Online Banking preference.

David Paste

May 16, 2022, 10:50:34 AM5/16/22
Hello,

I currently do my online banking via a web browser on Windows 10.

I have no desire to have an online banking app on my mobile phone.

With the upcoming Windows 11 "upgrade" I have been thinking of moving
to Linux. I'm not really bothered about continuing with Windows as it turns
out all my software is open source and available on Linux.

I have an iPad which doesn't leave the house.

Which platform is likely to be the most secure for online banking, Windows
10, Linux (probaly Ubuntu), or an iPad (with the latest OS and security
updates, etc.)?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Andy Burns

May 16, 2022, 11:40:55 AM5/16/22
David Paste wrote:

> With the upcoming Windows 11 "upgrade"

Win10 has 3½ years life left yet ...

lacksey

May 16, 2022, 11:46:25 AM5/16/22
On Tue, 17 May 2022 00:50:32 +1000, David Paste <paste...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I currently do my online banking via a web browser on Windows 10.
>
> I have no desire to have an online banking app on my mobile phone.

MUCH safer on a modern smartphone with fingerprint or facial recognition.

> With the upcoming Windows 11 "upgrade" I have been thinking of moving
> to Linux. I'm not really bothered about continuing with Windows as it
> turns out all my software is open source and available on Linux.

> I have an iPad which doesn't leave the house.

> Which platform is likely to be the most secure for online banking,
> Windows
> 10, Linux (probaly Ubuntu), or an iPad (with the latest OS and security
> updates, etc.)?

The ipad if it can do fingerprint or facial recognition.

Or the cheapest iphone that is still new old stock if
the ipad can't do fingerprint or facial recognition.

Much more convenient with stuff that sends an SMS
with a login confirmation number too. That ends up
in the cut and paste area auto so you don't have to
type it in when it arrives.

Andy Burns

May 16, 2022, 12:00:48 PM5/16/22
lacksey wrote:

> Or the cheapest iphone that is still new old stock if
> the ipad can't do fingerprint or facial recognition.
>
> Much more convenient with stuff that sends an SMS
> with a login confirmation number too. That ends up
> in the cut and paste area auto so you don't have to
> type it in when it arrives.

None of my android banking apps rely on SMS messages for confirmation, the question

"is it you trying to spend £xx at GIMPMASKSONLINE?"

comes straight into the banking app for confirmation.

From the way that iPhones apparently couldn't run a covid app constantly in the
background (before the combined apple/google framework) maybe banking apps on
iPhones can't do that?

Chris Green

May 16, 2022, 12:03:05 PM5/16/22
lacksey <lki...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 17 May 2022 00:50:32 +1000, David Paste <paste...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I currently do my online banking via a web browser on Windows 10.
> >
> > I have no desire to have an online banking app on my mobile phone.
>
> MUCH safer on a modern smartphone with fingerprint or facial recognition.

But isn't there always an alternative way to log in, i.e. a PIN or some
such? If not then what happens if you damage your finger one day?

> Much more convenient with stuff that sends an SMS
> with a login confirmation number too. That ends up
> in the cut and paste area auto so you don't have to
> type it in when it arrives.

I manage that with a VOIP number that starts 07 and forwards all SMS
messages to my E-Mail, then it's just a copy and paste on my computer.

--
Chris Green
·

Max Demian

May 16, 2022, 12:12:07 PM5/16/22
On 16/05/2022 17:05, Tim Streater wrote:
> On 16 May 2022 at 16:46:18 BST, lacksey <lki...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 17 May 2022 00:50:32 +1000, David Paste <paste...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I currently do my online banking via a web browser on Windows 10.
>>>
>>> I have no desire to have an online banking app on my mobile phone.
>>
>> MUCH safer on a modern smartphone with fingerprint or facial recognition.
>
> Much less secure, I'd have said, eh Rodney? Besides which the fingerprint shit
> doesn't work very well. And the pissy little screen on a smartphone isn't
> really useable for anything serious.

Not clear why I would need to do online banking while out and about.
Maybe needed by the homeless. Phones can be lost/broken/stolen/lose
charge/credit. And I would need to secure it.

--
Max Demian

Theo

May 16, 2022, 12:16:39 PM5/16/22
David Paste <paste...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Which platform is likely to be the most secure for online banking, Windows
> 10, Linux (probaly Ubuntu), or an iPad (with the latest OS and security
> updates, etc.)?

Ubuntu or iPad, assuming you keep the automatic security updates on and
don't run them past their EOL dates.

Windows isn't bad these days, but there's more malware about for it.

Fingerprint/face ID on iOS is useful as it means you can set a longer
password as you have to enter it less often. Although there's slightly more
risk if you carry your device around (some mugger could make you login at
knifepoint).

i(Pad)OS is fairly locked down, on Ubuntu there's less of a risk of Windows
malware. Use a mainline browser (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc) not one
maintained by one guy in Nebraska (eg all the forks of old versions of
Firefox). Be conservative about what software you install (a lot of mobile
apps could be done equally well with a website).

Perhaps install a second browser for your banking from the one you use for
day to day surfing. Run an adblocker on your primary browser.

