Lidl shower

James Harris

Jan 18, 2015, 6:56:15 PM1/18/15
Lidl have a Miomare thermostatic mixer shower for Ł69.99. I wondered if
anyone had opinions on it.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?id=470

An alternative is a Mira Atom ERD from B&Q for, currently, Ł216

http://www.diy.com/departments/x/262640_BQ.prd

The same Mira shower is apprently available (new and with 5yr guarantee) on
Ebay for Ł170.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/221662848257

Any opinions on the Lidl shower especially when compared with the other two
options?

James

Weatherlawyer

Jan 18, 2015, 8:30:01 PM1/18/15
My experience with Lidl is that lower management is very negligent of their perishable produce. I wouldn't buy plants from them and expect good results and I seldom buy fruit and vegetable there either.

Some of the meat they have is still edible but UK standards are pretty low compared to halal and kosher requirements. I don't know what their management is like further up the food chain.

I can only suggest that a mixer that pours water and doesn't leak all over the place (if you are lucky) does not necessarily supply a "good" shower. If you are happy to get wet (and presumably clean) and are not to too bothered about temperatures, go ahead.

In keeping with all other shops and supermarkets these days I imagine they get most of their products from China. So you are dealing with a cut-price company that has a background in communist eastern Europe, buying low cost produce from China (a country inhabited by people who will kill and eat their grandmothers for money.) And you want reassurance that it is going to work OK at half price?

Really?

RJH

Jan 18, 2015, 8:55:59 PM1/18/15
On 19/01/2015 01:29, Weatherlawyer wrote:
> On Sunday, 18 January 2015 23:56:15 UTC, James Harris wrote:
>> Lidl have a Miomare thermostatic mixer shower for Ł69.99. I wondered if
>> anyone had opinions on it.
>>
>> http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?id=470
>>
>> An alternative is a Mira Atom ERD from B&Q for, currently, Ł216
>>
>> http://www.diy.com/departments/x/262640_BQ.prd
>>
>> The same Mira shower is apprently available (new and with 5yr guarantee) on
>> Ebay for Ł170.
>>
>> www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/221662848257
>>
>> Any opinions on the Lidl shower especially when compared with the other two
>> options?
>
> My experience with Lidl is that lower management is very negligent of their perishable produce. I wouldn't buy plants from them and expect good results and I seldom buy fruit and vegetable there either.

Just about the opposite here. I find their fruit/veg to be pretty good,
at just above market prices.

> Some of the meat they have is still edible but UK standards are pretty low compared to halal and kosher requirements. I don't know what their management is like further up the food chain.

Not sure that kosher etc has much to do with 'quality' in itself. But
I'm not much of a meat eater so couldn't comment on how good it is.

> I can only suggest that a mixer that pours water and doesn't leak all over the place (if you are lucky) does not necessarily supply a "good" shower. If you are happy to get wet (and presumably clean) and are not to too bothered about temperatures, go ahead.

One of the few things I've bought from Lidl that's given cause for
complaint has been a mixer tap. Leaked from new. There is a 3 year
warranty, which I'll invoke when I get round to it.

And a DAB radio that shouldn't have left the drawing board.

> In keeping with all other shops and supermarkets these days I imagine they get most of their products from China. So you are dealing with a cut-price company that has a background in communist eastern Europe, buying low cost produce from China (a country inhabited by people who will kill and eat their grandmothers for money.) And you want reassurance that it is going to work OK at half price?

Intuitively, I'd agree, except that they do have a very different
business model compared with most UK big retailers, so it does push them
into the more 'not sure' bracket. And anecdotally, I disagree - most of
the DIY/household stuff I've bought has held up very well.

> Really?

Yep.

--
Cheers, Rob

Weatherlawyer

Jan 18, 2015, 11:34:31 PM1/18/15
On Monday, 19 January 2015 01:55:59 UTC, RJH wrote:
> On 19/01/2015 01:29, Weatherlawyer wrote:
> > On Sunday, 18 January 2015 23:56:15 UTC, James Harris wrote:
> >> Lidl have a Miomare thermostatic mixer shower for Ł69.99. I wondered if
> >> anyone had opinions on it.
> >>
> >> http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?id=470
> >>
> >> An alternative is a Mira Atom ERD from B&Q for, currently, Ł216
> >>
> >> http://www.diy.com/departments/x/262640_BQ.prd
> >>
> >> The same Mira shower is apprently available (new and with 5yr guarantee) on
> >> Ebay for Ł170.
> >>
> >> www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/221662848257
> >>
> >> Any opinions on the Lidl shower especially when compared with the other two
> >> options?
> >
> > My experience with Lidl is that lower management is very negligent of their perishable produce. I wouldn't buy plants from them and expect good results and I seldom buy fruit and vegetable there either.
> >

> Just about the opposite here. I find their fruit/veg to be pretty good,
> at just above market prices.

