicer to see the actual item than the cardboard.

Animal

May 13, 2022, 8:33:48 PM5/13/22
Any sock puppet running an empty box up to £100 for that would have to be completely deluded. I don't think so.

John Rumm

May 14, 2022, 8:01:37 AM5/14/22
It is fairly common with the "selling an empty box scam". If you are
searching for a GPU and a result comes up for an auction ending soon,
but there are no bids on it at all, you are going to pay more attention
and ask "why?". If however you search, see one ending in 1 min, with
lots of bids, but still at an "ok" price, then you might bid in a hurry
to get a bargain GPU without reading more carefully.

Andrew

May 14, 2022, 2:11:29 PM5/14/22
Some bitcoins have lost 99% of their value in recent days so expect
a flood of 2nd hand well-thrashed GPU's on ebay (but remember the
post from Canada Paul about the bios reflashing issue).

Massive hikes in electricity prices must have changed the economics
of bitcoin 'mining' though.

Paul

May 14, 2022, 6:04:06 PM5/14/22
To decide when to stop mining coins, you need to
consult your spreadsheet that computes profit.

I thought it dropped below profitable, a couple
months ago for Bitcoin (depends on rig efficiency).

Although more than a few of the operators, are
sentimentalists and mine coins past when it makes
sense to mine them -- for speculative purpose.

That would be people with a couple GPU cards maybe,
not corporations sporting Intel mining rigs (the
latest thing, is Intel makes a rig for mining coins
and competes in the same space as BitMain).

If the coins fall in value today, you mine your butt off,
so when the price triples again, you can make
your profit from speculation rather than mining as such.

Or at least that's what you tell yourself, while
ignoring the spreadsheet you're supposed to be using.

You don't have to mine, to speculate. You can just
buy coins when you feel it's hit "rock bottom", and
ride the wave back up. To speculate, you don't need
a GPU or a BitMain/Intel box.

Like levitation, those coins just randomly ride back
up again, when "fundamentals" do not predict such.

Back in the old days, you would buy one Bitcoin (because
at the time it was worth $3), and then promptly forget
where you left it. Later, when it's worth $10000, you're
constantly looking about the room "is it under sofa cushion ?
Did I leave it in shed ?" and so on :-) You never get
to recoup your joke investment, because you
did not take care of it. Nobody wants to be reminded
of that Bitcoin they bought and lost.

Paul

Andrew

May 16, 2022, 10:29:15 AM5/16/22
On 14/05/2022 23:04, Paul wrote:

> Back in the old days, you would buy one Bitcoin (because
> at the time it was worth $3), and then promptly forget
> where you left it. Later, when it's worth $10000, you're
> constantly looking about the room "is it under sofa cushion ?
> Did I leave it in shed ?" and so on :-) You never get
> to recoup your joke investment, because you
> did not take care of it. Nobody wants to be reminded
> of that Bitcoin they bought and lost.
>
>    Paul

There is chap who lives in ?South Wales who binned an old hard
drive many years ago, which held details of bitcoins that he
had allegedly bought when they were a few dollars each.

He even tried to persuade the local council to mine the
landfill site to search for it, in return for a percentage of
the bitcoin value. They declined to take on the risk.