Theo

Peeler

May 16, 2022, 12:31:05 PM5/16/22
On Tue, 17 May 2022 01:46:18 +1000, lackseycantankerous trolling geezer
Rodent Speed, the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Marland addressing senile Rodent's pathological trolling:
"That’s because so much piss and shite emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a Wanker."

lacksey

May 16, 2022, 12:36:56 PM5/16/22
Andy Burns <use...@andyburns.uk> wrote

> lacksey wrote:
>
>> Or the cheapest iphone that is still new old stock if
>> the ipad can't do fingerprint or facial recognition.

>> Much more convenient with stuff that sends an SMS
>> with a login confirmation number too. That ends up
>> in the cut and paste area auto so you don't have to
>> type it in when it arrives.

> None of my android banking apps rely on SMS messages for confirmation,
> the question

That bit wasn't about banking apps.

> "is it you trying to spend £xx at GIMPMASKSONLINE?"
>
> comes straight into the banking app for confirmation.

> From the way that iPhones apparently couldn't run a covid app
> constantly in the background (before the combined apple/google
> framework) maybe banking apps on iPhones can't do that?

Yes it can and does it fine.

Andy Burns

May 16, 2022, 12:39:42 PM5/16/22
lacksey wrote:

> Andy Burns <use...@andyburns.uk> wrote
>
>> From the way that iPhones apparently couldn't run a covid app constantly in
>> the background (before the combined apple/google framework) maybe banking apps
>> on iPhones can't do that?
>
> Yes it can and does it fine.

So what was the issue about iphones shutting down the NHS-X covid app after 15
minutes idle then?

lacksey

May 16, 2022, 12:43:54 PM5/16/22
On Tue, 17 May 2022 02:02:45 +1000, Chris Green <c...@isbd.net> wrote:

> lacksey <lki...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 May 2022 00:50:32 +1000, David Paste <paste...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > I currently do my online banking via a web browser on Windows 10.
>> >
>> > I have no desire to have an online banking app on my mobile phone.
>>
>> MUCH safer on a modern smartphone with fingerprint or facial
>> recognition.

> But isn't there always an alternative way to log in, i.e. a PIN or some
> such?

Yes, but that can be some monster PIN that is a pain
in the arse to enter which is only used if you get your
finger chopped off or something like that.

> If not then what happens if you damage your finger one day?

You can register more than one finger.

Sure, if both hands hand are chopped off, you might
have a problem, but you would have a problem with
using a touch screen too. Ditto with facial recognition
if you have your head chopped off.

>> Much more convenient with stuff that sends an SMS
>> with a login confirmation number too. That ends up
>> in the cut and paste area auto so you don't have to
>> type it in when it arrives.

> I manage that with a VOIP number that starts 07 and forwards all SMS
> messages to my E-Mail, then it's just a copy and paste on my computer.

Much more convenient to have the SMS number automatically pasted
into the field on the screen, you do nothing but watch it happen.

lacksey

May 16, 2022, 12:51:41 PM5/16/22
On Tue, 17 May 2022 02:05:19 +1000, Tim Streater
<timst...@greenbee.net> wrote:

> On 16 May 2022 at 16:46:18 BST, lacksey <lki...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 17 May 2022 00:50:32 +1000, David Paste <paste...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I currently do my online banking via a web browser on Windows 10.
>>>
>>> I have no desire to have an online banking app on my mobile phone.
>>
>> MUCH safer on a modern smartphone with fingerprint or facial
>> recognition.

> Much less secure, I'd have said,

More fool you given that no one can use the phone
if it gets lost or stolen or just mislaid for a while.
And very easy to work out where it has gone too.

> Besides which the fingerprint shit doesn't work very well.

Works brilliantly on iphones. Vastly more convenient than passwords.

> And the pissy little screen on a smartphone isn't
> really useable for anything serious.

More mindless bullshit with net banking where all you
have to do is select the recipient and enter the dollar
value and can even do that with voice input if you want.

And you can do it anywhere if you find you need to move
funds between your accounts or cards etc when out and
can't pay for something due to insufficient funds in a
particular card or account.

And even get real radical and just wave the phone at the
terminal when paying for anything, even a brand new car,
and vastly more secure than with a contactless card or
card inserted into the terminal or using cash.

RJH

May 16, 2022, 12:55:20 PM5/16/22
On 16 May 2022 at 16:46:18 BST, "lacksey" <lki...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 17 May 2022 00:50:32 +1000, David Paste <paste...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I currently do my online banking via a web browser on Windows 10.
>>
>> I have no desire to have an online banking app on my mobile phone.
>
> MUCH safer on a modern smartphone with fingerprint or facial recognition.
>
>> With the upcoming Windows 11 "upgrade" I have been thinking of moving
>> to Linux. I'm not really bothered about continuing with Windows as it
>> turns out all my software is open source and available on Linux.
>
>> I have an iPad which doesn't leave the house.
>
>> Which platform is likely to be the most secure for online banking,
>> Windows
>> 10, Linux (probaly Ubuntu), or an iPad (with the latest OS and security
>> updates, etc.)?
>
> The ipad if it can do fingerprint or facial recognition.

FWIW, I have a phone with facial recognition, which is needed to unlock the
phone. I open the banking app with a 6 character pass key as a sort of 'double
lock'.

I do pretty much all banking, and most payments, on the phone. Nationwide - I
find the app and web interface pretty good.