Got a good manager then. All the Aldi and Lidl shops in this region will stock plants in a few weeks time. And they will not get watered unless they are left out in the rain. Most of them will still be in the shops until half dead -at which time price reductions will attract a few buyers.

You won't see the same problem because of better management or because you live at the depot where they come in from the docks. I can't believe a vegetarian would shop there for veg but well...

Congratulations.
Pity you seem to agree with me about the hardware they sell.
Let's hope the OP doesn't have to eat it.

harryagain

Jan 19, 2015, 2:23:02 AM1/19/15

"James Harris" <james.h...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Pay peanuts, get shit.
Pay more, you might get a worthwhile product but no guarantees these days.
No way of knowing, even once good manufacturers now outsource, banking on
their good name.
Works for a while.
Until people realise that they are not buying the quality they once were
from that name.

I think the last thread on this topic was AEG. (Now apparently Zanussi, as
shit as you can get)

Brian Gaff

Jan 19, 2015, 4:16:30 AM1/19/15
Tell me what you really think, don't mess about.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Weatherlawyer" <Weathe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

CB

Jan 19, 2015, 6:04:23 AM1/19/15
On 18/01/2015 23:56, James Harris wrote:
> Lidl have a Miomare thermostatic mixer shower for £69.99. I wondered if
> anyone had opinions on it.
>
> http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?id=470
>
> An alternative is a Mira Atom ERD from B&Q for, currently, £216
>
> http://www.diy.com/departments/x/262640_BQ.prd
>
> The same Mira shower is apprently available (new and with 5yr guarantee) on
> Ebay for £170.
>
> www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/221662848257
>
> Any opinions on the Lidl shower especially when compared with the other two
> options?
>
> James

A lot of comments on these forums regarding Lidl hardware products seem
to be that they are generally ok for occasional amateur use, reliability
can be a bit suspect but Lidl are very good at giving you your money
back if the device fails within 3 years and you take it back with receipt.

Whilst this may be fine for a power drill, radio or food mixer, I Don't
think these are the odds I would want to play with for a shower, and all
the work involved in fitting and removing etc.

--
CB

Dave Plowman (News)

Jan 19, 2015, 7:08:52 AM1/19/15
In article <c3fd9fbf-85d7-4dbc...@googlegroups.com>,
Weatherlawyer <Weathe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My experience with Lidl is that lower management is very negligent of
> their perishable produce. I wouldn't buy plants from them and expect
> good results and I seldom buy fruit and vegetable there either.

I tend to look at the condition of fruit and vegetables regardless of
where I buy them from. But such produce from a supermarket is rarely as
fresh as that from the local market - round here anyway.

> Some of the meat they have is still edible but UK standards are pretty
> low compared to halal and kosher requirements. I don't know what their
> management is like further up the food chain.

Again, can't say I've found much difference between supermarkets as
regards meat quality. If I want the best I'll use a local butcher. But
expect to pay a lot more.

> I can only suggest that a mixer that pours water and doesn't leak all
> over the place (if you are lucky) does not necessarily supply a "good"
> shower. If you are happy to get wet (and presumably clean) and are not
> to too bothered about temperatures, go ahead.

You seem to be assuming you only ever get what you pay for.

> In keeping with all other shops and supermarkets these days I imagine
> they get most of their products from China. So you are dealing with a
> cut-price company that has a background in communist eastern Europe,
> buying low cost produce from China (a country inhabited by people who
> will kill and eat their grandmothers for money.) And you want
> reassurance that it is going to work OK at half price?

Thing is that buying a 'known' brand you think is British is no guarantee
as to where it is made. Dyson being an obvious example. Indeed you'd be
hard pressed to find anything like this which is actually made in the UK.
And even if it is assembled locally, parts may be made anywhere.

I've no experience of Lidl showers. But do have considerable experience of
Lidl tools - both hand and power. And they tend to be superb value for
money. Unlike the junk some sheds and supermarkets sell at the 'budget'
end.

What they seem to do is negotiate a deal with a variety of makers. For a
fixed number of units - once they are sold, that's it. So it would be no
surprise to find they can be sold at a fraction of the price of a similar
quality 'stock' item.

