TOT Reallocation of energy supplier

22 views
Skip to first unread message

alan_m

unread,
Sep 27, 2021, 5:55:43 AMSep 27
to

I've just received an email

Ofgem have appointed Octopus Energy, Britain's most awarded energy
supplier, to take over your energy supply from Avro Energy.


No real details in the email about tariffs etc.

--
mailto : news {at} admac {dot} myzen {dot} co {dot} uk

R D S

unread,
Sep 27, 2021, 6:07:52 AMSep 27
to
On 27/09/2021 10:55, alan_m wrote:
>
> I've just received an email
>
> Ofgem have appointed Octopus Energy, Britain's most awarded energy
> supplier, to take over your energy supply from Avro Energy.
>
I wonder if the struggling suppliers could contact customers and ask if
they'd accept a higher tariff.

I CBA changing supplier.

Spike

unread,
Sep 27, 2021, 6:29:33 AMSep 27
to
On 27/09/2021 09:55, alan_m wrote:

> I've just received an email

> Ofgem have appointed Octopus Energy, Britain's most awarded energy
> supplier, to take over your energy supply from Avro Energy.

> No real details in the email about tariffs etc.

Apparently it does say something about the rates and charges being
cheaper than anything available from any other large supplier today, and
cheaper than the fixed prices they are offering to new customers on
their website.

--
Spike

Robin

unread,
Sep 27, 2021, 6:52:56 AMSep 27
to
On 27/09/2021 10:55, alan_m wrote:
>
> I've just received an email
>
> Ofgem have appointed Octopus Energy, Britain's most awarded energy
> supplier, to take over your energy supply from Avro Energy.
>
>
> No real details in the email about tariffs etc.
>

I think that'll be an email they send to all Avro's customers. The
precise tariffs will vary with location (and possibly also with how they
pay).

--
Robin
reply-to address is (intended to be) valid

Peter Able

unread,
Sep 27, 2021, 6:55:07 AMSep 27
to
It says "Flexible Octopus tariff,".

For me, it currently means about £23 a month extra. If the energy cap
is discontinued - all bets are off!

PA

alan_m

unread,
Sep 27, 2021, 7:41:03 AMSep 27
to
On 27/09/2021 11:29, Spike wrote:
Their wording

We will be in touch with your rates and charges soon, but they will be
cheaper than anything available from any other large supplier today —
and cheaper than the fixed prices we’re currently offering new customers
on our own website.

This doesn't mean its a fixed price deal and it could mean that prices
may rise soon after the switch without a price cap - it may not be their
price capped variable rate which may/will be the cheaper option. Some of
the advice on web sites about what happens next suggests its often a
unique deal for adopted customers which overall tend to be more
expensive than for existing customers. At the moment most (all) energy
companies are not offering good fixed price deals and are assuming
energy prices will stay high and/or rising for the foreseeable future.

Is it actually possible to switch to an alternative supplier and now be
on the standard (price capped) variable rate immediately or will the
alternative supplier only offer a 12/24month (now expensive) fixed price
contract?

alan_m

unread,
Sep 27, 2021, 7:44:44 AMSep 27
to
On 27/09/2021 11:55, Peter Able wrote:
> On 27/09/2021 11:29, Spike wrote:
>> On 27/09/2021 09:55, alan_m wrote:
>>
>>> I've just received an email
>>
>>> Ofgem have appointed Octopus Energy, Britain's most awarded energy
>>> supplier, to take over your energy supply from Avro Energy.
>>
>>> No real details in the email about tariffs etc.
>>
>> Apparently it does say something about the rates and charges being
>> cheaper than anything available from any other large supplier today, and
>> cheaper than the fixed prices they are  offering to new customers on
>> their website.
>>
> It says "Flexible Octopus tariff,".


My email doesn't

John Rumm

unread,
Sep 27, 2021, 8:02:28 AMSep 27
to
On 27/09/2021 10:55, alan_m wrote:
>
> I've just received an email
>
> Ofgem have appointed Octopus Energy, Britain's most awarded energy
> supplier, to take over your energy supply from Avro Energy.
>
>
> No real details in the email about tariffs etc.

Yup, same here... just a case of waiting and seeing what they offer.
They claim the offer will be better than that they are offering new
customers applying directly - but that does not mean it will be cheap or
close to the Avro deal.


--
Cheers,

John.

/=================================================================\
| Internode Ltd - http://www.internode.co.uk |
|-----------------------------------------------------------------|
| John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk |
\=================================================================/

Theo

unread,
Sep 27, 2021, 8:13:45 AMSep 27
to
alan_m <ju...@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> Is it actually possible to switch to an alternative supplier and now be
> on the standard (price capped) variable rate immediately or will the
> alternative supplier only offer a 12/24month (now expensive) fixed price
> contract?