--
Cheers, Rob

lacksey

May 16, 2022, 12:57:35 PM5/16/22
On Tue, 17 May 2022 02:11:57 +1000, Max Demian <max_d...@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

> On 16/05/2022 17:05, Tim Streater wrote:
>> On 16 May 2022 at 16:46:18 BST, lacksey <lki...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> MUCH safer on a modern smartphone with fingerprint or facial
>>> recognition.
>> Much less secure, I'd have said, eh Rodney? Besides which the
>> fingerprint shit
>> doesn't work very well. And the pissy little screen on a smartphone
>> isn't
>> really useable for anything serious.
>
> Not clear why I would need to do online banking while out and about.

When you discover that a particular card or account hasn't got enough
funds in it and need to move some money around. Or get real radical
and pay for anything including a brand new car by just waving the
phone at the terminal. Or show up at a garage/care boot sale and
find that the seller hasn't got change for your transaction and can
pay any mobile number using your net banking.

> Maybe needed by the homeless.

Or anyone who prefers the convenience.

> Phones can be lost/broken/stolen/lose charge/credit.

But no one can use it in that situation.

> And I would need to secure it.

Just as true with any mobile phone.

Only dinosaurs don't have one for that reason.

lacksey

May 16, 2022, 1:01:25 PM5/16/22
On Tue, 17 May 2022 02:16:33 +1000, Theo
<theom...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> David Paste <paste...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Which platform is likely to be the most secure for online banking,
>> Windows
>> 10, Linux (probaly Ubuntu), or an iPad (with the latest OS and security
>> updates, etc.)?
>
> Ubuntu or iPad, assuming you keep the automatic security updates on and
> don't run them past their EOL dates.
>
> Windows isn't bad these days, but there's more malware about for it.
>
> Fingerprint/face ID on iOS is useful as it means you can set a longer
> password as you have to enter it less often. Although there's slightly
> more
> risk if you carry your device around (some mugger could make you login at
> knifepoint).

The mugger can make you use an ATM. And it isn't hard to tell
the mugger that you don't have net banking on your phone and
hide it so he can't make you prove it.

Peeler

May 16, 2022, 1:13:24 PM5/16/22
On Tue, 17 May 2022 02:36:49 +1000, lacksey, better known as cantankerous

Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
"Shit you're thick/pathetic excuse for a troll."
MID: <ogoa38$pul$1...@news.mixmin.net>

Peeler

May 16, 2022, 1:13:51 PM5/16/22
On Tue, 17 May 2022 02:43:48 +1000, lacksey, better known as cantankerous

Tim+ about trolling Rodent Speed:
He is by far the most persistent troll who seems to be able to get under the
skin of folk who really should know better. Since when did arguing with a
troll ever achieve anything (beyond giving the troll pleasure)?
MID: <1421057667.659518815.743...@news.individual.net>

Peeler

May 16, 2022, 1:14:30 PM5/16/22
On Tue, 17 May 2022 02:57:29 +1000, lacksey, better known as cantankerous

"Anonymous" to trolling senile Rodent Speed:
"You can fuck off as you know less than pig shit you sad
little ignorant cunt."
MID: <62dcaae57b421e2b...@haph.org>

Peeler

May 16, 2022, 1:15:00 PM5/16/22
fOn Tue, 17 May 2022 02:51:33 +1000, lacksey, better known as cantankerous

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID: <g4t0jt...@mid.individual.net>

Peeler

May 16, 2022, 1:15:51 PM5/16/22
On Tue, 17 May 2022 03:01:18 +1000, lacksey, better known as cantankerous

dennis@home to retarded trolling senile Rodent:
"sod off rod you don't have a clue about anything."

lacksey

May 16, 2022, 1:23:44 PM5/16/22
iphones didnt leave bluetooth running full time forever when
no app was using bluetooth, so another phone could see
another phone close enough so that it might be possible to
get infected if the person with the other phone was infacted.

That was fixed very quickly with an iOS release.

lacksey

May 16, 2022, 1:35:38 PM5/16/22
On Tue, 17 May 2022 02:55:17 +1000, RJH <patch...@gmx.com> wrote:

> On 16 May 2022 at 16:46:18 BST, "lacksey" <lki...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 17 May 2022 00:50:32 +1000, David Paste <paste...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I currently do my online banking via a web browser on Windows 10.
>>>
>>> I have no desire to have an online banking app on my mobile phone.
>>
>> MUCH safer on a modern smartphone with fingerprint or facial
>> recognition.
>>
>>> With the upcoming Windows 11 "upgrade" I have been thinking of moving
>>> to Linux. I'm not really bothered about continuing with Windows as it
>>> turns out all my software is open source and available on Linux.
>>
>>> I have an iPad which doesn't leave the house.
>>
>>> Which platform is likely to be the most secure for online banking,
>>> Windows
>>> 10, Linux (probaly Ubuntu), or an iPad (with the latest OS and security
>>> updates, etc.)?
>>
>> The ipad if it can do fingerprint or facial recognition.
>>

> FWIW, I have a phone with facial recognition, which is needed to unlock
> the
> phone. I open the banking app with a 6 character pass key as a sort of
> 'double
> lock'.

No point in doing that because all the decent banking apps do
a fresh ID check when you use the app and that times out too.

> I do pretty much all banking, and most payments, on the phone.

