Fridge/Freezers - manufacturers to go for and to avoid?

jamma-plusser

May 24, 2008, 2:23:12 PM5/24/08
Currently looking into getting a new fridge/freezer and am looking at
an Indesit - are they a make to go for or to avoid?

Any other manufacturer recommendations please, either good or bad?

Thanks

@diddle.dot Donwill

May 24, 2008, 3:26:23 PM5/24/08
On a recommendation from a friend I went for "Miele", Only a year ago mind
you, so far so good.
Cheers
Don
"jamma-plusser" <jamma-...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
fronews:48385caa....@news.zen.co.uk...

Andy Hall

May 24, 2008, 3:53:32 PM5/24/08

Take a look at Liebherr

A much better product and build quality.

Rod

May 24, 2008, 4:31:40 PM5/24/08

In case you are not sure which of the two replies so far to believe, I
have been led to believe that Miele don't actually make their
refrigeration products, they're made by Liebherr. (Hopefully someone
will confirm?)

We bought a Miele freezer a year or so ago. On the basis of that, I
would happily buy another of their products. Bought a Bosch refrigerator
at the same time. That is also OK but somehow doesn't seem quite so good.

--
Rod

onset.
<www.thyromind.info> <www.thyroiduk.org> <www.altsupportthyroid.org>

tony sayer

May 24, 2008, 4:30:56 PM5/24/08
In article <4838723c@qaanaaq>, Andy Hall <an...@hall.nospam> scribeth
thus

Yep .. a service tech the only one we could find to sort out our
Scheriber ballsed up fridge recommended them highly....
--
Tony Sayer

The Natural Philosopher

May 24, 2008, 4:38:01 PM5/24/08
Rod wrote:
> jamma-plusser wrote:
>> Currently looking into getting a new fridge/freezer and am looking at
>> an Indesit - are they a make to go for or to avoid?
>>
>> Any other manufacturer recommendations please, either good or bad?
>>

> In case you are not sure which of the two replies so far to believe, I
> have been led to believe that Miele don't actually make their
> refrigeration products, they're made by Liebherr. (Hopefully someone
> will confirm?)

Ive got a Liebherr. Apart from overloading the plastic door skin that
holds the milk bottles shelves and splitting it, its a very decent frdge
with a little freezer at the top. Definitely if not total Miele quality,
the 'best of the rest'

.

> We bought a Miele freezer a year or so ago. On the basis of that, I
> would happily buy another of their products. Bought a Bosch refrigerator
> at the same time. That is also OK but somehow doesn't seem quite so good.

I've got better things to do than fix buggered white goods. Miele
washing machine now installed. Flawless to date.

meow...@care2.com

May 24, 2008, 5:30:19 PM5/24/08
jamma-plusser wrote:

FFs of all makes seem to be quite reliable, I've had various makes
from posh to low end, and none have given inadequate performance
or life. Because of this I dont see personal experiences telling you
much - unless its that paying for a high ticket one is pointless.

Oh, the exception is frost frees, those have a noticeably higher
failure rate. But even with those I've not seen any proving
inadequate.

In fact since they perform so well, buying a 1yr old one may be a
good bet. Unless you want a full size ff one, you wont find those
used too often.

NT

jamma-plusser

May 24, 2008, 5:50:36 PM5/24/08
On Sat, 24 May 2008 14:30:19 -0700 (PDT), meow...@care2.com wrote:

Thanks very much for all the recommendations.

Tim S

May 24, 2008, 5:51:58 PM5/24/08
jamma-plusser coughed up some electrons that declared:

Hotpoint freezer, 13 years old, still going strong. Not clever, needs
defrosting 2-3 times a year, but simple, quiet and reliable.

Miele fridge - totally the dog's gonads. I *will* vouch that fruit and veg
keep noticeably longer (several days longer) in the fancy veggie drawers (I
forget the marketing name, but it's not the salad crisper drawers, but a
seperate set underneath - claim to maintain a certain humidity). Stuff
doesn't wilt like it used to in my old fridge.

Meat and fish seem to keep longer too - I have no problems with running 2
days past the "use by" date on this food group and I haven't died yet.

We have reduced wastage by about 10% since getting the fridge and I have the
confidence to load it up with a weekly shop and not ave any nasty
surprises.

Cheers

Tim

John Stumbles

May 24, 2008, 8:43:53 PM5/24/08
On Sat, 24 May 2008 18:23:12 +0000, jamma-plusser wrote:

> Currently looking into getting a new fridge/freezer and am looking at
> an Indesit - are they a make to go for or to avoid?

We're on our 3rd Hotpoint (part of same group as Indesit) frost-free
fridge freezer in 2 years.

Actually our 4th if you count the first one which when it arrived turned
out not to be a frost-free fridge freezer but only a frost-free freezer
with a normal fridge: apparently some PHB at Hotpoint/Indeshit decided
they could upgrade their machines by calling them that, and calling real
frost-free fridge-freezers "Fully Frost-Free Fridge Freezers". Grrr: took
6 weeks to get the pretend one taken away and a real one in its place.