The price cap is only for 'default' tariffs, ie the ones you end up on after
a previous deal expired. It doesn't cover new customers, either on fixed or
variable tariffs.

Of course a supplier might allow you to switch to their default tariff,
since previously they were more expensive than promotional tariffs and there
was a push for 'simplification' in reducing the number of tariffs offered
(which seems to have gone out the window in the last few years). But they
are not obliged to.

When I had a look round on Thursday all the variable rates being offered
were seemingly more than the price cap. So I'm doubtful that you can find
anyone to take you on a capped tariff.

Theo

Chris Green

unread,
Sep 27, 2021, 8:18:04 AMSep 27
to
Robin <r...@outlook.com> wrote:
> On 27/09/2021 10:55, alan_m wrote:
> >
> > I've just received an email
> >
> > Ofgem have appointed Octopus Energy, Britain's most awarded energy
> > supplier, to take over your energy supply from Avro Energy.
> >
> >
> > No real details in the email about tariffs etc.
> >
>
> I think that'll be an email they send to all Avro's customers. The
> precise tariffs will vary with location (and possibly also with how they
> pay).
>
How do they know who to send E-Mail to?

I was with Green and have heard absolutely nothing since they went
bust. I'm not too fussed but it does confirm my conviction that the
current totally ridiculous way we have to buy electricity here in the
UK has to be changed.

The railways are already having to revert to a somewhat saner system
than the franchises, hopefully energy supply will follow suit.

--
Chris Green
·

Robin

unread,
Sep 27, 2021, 8:24:41 AMSep 27
to
You can always switch away from Octopus after the transfer is sorted
with no exit fees.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/what-happens-if-your-energy-supplier-goes-bust

Andy Burns

unread,
Sep 27, 2021, 8:35:21 AMSep 27
to
Chris Green wrote:

> Robin <r...@outlook.com> wrote:
>
>> I think that'll be an email they send to all Avro's customers. Th
>
> How do they know who to send E-Mail to?

I use specific email addresses for all companies I deal with, so I was using
utilitypoint[at]mydomain

Last week I received an email from EDF to that address, presumably UP's T&C
allow passing on of customer details, either direct or via OFGEM's SoLR process?
I can see various legal mumbo jumbo in the T&C they'd point to ...



alan_m

unread,
Sep 27, 2021, 9:02:46 AMSep 27
to
On 27/09/2021 13:11, Chris Green wrote:

> How do they know who to send E-Mail to?

I had a paperless on-line account with an email address as my username.

Avro used to use it for meter reading reminders etc. and Octopus have
used it to inform me of the change in 7 to 14 days.

Peter Able

unread,
Sep 27, 2021, 9:25:25 AMSep 27
to
search the word flexible. Or, better still, follow this page:

https://octopus.energy/avro/

PA

Peter Able

unread,
Sep 27, 2021, 9:29:02 AMSep 27
to
On 27/09/2021 13:02, John Rumm wrote:
> On 27/09/2021 10:55, alan_m wrote:
>>
>> I've just received an email
>>
>> Ofgem have appointed Octopus Energy, Britain's most awarded energy
>> supplier, to take over your energy supply from Avro Energy.
>>
>>
>> No real details in the email about tariffs etc.
>
> Yup, same here... just a case of waiting and seeing what they offer.
> They claim the offer will be better than that they are offering new
> customers applying directly - but that does not mean it will be cheap or
> close to the Avro deal.
>
>

https://octopus.energy/avro/

identifies the tariffs.

PA

Spike

unread,
Sep 27, 2021, 10:12:07 AMSep 27
to
The most relevant part of the information on that page is "Over the next
few weeks, we will transfer you to our systems and move you to one of
our competitive tariffs", with NFI on particular tariffs.

There is a link right at the bottom of that page that says "Our
Tariffs", but it just takes you to their Get A Quote page. My quote was
£195 a month, more than double what was my current payment.


--
Spike

Algernon Goss-Custard

unread,
Sep 27, 2021, 10:30:18 AMSep 27
to
John Rumm <see.my.s...@nowhere.null> posted
>On 27/09/2021 10:55, alan_m wrote:
>> I've just received an email
>> Ofgem have appointed Octopus Energy, Britain's most awarded energy
>>supplier, to take over your energy supply from Avro Energy.
>> No real details in the email about tariffs etc.
>
>Yup, same here... just a case of waiting and seeing what they offer.
>They claim the offer will be better than that they are offering new
>customers applying directly - but that does not mean it will be cheap
>or close to the Avro deal.


The one I got says they use 100% renewable energy. Does that mean all my
lights go out on calm nights?

--
Algernon

The Natural Philosopher

unread,
Sep 27, 2021, 10:34:33 AMSep 27
to
No, they are basically lying


--
No Apple devices were knowingly used in the preparation of this post.