I do too. A couple of my banks do have a function or two which
can only be done in a browser, not their phone app, but that is
a pretty uncommonly used function. So uncommonly used that
I can't even remember what it is now off the top of my head.

I do all payments using applepay except garage/car boot sale
transactions. I can pay to any mobile phone number but with
a queue paying for stuff at a garage/car boot sale, it isn't
worth convincing the seller that its as good as cash unless
they don't have the change. Even if they don't have the change,
there are always mates of mine there and we find the change
that way and pay each other back using our phones.

> Nationwide - I find the app and web interface pretty good.

I have dozens of banks I use and all have very decent apps
and web interaces. Just one still won't do instant transfers.

Dave Plowman (News)

May 16, 2022, 1:37:27 PM5/16/22
In article <c97fcd54-361f-4196...@googlegroups.com>,
Once you have access to the device, I'd say it's the bank's software which
is more important.

--
*I'm not a paranoid, deranged millionaire. Dammit, I'm a billionaire.

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Peeler

May 16, 2022, 2:06:57 PM5/16/22
On Tue, 17 May 2022 03:23:37 +1000, lacksey, better known as cantankerous

Website (from 2007) dedicated to the 87-year-old senile Australian
cretin's pathological trolling:
https://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/rod-speed-faq.2973853/

Peeler

May 16, 2022, 2:07:27 PM5/16/22
On Tue, 17 May 2022 03:35:31 +1000, lacksey, better known as cantankerous

Sqwertz to Rodent Speed:
asshole.
MID: <ev1p6ml7ywd5$.d...@sqwertz.com>

Richard

May 16, 2022, 2:14:21 PM5/16/22
Rod (aka this shit lacksey) has idea about the NHS app as he's a dunny
dweller from down under.

Richard

May 16, 2022, 2:16:13 PM5/16/22
On 16/05/2022 18:35, lacksey wrote:

> I have dozens of banks I use and all have very decent apps
> and web interaces. Just one still won't do instant transfers.

What? A bank for each of your shitty nyms?
Fuck off rod.

lacksey

May 16, 2022, 2:20:44 PM5/16/22
Some have managed to work out how to keep track of what
unusual is happening on the other side of the world, even if
you are too stupid to be able to do that yourself.

Peeler

May 16, 2022, 2:39:40 PM5/16/22
On Tue, 17 May 2022 04:20:37 +1000, lacksey, better known as cantankerous

FredXX to Rodent Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
we shipped the likes of you out of the British Isles. Perhaps stupidity
and criminality is inherited after all?"

Chris Green

May 16, 2022, 4:03:05 PM5/16/22
lacksey <lki...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Much more convenient with stuff that sends an SMS
> >> with a login confirmation number too. That ends up
> >> in the cut and paste area auto so you don't have to
> >> type it in when it arrives.
>
> > I manage that with a VOIP number that starts 07 and forwards all SMS
> > messages to my E-Mail, then it's just a copy and paste on my computer.
>
> Much more convenient to have the SMS number automatically pasted
> into the field on the screen, you do nothing but watch it happen.

Not very secure though is it if it happens automatically! :-)

--
Chris Green
·

David Paste

May 16, 2022, 5:05:15 PM5/16/22
On Monday, 16 May 2022 at 16:40:55 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:

> Win10 has 3½ years life left yet ...

Well from recent experience that's almost a month away.

lacksey

May 16, 2022, 6:10:17 PM5/16/22
Just as secure as if you receive the SMS and have to
type the numbers into the field in the app yourself.

Peeler

May 16, 2022, 6:25:58 PM5/16/22
On Tue, 17 May 2022 08:10:09 +1000, lacksey, better known as cantankerous

Xeno to senile Rodent:
"You're a sad old man Rod, truly sad."
MID: <id04c3...@mid.individual.net>

Chris Green

May 17, 2022, 4:03:05 AM5/17/22
No, because you check whether the transaction is one that you want to
validate. ... and, as I said, I don't "type the numbers" I use copy
and paste.

--
Chris Green
·

Tim+

May 17, 2022, 4:14:39 AM5/17/22
Chris Green <c...@isbd.net> wrote:
> lacksey <lki...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Not very secure though is it if it happens automatically! :-)
>>
>> Just as secure as if you receive the SMS and have to
>> type the numbers into the field in the app yourself.
>
> No, because you check whether the transaction is one that you want to
> validate.

You still have to tap a button to validate, it’s just that the field has
been filled in for you.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

lacksey

May 17, 2022, 5:05:29 AM5/17/22
On Tue, 17 May 2022 17:58:16 +1000, Chris Green <c...@isbd.net> wrote:

> lacksey <lki...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> SMS
>> computer.

>> > Not very secure though is it if it happens automatically! :-)
>>
>> Just as secure as if you receive the SMS and have to
>> type the numbers into the field in the app yourself.

> No,

Fraid so.

> because you check whether the transaction is one that you want to
> validate.

You only get an SMS with a code on the same
phone that the transaction was initiated on.

Peeler

David Wade

May 17, 2022, 5:46:37 AM5/17/22
On 16/05/2022 17:02, Chris Green wrote:
> lacksey <lki...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 May 2022 00:50:32 +1000, David Paste <paste...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I currently do my online banking via a web browser on Windows 10.
>>>
>>> I have no desire to have an online banking app on my mobile phone.
>>
>> MUCH safer on a modern smartphone with fingerprint or facial recognition.
>>
> But isn't there always an alternative way to log in, i.e. a PIN or some
> such? If not then what happens if you damage your finger one day?

