Part P over and out ...

14 views
Skip to first unread message

Andy Burns

unread,
Dec 31, 2004, 11:29:06 AM12/31/04
to
I smile in the face of part P!

Today I replaced my 30+ year-old Wylex fusebox with a nice new 12-way MK
split load consumer unit & RCD/MCBs. Initially I wasn't sure there was
going to be enough "slack" at the end of all the circuits but by careful
positioning of the MCBs it turned out fine. Got to re-wire the DC side
of the doorbell with 1mm T+E as it was only using bellwire before, with
the transformer just shoved behind the busbar!

Not even cutting it fine, 9 hours to spare, though it was a bit dingy
connecting up the new meter tails by torchlight ;-)

Anyone else been at it?

Dave Stanton

unread,
Dec 31, 2004, 11:38:28 AM12/31/04
to
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 16:29:06 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

> I smile in the face of part P!

>

> Not even cutting it fine, 9 hours to spare, though it was a bit dingy
> connecting up the new meter tails by torchlight ;-)
>
> Anyone else been at it?

Doing a outside light on Mon for a friend, on going as far as I am
concerned as we have talked about it for months and she now wants it up
pdq. Will be installed to 16th Edition req.

Dave

--

Some people use windows, others have a life.

Andy Burns

unread,
Dec 31, 2004, 11:53:07 AM12/31/04
to
Dave Stanton wrote:

> Doing a outside light on Mon for a friend, on going as far as I am
> concerned as we have talked about it for months

I couldn't find any hard and fast reference to allowing completion of
"in progress" work by April 2005 so decided to have a productive
December 31st for a change.

I suppose I meant ELV instead of DC when referring to the doorbell too.
Anyone got any remedy to suppress the hoarding instinct? I keep thinking
I'll stick the old Wylex in the attic "just in case" :-(

Set Square

unread,
Dec 31, 2004, 11:57:00 AM12/31/04
to
In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
Andy Burns <usenet....@adslpipe.co.uk> wrote:

No, but suppose you had waited until tomorrow, or the next day or
week/month. Who would have been able to prooove when you did it?!
--
Cheers,
Set Square
______
Please reply to newsgroup. Reply address is invalid.


TonyK

unread,
Dec 31, 2004, 12:12:51 PM12/31/04
to

"Andy Burns" <usenet....@adslpipe.co.uk> wrote in message
news:41d57de0$0$16340$ed26...@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net...

Yep, finished off a new cooker, hob & hood plus shaver socket in bathroom
;-)


Andy Burns

unread,
Dec 31, 2004, 12:17:16 PM12/31/04
to
Set Square wrote:

> No, but suppose you had waited until tomorrow, or the next day or
> week/month. Who would have been able to prooove when you did it?!

Surely they imprint timestamps on the photos taken by the black
helicopters? I know what you mean though ...

Dave Plowman (News)

unread,
Dec 31, 2004, 12:11:06 PM12/31/04
to
In article <41d57de0$0$16340$ed26...@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net>,

Andy Burns <usenet....@adslpipe.co.uk> wrote:
> Got to re-wire the DC side of the doorbell with 1mm T+E as it was only
> using bellwire before, with the transformer just shoved behind the
> busbar!

Think 1mm a bit overkill for a doorbell. ;-)

Why wasn't the transformer just mounted externally?

--
*Xerox and Wurlitzer will merge to market reproductive organs.

Dave Plowman da...@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

in2minds

unread,
Dec 31, 2004, 1:01:27 PM12/31/04
to

what's the hurry... I mean, who's going to know anyway ?

I have a cellar to wire, lights and sockets, and an external light but
they won't get done till late January (hopefully sooner)
afterwhich I'll get the BCO out to check the whole job (the cellar
conversion not the electrics), he hasn't been out for a month (and won't
until I ask him) so he won't know when the electrics where done (c;

LJ


Message has been deleted

Andy Burns

unread,
Dec 31, 2004, 1:34:10 PM12/31/04
to
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

> Think 1mm a bit overkill for a doorbell. ;-)

I'm sure! But I've now replaced it with a DIN rail mounted transformer
inside the CU, so the cable out to the bell has to be 240V rated instead
of bell-wire and 1mm is what I've got, at least the part inside the CU
does, but since it's only one floorboard to replace the whole lot ...

> Why wasn't the transformer just mounted externally?

I don't know, it would have been better that just wedging it inside the
fusebox.

Dave Plowman (News)

unread,
Dec 31, 2004, 2:19:31 PM12/31/04
to
In article <41d59b30$0$14575$ed26...@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net>,

Andy Burns <usenet....@adslpipe.co.uk> wrote:
> > Think 1mm a bit overkill for a doorbell. ;-)

> I'm sure! But I've now replaced it with a DIN rail mounted transformer
> inside the CU, so the cable out to the bell has to be 240V rated instead
> of bell-wire and 1mm is what I've got, at least the part inside the CU
> does, but since it's only one floorboard to replace the whole lot ...

I was mainly thinking it might be a bit of a squeeze to fit inside the
push and bell.

But surely you could just have sleeved the bell wire where it passed
through the consumer unit?

--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost? *

Andy Burns

unread,
Dec 31, 2004, 3:21:31 PM12/31/04
to
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

> I was mainly thinking it might be a bit of a squeeze to fit inside the
> push and bell.