--
*When the going gets tough, the tough take a coffee break *

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave Plowman (News)

Jan 19, 2015, 7:08:52 AM1/19/15
In article <ee94cb2c-df86-4db9...@googlegroups.com>,
Weatherlawyer <Weathe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Got a good manager then. All the Aldi and Lidl shops in this region will
> stock plants in a few weeks time. And they will not get watered unless
> they are left out in the rain. Most of them will still be in the shops
> until half dead -at which time price reductions will attract a few
> buyers.

Much the same as the local B&Q, then, with bedding plants. The Homebase
across the road looks after them much better.

--
*It was all so different before everything changed.

Weatherlawyer

Jan 19, 2015, 7:13:18 AM1/19/15
On Monday, 19 January 2015 07:23:02 UTC, harry wrote:

> I think

not.

Dave Plowman (News)

Jan 19, 2015, 7:18:57 AM1/19/15
In article <m9ibbl$h9c$2...@dont-email.me>,
harryagain <harry...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> Pay peanuts, get shit. Pay more, you might get a worthwhile product but
> no guarantees these days.

Lidl tend to have a very good 'guarantee'. Provided you keep the receipt,
they will give you your money back if you return the goods. Often for up
to 3 years.

Rather better than many so called 'quality' retailers.

--
*Filthy stinking rich -- well, two out of three ain't bad

Dave Plowman (News)

Jan 19, 2015, 7:29:01 AM1/19/15
In article <m9ioam$tjv$1...@dont-email.me>,
CB <ne...@salis.co.uk> wrote:
> A lot of comments on these forums regarding Lidl hardware products seem
> to be that they are generally ok for occasional amateur use, reliability
> can be a bit suspect but Lidl are very good at giving you your money
> back if the device fails within 3 years and you take it back with
> receipt.

I've got lots of Lidl tools - both hand and power. Reliability hasn't been
an issue. But they are only used for DIY. They tend to be priced at the
'that would be nice to have' level - whereas buying 'top' brands could be
out of the question due to cost.

> Whilst this may be fine for a power drill, radio or food mixer, I Don't
> think these are the odds I would want to play with for a shower, and all
> the work involved in fitting and removing etc.

If it is something built in, I'd expect to be able to buy spares for it as
required. My Aqualisa shower is built in, and many years old. Has needed
several new cartridges in this time, and a hew head (due to corrosion)

If it had been an add on type, or easy to change the entire thing, I'd
probably have just bought new. Spares can be a considerable percentage of
the complete new price. As with say batteries for a power tool.

--
*Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

Martin Brown

Jan 19, 2015, 8:57:52 AM1/19/15
On 19/01/2015 01:55, RJH wrote:

> And a DAB radio that shouldn't have left the drawing board.

That is true of all DAB radios - unless you find the sound of boiling
mud appealing. The only thing they do well is inter programme gaps.

Not really something you can blame Lidl for - DAB was a dodgy early
specification poorly implemented in the UK and then bitrate degraded.

> Intuitively, I'd agree, except that they do have a very different
> business model compared with most UK big retailers, so it does push them
> into the more 'not sure' bracket. And anecdotally, I disagree - most of
> the DIY/household stuff I've bought has held up very well.

They and ALDI stock a smaller number of lines - some of it quite good.
Lidls in store bakery does rather good Danish pastries.

You can always tell if they have a particularly good Medion model
amenable to Hackintosh treatment on offer by the long queue of geeks
outside at opening time. They sometimes have low self discharge NiMH
which are so far as I can tell at least as good as higher cost brands.

That said I'd be a bit wary of a shower controller system since it would
be a serious PITA to replace if it didn't behave itself.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Dave Plowman (News)

Jan 19, 2015, 9:36:06 AM1/19/15
In article <m9j2gq$n3q$1...@speranza.aioe.org>,
Martin Brown <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> That is true of all DAB radios - unless you find the sound of boiling
> mud appealing. The only thing they do well is inter programme gaps.

I have a DAB radio in the car and can truly say I've never heard 'boiling
mud' on it.

But all radio signals tend to sound nasty when reception is less than
adequate.

--
*Black holes are where God divided by zero *

Martin Brown

Jan 19, 2015, 10:39:49 AM1/19/15
> In article <m9j2gq$n3q$1...@speranza.aioe.org>,
> Martin Brown <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>> That is true of all DAB radios - unless you find the sound of boiling
>> mud appealing. The only thing they do well is inter programme gaps.
>
> I have a DAB radio in the car and can truly say I've never heard 'boiling
> mud' on it.

