Fixing a broken Anglepoise

Clive Page

Dec 6, 2021, 1:42:33 PM12/6/21
As an alternative to the frequent complaints here, here's a note of recent excellent service:

I've had an Anglepoise lamp on my desk for many years. A week ago when I grabbed it a bit roughly, a couple of nylon struts fractured and the lamp collapsed in a heap of springs. A web search for spare parts brought me to anglepoise.com (based in Portsmouth) which showed images of a huge number of their lamps. The best match to mine was said to have been last sold in the late 1960s. It might have been a present from my parents around that time.

I contacted the helpdesk of anglepoise.com and they asked me to email them an image of the broken part. They didn't have an exact replacement, maybe the company has since learned that nylon only lasts a few decades. But they posted me a similar part made of metal that they thought might fit. I found that a combination of the old nylon spacers and the new metal linkage bar works fine. They wouldn't take any payment but I've made a donation to a charity they nominated.

So - excellent service of the kind not often encountered.

Mind you the retail prices of their new lamps are astonishingly high so perhaps they can afford to be generous. But if their free after-sales service lasts for over 50 years that does make a difference. Can anyone beat that?

--
Clive Page

Pamela

Dec 6, 2021, 2:19:46 PM12/6/21
I had a couple of Anglepoise lamps but the only thing they needed was
to have the little nuts tightened from time to time.

The only product I can think of with similar long after-sales is a
Quad amp from Acoustical Manufacturing.

Fifty years ago I bought one of their amps second-hand just as it was
being discontinued, yet today there's an active market for them and I
could sell it at a profit even after inflation. No doubt to do with
few model changes and building with standard parts. After they got
taken over, they could still supply parts at bargain prices.

Admittedly the design is aged by today's standards. My amp now rests
in the loft as I prefer wifi speakers for their convenience.

jkn

Dec 6, 2021, 2:45:45 PM12/6/21
Slightly related: I would like to get hold of one of the old-fashioned push-on / push-off main switches (yes, for an Anglepoise), as shown in this kit of spares:

https://www.anglepoise.com/spares/repair%20_service_for_model_90

But I cannot find the right term to search for, and the style seems to be no longer readily available. Can anyone suggest a source please?

(I'm actually just after the threaded 'cap', but I don't mind splashing out for a whole new switch, as long as I don't have to pay Anglepoise prices!)

Cheers, Jon N

Bob Eager

Dec 6, 2021, 7:21:31 PM12/6/21
On Mon, 06 Dec 2021 19:18:23 +0000, Pamela wrote:

> The only product I can think of with similar long after-sales is a Quad
> amp from Acoustical Manufacturing.

Hear hear. I bought a knackered Quad 33/303 from my brother in law for a
song. One of the PCBs was burnt and damaged.

They charged a very reasonable amount for repair, first sending me a set
of original shipping cartons FOC (the small configuration boards should
be taken out for shipping, and the shipping material included slots for
them).

I got a very detailed, itemised invoice for fixing and refurbishing both
the 33 and the 303, although it was a while ago now. The one thing they
did FOC was to replace the little 'Quad lamp' where the writing had worn
off.

John Rumm

Dec 6, 2021, 8:06:53 PM12/6/21
Well it does say "Free Lifetime Guarente" at the top of the web site, so
why not ask em for one?

--
Cheers,

John.

Theo

Dec 6, 2021, 8:49:13 PM12/6/21
Clive Page <use...@page2.eu> wrote:
> Mind you the retail prices of their new lamps are astonishingly high so
> perhaps they can afford to be generous. But if their free after-sales
> service lasts for over 50 years that does make a difference. Can anyone
> beat that?

Not quite, but Miele still had parts for a ~35 year old dishwasher, last
time I talked to them. Definitely not free, though.