Andy Burns

unread,
Sep 27, 2021, 10:46:51 AMSep 27
to
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

> Algernon Goss-Custard wrote:
>
>> The one I got says they use 100% renewable energy. Does that mean all my
>> lights go out on calm nights?
>
> No, they are basically lying

They seem to be a little more 'honest' about that nowadays, some phrase like 'an
equal amount of renewable energy is provided to the national grid over the
course of a year'

Nobody seems to offer a 100% fossil+nuke tariff

Robin

unread,
Sep 27, 2021, 10:50:21 AMSep 27
to
On 27/09/2021 15:12, Spike wrote:
>
> There is a link right at the bottom of that page that says "Our
> Tariffs", but it just takes you to their Get A Quote page. My quote was
> £195 a month, more than double what was my current payment.
>
>

very possibly. Avro (like so many other small suppliers) appear to have
taken a bet on the wholesale energy markets: heads prices go down and
they win; tails prices go up and they walk away from their losses.

You took a similar bet when you signed up with Avro but can't duck your
loss when compared with a fix at the same time for a less good tariff
but with a more secure supplier.

The market's been like that for years now. And Ofgem have been slow to
educate a public that chasing the cheapest tariffs is not wholly risk free.

Chris Green

unread,
Sep 27, 2021, 11:03:05 AMSep 27
to
I wish that actually happened such that the many people (with haloes?)
who choose '100% renewable' suppliers did actually learn what it means.

Maybe there should be a 'renewables only' grid.

It's absolutely farcical any supplier claiming 100% renewable as,
given that all generation and consumption is shared by the grid you
really can't separate it.

--
Chris Green
·

Andy Burns

unread,
Sep 27, 2021, 11:07:50 AMSep 27
to
Chris Green wrote:

> Algernon Goss-Custard wrote:
>
>> The one I got says they use 100% renewable energy. Does that mean all my
>> lights go out on calm nights?
>>
> I wish that actually happened such that the many people (with haloes?)
> who choose '100% renewable' suppliers did actually learn what it means.
>
> Maybe there should be a 'renewables only' grid.

No need, they could be cut-off by smart meters

charles

unread,
Sep 27, 2021, 11:39:20 AMSep 27
to
In article <o8292i-...@esprimo.zbmc.eu>, Chris Green <c...@isbd.net>
wrote:
of course you can; all the relevant electrons are coloured green,

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
"I'd rather die of exhaustion than die of boredom" Thomas Carlyle

Unknown

unread,
Sep 27, 2021, 11:48:23 AMSep 27
to
Chris Green pretended :
> It's absolutely farcical any supplier claiming 100% renewable as,
> given that all generation and consumption is shared by the grid you
> really can't separate it.

Both the green and black electronics share the same grid, but once they
get to the consumer, the meter filters out just the green ones to allow
through to the consumer.

Jim.GM4DHJ ...

unread,
Sep 27, 2021, 12:21:36 PMSep 27
to
On 27/09/2021 10:55, alan_m wrote:
>
> I've just received an email
>
> Ofgem have appointed Octopus Energy, Britain's most awarded energy
> supplier, to take over your energy supply from Avro Energy.
>
>
> No real details in the email about tariffs etc.
>
glad I never changed from Scottish Gas.....avoided all the fly men ....

Theo

unread,
Sep 27, 2021, 12:50:38 PMSep 27
to
Spike <Aero....@mail.invalid> wrote:
> On 27/09/2021 13:28, Peter Able wrote:
> > https://octopus.energy/avro/
>
> > identifies the tariffs.

Be aware that there are multiple 'Flexible Octopus' tariffs. If you go here
and look at the historical tariffs:
https://octopus.energy/tariffs/
there are tariffs like
Flexible Octopus July 2021 v1
Flexible Octopus May 2021 v1
...
Flexible Octopus April 2019 v1
so it doesn't identify it exactly. I imagine they will make a new Flexible
Octopus tariff.

> The most relevant part of the information on that page is "Over the next
> few weeks, we will transfer you to our systems and move you to one of
> our competitive tariffs", with NFI on particular tariffs.
>
> There is a link right at the bottom of that page that says "Our
> Tariffs", but it just takes you to their Get A Quote page. My quote was
> £195 a month, more than double what was my current payment.

As I said upthread, nobody is offering price capped variable tariffs any
more. So all you are seeing when you search as a new customer is the fixed
price tariffs which are all higher than the cap. They say the new one will
be marginally less than the cap, so wait and see what tariff you end up on.

Theo

Spike

unread,
Sep 27, 2021, 12:59:27 PMSep 27
to
On 27/09/2021 14:50, Robin wrote:
> On 27/09/2021 15:12, Spike wrote:

>> There is a link right at the bottom of that page that says "Our
>> Tariffs", but it just takes you to their Get A Quote page. My quote was
>> £195 a month, more than double what was my current payment.