FFFFF#1 stopped cooling stuff properly after 3 months. Engineer defrosted
it. 3 months later I defrosted it ... and again a few months later. H-I
sent a succession of dozy engineers and aventually (by which time
it needed defrosting every few days) we got a new one.

FFFFF#2 started playing up after a few months. This time the engineer
diagnosed loss of coolant and ordered a swap machine straight away.

We're keeping our fingers crossed with FFFFF#3.

A side-effect is that I've become almost proficient at swapping the doors
on the damn' things over from right- to left-hand hinging. Involves screws
with different types of heads, drilling holes, and tipping the machine
over backwards to remove and relocate a tiny metal plate which
wouldn't have been necessary it they'd fitted them to both sides at a cost
of an extra £0.0001 or thereabouts.

--
John Stumbles

Testiculate [v.t]
To wave one's arms around while talking bollocks.

Piers Finlayson

May 25, 2008, 3:41:12 AM5/25/08

"jamma-plusser" <jamma-...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Have an Indesit FF, and had it for 1 yr, with no problems so far. Unlike
other white goods (eg washing machine) I don't really see the point of
paying a lot of money of a "decent make" FF. I figure if it's going to
break it'll likely be an early life failure or an end of life failure. If
the former then I'll just get another free out of the retailer. I doubt the
lifetime is that much different between the good makes and the cheapo ones.

Will second John's comment about it being a right royal pain the arse to
swap the fridge door over. Spent a good hour swearing at the designer while
doing it.

Tim..

May 25, 2008, 7:42:10 AM5/25/08

> Currently looking into getting a new fridge/freezer and am looking at
> an Indesit - are they a make to go for or to avoid?
>
> Any other manufacturer recommendations please, either good or bad?

No.

Liebherr, (good enough for Miele so make your own assumptions here) or
Bosch.

Tim.

John

May 25, 2008, 9:04:00 AM5/25/08

"Tim.." <the.f...@spam.btinternet.com> wrote in message
Assume that if you buy an expensive one you will scratch or dent the door
and it will look an eye-sore but as you will feel it hasn't earned its keep
and you will put up with it for 15 years. If this happens to a cheap one you
will just replace it.

Andy Hall

May 25, 2008, 9:13:40 AM5/25/08

.. or if it's a decent one, claim on the contents insurance.

Rod

May 25, 2008, 9:25:24 AM5/25/08

Consider - the cheapest Indesit is £200 and the cheapest Liebherr is
£300 [1].

If I could afford to bin a scratched 200 pound Indesit, I wouldn't have
that much problem doing the same to a 300 pound Liebherr - at least well
within 15 years. (Of course, if you pay 900 pounds for a stainless steel
Miele you might think differently. But I did not get the impression that
the OP was likely to be going for top of range Miele.)

[1] John Lewis prices - approx.

Owain

May 25, 2008, 12:57:49 PM5/25/08
John wrote:
> Assume that if you buy an expensive one you will scratch or dent the door
> and it will look an eye-sore but as you will feel it hasn't earned its keep
> and you will put up with it for 15 years. If this happens to a cheap one you
> will just replace it.

So why not buy a pre-scratched expensive one and save money?

I just bought a pre-scratched laptop as I knew that if I had a new shiny
one it would be painful when the first scratch arrived.

Anyway, it's not scratched, it's "distressed"

Owain

Andrew Gabriel

May 26, 2008, 6:58:39 AM5/26/08
In article <48388df4$0$664$5a6a...@news.aaisp.net.uk>,

Tim S <t...@dionic.net> writes:
> jamma-plusser coughed up some electrons that declared:
>
>> Currently looking into getting a new fridge/freezer and am looking at
>> an Indesit - are they a make to go for or to avoid?

Indesit, Hotpoint, Ariston, (and maybe others) are names
now owned by the Italian Merloni Brothers.

>> Any other manufacturer recommendations please, either good or bad?

For reliability, avoid frost free which introduces lots of
extra less reliable single points of failure. A Basic non-
frost-free freezer really has very little to go wrong, and
the components are extremely reliable.

> Hotpoint freezer, 13 years old, still going strong. Not clever, needs
> defrosting 2-3 times a year, but simple, quiet and reliable.

You might consider checking the door seal. My Hotpoint is 7
years old, and I'm just thinking about doing its first defrost.

Note that 13 years ago, Hotpoint was part of GEC and made in
Peterborough. Their products had a high reputation back then.
The name has changed hands a few times since then. Not saying
for the better or worse, but I don't think you can just assume
that your appliance is necessarily representitive of anything
you might buy today. That's true of much of the white goods
industry.

--
Andrew Gabriel

meow...@care2.com

May 26, 2008, 8:01:55 AM5/26/08
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
> In article <48388df4$0$664$5a6a...@news.aaisp.net.uk>,
> Tim S <t...@dionic.net> writes:
> > jamma-plusser coughed up some electrons that declared:

> >> Currently looking into getting a new fridge/freezer and am looking at
> >> an Indesit - are they a make to go for or to avoid?
>
> Indesit, Hotpoint, Ariston, (and maybe others) are names
> now owned by the Italian Merloni Brothers.
>
> >> Any other manufacturer recommendations please, either good or bad?
>
> For reliability, avoid frost free which introduces lots of
> extra less reliable single points of failure. A Basic non-
> frost-free freezer really has very little to go wrong, and
> the components are extremely reliable.

