Buying 82mm bricks for my extension?

George Miles

Sep 28, 2021, 2:19:07 PMSep 28
Do house extension bricks have to be the same height as existing bricks?
They are around 82mm high !
4 + 1/4 inches
New metric bricks are 50mm or 65mm high.
Are they around 50 pence each new but £1.50 reclaimed?

How bad would it look if I use cheaper metric bricks
(with the courses not aligning),
or inches of mortar ??

Would I have to pay VAT on the bricks new or secondhand?

George

Tricky Dicky

Sep 29, 2021, 5:02:23 AMSep 29
Aesthetically it is best to match the bricks for size and type but if you are not bothered anything will do although if your extension shares a frontage then there might be rules you have to follow but then you are likely to have to apply for planning permission anyway.

Richard

Chris Bacon

Sep 29, 2021, 5:46:24 AMSep 29
On 28/09/2021 19:19, George Miles wrote:
> Do house extension bricks have to be the same height as existing bricks?
> They are around 82mm high !
> 4 + 1/4 inches

I don't understand that. 4 1/2" is not 82mm.

> New metric bricks are 50mm or 65mm high.
> Are they around 50 pence each new but £1.50 reclaimed?

What?

> How bad would it look if I use cheaper metric bricks
> (with the courses not aligning),
> or inches of mortar ??

It does not look good. Thick joints are not very good either.

> Would I have to pay VAT on the bricks new or secondhand?

Either on the bricks or through the builder.

Poke around on the 'net, or look at (for instance)
https://www.hbutterfield.co.uk/home/brick-supplies/brick-matching

Theo

Sep 29, 2021, 11:42:17 AMSep 29
George Miles <diceg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Do house extension bricks have to be the same height as existing bricks?
> They are around 82mm high !
> 4 + 1/4 inches
> New metric bricks are 50mm or 65mm high.

Does your existing brick size match any of these:
https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/wiki/Brick_sizes

Might give you a clue about what size to look for?

Is that 82mm before the mortar, or 82mm between courses including mortar?
That list has some 71mm bricks, which would be about right including 10mm
mortar.

Theo