> very possibly. Avro (like so many other small suppliers) appear to have
> taken a bet on the wholesale energy markets: heads prices go down and
> they win; tails prices go up and they walk away from their losses.

> You took a similar bet when you signed up with Avro but can't duck your
> loss when compared with a fix at the same time for a less good tariff
> but with a more secure supplier.

According to Octopus, transferees will be on a better rate than new
sign-ups, which the amount I mentioned was for.

> The market's been like that for years now. And Ofgem have been slow to
> educate a public that chasing the cheapest tariffs is not wholly risk free.

I'm sure that when they signed up, people did their due diligence on
Avro or whoever, but very few saw this current situation arising, part
of which is due to the very poor amount of gas storage available to
smooth out the winter peaks.


--
Spike

Spike

unread,
Sep 27, 2021, 12:59:47 PMSep 27
to
You shouldn't say things like that - in this Post-Truth society, morons
like Distinction Rebellion will be campaigning to ban black electrons.

--
Spike

Adrian

unread,
Sep 27, 2021, 1:22:42 PMSep 27
to
In message <irebju...@mid.individual.net>, Spike
<Aero....@mail.invalid> writes
>You shouldn't say things like that - in this Post-Truth society, morons
>like Distinction Rebellion will be campaigning to ban black electrons.
>

Wouldn't that be discriminatory ?

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Usenet

The Natural Philosopher

unread,
Sep 27, 2021, 1:37:24 PMSep 27
to
On 27/09/2021 18:19, Adrian wrote:
> In message <irebju...@mid.individual.net>, Spike
> <Aero....@mail.invalid> writes
>> You shouldn't say things like that - in this Post-Truth society, morons
>> like Distinction Rebellion will be campaigning to ban black electrons.
>>
>
> Wouldn't that be discriminatory ?
yes. the only electrons you can ban are white ones

>
> Adrian


--
Microsoft : the best reason to go to Linux that ever existed.

Robin

unread,
Sep 27, 2021, 1:50:39 PMSep 27
to
On 27/09/2021 17:59, Spike wrote:
> On 27/09/2021 14:50, Robin wrote:
>> On 27/09/2021 15:12, Spike wrote:
>
>>> There is a link right at the bottom of that page that says "Our
>>> Tariffs", but it just takes you to their Get A Quote page. My quote was
>>> £195 a month, more than double what was my current payment.
>
>> very possibly. Avro (like so many other small suppliers) appear to have
>> taken a bet on the wholesale energy markets: heads prices go down and
>> they win; tails prices go up and they walk away from their losses.
>
>> You took a similar bet when you signed up with Avro but can't duck your
>> loss when compared with a fix at the same time for a less good tariff
>> but with a more secure supplier.
>
> According to Octopus, transferees will be on a better rate than new
> sign-ups, which the amount I mentioned was for.

I should have been clearer: I meant "a less good <fixed price> tariff
but with a more secure supplier".

>> The market's been like that for years now. And Ofgem have been slow to
>> educate a public that chasing the cheapest tariffs is not wholly risk free.
>
> I'm sure that when they signed up, people did their due diligence on
> Avro or whoever, but very few saw this current situation arising, part
> of which is due to the very poor amount of gas storage available to
> smooth out the winter peaks.
>

Ha! The nearest most people I know get to due diligence is seeing if
they get Nectar points.

alan_m

unread,
Sep 27, 2021, 2:02:12 PMSep 27
to
Ok, this does give a few more details - possibly up to £50 more a month
than I'm currently paying :(

alan_m

unread,
Sep 27, 2021, 2:22:31 PMSep 27
to
But in the years since I switched from Scottish Power I've saved a lot
more than I'm going to have to pay extra over the next year. When
existing yearly contacts end with all suppliers most people are likely
to see a massive rise in bills.

alan_m

unread,
Sep 27, 2021, 2:47:25 PMSep 27
to
But it is virtually risk free. You don't lose any credit and you will
never be cut off. Everyone is free (without cost) to change an appointed
supplier within the month of the change, and at any time without cost if
there are zero exit fees. The automatic switch between a company that
has gone bust and a new appointed supplier can mean that you can do
nothing and just leave it to the system to work.

This time around there are no good deals in the market place but this is
not limited to customers where there supplier has gone bust. In the next
month an 1/12th of consumers with a previous good fixed deal will find
their contacts coming to an end and they will be in exactly the same
boat as us who have been appointed a new supplier. Similarly over the
next 12 months everyone with a previous good fixed deal will find no
contracts that haven't increased significantly in price.

When checking each year my savings have always been at least £200, and
usually a lot more, compared to the deals offered by any of the big players.

Even the Government have hinted that there may not be "more secure
supplies" amongst the big players in the market. If the winter is bad
some of the big suppliers may go under.