The anglepoise lights aren't as astronishingly high as:
https://www.seriousreaders.com/categories/table-lights
(I saw that advertised on TV recently and wondered how something that looks
like it cost £20 from China could be £350, or a hundred quid more for some
18650s shoved in the base)

Theo

Owain Lastname

Dec 6, 2021, 9:18:06 PM12/6/21
On Monday, 6 December 2021 at 19:45:45 UTC, jkn wrote:
> Slightly related: I would like to get hold of one of the old-fashioned push-on / push-off main switches (yes, for an Anglepoise), as shown in this kit of spares:
> https://www.anglepoise.com/spares/repair%20_service_for_model_90
> But I cannot find the right term to search for, and the style seems to be no longer readily available. Can anyone suggest a source please?

Available from almost every electrical shop eg
https://www.electricalcounter.co.uk/products/Lighting/Lighting+Accessories/Door+%26+In+Line+Switches/Press+Switch+2Amp/2200597779
exact dimensions may vary

Owain

RJH

Dec 7, 2021, 2:56:56 AM12/7/21
On 7 Dec 2021 at 00:15:37 GMT, "Bob Eager" <news...@eager.cx> wrote:

> On Mon, 06 Dec 2021 19:18:23 +0000, Pamela wrote:
>
>> The only product I can think of with similar long after-sales is a Quad
>> amp from Acoustical Manufacturing.
>
> Hear hear. I bought a knackered Quad 33/303 from my brother in law for a
> song. One of the PCBs was burnt and damaged.
>
> They charged a very reasonable amount for repair, first sending me a set
> of original shipping cartons FOC (the small configuration boards should
> be taken out for shipping, and the shipping material included slots for
> them).
>
> I got a very detailed, itemised invoice for fixing and refurbishing both
> the 33 and the 303, although it was a while ago now. The one thing they
> did FOC was to replace the little 'Quad lamp' where the writing had worn
> off.

I had a Quad 34 preamplifier and FM4 tuner repaired - IIRC it was a fixed cost
of £100 each about 3 years ago. They did insist on returning using their own
boxes, which added about £30. No complaints though, superb service.

--
Cheers, Rob

jkn

Dec 7, 2021, 4:06:01 AM12/7/21
Thank you Owain - 'press switch' seems to be the term I was missing.

J^n

Owain Lastname

Dec 7, 2021, 4:08:02 AM12/7/21
On Tuesday, 7 December 2021 at 01:49:13 UTC, Theo wrote:
> The anglepoise lights aren't as astronishingly high as:
> https://www.seriousreaders.com/categories/table-lights
> (I saw that advertised on TV recently and wondered how something that looks
> like it cost £20 from China could be £350

It's advertised in Radio Times.

Things in Radio Times are aimed at well-off older people who don't have the Internet.

Owain

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Dec 7, 2021, 4:21:31 AM12/7/21
They have always been helpful I really many years ago a similar experience.
A lot of new ones seem to have some kind of shrouds around the springs, it
is supposed to stop the twanging noise a bit, Certainly their microphone
holders are good.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Clive Page" <use...@page2.eu> wrote in message

fred

Dec 7, 2021, 5:25:09 AM12/7/21
What ? They still print the Radio Times ?

Richard

Dec 7, 2021, 5:35:41 AM12/7/21
Yeah. They tried supplying blank sheets of paper, but there were no takers.

Peter Johnson

Dec 7, 2021, 10:37:10 AM12/7/21
On 06 Dec 2021 20:36:35 +0000 (GMT), Theo
<theom...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

>The anglepoise lights aren't as astronishingly high as:
>https://www.seriousreaders.com/categories/table-lights
>(I saw that advertised on TV recently and wondered how something that looks
>like it cost £20 from China could be £350, or a hundred quid more for some
>18650s shoved in the base)

I have a couple of their lamps, one floor and one table, that I've had
for 20+ years.
When the integral psu packed up in the floor lamp a few years ago they
offered a 'return to base' 'upgrade to LED' repair for £75, including
carriage both ways. I had already been using cheap LEDs in it for a
year or two. I accepted the offer but declined to buy a second LED
bulb for £20 instead of the normal £30.
The lamp was returned with an external psu and an LED that only lasted
about a year. Searching LED suppliers I found one similar to theirs,
with a good heatsink and higher light output, for about £10 that has
been ok ever since.
Never had any issues with the desk lamp, which runs with the same type
of LED that I put in the floor lamp.
They reckon, incidentally, that the lamps are made to order.

