Gmail query

Scott

Dec 2, 2021, 5:33:26 AM12/2/21
Someone sent me an (important) email to one of my Gmail addresses that
I have not publicised. How did he obtain this? I would like to amend
or delete. Thanks

Martin Brown

Dec 2, 2021, 6:11:51 AM12/2/21
You must have used it to communicate with them at some point.
How else would they know that it was you? gmail is a big place!

Reply asking them to delete that address and substitute whatever address
you would like them to use for important communications in future.

I doubt that they read Usenet.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Scott

Dec 2, 2021, 6:37:29 AM12/2/21
On Thu, 2 Dec 2021 11:11:45 +0000, Martin Brown
<'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:

>On 02/12/2021 10:33, Scott wrote:
>> Someone sent me an (important) email to one of my Gmail addresses that
>> I have not publicised. How did he obtain this? I would like to amend
>> or delete. Thanks
>
>You must have used it to communicate with them at some point.
>How else would they know that it was you? gmail is a big place!

Thanks. I wondered if his GMail could communicate with my GMail if
were were both contacts and we have communicated by text.

>Reply asking them to delete that address and substitute whatever address
>you would like them to use for important communications in future.

Done.

>I doubt that they read Usenet.

For sure.

Martin Brown

Dec 2, 2021, 6:45:15 AM12/2/21
On 02/12/2021 11:37, Scott wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Dec 2021 11:11:45 +0000, Martin Brown
> <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 02/12/2021 10:33, Scott wrote:
>>> Someone sent me an (important) email to one of my Gmail addresses that
>>> I have not publicised. How did he obtain this? I would like to amend
>>> or delete. Thanks
>>
>> You must have used it to communicate with them at some point.
>> How else would they know that it was you? gmail is a big place!
>
> Thanks. I wondered if his GMail could communicate with my GMail if
> were were both contacts and we have communicated by text.

That is probably enough for his gmail client to be able to find your
gmail email address if that phone number is registered to it.

>> Reply asking them to delete that address and substitute whatever address
>> you would like them to use for important communications in future.
>
> Done.
>>
>> I doubt that they read Usenet.
>
> For sure.

My common name meant that in the old days I used to get emails for other
Martin Browns. We would each forward the others mail when this happened
(back in the early Compuserve days there were just 12 of us online
worldwide but that was already enough to sow confusion).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Chris B

Dec 2, 2021, 1:33:18 PM12/2/21
On 02/12/2021 10:33, Scott wrote:
One way that one of my less public addresses "escaped" was when I used
the "share" by gmail link on some item (cant remember what web page or
youtube or similar). For some reason the gmail address opened up by the
share button was one of my less public ones and I did not notice until
after the message had been sent. Hence the recipient got an email from
me from an address they didn't recognise.

--
Chris B (News)

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Dec 3, 2021, 4:18:09 AM12/3/21
Have you read their terms and conditions? Often these issues occur due to
other people who you send email to from that account have your address in
their address book when they reply to you, so when somebody does a reply to
more than one person they us CC instead of bcc and then the other person
also gets your address in their address book, its a bit like a tree with
branches.
Of course if you have e very used that email address to subscribe to
anything at all it can be on many lists due to the net crawling harvesting
that goes on, and indeed the use of cookies beacons and trackers its almost
impossible to keep them secret. I have to say I tend to keep a black list of
people or companies who have don't this and deep 6 any email automatically,
so when they never hear back they eventually get the message.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Martin Brown" <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote in message

Mark Carver

Dec 4, 2021, 10:36:28 AM12/4/21
The most effective way not to let your email address become publicised,
is never to send an email.

Chris Green

Dec 4, 2021, 12:03:06 PM12/4/21
A bit like never telling anyone your phone number, it reduces unwanted
calls but does make your phone rather less useful! :-)

--
Chris Green
·

Brian Gaff

Dec 5, 2021, 6:05:13 AM12/5/21
Yes but of course if its in your address book, say on the Iphone and you
have Alexa, your contacts are shared, if you opt for the ability to allow it
for telephone calls via alexa.
Nothing these days is really private, but then was it ever?
I remember newsgroups like this could be posted to using annon servers who
claimed not to store you original web address or sending email via
mailtonews systems. What happened? The main one in Norway was 'asked' to
provide trace data and were forced to do so and ceased to exist soon
afterwards due to it not being very much good being an annon if it could be
discovered. At the moment I suppose you have what is termed te dark web,
which is in reality a number of web sites and resources which do not have a
domain name or a listing but these need to be altered to stop detection but
most are full of criminals trading stolen credit cards.
Elections are annon you say? Well no they never have been at the start for
some time everyone can be traced, The tracing link info is only destroyed
when it is known that doctoring went on.