Peter Able

unread,
Sep 27, 2021, 3:22:03 PMSep 27
to
On 27/09/2021 15:12, Spike wrote:
"The most relevant part" with respect to "identifies the tariffs" is

"will move customers onto our Flexible Octopus tariff"

A specsavers moment, Spike?

PA

Peter Able

unread,
Sep 27, 2021, 3:37:27 PMSep 27
to
On 27/09/2021 17:50, Theo wrote:
> Spike <Aero....@mail.invalid> wrote:
>> On 27/09/2021 13:28, Peter Able wrote:
>>> https://octopus.energy/avro/
>>
>>> identifies the tariffs.
>
> Be aware that there are multiple 'Flexible Octopus' tariffs. If you go here
> and look at the historical tariffs:
> https://octopus.energy/tariffs/
> there are tariffs like
> Flexible Octopus July 2021 v1
> Flexible Octopus May 2021 v1
> ...
> Flexible Octopus April 2019 v1
> so it doesn't identify it exactly. I imagine they will make a new Flexible
> Octopus tariff.
>

I think that you are missing the point. There are Flexible Octopus
offerings up to and including an October 2021 Flexible Octopus.

That's what happens with Variable (Octopus-speak, Flexible) tariffs.

I suspect that we will be on the September Flexible Octopus rate for a
few days - then bumped up to the next, and then the next etc.

PA

Rod Speed

unread,
Sep 27, 2021, 3:46:26 PMSep 27
to
Spike <Aero....@mail.invalid> wrote
> alan_m wrote

>> I've just received an email
>
>> Ofgem have appointed Octopus Energy, Britain's most awarded energy
>> supplier, to take over your energy supply from Avro Energy.
>
>> No real details in the email about tariffs etc.
>
> Apparently it does say something about the rates and charges being
> cheaper than anything available from any other large supplier today, and
> cheaper than the fixed prices they are offering to new customers on
> their website.

Wonder if that will make Octopus go broke too.

Peeler

unread,
Sep 27, 2021, 3:51:25 PMSep 27
to
On Tue, 28 Sep 2021 05:46:19 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent
Speed, the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:


>
> Wonder if that will make Octopus go broke too.

Absolutely NONE of yours, trolling senile Ozzie pest!

--
Xeno to trolling senile Rodent:
"You're a sad old man Rod, truly sad."
MID: <id04c3...@mid.individual.net>

Theo

unread,
Sep 27, 2021, 3:56:29 PMSep 27
to
Peter Able <st...@home.com> wrote:
> On 27/09/2021 17:50, Theo wrote:
> > Spike <Aero....@mail.invalid> wrote:
> >> On 27/09/2021 13:28, Peter Able wrote:
> >>> https://octopus.energy/avro/
> >>
> >>> identifies the tariffs.
> >
> > Be aware that there are multiple 'Flexible Octopus' tariffs. If you go here
> > and look at the historical tariffs:
> > https://octopus.energy/tariffs/
> > there are tariffs like
> > Flexible Octopus July 2021 v1
> > Flexible Octopus May 2021 v1
> > ...
> > Flexible Octopus April 2019 v1
> > so it doesn't identify it exactly. I imagine they will make a new Flexible
> > Octopus tariff.
> >
>
> I think that you are missing the point. There are Flexible Octopus
> offerings up to and including an October 2021 Flexible Octopus.
>
> That's what happens with Variable (Octopus-speak, Flexible) tariffs.

No, they're not that. I'm on Flexible Octopus May 2021 v1, because that's
when I joined, and they have announced a rise in the prices. They have not
announced that I'm moving to the FO October 2021 tariff, they're just
amending the prices of my May 2021 tariff w/e from 14 October. A few months
back they issued a July 2021 v1 tariff but I didn't move onto that. So the
tariff names reflect when you joined - they aren't the variable prices for
that month.

Theo

alan_m

unread,
Sep 27, 2021, 4:30:18 PMSep 27
to
Today it is cheaper than there fixed rate for new customers which has
already factored in potential price rises. If what is being offered to
Avro customs varies line line with wholesale prices (and adjusted for
any losses) then Octopus will not lose money from Avro customers who stay.

Theo

unread,
Sep 27, 2021, 4:56:06 PMSep 27
to
All you need to do is connect to the right wires. The coal electrons come
on the brown wire, the gas electrons come on the blue wire, and the green
electrons are combined with the yellow solar electrons on the green and
yellow wire.

If you want to run 100% on renewables, you just have to disconnect the brown
and blue wires from your plug and just keep the green and yellow wire. Then
you can be sure your appliance won't cause burning of any carbon fuel.

Or, if you want to burn faster, you can always connect the brown wire to the
blue wire, ideally in your fuse box.

Simples.