Theo

Dec 7, 2021, 11:42:42 AM12/7/21
Peter Johnson <pe...@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:
> I have a couple of their lamps, one floor and one table, that I've had
> for 20+ years.
> When the integral psu packed up in the floor lamp a few years ago they
> offered a 'return to base' 'upgrade to LED' repair for £75, including
> carriage both ways. I had already been using cheap LEDs in it for a
> year or two. I accepted the offer but declined to buy a second LED
> bulb for £20 instead of the normal £30.
> The lamp was returned with an external psu and an LED that only lasted
> about a year. Searching LED suppliers I found one similar to theirs,
> with a good heatsink and higher light output, for about £10 that has
> been ok ever since.

Interesting. Are they just generic DC bulbs (12V?) then? So this is just a
DC PSU and a normal lampholder, rather than some whizzy specialness?

> Never had any issues with the desk lamp, which runs with the same type
> of LED that I put in the floor lamp.
> They reckon, incidentally, that the lamps are made to order.

Perhaps by screwing together parts from off the shelf. I wonder how much
you have to do to earn a 'made in UK' sticker?

Theo
(who has a rather nice Chinese floor lamp with adjustable colour temperature
COB LEDs, which was £37 from Amazon and probably much less from China)

Owain Lastname

Dec 7, 2021, 12:29:18 PM12/7/21
On Tuesday, 7 December 2021 at 15:37:10 UTC, Peter Johnson wrote:
> They reckon, incidentally, that the lamps are made to order.

which has the advantage of exempting them from the Distance Selling Regulations and the customer's right to return.

Advantage to them, that is.

Owain

Michael Chare

Dec 7, 2021, 5:21:18 PM12/7/21
On 06/12/2021 18:42, Clive Page wrote:
> As an alternative to the frequent complaints here, here's a note of
> recent excellent service:
>
> Can anyone beat that?

A few years ago Britool sent me a spare part for a torque wrench I
bought in 1970 or maybe early 1971. (I then found the little part which
had dropped out!)

Theo

Dec 7, 2021, 5:23:48 PM12/7/21
I'm not sure it does. Picking from a fixed set of options doesn't count as
customisation under the Consumer Rights Act, because they can sell the item
to another person who orders the same set of options (ie it's just a case of
inventory management). Making one to your specific requirements (like
cutting it to length or engraving your name on it) would do, since they
couldn't sell it to another customer (except at a fire sale price).

Theo

Steve Walker

Dec 8, 2021, 5:43:06 AM12/8/21
On 06/12/2021 18:42, Clive Page wrote:
Not free, but ISTR that Morgan Cars can supply spares for any of their
cars and they've been going since about 1910.

Tim Lamb

Dec 8, 2021, 7:23:20 AM12/8/21
In message <soq27m$fuv$1...@dont-email.me>, Steve Walker
<st...@walker-family.me.uk> writes
Hmm.. Not quite. I had to make a chassis for a 1956 series 2 4/4 in
1972 as a replacement was no longer available. The original engine was a
Ford 100E (anglia?) which I upgraded to a Corsair GT! Funny how
insurance companies didn't ask questions:-)
Morgans were always *bitza's* with only the chassis, bodywork, front
suspension and Ash frame coming out of Malvern.
Last time I checked, it was still running round Ipswich.

--
Tim Lamb

Dave W

Dec 18, 2021, 5:47:25 PM12/18/21
On Tue, 7 Dec 2021 02:25:06 -0800 (PST), fred <tpmc...@gmail.com>
wrote:
How else can you find out what's on the radio?
--
Dave W

The Natural Philosopher

Dec 18, 2021, 5:56:58 PM12/18/21
over the air tv/radio guide?
Radio website?

