traditional roof

Neil

Sep 29, 2005, 7:33:47 AM9/29/05
I am putting a traditional roof on my sons garage (wallplates already in
position). Can anyone recommend a website or give me the best order of
proceeding. For example is it best to start by putting ridge board into wall
and putting a set of rafters at the gable end. I have never done one before
but fancy having a go. Someone sent me a link to making the birdsmouth
cuts so I am okay with that.
Any advice or tips would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Neil

Rick

Oct 4, 2005, 9:07:43 AM10/4/05
On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 12:33:47 +0100, "Neil" <ne...@lockhead.fsnet.co.uk>
wrote:

OK here goes, I just built my first roof, its 125 square meteres and
has 4 different interceting ridge lines, oh, and the walls arn't
square.

I had a ridge beam, so my rafters rested on the ridge and the wall
plate. I put the first rafter up, and marked it, cut it, and supprise
myself when it fitted. I then measured the position of the cuts on all
the rest, and cut away, a few days later I had one section done.

I guessed 5 days work before I started, it took neerer 25 days, the
hip jack rafters were taking 3-4 hours each to get right.

What I would change
1) use the smallest timer possible, I used 6x3 green dougals fir, at
15 foot long it weights too much to mess arround with.
2) I would get the walls parellel, and also parallel to the ridge, I
would take much (like days worth) care about this.
3) I would buy a decent jigsaw to do the cuts, the chop saw was a pain
in the arse with wood that big and heavy.

Wihat I did right
1) I purchased too much wood - and used it all.
2) I did the biggest bits first, so any mis cuts could be reused
3) scaffold - lots of it, I can't do a good job if I am scared of
falling.

I also used a pile of battons to place up on the roof, to give me an
idea of what I was aiming at, this really helped.

I have a book, which I can't remember the title of, but amazon have
several on framing roofs - it helped quite a bit, lots of good
pictures !!

Rick

Antonio Menapoli

Feb 16, 2024, 1:34:03 AMFeb 16

Jeff Gaines

Feb 16, 2024, 3:20:53 AMFeb 16
On 16/02/2024 in message
<17b44448ea6689fc$418047$1065885$4026...@news.newsgroupdirect.com>
Antonio Menapoli wrote:

>I think

Therefore you am?

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to get along without it.

The Natural Philosopher

Feb 16, 2024, 3:50:28 AMFeb 16
On 16/02/2024 08:20, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> On 16/02/2024 in message
> <17b44448ea6689fc$418047$1065885$4026...@news.newsgroupdirect.com>
> Antonio Menapoli wrote:
>
>> I think
>
> Therefore you am?

No. Therefore he heard it on the BBC/read it in theGuardian.

Ewan.Davids

Feb 17, 2024, 2:33:26 PMFeb 17
Discussing my first roof build, it spanned 125 square meters with 4 intersecting ridge lines. Challenges included non-square walls and hefty timber. Reflections suggest using smaller timber and ensuring wall and ridge alignment. Safety was paramount with ample scaffold. Visual aids and a helpful framing book proved invaluable.

Tim Streater

Feb 18, 2024, 3:58:10 AMFeb 18
On 17 Feb 2024 at 19:33:22 GMT, "Ewan.Davids"
<4c9d12a9caaa1861...@example.com> wrote:

> Discussing my first roof build, it spanned 125 square meters with 4
> intersecting ridge lines. Challenges included non-square walls and hefty
> timber. Reflections suggest using smaller timber and ensuring wall and ridge
> alignment. Safety was paramount with ample scaffold. Visual aids and a helpful
> framing book proved invaluable.

Was there some point to this reply to an 18-year old post?

When the google groups garbage gets switched off, will we also be free of
these homeowners dweebs?

--
"A committee is a cul-de-sac down which ideas are lured and then quietly strangled." - Sir Barnett Cocks (1907-1989)

The Natural Philosopher

Feb 18, 2024, 4:16:31 AMFeb 18
On 18/02/2024 08:58, Tim Streater wrote:
> When the google groups garbage gets switched off, will we also be free of
> these homeowners dweebs?

Sadly not I fear...

--
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over
the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that

Frédéric Bastiat