Theo

Chris J Dixon

unread,
Sep 28, 2021, 3:14:18 AMSep 28
to
alan_m wrote:

>I've just received an email
>
>Ofgem have appointed Octopus Energy, Britain's most awarded energy
>supplier, to take over your energy supply from Avro Energy.

Still no email for me, and I have checked my spam folder. :-(

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
ch...@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Spike

unread,
Sep 28, 2021, 3:44:52 AMSep 28
to
On 27/09/2021 19:21, Peter Able wrote:
> On 27/09/2021 15:12, Spike wrote:
>> On 27/09/2021 13:28, Peter Able wrote:

>>> https://octopus.energy/avro/

>>> identifies the tariffs.

>> The most relevant part of the information on that page is "Over the next
>> few weeks, we will transfer you to our systems and move you to one of
>> our competitive tariffs", with NFI on particular tariffs.

>> There is a link right at the bottom of that page that says "Our
>> Tariffs", but it just takes you to their Get A Quote page. My quote was
>> £195 a month, more than double what was my current payment.

> "The most relevant part" with respect to "identifies the tariffs" is

> "will move customers onto our Flexible Octopus tariff"

> A specsavers moment, Spike?

> PA

Nope... In my email the word 'Octopus' does not have the word 'flexible'
next to it, either leading or following. Indeed, it doesn't mention
'flexible' at all...


--
Spike

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

unread,
Sep 28, 2021, 3:57:40 AMSep 28
to
I think when you work it all out any savings on the different rates are
minimal and one supposes that its swings and roundabouts, as if gov keep
caps in many more suppliers will throw in the towel. I signed up to a fixed
price deal with edf in September, and if there was no cap, which came in
after I'd signed then if it had continued to rise, I'd be in pocket. Of
course that way well still be the case if the cap is changed due to the high
costs of energy later on. How can you really make any decision with such a
volatile market in any case.

I notice that most fixed price deals can be changed but many suppliers want
an admin fee of about 15 quid to do it once you are on the fixed ones.
Brian

--

This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"alan_m" <ju...@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote in message
news:irdouc...@mid.individual.net...
> On 27/09/2021 11:29, Spike wrote:
>> On 27/09/2021 09:55, alan_m wrote:
>>
>>> I've just received an email
>>
>>> Ofgem have appointed Octopus Energy, Britain's most awarded energy
>>> supplier, to take over your energy supply from Avro Energy.
>>
>>> No real details in the email about tariffs etc.
>>
>> Apparently it does say something about the rates and charges being
>> cheaper than anything available from any other large supplier today, and
>> cheaper than the fixed prices they are offering to new customers on
>> their website.
>>
>
> Their wording
>
> We will be in touch with your rates and charges soon, but they will be
> cheaper than anything available from any other large supplier today - and
> cheaper than the fixed prices we're currently offering new customers on
> our own website.
>
> This doesn't mean its a fixed price deal and it could mean that prices
> may rise soon after the switch without a price cap - it may not be their
> price capped variable rate which may/will be the cheaper option. Some of
> the advice on web sites about what happens next suggests its often a
> unique deal for adopted customers which overall tend to be more expensive
> than for existing customers. At the moment most (all) energy companies are
> not offering good fixed price deals and are assuming energy prices will
> stay high and/or rising for the foreseeable future.
>
> Is it actually possible to switch to an alternative supplier and now be on
> the standard (price capped) variable rate immediately or will the
> alternative supplier only offer a 12/24month (now expensive) fixed price
> contract?

Owain Lastname

unread,
Sep 28, 2021, 4:15:49 AMSep 28
to
On Monday, 27 September 2021 at 17:21:36 UTC+1, Jim.GM4DHJ ... wrote:
> glad I never changed from Scottish Gas.....avoided all the fly men ....

If you've ever tried their online chat you'll notice a marked lack of Scottish names in the agents.

Owain

Algernon Goss-Custard

unread,
Sep 28, 2021, 4:48:51 AMSep 28
to
Spike <Aero....@mail.invalid> posted
>On 27/09/2021 19:21, Peter Able wrote:
>> On 27/09/2021 15:12, Spike wrote:
>>> On 27/09/2021 13:28, Peter Able wrote:
>
>>>> https://octopus.energy/avro/
>
>>>> identifies the tariffs.
>
>>> The most relevant part of the information on that page is "Over the next
>>> few weeks, we will transfer you to our systems and move you to one of
>>> our competitive tariffs", with NFI on particular tariffs.
>
>>> There is a link right at the bottom of that page that says "Our
>>> Tariffs", but it just takes you to their Get A Quote page. My quote was
>>> £195 a month, more than double what was my current payment.
>
>> "The most relevant part" with respect to "identifies the tariffs" is
>
>> "will move customers onto our Flexible Octopus tariff"
>
>> A specsavers moment, Spike?
>
>> PA
>
>Nope... In my email the word 'Octopus' does not have the word 'flexible'
>next to it, either leading or following. Indeed, it doesn't mention
>'flexible' at all...