The alternative may require more steps. You can and of course should
register more than one finger. I know that is not totally resilient but
if you do one from each hand..

David Wade

May 17, 2022, 5:52:51 AM5/17/22
On 16/05/2022 15:50, David Paste wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I currently do my online banking via a web browser on Windows 10.
>
> I have no desire to have an online banking app on my mobile phone.
>
> With the upcoming Windows 11 "upgrade" I have been thinking of moving
> to Linux. I'm not really bothered about continuing with Windows as it turns
> out all my software is open source and available on Linux.
>
> I have an iPad which doesn't leave the house.
>
> Which platform is likely to be the most secure for online banking, Windows
> 10, Linux (probaly Ubuntu), or an iPad (with the latest OS and security
> updates, etc.)?

Whilst the iPad may be "more secure" all its browsers use the same Apple
mandated rendering engine so all have the same down-level HTML support
and so don't work with some banking web sites.

From time to time this results in my wife being unable to log into some
banking sites.

It also means if there is a security bug on iPad it usually affects all
browsers, switching to chrome for example leaves you using much of the
same code underneath.

> Thank you in advance for any advice.

Dave

Chris Green

May 17, 2022, 6:03:06 AM5/17/22
David Wade <g4...@dave.invalid> wrote:
> On 16/05/2022 17:02, Chris Green wrote:
> > lacksey <lki...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> MUCH safer on a modern smartphone with fingerprint or facial recognition.
> >>
> > But isn't there always an alternative way to log in, i.e. a PIN or some
> > such? If not then what happens if you damage your finger one day?
> >

> The alternative may require more steps. You can and of course should
> register more than one finger. I know that is not totally resilient but
> if you do one from each hand..

Yes, "The alternative may require more steps" but there *is* an
alternative, that's the point I was making. You *can* authenticate by
fingerprint or face but you don't have to so I don't see how it makes
anything more secure. It's less secure if anything because there's
more than one way to authenticate.

--
Chris Green
·

Chris Green

May 17, 2022, 6:03:06 AM5/17/22
lacksey <lki...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > because you check whether the transaction is one that you want to
> > validate.
>
> You only get an SMS with a code on the same
> phone that the transaction was initiated on.

Ay? Not true, you get the SMS with a code on the mobile (usually)
number that you nominate in your bank account settings. Otherwise it
might be a bit difficult doing transactions from a laptop or
whathever. My SMS validations arrive on a pseudo-mobile number
provided by a VOIP server, there's no way I can run an app on that!

--
Chris Green
·

The Natural Philosopher

May 17, 2022, 6:05:37 AM5/17/22
On 16/05/2022 15:50, David Paste wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I currently do my online banking via a web browser on Windows 10.
>
> I have no desire to have an online banking app on my mobile phone.
>
> With the upcoming Windows 11 "upgrade" I have been thinking of moving
> to Linux. I'm not really bothered about continuing with Windows as it turns
> out all my software is open source and available on Linux.
>
> I have an iPad which doesn't leave the house.
>
> Which platform is likely to be the most secure for online banking, Windows
> 10, Linux (probaly Ubuntu), or an iPad (with the latest OS and security
> updates, etc.)?
>
> Thank you in advance for any advice.

Probably Ubuntu, on the grounds that no one is that interested in
hacking the rather fewer numbers of Linux desktops (as opposed to web
servers).

I use Mint and have only had compatibility issues with banking websites,
not security issues.

Its very hard to install a virus on Linux desktops behind NAT routers.

The modern trend seems to be towards software geared for fondleSlabs and
stupidPhones tho.

The Natural Philosopher

May 17, 2022, 6:07:53 AM5/17/22
On 16/05/2022 16:46, lacksey wrote:
> On Tue, 17 May 2022 00:50:32 +1000, David Paste <paste...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I currently do my online banking via a web browser on Windows 10.
>>
>> I have no desire to have an online banking app on my mobile phone.
>
> MUCH safer on a modern smartphone with fingerprint or facial recognition.

yeah, right, I was sitting at the airport looking for a wifi point and
up popped 'Mandys i-phone'

really secure.

--
Socialism is the philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the
gospel of envy.

Its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.

Winston Churchill

The Natural Philosopher

May 17, 2022, 6:08:13 AM5/17/22
On 16/05/2022 17:05, Tim Streater wrote:
> On 16 May 2022 at 16:46:18 BST, lacksey <lki...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 17 May 2022 00:50:32 +1000, David Paste <paste...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I currently do my online banking via a web browser on Windows 10.
>>>
>>> I have no desire to have an online banking app on my mobile phone.
>>
>> MUCH safer on a modern smartphone with fingerprint or facial recognition.
>
> Much less secure, I'd have said, eh Rodney? Besides which the fingerprint shit
> doesn't work very well. And the pissy little screen on a smartphone isn't
> really useable for anything serious.

Amen to all that.

