Water between glass of double glazing

john....@ntlworld.com

Jan 4, 2007, 5:58:32 PM1/4/07
Dear all, happy New Year!

Hopefully someone with expertise can point me in the right direction
please ...

There is a significant amount of water gathered between the glass of
the double glazing of our back door.

I don't know how it got there but presumably condensation which is not
draining away? or rain which has got through a hole in the rubber
edging?

I suggested filling it up and putting fish in but the wife wasn't keen
on that idea ...

Anyway I dont know how to remove it and whether I need to replace the
door, or window unit or whatever?

Any advice much appreciated!

Regards, John

Heliotrope Smith

Jan 4, 2007, 7:22:12 PM1/4/07

A tap on the window will cure the problem.
<john....@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Dave Liquorice

Jan 4, 2007, 7:53:31 PM1/4/07
On 4 Jan 2007 14:58:32 -0800, john....@ntlworld.com wrote:

> Anyway I dont know how to remove it and whether I need to replace the
> door, or window unit or whatever?

The sealed unit has failed. The ali spacers around the edge of the unit
are filled with desicant to keep the air dry inside and thus condensation
free but if a glass seal fails eventually the desicant will become "water
logged" and condenstation will appear within the unit.

If out of warranty you'll need to get another made and replace the duff
one. Look carefully around the frame, one side will be fully moulded the
other a clip in piece. Get a thin, wide and strong lever into the gap
between frame and clippy bit (must have a real name that iludes me at
presnt) in the center of the longest side and you should be able to pry
it out. Repeat for the other bits, note the position and size of any
packing peices, the sealed unit stops the door dropping via these packing
bits...

--
Cheers new...@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

meow...@care2.com

Jan 5, 2007, 12:39:41 AM1/5/07
john....@ntlworld.com wrote:

You can replace it or dry it out. To dry it, drill 2 small holes in the
2 bottom corners with a glass/tile drill and use a fish tank air pump
and some desiccant to pump dried air through there. Once dry block the
holes with a soft non-water based glue. It will mist up again in the
end, and the procedure can be repeated.

NT

Autolycus

Jan 5, 2007, 2:33:35 AM1/5/07

<meow...@care2.com> wrote in message

> john....@ntlworld.com wrote:
>
>> There is a significant amount of water gathered between the glass of
>> the double glazing of our back door.
>>

>> Anyway I dont know how to remove it and whether I need to replace the
>> door, or window unit or whatever?
>>

> You can replace it or dry it out. To dry it, drill 2 small holes in
> the
> 2 bottom corners with a glass/tile drill

<snip>

Through toughened glass, which a door is likely to use? Perhaps through
the spacer, but that would mean removing the unit.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. jan...@mainbeam.co.uk)***

meow...@care2.com

Jan 5, 2007, 3:30:34 AM1/5/07
Autolycus wrote:
> <meow...@care2.com> wrote in message
> > john....@ntlworld.com wrote:

> >> There is a significant amount of water gathered between the glass of
> >> the double glazing of our back door.
> >>

> >> Anyway I dont know how to remove it and whether I need to replace the
> >> door, or window unit or whatever?

> > You can replace it or dry it out. To dry it, drill 2 small holes in
> > the
> > 2 bottom corners with a glass/tile drill
> <snip>

> Through toughened glass, which a door is likely to use? Perhaps through
> the spacer, but that would mean removing the unit.

Yes, toughened glass can be drilled. Its a common myth that it
shatters. Toughened car windscreens shatter because they are
prestresses to make them shatter, ordinary glazing and other toughened
glass items are not normally prestressed.

NT

Ziggur

Jan 5, 2007, 11:00:03 AM1/5/07
meow...@care2.com wrote:

> Autolycus wrote:
> > <meow...@care2.com> wrote in message

> > glass of >> the double glazing of our back door.

> Yes, toughened glass can be drilled. Its a common myth that it
> shatters. Toughened car windscreens shatter because they are
> prestresses to make them shatter, ordinary glazing and other toughened
> glass items are not normally prestressed.
>

> NT

After many years in the glass industry I must say that this statement
is utterly false.

ALL toughened glass is "stressed" by the production process and will
shatter if an attempt is made to drill or cut it.

A simple Google search will reveal the scientific evidence.

--
"S'ils te mordent, mords-les"

john....@ntlworld.com

Jan 5, 2007, 4:56:59 PM1/5/07
Dear all,

Many thanks for your time in making comments.

I had a front door unit replaced which wasn't too costly so worst comes
to the worst I can do that.

Kind Regards, John

Newshound

Jan 5, 2007, 7:03:20 PM1/5/07

> After many years in the glass industry I must say that this statement
> is utterly false.
>
> ALL toughened glass is "stressed" by the production process and will
> shatter if an attempt is made to drill or cut it.

That's what I would have said too, but perhaps what the OP has drilled is
actually laminated glass.

meow...@care2.com

Jan 6, 2007, 3:03:38 AM1/6/07
Ziggur wrote:
> meow...@care2.com wrote:

> > Yes, toughened glass can be drilled. Its a common myth that it

> After many years in the glass industry I must say that this statement

> is utterly false.
>
> ALL toughened glass is "stressed" by the production process and will
> shatter if an attempt is made to drill or cut it.
>
> A simple Google search will reveal the scientific evidence.

Why then do I have chipped pieces of toughened glass that show no
interest in shattering?

NT