Same here.


--
Algernon

Jim.GM4DHJ ...

unread,
Sep 28, 2021, 4:53:23 AMSep 28
to
This has only happened because of the fly by night companies gambling on
fixed price contracts.....I thought the Gov were going to enforce paying
the real cost in winter and summer instead of leveling out
payments...made sense to me....

Jim.GM4DHJ ...

unread,
Sep 28, 2021, 4:54:58 AMSep 28
to
never use chat lines.......

Jim.GM4DHJ ...

unread,
Sep 28, 2021, 4:55:57 AMSep 28
to
must try that

Davidm

unread,
Sep 28, 2021, 6:58:30 AMSep 28
to
On Tue, 28 Sep 2021 08:14:10 +0100, Chris J Dixon <ch...@cdixon.me.uk>
wrote:

>alan_m wrote:
>
>>I've just received an email
>>
>>Ofgem have appointed Octopus Energy, Britain's most awarded energy
>>supplier, to take over your energy supply from Avro Energy.
>
>Still no email for me, and I have checked my spam folder. :-(
>
>Chris
Here's the text of what I received on 26th Sept:

From: av...@octopus.energy

Ofgem have appointed Octopus Energy, Britain’s most awarded energy
supplier, to take over your energy supply from Avro Energy.
Your energy supply will carry on as usual, any credit balance will be
safe.
Should you choose to stick with us, you’ll enjoy our great value 100%
renewable energy, and outstanding customer service.
You don’t need to do anything now, we will be in touch with more
information in 7 days.

Dear Mr xxxxxxxxr,
Ofgem, the energy regulator, has asked Octopus Energy to step in and
look after Avro’s customers as the company has ceased trading.
Over the next few weeks, we will transfer you to our award-winning
customer service platform on one of our great value tariffs.
We will be in touch with your rates and charges soon, but they will be
cheaper than anything available from any other large supplier today —
and cheaper than the fixed prices we’re currently offering new
customers on our own website.
Once the switch is complete, you’ll be free to stay with Octopus with
no exit fees, or switch to another supplier. You won’t be able to
switch until then due to energy industry limitations.

Good to know:
Your energy supply will continue uninterrupted. You will not be
cut off.
Any money Avro owed you is safe and will be credited to your new
Octopus account as soon as possible
If you pay by Direct Debit, this will continue as usual and
automatically start crediting us rather than Avro. Please do not
cancel your Direct Debit.
If you’ve already cancelled your Direct Debit, that’s no problem —
we’ll send you details of how to set up a new one soon.
If you are a prepayment customer, you will be able to top up in
the same way you have been doing and will not lose supply

There’s no need to call or email us — we will be in touch within 7
days with an update. Throughout this process, you’ll find the latest
information on our website.
You don’t need to do anything, but submitting a meter reading on the
Avro website will help us ensure a smooth transition.
If you have any difficulties with the Avro website, just make a note
of your readings and we'll ask for them soon.
If you are away, or can’t make a note, don’t worry. It won’t affect
your switch and we will be in touch soon with more information.
Octopus is renowned for fantastic service, but please do not call or
email us unless it’s vital.

Here’s what will happen next:
Within 7 days
We will contact you with an update.
Within 14 days
We expect to have most accounts reviewed, transferred, and operating
properly. Please do not cancel your Direct Debit as we will move to
over to us.

Once your switch is complete, you’ll be free to switch to another
supplier (but we hope you’ll stay).

We are committed to making this as smooth as possible. We’re proud of
our reputation for customer service and ask that you bear with us
whilst we begin the tidying process so we can give you the service you
deserve.

Love and power,
Greg
CEO and founder
Octopus Energy

Andrew

unread,
Sep 28, 2021, 7:16:51 AMSep 28
to
On 27/09/2021 11:07, R D S wrote:
> On 27/09/2021 10:55, alan_m wrote:
>>
>> I've just received an email
>>
>> Ofgem have appointed Octopus Energy, Britain's most awarded energy
>> supplier, to take over your energy supply from Avro Energy.
>>
> I wonder if the struggling suppliers could contact customers and ask if
> they'd accept a higher tariff.
>
> I CBA changing supplier.

Now Al Gores 'investment fund' has taken a stake in Octopus, making
it worth more then Centrica !!!