--
I would rather have questions that cannot be answered...
...than to have answers that cannot be questioned

Richard Feynman

The Natural Philosopher

May 17, 2022, 6:10:14 AM5/17/22
How odd. I get SMS codes on transactions I haven't even used a phone in

The Natural Philosopher

May 17, 2022, 6:11:01 AM5/17/22
On 16/05/2022 18:35, lacksey wrote:
> I have dozens of banks I use and all have very decent apps
> and web interaces. Just one still won't do instant transfers.

You couldn't bullshit your way out of a paper bag, rodders

lacksey

May 17, 2022, 6:26:03 AM5/17/22
On Tue, 17 May 2022 19:46:33 +1000, David Wade <g4...@dave.invalid> wrote:

> On 16/05/2022 17:02, Chris Green wrote:
>> lacksey <lki...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> MUCH safer on a modern smartphone with fingerprint or facial
>>> recognition.
>>>
>> But isn't there always an alternative way to log in, i.e. a PIN or some
>> such? If not then what happens if you damage your finger one day?
>>

> The alternative may require more steps. You can and of course should
> register more than one finger. I know that is not totally resilient but
> if you do one from each hand..

Yeah, I do that anyway, mainly so I can unlock the phone
when driving with the hand I don't normally use when not
driving, and it is the thumb in both cases, mainly so when
doing an apple pay transaction at a checkout, I can take
it out of the pocket with my thumb on the sensor and just
wave the phone at the terminal in one clean sweep.

lacksey

May 17, 2022, 6:29:29 AM5/17/22
On Tue, 17 May 2022 19:52:47 +1000, David Wade <g4...@dave.invalid> wrote:

> On 16/05/2022 15:50, David Paste wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I currently do my online banking via a web browser on Windows 10.
>> I have no desire to have an online banking app on my mobile phone.
>> With the upcoming Windows 11 "upgrade" I have been thinking of moving
>> to Linux. I'm not really bothered about continuing with Windows as it
>> turns
>> out all my software is open source and available on Linux.
>> I have an iPad which doesn't leave the house.
>> Which platform is likely to be the most secure for online banking,
>> Windows
>> 10, Linux (probaly Ubuntu), or an iPad (with the latest OS and security
>> updates, etc.)?
>>

> Whilst the iPad may be "more secure" all its browsers use the same Apple
> mandated rendering engine so all have the same down-level HTML support
> and so don't work with some banking web sites.
>
> From time to time this results in my wife being unable to log into some
> banking sites.

That's fixed by using the apps instead of the browser.

And that allows the use of a fingerprint or facial recognition
instead of the much more clumsy and much less secure password.

> It also means if there is a security bug on iPad it usually affects all
> browsers, switching to chrome for example leaves you using much of the
> same code underneath.

I don't find that at all.

lacksey

May 17, 2022, 6:33:31 AM5/17/22
On Tue, 17 May 2022 19:59:34 +1000, Chris Green <c...@isbd.net> wrote:

> lacksey <lki...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > because you check whether the transaction is one that you want to
>> > validate.
>>
>> You only get an SMS with a code on the same
>> phone that the transaction was initiated on.
>
> Ay? Not true,

Fraid so with the situation being discussed, where the
SMS code is automatically copied into the field where
it goes in the app.

> you get the SMS with a code on the mobile (usually)
> number that you nominate in your bank account settings. Otherwise it
> might be a bit difficult doing transactions from a laptop or
> whathever.

But with those, it obviously can't be automatically
copied to the field in the app.

> My SMS validations arrive on a pseudo-mobile number providedby a VOIP
> server, there's no way I can run an app on that!

So there is no lack of security, as you claimed.

lacksey

May 17, 2022, 6:36:15 AM5/17/22
It is much more secure because the fingerprint or facial recognition
can't be hacked with the best fingerprint and facial recognition systems.

> It's less secure if anything because there's
> more than one way to authenticate.

Even sillier.

Andy Burns

May 17, 2022, 6:40:53 AM5/17/22
Tim Streater wrote:

> the fingerprint shit doesn't work very well.

Works fine with a proper rear-mounted fingerprint sensor, the shit ones are
those under the front-glass, I chose a pixel5a instead of pixel6 partly for that
reason, even though it meant having to grey-import one.

lacksey

May 17, 2022, 6:41:04 AM5/17/22
On Tue, 17 May 2022 20:07:49 +1000, The Natural Philosopher
<t...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On 16/05/2022 16:46, lacksey wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 May 2022 00:50:32 +1000, David Paste <paste...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I currently do my online banking via a web browser on Windows 10.
>>>
>>> I have no desire to have an online banking app on my mobile phone.
>> MUCH safer on a modern smartphone with fingerprint or facial
>> recognition.
>
> yeah, right, I was sitting at the airport looking for a wifi point and
> up popped 'Mandys i-phone'
>
> really secure.

That isn't logging on to your banking app.

And even if you are stupid enough to do net banking over
a public wifi system, the transactions are completely encrypted
to that no one can pinch your password, let alone your fingerprint
or facial data. Neither of those ever move over the wifi link.

lacksey

May 17, 2022, 6:42:44 AM5/17/22
Not when the SMS code is automatically copied to the app field it goes in
you don't.

The Natural Philosopher

May 17, 2022, 6:48:21 AM5/17/22
On the other hand a stolen phone is guaranteed to have a large sticky
fingerprint of its owner plastered on its touch screen.
Its not hard to duplicate.

