Cheapest place for carpet?

13 views
Skip to first unread message

ALP

unread,
Sep 8, 2007, 11:09:58 AM9/8/07
to
Hi

Thinking of re-carpeting the house.

Question is where is the cheapest place to buy? We are looking to get carpet
and udnerlay but still keep it fairly cheapend of the scale.

Basically there seems to be 2 areas to go - big companes liek Carpet Land
and Allied Crapets and the smaller local ones.

The smaller local ones are *way* more expensive than the big shops IME.

Are there any other big warehouse type places I could look to get some
fairly cheap carpet?

I'm in Hampshire. But they would have to deliver obviously.

Cheers

Steve Firth

unread,
Sep 8, 2007, 2:26:28 PM9/8/07
to
ALP <N...@SPAM.COM> wrote:

> Question is where is the cheapest place to buy? We are looking to get carpet
> and udnerlay but still keep it fairly cheapend of the scale.

[snip]

> I'm in Hampshire. But they would have to deliver obviously.

Hampshire, as someone has said elsewhere, is a big place. However if
you're in central(ish) Hampshire I'd recommend having a look at Harry's
carpets at Farringdon on the A32 near Alton.

Although he's one of the small places you wrote off as too expensive,
his prices and quality are excellent.

meow...@care2.com

unread,
Sep 8, 2007, 5:56:08 PM9/8/07
to
ALP wrote:

Low end carpets arent that great, dont know how low youre
going of course. If budget is issueful, you could free up money
for better carpets in the bigger rooms if you use freecycle carpets
for the smaller rooms. Its doable if youve got or can borrow a
carpet cleaner.

Also why pay for underlay when you can use cleaned used
carpets, and again this saving could get you from cheap carpets
into the good quality bracket.


NT

Lobster

unread,
Sep 9, 2007, 8:22:16 AM9/9/07
to
ALP wrote:

> Thinking of re-carpeting the house.
>
> Question is where is the cheapest place to buy? We are looking to get
> carpet and udnerlay but still keep it fairly cheapend of the scale.
>
> Basically there seems to be 2 areas to go - big companes liek Carpet
> Land and Allied Crapets and the smaller local ones.

One point to bear in mind that typically the big carpet warehouses will
suck you in to buy a cheap carpet at at an apparently bargain price, but
when they add in underlay, gripper bars etc you find the total price
goes up dramatically, because the latter bits are where they make all
their profit.

The Thing to Do is to buy everything but the actual carpet from an
online supplier like:
http://www.discounted-carpet-underlay.co.uk/index.html

...who I've used and can recommend.

David

ALP

unread,
Sep 8, 2007, 10:54:40 PM9/8/07
to
I'm in south hampshire.

USED carpets? i dunno sounds a bit dirty even if they have been cleaned!

-

I spose I am just wondering if there are any good shops around here i
probably haven't heard of - i might check ebay tho.

Lobster

unread,
Sep 9, 2007, 8:34:39 AM9/9/07
to
meow...@care2.com wrote:

> Also why pay for underlay when you can use cleaned used
> carpets, and again this saving could get you from cheap carpets
> into the good quality bracket.

I think most people would agree that this would be totally false
economy: the presence of and quality of underlay is very important to
the longevity of the actual carpet itself, and shouldn't be scrimped on.

Especially not by using old carpet as underlay - it's not intended for
that use and you'll regret it when your actual carpets are worn ou in a
couple of years.

Decent underlay also *feels* nicer to walk on as well.

David


meow...@care2.com

unread,
Sep 9, 2007, 9:33:48 AM9/9/07
to
Lobster wrote:
> meow...@care2.com wrote:

Well, thats not my experience so far. Removed a 4yo carpet laid
on old carpet, it was in perfect condition - apart from the reason it
was removed, which had nothing to do with wear.

Of course purpose designed underlay is a bit better, but when
youre buying budget carpet and underlay would double the total
price its not worthwhile. Makes far more sense to spend the
money on better carpet.


NT

Steve Firth

unread,
Sep 9, 2007, 9:49:01 AM9/9/07
to
ALP <N...@SPAM.COM> wrote:

> I spose I am just wondering if there are any good shops around here i
> probably haven't heard of - i might check ebay tho.

Since we don't know where "here" is it's a bit difficult to say.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages