Baxi Bermuda problems

Steve

Oct 22, 2005, 11:34:24 AM10/22/05
Hello,

We have a Baxi Bermuda 50/4E back boiler and Bermuda "Inset 2 Super" gas
fire. All electronic.

This has been installed for us about 5 years by CORGI engineer and it is
the first problem we have had.

When cool, the boiler lights first time with the reassuring "whoosh"
that we have grown used to but after about 10 minutes it cuts out and
then repeatedly tries to reignite, fails, then tries again etc. The
sound is just that of a flame being blown out or running out of fuel, if
you know what I mean! Left for another 10 mins to cool, the boiler will
re-fire and run for, say, another 10 mins then the problem starts again.

Hot water and heating are both affected. The motorised valves are OK as
I can get either/both hot water and/or heating from the boiler whilst it
is running. I have also purged air from the radiators and also from the
stub by the pump (which by the vibration and temperature and also rads
getting warm would indicate that the pump is working OK) to no avail.

It was suggested to me by a friend that the "Gas valve" has failed. This
seems unlikely as I can hear our gas meter making the normal (money
gobbling) noise when gas flows each time it tries to ignite. Between
attempts, the meter is quiet. This would suggest to me that the gas
valve is OK.

I am not going to tinker with a gas appliance, unless this is a simple
well known problem that does not require anything other than a part that
can be changed by me without any problems and I doubt very much that
will be the case :-(

What would the normal cause of this problem be?

How much would a good engineer charge?

Any info or advice very gladly received before calling people out!

Thanks Steve

Dave Fawthrop

Oct 22, 2005, 11:52:41 AM10/22/05
On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 15:34:24 GMT, Steve <se018...@blueyonder.co.uk>
wrote:

| When cool, the boiler lights first time with the reassuring "whoosh"
| that we have grown used to but after about 10 minutes it cuts out and
| then repeatedly tries to reignite, fails, then tries again etc. The
| sound is just that of a flame being blown out or running out of fuel, if
| you know what I mean! Left for another 10 mins to cool, the boiler will
| re-fire and run for, say, another 10 mins then the problem starts again.

Replace the thermocouple first. They are readily available and easy to
change. They have a limited life.
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk>
The London suicide bombers killed innocent commuters.

Ed Sirett

Oct 22, 2005, 2:03:58 PM10/22/05
On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 16:52:41 +0100, Dave Fawthrop wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 15:34:24 GMT, Steve <se018...@blueyonder.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
> | When cool, the boiler lights first time with the reassuring "whoosh"
> | that we have grown used to but after about 10 minutes it cuts out and
> | then repeatedly tries to reignite, fails, then tries again etc. The
> | sound is just that of a flame being blown out or running out of fuel, if
> | you know what I mean! Left for another 10 mins to cool, the boiler will
> | re-fire and run for, say, another 10 mins then the problem starts again.
>
> Replace the thermocouple first. They are readily available and easy to
> change. They have a limited life.

This is a modern incarnation of a old design, it has electronic ignition
to try to make up for its inherent inefficiency.

Since this is an open-flued appliance it is not just good practice to have
this checked/cleaned each year it is foolhardy not to do so.

My guess is that some dirt/lint/debris/crap has made the air flow change
on the burner so that when it gets hot the flame supervision fails.

I would suggest that the appliance is serviced and take it from there.

SteveCool

Sep 28, 2021, 12:31:35 PMSep 28
Hello Steve I know this was 15 years ago but I have exactly the same problem now. What was the solution?

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/baxi-bermuda-problems-204568-.htm

Owain Lastname

Sep 28, 2021, 2:19:05 PMSep 28
On Tuesday, 28 September 2021 at 17:31:35 UTC+1, SteveCool wrote:
> Hello Steve I know this was 15 years ago but I have exactly the same problem now. What was the solution?

Probably by now, "get a combi boiler"

Owain

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Sep 29, 2021, 3:49:15 AMSep 29
I often wonder where the tipping point comes with equipment. If one repair
lasts then OK but many devices tend to start to show their age by having a
cascade of faults over a shorter and shorter period, and its then you need
to cut and run.

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Owain Lastname" <spuorg...@gowanhill.com> wrote in message

Andrew

Oct 1, 2021, 2:36:22 PMOct 1
Guy nearby still has one, now 45 years old (the boiler)