Which is why I never bother to lock my phone at all, if it gets nicked
there is so all on it except some wifi passwords and a couple of email
passwords that can be changed instantly

>> It's less secure if anything because there's
>> more than one way to authenticate.
>
> Even sillier.

kind word alone.

Al Capone

charles

May 17, 2022, 6:48:44 AM5/17/22
In article <t5vs5l$jc1$2...@dont-email.me>,
The Natural Philosopher <t...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 16/05/2022 16:46, lacksey wrote:
> > On Tue, 17 May 2022 00:50:32 +1000, David Paste <paste...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I currently do my online banking via a web browser on Windows 10.
> >>
> >> I have no desire to have an online banking app on my mobile phone.
> >
> > MUCH safer on a modern smartphone with fingerprint or facial recognition.

> yeah, right, I was sitting at the airport looking for a wifi point and
> up popped 'Mandys i-phone'

> really secure.

you don't need to make your phone availablr like that - mine isn't

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

lacksey

May 17, 2022, 6:57:45 AM5/17/22
On Tue, 17 May 2022 20:40:47 +1000, Andy Burns <use...@andyburns.uk> wrote:

> Tim Streater wrote:
>
>> the fingerprint shit doesn't work very well.
>
> Works fine with a proper rear-mounted fingerprint sensor,

And with a dedicated front mounted one like the
iphones have and that is much easier to use.

lacksey

May 17, 2022, 7:06:23 AM5/17/22
Impossible to duplicate with an iphone.

And facial recognition doesn't have the problem.

> Which is why I never bother to lock my phone at all,

More fool you. That means you can't do phone banking on it.

Or use apple pay or google pay which are vastly more secure
than contactless cards and don't need you to fart about with
a PIN at all with apple pay, regardless of the value of the
transaction.

> if it gets nicked there is so all on it except some wifi passwords and a
> couple of email passwords that can be changed instantly

Makes more sense to ensure that the thief or finder
can never do anything with the phone except break
it down into pieces and the use of the replacement
is instantaneous. just enter your very long and
unhackable passcode and everything is back
the same as before it was lost or stolen.

Corse most don't actually take years to work
out how to answer an incoming phone call,
let alone how to use a smartphone.

Chris Green

May 17, 2022, 8:48:07 AM5/17/22
lacksey <lki...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 17 May 2022 20:01:35 +1000, Chris Green <c...@isbd.net> wrote:
>
> > David Wade <g4...@dave.invalid> wrote:
> >> <paste...@gmail.com>

> >> recognition.

> >> some
> >> >

> >> The alternative may require more steps. You can and of course should
> >> register more than one finger. I know that is not totally resilient but
> >> if you do one from each hand..
> >>
> > Yes, "The alternative may require more steps" but there *is* an
> > alternative, that's the point I was making. You *can* authenticate by
> > fingerprint or face but you don't have to so I don't see how it makes
> > anything more secure.
>
> It is much more secure because the fingerprint or facial recognition
> can't be hacked with the best fingerprint and facial recognition systems.

But there are other ways to authenticate which *can* be hacked.
Adding fingerprint or face authentication doesn't help when there are
alternatives, they just (hopefully) make it quicker to authenticate.

--
Chris Green
·

Peeler

May 17, 2022, 9:14:33 AM5/17/22
On Tue, 17 May 2022 20:33:21 +1000, lacksey, better known as cantankerous

Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rodent Speed:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"
MID: <g4ihla...@mid.individual.net>

Peeler

May 17, 2022, 9:15:26 AM5/17/22
On Tue, 17 May 2022 20:36:06 +1000, lacksey, better known as cantankerous

Website (from 2007) dedicated to the 87-year-old senile Australian
cretin's pathological trolling:
https://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/rod-speed-faq.2973853/

Peeler

Peeler

May 17, 2022, 9:15:58 AM5/17/22
On Tue, 17 May 2022 21:06:12 +1000, lacksey, better known as cantankerous

dennis@home to senile know-it-all Rodent Speed:
"You really should stop commenting on things you know nothing about."

Peeler

Peeler

May 17, 2022, 9:17:02 AM5/17/22
On Tue, 17 May 2022 20:57:35 +1000, lacksey, better known as cantankerous

Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
"Shit you're thick/pathetic excuse for a troll."
MID: <ogoa38$pul$1...@news.mixmin.net>

Peeler

May 17, 2022, 9:17:21 AM5/17/22
On Tue, 17 May 2022 20:40:53 +1000, lacksey, better known as cantankerous

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID: <g4t0jt...@mid.individual.net>

Peeler

May 17, 2022, 9:19:08 AM5/17/22
On Tue, 17 May 2022 20:29:19 +1000, lacksey, better known as cantankerous

Marland revealing the senile sociopath's pathology:
"You have mentioned Alexa in a couple of threads recently, it is not a real
woman you know even if it is the only thing with a female name that stays
around while you talk to it.
Poor sad git who has to resort to Usenet and electronic devices for any
interaction as all real people run a mile to get away from you boring them
to death."
MID: <gfkt3m...@mid.individual.net>

lacksey

May 17, 2022, 1:46:15 PM5/17/22
Irrelevant to the fact that that autofilling is very convenient to use.

> Adding fingerprint or face authentication doesn't help when there are
> alternatives, they just (hopefully) make it quicker to authenticate.