Yes. Defrosting is downtime too though, and personally I'm
glad not to need to defrost, so I'd still choose frost free if funds
permit

NT

Tim S

May 26, 2008, 3:02:12 PM5/26/08
Andrew Gabriel coughed up some electrons that declared:

> In article <48388df4$0$664$5a6a...@news.aaisp.net.uk>,
> Tim S <t...@dionic.net> writes:
>> jamma-plusser coughed up some electrons that declared:
>>
>>> Currently looking into getting a new fridge/freezer and am looking at
>>> an Indesit - are they a make to go for or to avoid?
>
> Indesit, Hotpoint, Ariston, (and maybe others) are names
> now owned by the Italian Merloni Brothers.
>
>>> Any other manufacturer recommendations please, either good or bad?
>
> For reliability, avoid frost free which introduces lots of
> extra less reliable single points of failure. A Basic non-
> frost-free freezer really has very little to go wrong, and
> the components are extremely reliable.
>
>> Hotpoint freezer, 13 years old, still going strong. Not clever, needs
>> defrosting 2-3 times a year, but simple, quiet and reliable.
>
> You might consider checking the door seal. My Hotpoint is 7
> years old, and I'm just thinking about doing its first defrost.

Possibly - after all this time it's probably hardened. BTW - how did you
manage 7 years? I did once a year when the freezer was new and I didn;t
have little hands in it every five minutes back then...

> Note that 13 years ago, Hotpoint was part of GEC and made in
> Peterborough. Their products had a high reputation back then.
> The name has changed hands a few times since then. Not saying
> for the better or worse, but I don't think you can just assume
> that your appliance is necessarily representitive of anything
> you might buy today. That's true of much of the white goods
> industry.

Good point. Even Bosch is effectively two brands; I remmember reading that
the good stuff is more or less german and the cheap stuff is spanish made
very much to a price. "Logixx" isn't bad and is (was?) german made (but not
in the class of say Miele). "Classix" is cheap crap IMO. Not sure which
camp "Excell" fell in.

Cheers

Tim

Bob Mannix

May 27, 2008, 3:34:25 AM5/27/08
"Andrew Gabriel" <and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> In article <48388df4$0$664$5a6a...@news.aaisp.net.uk>,
> Tim S <t...@dionic.net> writes:
>> jamma-plusser coughed up some electrons that declared:
>>
>>> Currently looking into getting a new fridge/freezer and am looking at
>>> an Indesit - are they a make to go for or to avoid?
>
> Indesit, Hotpoint, Ariston, (and maybe others) are names
> now owned by the Italian Merloni Brothers.

Indeed, plus New World, Creda - not sure about "now", many years! Their
spares network is (or was) pants

Candy (down the road from the Merlonis) have Hoover (probably least said)

Meanwhile the Swedes keep the n. europe end up with Electrolux (Zanussi,
AEG, Frigidaire) OK

Then there's Robert Bosch and Miele (The Germans major on single
owner/family corporations) good + expensive and very good + very expensive

Personally I like the young Turks. Bought a Beko washing machine for 1/4 the
price of a Miele. It washes clothes fine without complaint or drama and I
could buy 4 new replacements to match the Miele supposed extra lifetime.

You pays yer money.....

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

The Natural Philosopher

May 27, 2008, 3:56:00 AM5/27/08

Which is probably what you *will* have to do.

As resources get meor and more expensive, the balance of economics will
shift towards better design, ans people will have to pay a lot more for
materials, and will insist on a better lifetime to match.

I like the Miele philosophy which seems to be 'if t will fit in the
drum, it wont break the machine'.

> You pays yer money.....

Tim S

May 27, 2008, 5:59:09 AM5/27/08
The Natural Philosopher coughed up some electrons that declared:

> Bob Mannix wrote:

<snip>

>> Personally I like the young Turks. Bought a Beko washing machine for 1/4
>> the price of a Miele. It washes clothes fine without complaint or drama
>> and I could buy 4 new replacements to match the Miele supposed extra
>> lifetime.
>>

> Which is probably what you *will* have to do.
>

> As resources get meor and more expensive, the balance of economics will
> shift towards better design, ans people will have to pay a lot more for
> materials, and will insist on a better lifetime to match.

Hallelujah! At last a return to sanity... Perhaps there is some hope after
all.

Cheers

Tim

Owain

May 27, 2008, 1:19:30 PM5/27/08
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> I like the Miele philosophy which seems to be 'if t will fit in the
> drum, it wont break the machine'.

Use it as ein vashingmaschine am Montag, use it as ein concretemixer am
Samstag, ja.

I have a similar philosophy when it comes to furniture. If I can
stand/sit/climb on it, it should be able to take my weight.

Owain