( Possy OT) :Additional TV Speakers

1 view

NOSP...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2008, 8:09:18 AM7/30/08
I've never been particularly happpy with the sound from my TV so
routed the sound via my Hi-Fi speakers by plugging in phono leads from
the back of the TV to the amp aux connection and turning down the
sound on the TV remote to zero . If I want to mute the sound I need to
use the Hi-Fi remote .
As I wanted to move the Hi-Fi elsewhere I recently tried another way
by plugging in a couple of mains powered computer speakers instead but
that has the disadvantage that other than switching the TV to standby
or getting up and turning these speakers off I can't mute the sound .

Ideally I would want a pair of speakers that I could plug in to the TV
( similar to the computer speakers) but that could be controlled
remotely ...is that possible ...you would have thought that the TV
Man'frs would have designed the set so that using the TV Mute on the
remote would also have muted the sound going to the additional
speakers plugged in to the connections at the back .

Mortimer

Jul 30, 2008, 8:12:46 AM7/30/08
<NOSP...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Yes, but the two different uses of the TV mute are mutually exclusive. When
playing via your hifi, you want to mute just the TV speakers and leave the
line output on the back unaffected; when playing via the computer speakers
which have no remote-control for the volume, you want TV mute to mute the
line output as well. You can't have both!

Computer speakers with remote control would be useful to have, though!

Marcus Houlden

Jul 30, 2008, 8:30:29 AM7/30/08
On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 13:09:18 +0100, NOSP...@gmail.com <NOSP...@gmail.com>
wrote the following to uk.media.tv.misc:

Couldn't you just use the headphone socket?

mh.
--
http://www.nukesoft.co.uk
http://personal.nukesoft.co.uk

From address is a blackhole. Reply-to address is valid.

meow...@care2.com

Jul 30, 2008, 8:45:04 AM7/30/08

Its easily done, you just need to supply the PC speakers from the
internal speaker connections. Warning to anyone and everyone: this is
dangerous to do with many TVs, but if yours has external phono sockets
then its fine, it wont be live chassis.

If you've got a headphone socket on the set you can just use that. If
not you need to add a 3.5mm stereo socket connected to the internal
speakers, and you need to get the polarities right. Socket ground goes
to - on one speaker, and the other 2 + spkr connections go to one
socket pin each. Note that + or - m,arking on the speakers dont mean
anything int his case, you need to follow thw wire already connected
to them to see which side is chassis (-) and which comes from the
output chip or transistors (+). Also note these + and - designations
have nothing to do with polarity.

Final safety note, there are several safety problems inside TVs, and
letting them sit unplugged for a week does not solve them.

NT

NOSP...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2008, 8:58:20 AM7/30/08
On 30 Jul 2008 12:30:29 GMT, Marcus Houlden <sp...@nukesoft.co.uk>
wrote:

Yeah...I did think of that as it gives better sound but then you have
the problem of not hearing the door bell or the phone ..which could
,of course,be a blessing !!!

PeterMcC

Jul 30, 2008, 9:09:09 AM7/30/08
NOSP...@gmail.com wrote in
<qio094h2cgo32iqko...@4ax.com>

I suspect that the suggestion was to use the TV's headphone socket by
plugging a lead from that to your amplifier. That way the sound comes out of
the amp's speakers and the jack in the headphone socket will, in most cases,
kill the TV's speakers.

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Dave Plowman (News)

Jul 30, 2008, 9:03:10 AM7/30/08
In article <e9l094962kjo8t0e5...@4ax.com>,

<NOSP...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've never been particularly happpy with the sound from my TV

True - and they've got worse recently with the fashion of flat screens so
nowhere to put decent speakers.

> so routed the sound via my Hi-Fi speakers by plugging in phono leads
> from the back of the TV to the amp aux connection and turning down the
> sound on the TV remote to zero . If I want to mute the sound I need to
> use the Hi-Fi remote . As I wanted to move the Hi-Fi elsewhere I
> recently tried another way by plugging in a couple of mains powered
> computer speakers instead but that has the disadvantage that other than
> switching the TV to standby or getting up and turning these speakers off
> I can't mute the sound .

This is usual as the line output might be feeding a recorder and you
wouldn't want to mute that.

> Ideally I would want a pair of speakers that I could plug in to the TV
> ( similar to the computer speakers) but that could be controlled
> remotely ...is that possible ...you would have thought that the TV
> Man'frs would have designed the set so that using the TV Mute on the
> remote would also have muted the sound going to the additional
> speakers plugged in to the connections at the back .

It would if you had and used extension *speaker* outputs on the set in use
rather than line outputs. Although I suppose makers could easily give you
the choice in software. Not sure if any do, though.

Vellerman used to do an infra red remote volume and mute kit once - from
Maplin. Dunno if they still do.

--
*Everybody lies, but it doesn't matter since nobody listens*

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Calum

Jul 30, 2008, 9:35:30 AM7/30/08
PeterMcC wrote:

> I suspect that the suggestion was to use the TV's headphone socket by
> plugging a lead from that to your amplifier. That way the sound comes out of
> the amp's speakers and the jack in the headphone socket will, in most cases,
> kill the TV's speakers.

Yep, and (on my telly at least) the headphone output responds to the
mute button on the remote, too, which was one of the other requirements...

NOSP...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2008, 10:34:08 AM7/30/08
On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 14:09:09 +0100, "PeterMcC" <pe...@mccourt.org.uk>
wrote:

Thx for all the help guys ..Got it sorted . A lead from the headphone
socket on the telly( On the front unfortunately) to the computer
speakers OR to the aux connection on the hi-fi both work ,cutting out
the telly speakers but still can be muted by the TV remote .

Owain

Jul 30, 2008, 11:04:44 AM7/30/08
Mortimer wrote:
>> I've never been particularly happpy with the sound from my TV so
>> routed the sound via my Hi-Fi speakers by plugging in phono leads from
>> the back of the TV to the amp aux connection and turning down the
>> sound on the TV remote to zero . If I want to mute the sound I need to
>> use the Hi-Fi remote .

I took the audio feed from the back of the freeview box (which had
separate phono sockets for audio out). The TV remote is now only used
for turning the TV on/standby - which is hardly at all, as if I'm not
watching it I usually turn it off properly - and the freeview box remote
is used for changing channels.

The point of this is: the freeview box remote has a mute button. The
telly is permanently set at minimum volume.

Owain

Frank Erskine

Jul 30, 2008, 12:04:25 PM7/30/08

You can also get audio from a Peritel ("SCART") connector.

--
Frank Erskine

PeterMcC

Jul 30, 2008, 12:21:58 PM7/30/08
NOSP...@gmail.com wrote in
<1qu094p8nkb2ipobg...@4ax.com>

<snip>

> Thx for all the help guys ..Got it sorted . A lead from the headphone
> socket on the telly( On the front unfortunately) to the computer
> speakers OR to the aux connection on the hi-fi both work ,cutting out
> the telly speakers but still can be muted by the TV remote .

Excellent - enjoy.