How to remove candle wax from granite hearth

Graham Macfarlane

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98

We have what I believe to be a granite hearth. This has had some
candle wax spilt on it which has left some circular stains which I would
like to remove. So far I have used a scraper to remove the excess wax
from the surface and then used blotting paper and an iron to get some of
the remainder off. Hovever, there are still some marks left. Does anyone
have any suggestions on how best to remove these?

Many thanks for any ideas.
Graham

--
Graham Macfarlane.
email: gm...@ims.co.uk

Ally McDonald

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98

In article <35065D44...@ims.co.uk>, gm...@ims.co.uk says...

> We have what I believe to be a granite hearth. This has had some
> candle wax spilt on it which has left some circular stains which I would
> like to remove. So far I have used a scraper to remove the excess wax
> from the surface and then used blotting paper and an iron to get some of
> the remainder off. Hovever, there are still some marks left. Does anyone
> have any suggestions on how best to remove these?

Don't know about granite, but the advice I have been given for getting
candle wax off carpets involves using an iron and paper/cloth, as you
say, but adding meths before heating.

Ally
--
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as
easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no

Keith Harrison

Mar 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/12/98

In article <MPG.f70a50fd...@newshost.us.oracle.com>, Ally
McDonald <allym_...@usa.net> writes

>In article <35065D44...@ims.co.uk>, gm...@ims.co.uk says...
>> We have what I believe to be a granite hearth. This has had some
>> candle wax spilt on it which has left some circular stains which I would
>> like to remove. So far I have used a scraper to remove the excess wax
>> from the surface and then used blotting paper and an iron to get some of
>> the remainder off. Hovever, there are still some marks left. Does anyone
>> have any suggestions on how best to remove these?
>>

>Don't know about granite, but the advice I have been given for getting
>candle wax off carpets involves using an iron and paper/cloth, as you
>say, but adding meths before heating.

hello all
not too sure about this but i think i recall that some 'rocks' are
porous? (anyone know?) so it may be that the rock (granite in this
case) has actually 'absorbed' the wax/stain.

hope not though

good luck
--
Keith
To dance, or not to dance.....

Dr Jotty

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

Keith Harrison wrote:

> In article <MPG.f70a50fd...@newshost.us.oracle.com>, Ally
> McDonald <allym_...@usa.net> writes
> >In article <35065D44...@ims.co.uk>, gm...@ims.co.uk says...
> >> We have what I believe to be a granite hearth. This has had some
> >> candle wax spilt on it which has left some circular stains which I would
> >> like to remove. So far I have used a scraper to remove the excess wax
> >> from the surface and then used blotting paper and an iron to get some of
> >> the remainder off. Hovever, there are still some marks left. Does anyone
> >> have any suggestions on how best to remove these?

> not too sure about this but i think i recall that some 'rocks' are

> porous? (anyone know?) so it may be that the rock (granite in this
> case) has actually 'absorbed' the wax/stain.
>
> hope not though

Granite is not porous
Wax burns granite doesnot why not do a quick flash with a blow tourch?

Stuart Grant

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

Just a thought, but candles I believe, are made of parrafin wax. Have
you tried parrafin?
Stuart Grant