But with the BBC we know what's on. Wall to wall woke propaganda, any
time you turn it on.

Josef Stalin

Rod Speed

Dec 18, 2021, 6:34:06 PM12/18/21
Dave W <dave...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote
Use the internet or the EPG. Tad radical I realise.

Peeler

Dec 19, 2021, 3:52:01 AM12/19/21
On Sun, 19 Dec 2021 10:33:58 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID: <g4t0jt...@mid.individual.net>

Chris Holmes

Dec 31, 2021, 8:02:11 AM12/31/21
<Snip>

Can anyone beat that?

I was given a Millars Falls screwdriver (functionality identical to a
Stanley Yankee screwdriver.)

When I broke it (in the early-ish days of commercial web sites) I contacted
Stanley in the US to ask if they could fix it / supply parts….

A young lady said they would give me a new Yankee screwdriver and bits FOC
if I gave her my address and phone number….

I said “The things you American girls will do to get a guys number” lol

Screwdriver arrived from the US a week or two later.

--
Chris

Dave Plowman (News)

Dec 31, 2021, 9:38:01 AM12/31/21
In article <r6psrg58dlobem177...@4ax.com>,
If you can post here you can look it up online?

--
*Many people quit looking for work when they find a job *

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Max Demian

Dec 31, 2021, 10:04:14 AM12/31/21
> In article <r6psrg58dlobem177...@4ax.com>,
> Dave W <dave...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Tue, 7 Dec 2021 02:25:06 -0800 (PST), fred <tpmc...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> What ? They still print the Radio Times ?
>
>> How else can you find out what's on the radio?
>
> If you can post here you can look it up online?

Much quicker to flip through a magazine than navigate most programme
websites.

--
Max Demian

Dave Plowman (News)

Jan 1, 2022, 7:45:39 AMJan 1
In article <sqn656$17hu$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
I'm sure you stick to Yellow Pages too.

--
*Life is hard; then you nap

Andrew

Jan 1, 2022, 11:39:14 AMJan 1
Almost every Morgan car seems to be different though so that must only
apply to the 3-wheeler with a JAP? m/c engine. The 4 wheel ones have
gone through a number of engine/gearbox combinations etc over the years.

They can supply body parts because they have the jigs and patterns from
decades past (and still used today). Awkward stuff like bakelite
switches, instruments etc are another matter.

Richard

Jan 1, 2022, 3:50:07 PMJan 1
Prick

Animal

Jan 4, 2022, 10:22:09 PMJan 4
On Monday, 6 December 2021 at 18:42:33 UTC, Clive Page wrote:
> As an alternative to the frequent complaints here, here's a note of recent excellent service:
>
> I've had an Anglepoise lamp on my desk for many years. A week ago when I grabbed it a bit roughly, a couple of nylon struts fractured and the lamp collapsed in a heap of springs. A web search for spare parts brought me to anglepoise.com (based in Portsmouth) which showed images of a huge number of their lamps. The best match to mine was said to have been last sold in the late 1960s. It might have been a present from my parents around that time.
>
> I contacted the helpdesk of anglepoise.com and they asked me to email them an image of the broken part. They didn't have an exact replacement, maybe the company has since learned that nylon only lasts a few decades. But they posted me a similar part made of metal that they thought might fit. I found that a combination of the old nylon spacers and the new metal linkage bar works fine. They wouldn't take any payment but I've made a donation to a charity they nominated.
>
> So - excellent service of the kind not often encountered.
>
> Mind you the retail prices of their new lamps are astonishingly high so perhaps they can afford to be generous. But if their free after-sales service lasts for over 50 years that does make a difference. Can anyone beat that?

1930s anglepoises don't suffer from broken plastic bits. Better to buy old.