There a lot of dishonest people about.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Mark Carver" <mark....@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

Rod Speed

Dec 5, 2021, 10:51:56 AM12/5/21
Brian Gaff <bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote

> Yes but of course if its in your address book, say on the Iphone and you
> have Alexa, your contacts are shared, if you opt for the ability to allow
> it for telephone calls via alexa.

You don’t have to have it in your contacts.

> Nothing these days is really private,

That’s bullshit if you want it to be.

> but then was it ever?

Yep, plenty always was.

> I remember newsgroups like this could be posted to using annon servers
> who claimed not to store you original web address or sending email via
> mailtonews systems. What happened? The main one in Norway was 'asked' to
> provide trace data and were forced to do so and ceased to exist soon
> afterwards due to it not being very much good being an annon if it could
> be discovered.

But those who keep no records cant be forced to disclose that data.

> At the moment I suppose you have what is termed te dark web, which is in
> reality a number of web sites and resources which do not have a domain
> name or a listing but these need to be altered to stop detection but most
> are full of criminals trading stolen credit cards.

> Elections are annon you say? Well no they never have been at the start for
> some time everyone can be traced,

Not those who choose not to be on the electoral role.

> The tracing link info is only destroyed when it is known that doctoring
> went on.

Only the fucked systems have any tracing link.

Ours doesn’t. Ours doesn’t have numbered ballot papers either.

> There a lot of dishonest people about.

> Mark Carver <mark....@invalid.invalid> wrote

Peeler

Dec 5, 2021, 12:03:36 PM12/5/21
On Mon, 6 Dec 2021 02:51:45 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
"Shit you're thick/pathetic excuse for a troll."
MID: <ogoa38$pul$1...@news.mixmin.net>

alan_m

Dec 8, 2021, 5:19:36 PM12/8/21
With emails I have half a dozen active accounts. One account I limit
where it is used so attracts zero spam.

Scott

Dec 9, 2021, 4:27:07 AM12/9/21
On Wed, 8 Dec 2021 22:19:31 +0000, alan_m <ju...@admac.myzen.co.uk>
wrote:

>On 04/12/2021 16:52, Chris Green wrote:
>> Mark Carver <mark....@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> The most effective way not to let your email address become publicised,
>>> is never to send an email.
>>
>> A bit like never telling anyone your phone number, it reduces unwanted
>> calls but does make your phone rather less useful! :-)

Me too, but my concern is if Google automatically disseminates my
GMail address and someone then uses it instead of my preferred are
monitored email addess and I lose track of the email. .

Chris Green

Dec 9, 2021, 6:03:06 AM12/9/21
I find it much simpler to have only one E-Mail address and deal with
the (fairly small) amount of spam that attracts.

--
Chris Green
·

John Rumm

Dec 9, 2021, 2:00:47 PM12/9/21
You can configure gmail to deliver from your own address by default if
you want.

--
Cheers,

John.

Andy Burns

Dec 9, 2021, 2:03:25 PM12/9/21
John Rumm wrote:

> You can configure gmail to deliver from your own address by default if you want.

I thought they switched to some sort of kludgy

"sent by jo...@johns-domain.co.uk on behalf of john...@gmail.com"

John Rumm

Dec 9, 2021, 2:05:27 PM12/9/21
One quirk of gmail addresses you can exploit to create multiple unique
addresses is with the use of dots in the address.

So fredblogs@ and fred.blogs@ and f.red.b.lo.gs@ are all treated by
gmail as the same and delivered to to one mailbox, but to the outside
world will be treated as unique addresses.

John Rumm

Dec 9, 2021, 2:25:47 PM12/9/21
It does not appear to on mine. If you look at the header there is an
X-SPF record that includes a envelope-from= section that identifies the
actual gmail account name, but to a normal reader of the email there is
no obvious indication.

When I look at settings, then go to "see all settings". Accounts and
Import tab, Send mail as: section I have the option to add addresses,
and also set the default address. You need to verify you own the
alternate from address when you add it.

(it might be that the results depend on how you set it up, and perhaps
also on *when* you set it up)

C Mercadal

Dec 9, 2021, 3:12:46 PM12/9/21
On 2021-12-09, John Rumm <see.my.s...@nowhere.null> wrote:
> One quirk of gmail addresses you can exploit to create multiple unique
> addresses is with the use of dots in the address.
>
> So fredblogs@ and fred.blogs@ and f.red.b.lo.gs@ are all treated by
> gmail as the same and delivered to to one mailbox, but to the outside
> world will be treated as unique addresses.

That is a great tip.

Also, for anyone for who runs out of enough permutations of dots,
there's also the + trick:
fredblogs+usenet@
fredblogs+randomOnlineRegistration@
fredblogs+whatever@

Helpful for building unique addresses when registering for
new accounts/etc. online.