A car isn't somewhere you normally listen to radio with any expectation
of high quality sound though - engine and road noise see to that.

> But all radio signals tend to sound nasty when reception is less than
> adequate.

But DAB falls off a digital cliff. Borderline FM is still listenable in
a car for radio 4 with a higher noise floor but that isn't what you get
on DAB. It is all or nothing (unlistenable burbling).

I will concede that DAB might work for in car entertainment in central
London.
But it is a total waste of space for most of the UK.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Andy Burns

Jan 19, 2015, 10:42:08 AM1/19/15
Martin Brown wrote:

> On 19/01/2015 01:55, RJH wrote:
>
>> a DAB radio that shouldn't have left the drawing board.
>
> The only thing they do well is inter programme gaps.

Actually the DAB radio in my car doesn't handle programme junctions on
the BBC ensemble well at times when they adjust the number of Capacity
Units such as when R5LSX switches from the trailer loop to an actual
programme, or when Yesterday in Parliament or the Morning Service split
off from R4.

Message has been deleted

Theo Markettos

Jan 19, 2015, 11:59:42 AM1/19/15
"Dave Plowman (News)" <da...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> If it is something built in, I'd expect to be able to buy spares for it as
> required. My Aqualisa shower is built in, and many years old. Has needed
> several new cartridges in this time, and a hew head (due to corrosion)

Lidl have a manuals site, and the manuals usually show the actual
manufacturer/importer. If this is the shower:
http://www.lidl-service.com/static/98637264/103012_EN.pdf

then the contact would seem to be:
Eisl Handels GmbH
Schlossplatz 1
D-83410 Laufen
Tel: 00800–87934629*
Fax: 00800–87934650*
E-Mail: kunden...@eisl.at

and Eisl's webform allows contact to the service department.

Theo

Dave Plowman (News)

Jan 19, 2015, 1:27:06 PM1/19/15
In article <m9j8fv$70p$1...@speranza.aioe.org>,
Martin Brown <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > I have a DAB radio in the car and can truly say I've never heard
> > 'boiling mud' on it.

> A car isn't somewhere you normally listen to radio with any expectation
> of high quality sound though - engine and road noise see to that.

Neither is a cheap portable radio.

I'll bet the system in my car has a much wider frequency response than any
portable.

--
*Always drink upstream from the herd *

Dave Plowman (News)

Jan 19, 2015, 1:37:10 PM1/19/15
In article <U9x*+30...@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
I've not checked on that particular item, but with power tools etc the
range of spare parts tends to be pretty limited. If indeed any - as the
ParkSide brand doesn't all come from the same maker.

--
*No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver,purple

Fredxxx

Jan 19, 2015, 1:51:38 PM1/19/15
On 19/01/2015 07:22, harryagain wrote:
> "James Harris" <james.h...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Lidl have a Miomare thermostatic mixer shower for £69.99. I wondered if
>> anyone had opinions on it.
>>
>> http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?id=470
>>
>> An alternative is a Mira Atom ERD from B&Q for, currently, £216
>>
>> http://www.diy.com/departments/x/262640_BQ.prd
>>
>> The same Mira shower is apprently available (new and with 5yr guarantee)
>> on Ebay for £170.
>>
>> www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/221662848257
>>
>> Any opinions on the Lidl shower especially when compared with the other
>> two options?
>
> Pay peanuts, get shit.
> Pay more, you might get a worthwhile product but no guarantees these days.
> No way of knowing, even once good manufacturers now outsource, banking on
> their good name.
> Works for a while.
> Until people realise that they are not buying the quality they once were
> from that name.
>
> I think the last thread on this topic was AEG. (Now apparently Zanussi, as
> shit as you can get)

I recently bought one very similar to this off ebay for about the same
price.

If its the same, I can testify that it does the job well and doesn't leak.

mike

Jan 19, 2015, 2:04:18 PM1/19/15
I had this dilemma last year. Eventually opted for a Crosswater branded one. Would've been four or five times the price of the Lidl one if I'd paid full price. Thankfully, I didn't. Piece of designer shit. Handles constantly loosening despite best efforts to tighten them, haunted house noises that frighten the cat when the thermostat kicks in and heads that are so bereft of design skill that you can't turn them when your hands are wet. If Dyson did thermostatic mixers.....

I've no idea if you can get spares for it but if it died, I'd sling it in the bin. I'm sure it's out of the same Chinese factory as everyone else's.

If only you got what you paid for...

I'd give the Lidl one a go.