Numatic Henry turbo brush repair

Bob Eager

Feb 23, 2018, 4:02:04 AM2/23/18
Just thought I'd relate this, as I was surprised the spares were
available.

The air-operated turbo brush on the Henry works tolerably well. Mainly,
elder son uses it - he rarely fixes or even notices much!

I came to use it a few days ago and the brush roller was jammed solid. I
had to dismantle it completely to get the wrapped round hairs, muck etc.
out.

Even the, the brush didn't spin freely. It has metal pins either end that
seat into holes in soft plastic bearings (polypropylene or similar).
Neither moved well. One was OK once cleaned out, but on inspection it
looked as if the other had overheated to the point where hairs, etc. had
melted into the plastic. It would *not* spin freely.

To my amazement, new bearings are available at £1.39 plus postage. It now
works well again!

Brian Reay

Feb 23, 2018, 4:33:24 AM2/23/18
On 23/02/2018 09:02, Bob Eager wrote:
> Just thought I'd relate this, as I was surprised the spares were
> available.
>
> The air-operated turbo brush on the Henry works tolerably well. Mainly,
> elder son uses it - he rarely fixes or even notices much!
>
> I came to use it a few days ago and the brush roller was jammed solid. I
> had to dismantle it completely to get the wrapped round hairs, muck etc.
> out.
>
> Even the, the brush didn't spin freely. It has metal pins either end that
> seat into holes in soft plastic bearings (polypropylene or similar).
> Neither moved well. One was OK once cleaned out, but on inspection it
> looked as if the other had overheated to the point where hairs, etc. had
> melted into the plastic. It would *not* spin freely.
>
> To my amazement, new bearings are available at £1.39 plus postage. It now
> works well again!

The Henry range is brilliant.

Plain, simple, no nonsense.

Parts are cheap and you can get it apart to fix it.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud

Bob Eager

Feb 23, 2018, 5:03:42 AM2/23/18
On Fri, 23 Feb 2018 09:33:21 +0000, Brian Reay wrote:

> On 23/02/2018 09:02, Bob Eager wrote:
>> Just thought I'd relate this, as I was surprised the spares were
>> available.
>>
>> The air-operated turbo brush on the Henry works tolerably well. Mainly,
>> elder son uses it - he rarely fixes or even notices much!
>>
>> I came to use it a few days ago and the brush roller was jammed solid.
>> I had to dismantle it completely to get the wrapped round hairs, muck
>> etc.
>> out.
>>
>> Even the, the brush didn't spin freely. It has metal pins either end
>> that seat into holes in soft plastic bearings (polypropylene or
>> similar). Neither moved well. One was OK once cleaned out, but on
>> inspection it looked as if the other had overheated to the point where
>> hairs, etc. had melted into the plastic. It would *not* spin freely.
>>
>> To my amazement, new bearings are available at £1.39 plus postage. It
>> now works well again!
>>

> The Henry range is brilliant.
>
> Plain, simple, no nonsense.
>
> Parts are cheap and you can get it apart to fix it.

I was more surprised that you could get parts for a separate *accessory*.

Brian Gaff

Feb 23, 2018, 6:39:15 AM2/23/18
I've given up on air driven brushes after a vax I had reduced the suck so
much it was usless when the brush was used.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Bob Eager" <news...@eager.cx> wrote in message

alan_m

Feb 23, 2018, 9:10:13 AM2/23/18
On 23/02/2018 11:39, Brian Gaff wrote:
> I've given up on air driven brushes after a vax I had reduced the suck so
> much it was usless when the brush was used.
> Brian

Air driven brushes on the Henry are not without problems with picking up
large items which can jam the turbine rotor but I find them useful.

However, owning a Henry and seeing how well the brush worked I purchased
a VAX branded air driven brush for another cleaner that it normal kept
and used up-stairs - what a heap of crap. The brushes spin but don't
extend more than a thou' beneath the bottom of the fitting so they don't
actually brush/beat the carpet, and yes, the airflow is much restricted
when used.

tabb...@gmail.com

Feb 23, 2018, 11:27:19 AM2/23/18
Air driven brushes are seldom worth the space they take up

NT

PeterC

Feb 23, 2018, 11:34:20 AM2/23/18
I've a bagless, mains, Hoover upright. I chose it as it had a 'pet' head(?!)
that's air driven. It spins very well - until it's on a surface, then it
slows right down or stops.
The hose is corrugated (very lossy) and the suction gets less and less as
the hose is stretched, of course.
I put the 'turbo'-head on the Nilfisk cannister, full hose and a tube. I
felt that full AG/chainsaw PPE would be a good idea! Watch out pets, your
heads are at risk!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

PeterC

Feb 23, 2018, 11:37:39 AM2/23/18
On 23 Feb 2018 09:02:00 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

> Just thought I'd relate this, as I was surprised the spares were
> available.
>
> The air-operated turbo brush on the Henry works tolerably well. Mainly,
> elder son uses it - he rarely fixes or even notices much!
>
> I came to use it a few days ago and the brush roller was jammed solid. I
> had to dismantle it completely to get the wrapped round hairs, muck etc.
> out.
>
> Even the, the brush didn't spin freely. It has metal pins either end that
> seat into holes in soft plastic bearings (polypropylene or similar).
> Neither moved well. One was OK once cleaned out, but on inspection it
> looked as if the other had overheated to the point where hairs, etc. had
> melted into the plastic. It would *not* spin freely.
>
> To my amazement, new bearings are available at Ł1.39 plus postage. It now
> works well again!