That's wrong too. When the main way of authenticating is by fingerprint
or facial recognition, you are free to use a very long passcode which is
a complete pain in the arse to enter manually so it can never be hancked
but isn't normally used, so the fact that it is impossible to remember and
and pain in the arse to enter doesnt matter because you never need to use
it.

Richard

May 17, 2022, 1:59:47 PM5/17/22
On 17/05/2022 18:46, lacksey aka shithead rod speed wrote:

That he is, quote:
> a complete pain in the arse.

Rod Speed

May 17, 2022, 2:13:00 PM5/17/22
Some dick claiming to be
Richard <smit...@btinternet.com.invalid>
spewed the shit any 3 year old
could leave for dead, as always.

The Natural Philosopher

May 17, 2022, 2:48:38 PM5/17/22
On 17/05/2022 11:38, charles wrote:
> In article <t5vs5l$jc1$2...@dont-email.me>,
> The Natural Philosopher <t...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> On 16/05/2022 16:46, lacksey wrote:

>>> MUCH safer on a modern smartphone with fingerprint or facial recognition.
>
>> yeah, right, I was sitting at the airport looking for a wifi point and
>> up popped 'Mandys i-phone'
>
>> really secure.
>

> you don't need to make your phone availablr like that - mine isn't

Was she as a user even aware she had made it available?
That's the thing isn't it.

"Saki"

The Natural Philosopher

May 17, 2022, 2:50:03 PM5/17/22
Piece of piss. you could never bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.

lacksey

May 17, 2022, 2:54:06 PM5/17/22
On Wed, 18 May 2022 04:49:59 +1000, The Natural Philosopher
Wrong, as always.

Peeler

May 17, 2022, 3:04:04 PM5/17/22
On Wed, 18 May 2022 04:53:58 +1000, lacksey, better known as cantankerous

Xeno to senile Rodent:
"You're a sad old man Rod, truly sad."
MID: <id04c3...@mid.individual.net>

Peeler

May 17, 2022, 3:04:35 PM5/17/22
On Wed, 18 May 2022 03:46:08 +1000, lacksey, better known as cantankerous

Marland addressing senile Rodent's pathological trolling:
"That’s because so much piss and shite emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a Wanker."

Peeler

The Natural Philosopher

May 17, 2022, 3:08:15 PM5/17/22
You could never bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.,

There are a dozen you tube videos of people doing it. You leave far more
fingerprints than you do RF signals to unlock your car...

--
It is the folly of too many to mistake the echo of a London coffee-house
for the voice of the kingdom.

Jonathan Swift

lacksey

May 17, 2022, 3:14:41 PM5/17/22
On Wed, 18 May 2022 05:08:10 +1000, The Natural Philosopher
> There are a dozen you tube videos of people doing it.

Not with an iphone there isn't.

> You leave far more fingerprints than you do RF signals to unlock your
> car...

But those can't be used to unlock an iphone.

Peeler

May 17, 2022, 3:43:12 PM5/17/22
On Wed, 18 May 2022 05:14:33 +1000, lacksey, better known as cantankerous

Bod addressing senile Rodent Speed:
"Rod, you have a sick twisted mind. I suggest you stop your mindless
and totally irresponsible talk. Your mouth could get you into a lot of
trouble."
MID: <gfbb94...@mid.individual.net>

The Natural Philosopher

May 18, 2022, 5:56:10 AM5/18/22
yes with an i-phone there is

>> You leave far more fingerprints than you do RF signals to unlock your
>> car...
>
> But those can't be used to unlock an iphone.

Oh dear, dumb and dumber. My point was that people are unlocking plenty
of cars with RF scanners, so unlocking I-phnes with more plentiful
gingerprints would be easier.

Rodders

Lucas Bergkamp

lacksey

May 18, 2022, 6:13:59 AM5/18/22
On Wed, 18 May 2022 19:56:06 +1000, The Natural Philosopher
Not with anything even remotely like a current iphone there isn't.

>>> You leave far more fingerprints than you do RF signals to unlock your
>>> car...

>> But those can't be used to unlock an iphone.

> Oh dear, dumb and dumber.

We'll see...

> My point was that people are unlocking plenty of cars with RF scanners,
> so unlocking I-phnes with more plentiful gingerprints would be easier.

Even sillier than you usually manage and that's saying something.

The problem isn't the number of fingerprints. it's fooling
the sensor that it is a real finger and not just a fingerprint.

The Natural Philosopher

May 18, 2022, 6:43:37 AM5/18/22
hardly difficult.
Plenty of you tube videos showing how its done.
Anyway bye bye rodders

*plonk*
"What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"

Peeler

May 18, 2022, 9:46:42 AM5/18/22
On Wed, 18 May 2022 20:13:49 +1000, lacksey, better known as cantankerous

Turnip Fucker

May 18, 2022, 5:38:32 PM5/18/22
On Wed, 18 May 2022 20:43:33 +1000, The Natural Philosopher
How odd that you can't show anyone doing it with a current iphone.

> Plenty of you tube videos showing how its done.

Not with a current iphone there isn't.

> *plonk*

Fat lot of good that will do you, you stupid plonker.

Peeler

May 18, 2022, 6:00:19 PM5/18/22
On Thu, 19 May 2022 07:38:23 +1000, Turnip Fucker, better known as