Andrew

unread,
Sep 28, 2021, 7:19:31 AMSep 28
to
Or asking for a 'discount' at car boot sales

:-)

Andrew

unread,
Sep 28, 2021, 7:20:17 AMSep 28
to
On 27/09/2021 15:22, Algernon Goss-Custard wrote:
> John Rumm <see.my.s...@nowhere.null> posted
>> On 27/09/2021 10:55, alan_m wrote:
>>>  I've just received an email
>>>  Ofgem have appointed Octopus Energy, Britain's most awarded energy
>>> supplier, to take over your energy supply from Avro Energy.
>>>   No real details in the email about tariffs etc.
>>
>> Yup, same here... just a case of waiting and seeing what they offer.
>> They claim the offer will be better than that they are offering new
>> customers applying directly - but that does not mean it will be cheap
>> or close to the Avro deal.
>
>
> The one I got says they use 100% renewable energy. Does that mean all my
> lights go out on calm nights?
>

All my lights go off at night when I go to bed anyway.

Andrew

unread,
Sep 28, 2021, 7:44:42 AMSep 28
to
On 27/09/2021 16:48, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
> Chris Green pretended :
>> It's absolutely farcical any supplier claiming 100% renewable as,
>> given that all generation and consumption is shared by the grid you
>> really can't separate it.
>
> Both the green and black electronics share the same grid, but once they
> get to the consumer, the meter filters out just the green ones to allow
> through to the consumer.

But the blue ones get there faster

Andrew

unread,
Sep 28, 2021, 7:58:31 AMSep 28
to
On 28/09/2021 09:15, Owain Lastname wrote:
And no detectable wee Scottish accent either.

Nicola likes to welcome gimme-grants so maybe that's who
they are.

Andrew

unread,
Sep 28, 2021, 8:00:07 AMSep 28
to
Which in turn depended on the army of great British cheapskates
always on the hunt for 'free' or 'discount'

alan_m

unread,
Sep 28, 2021, 8:18:18 AMSep 28
to
On 28/09/2021 08:14, Chris J Dixon wrote:
> alan_m wrote:
>
>> I've just received an email
>>
>> Ofgem have appointed Octopus Energy, Britain's most awarded energy
>> supplier, to take over your energy supply from Avro Energy.
>
> Still no email for me, and I have checked my spam folder. :-(
>
> Chris
>


More updates

https://octopus.energy/avro/

alan_m

unread,
Sep 28, 2021, 8:27:38 AMSep 28
to
On 28/09/2021 13:00, Andrew wrote:

>
> Which in turn depended on the army of great British cheapskates
> always on the hunt for 'free' or 'discount'

So by paying possibly £1000s more you have been getting better
electricity and gas over the past few decades?

Peter Able

unread,
Sep 28, 2021, 2:28:54 PMSep 28
to
Get a grip Spike. The discussion is about https://octopus.energy/avro/

Spike

unread,
Sep 29, 2021, 4:52:53 AMSep 29
to
I'm talking apples, you're pointing at oranges....


--
Spike

Spike

unread,
Sep 29, 2021, 6:32:23 AMSep 29
to
On 28/09/2021 07:14, Chris J Dixon wrote:
> alan_m wrote:

>> I've just received an email

>> Ofgem have appointed Octopus Energy, Britain's most awarded energy
>> supplier, to take over your energy supply from Avro Energy.

> Still no email for me, and I have checked my spam folder. :-(

I've just had an email from Avro telling me my contract is due for
renewal soon, and pointing to a 'Get A Quote' link...

The renewal is inviting me to Renew Now...

Elec.... SC 25.662p Unit rate 21.604p
Gas.... SC 26.123p Unit rate 4.196p

Should I renew? ;-)


--
Spike

Mike Clarke

unread,
Sep 29, 2021, 9:42:03 AMSep 29
to
On 27/09/2021 21:56, Theo wrote:

> All you need to do is connect to the right wires. The coal electrons come
> on the brown wire, the gas electrons come on the blue wire, and the green
> electrons are combined with the yellow solar electrons on the green and
> yellow wire.

Surely it was the black wire for coal. That was why they introduced the
new harmonised colour scheme to phase out coal fired electricity.

Mike Clarke

unread,
Sep 29, 2021, 9:58:57 AMSep 29
to
On 28/09/2021 09:46, Algernon Goss-Custard wrote:
> Spike <Aero....@mail.invalid> posted

[snip]

>> Nope... In my email the word 'Octopus' does not have the word 'flexible'
>> next to it, either leading or following. Indeed, it doesn't mention
>> 'flexible' at all...
>
> Same here.

Neither did mine but it is mentioned in the update email I received today.

"You’re switching to our always-good-value variable tariff, Flexible
Octopus. It’s priced £10 cheaper than the Ofgem Price Cap for the
typical home, and cheaper than anything available from any other large
supplier today — and cheaper than the fixed prices we’re currently able
to offer new customers on our own website. It has no exit fees, so
you’re always in control."

And I assume the "£10 below the price cap" is based on annual costs so
not of any real value.

And on their web page they also say it is cheaper than the fixed prices
they're currently offering new customers but don't say by how much.
https://octopus.energy/avro/

Mike Clarke

unread,
Sep 29, 2021, 10:03:09 AMSep 29