Numatic is very good. I rang up about a problem with a 20 yo Geaorge: I'd
had to buy new tubes as the plastic ones had split and the heads didn't fit.
An adapter was available, I asked for 2 and got them FOC.

BTW, I do fancy the cordless Henry. 2x36V lithium batteries, pretty well
full mains performance and Ł300.

Tim Lamb

Feb 23, 2018, 1:10:06 PM2/23/18
In message <XnsA892979...@81.171.92.183>, pamela
<inv...@nospam.com> writes
>On 09:02 23 Feb 2018, Bob Eager wrote:
>
>> Just thought I'd relate this, as I was surprised the spares were
>> available.
>>
>> The air-operated turbo brush on the Henry works tolerably well.
>> Mainly, elder son uses it - he rarely fixes or even notices much!
>>
>> I came to use it a few days ago and the brush roller was jammed
>> solid. I had to dismantle it completely to get the wrapped round
>> hairs, muck etc. out.
>>
>> Even the, the brush didn't spin freely. It has metal pins either
>> end that seat into holes in soft plastic bearings (polypropylene
>> or similar). Neither moved well. One was OK once cleaned out, but
>> on inspection it looked as if the other had overheated to the
>> point where hairs, etc. had melted into the plastic. It would
>> *not* spin freely.
>>
>> To my amazement, new bearings are available at £1.39 plus
>> postage. It now works well again!
>
>When I spoke to Numatic about getting a Henry, I was advised to make
>sure I used their own-brand Hepaflo dust bags. I thought this was
>the usual con to steer me towards some vastly overpriced items but
>they turned out to be as cheap as chips. Well almost.

They still clog with plaster dust:-(

--
Tim Lamb

alan_m

Feb 23, 2018, 2:31:01 PM2/23/18
On 23/02/2018 17:56, Tim Lamb wrote:

> They still clog with plaster dust:-(

Yes, BUT before they do the weight of plaster dust in the bag is
substantial and it doesn't migrate further to the filters before the motor.

The Natural Philosopher

Feb 24, 2018, 7:26:22 AM2/24/18
On 23/02/18 09:02, Bob Eager wrote:
> Just thought I'd relate this, as I was surprised the spares were
> available.
>
> The air-operated turbo brush on the Henry works tolerably well. Mainly,
> elder son uses it - he rarely fixes or even notices much!
>
> I came to use it a few days ago and the brush roller was jammed solid. I
> had to dismantle it completely to get the wrapped round hairs, muck etc.
> out.
>
> Even the, the brush didn't spin freely. It has metal pins either end that
> seat into holes in soft plastic bearings (polypropylene or similar).
> Neither moved well. One was OK once cleaned out, but on inspection it
> looked as if the other had overheated to the point where hairs, etc. had
> melted into the plastic. It would *not* spin freely.
>
> To my amazement, new bearings are available at £1.39 plus postage. It now
> works well again!

British design, made in Britain by a British company.

Of course spares are available!

The Natural Philosopher

Feb 24, 2018, 7:30:48 AM2/24/18
On 23/02/18 10:03, Bob Eager wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Feb 2018 09:33:21 +0000, Brian Reay wrote:
>
>> On 23/02/2018 09:02, Bob Eager wrote:
>>> Just thought I'd relate this, as I was surprised the spares were
>>> available.
>>>
>>> The air-operated turbo brush on the Henry works tolerably well. Mainly,
>>> elder son uses it - he rarely fixes or even notices much!
>>>
>>> I came to use it a few days ago and the brush roller was jammed solid.
>>> I had to dismantle it completely to get the wrapped round hairs, muck
>>> etc.
>>> out.
>>>
>>> Even the, the brush didn't spin freely. It has metal pins either end
>>> that seat into holes in soft plastic bearings (polypropylene or
>>> similar). Neither moved well. One was OK once cleaned out, but on
>>> inspection it looked as if the other had overheated to the point where
>>> hairs, etc. had melted into the plastic. It would *not* spin freely.
>>>
>>> To my amazement, new bearings are available at £1.39 plus postage. It
>>> now works well again!
>>>

>> The Henry range is brilliant.
>>
>> Plain, simple, no nonsense.
>>
>> Parts are cheap and you can get it apart to fix it.
>
> I was more surprised that you could get parts for a separate *accessory*.

Its simply an attitude. Because every single component to make any part
of a Henry is on a shelf in store at Numatic, the decision as to
whether to sell them as spares and at what price is simply marketing.

Numatic have taken the revolutionary and old fashioned approach towards
customer service, which is to regard customers as something to be
served, not duped into parting with cash for shoddy products that break
one second out of warranty and cannot be dismantled.

Yes, smartphone, I am looking at you....

richjenn13

Dec 5, 2021, 10:01:43 AM12/5/21
£1.39! where from?

Ransome spares quoting £14!!

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/numatic-henry-turbo-brush-repair-1271393-.htm

Fredxx

Dec 5, 2021, 10:14:24 AM12/5/21
On 05/12/2021 15:01, richjenn13 wrote:
> £1.39! where from?
>
> Ransome spares quoting £14!!

It's probably called inflation.

Before replying to an 3 year old post from a broken website, please read
and digest this:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Home_owners_hub

Bob Eager

Dec 5, 2021, 2:02:46 PM12/5/21
On Sun, 05 Dec 2021 15:01:40 +0000, richjenn13 wrote:

> £1.39! where from?
>
> Ransome spares quoting £14!!

That was my post. eBay.