I'm only running 10' of 1mm across the hall to the bell, from the bell
to the push can stay as it is ...

> But surely you could just have sleeved the bell wire where it passed
> through the consumer unit?

I thought about that, then thought it'd look a bit "untidy" where the
sleeving ended ...

James Hart

unread,
Dec 31, 2004, 3:21:00 PM12/31/04
to
TonyK wrote:

>> Anyone else been at it?
>
> Yep, finished off a new cooker, hob & hood plus shaver socket in
> bathroom ;-)

That's an interesting bathroom layout......


TonyK

unread,
Dec 31, 2004, 3:47:28 PM12/31/04
to

"James Hart" <ne...@jameshart.co.uk> wrote in message
news:33lqsvF...@individual.net...

It's okay, the hobs not in Zone 1 ;-)


Owain

unread,
Dec 31, 2004, 4:22:55 PM12/31/04
to
"Andy Burns" wrote

| I couldn't find any hard and fast reference to allowing completion of
| "in progress" work by April 2005 ...

| Anyone got any remedy to suppress the hoarding instinct? I keep
| thinking I'll stick the old Wylex in the attic "just in case" :-(

Put it in the garage or shed before midnight. You'll have then 'started' an
installation there and have another three months if you want to rewire the
garage.

Owain


Frank Erskine

unread,
Dec 31, 2004, 6:00:32 PM12/31/04
to

The garage isn't a problem as long as it isn't a dwelling.

(all right, I suppose you could argue that the car might (but it's
very unlikely) dwell there)...

Best wishes to all for 2005.


--
Frank Erskine

Andy Hall

unread,
Dec 31, 2004, 6:12:22 PM12/31/04
to
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 23:00:32 +0000 (UTC), Frank Erskine
<frank....@btinternet.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 21:22:55 -0000, "Owain"
><owain...@stirlingcity.coo.uk> wrote:
>
>>"Andy Burns" wrote
>>| I couldn't find any hard and fast reference to allowing completion of
>>| "in progress" work by April 2005 ...
>>| Anyone got any remedy to suppress the hoarding instinct? I keep
>>| thinking I'll stick the old Wylex in the attic "just in case" :-(
>>
>>Put it in the garage or shed before midnight. You'll have then 'started' an
>>installation there and have another three months if you want to rewire the
>>garage.
>>
>The garage isn't a problem as long as it isn't a dwelling.

I'm afraid that garages and outbuildings are included, Frank, if the
supply is fed from a dwelling.

Take a look at

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2004/20043210.htm

and then Schedule 1 P1 (c)

>
>(all right, I suppose you could argue that the car might (but it's
>very unlikely) dwell there)...
>
>Best wishes to all for 2005.

Happy New Year, also.....

--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Dave Stanton

unread,
Jan 1, 2005, 5:33:02 AM1/1/05
to

He can watch the bacon and eggs while he's showering !!

Owain

unread,
Jan 1, 2005, 9:22:01 AM1/1/05
to
"Dave Stanton" wrote
| James Hart wrote:
| > TonyK wrote:
| >> Yep, finished off a new cooker, hob & hood plus shaver socket in
| >> bathroom ;-)
| > That's an interesting bathroom layout......
| He can watch the bacon and eggs while he's showering !!

Better be careful he doesn't burn his chipolata ...

Owain


Andrew Gabriel

unread,
Jan 1, 2005, 5:53:10 PM1/1/05
to
In article <41d57de0$0$16340$ed26...@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net>,

Replaced my cheap SquareD Quickline no-RCD consumer unit with a nice
industrial Memshield2 CU with separate RCBO protection for each RCD
protected circuit, last Monday. I had bought it a while a go, but
hadn't got a round tuit until now.

Was over at my parents place for New Year, and rewired their under-
cupboard kitchen lights in order to conceal the wiring with about 3
hours to go. Anyone better 3 hours?

--
Andrew Gabriel

Mike

unread,
Jan 1, 2005, 6:20:02 PM1/1/05
to

"Andrew Gabriel" <and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:cr79km$2gi$2...@new-usenet.uk.sun.com...


I bet wives all over the UK are smiling about part P. All those jobs that
have been put off for so long suddenly getting done. They'll be after a
part W for gardening next !!!!! :-)


Andy Hall

unread,
Jan 1, 2005, 6:21:49 PM1/1/05
to
On 1 Jan 2005 22:53:10 GMT, and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

Nah.

The interesting question now is who is going to own up to doing
electrical work with no intention of involving officialdom?

Sort of like a phoney war really.........

Mark

unread,
Jan 1, 2005, 6:36:52 PM1/1/05
to
Andy Hall an...@hall.nospam typed:

>>Anyone better 3 hours?
>
> Nah.
>
> The interesting question now is who is going to own up to doing
> electrical work with no intention of involving officialdom?
>
> Sort of like a phoney war really.........

Me !
Part P is Nanny taking the PISS, a bridge too far for me.!


Lurch

unread,
Jan 1, 2005, 8:31:10 PM1/1/05
to
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 16:29:06 +0000, Andy Burns
<usenet....@adslpipe.co.uk> strung together this:

>I smile in the face of part P!
>

I piss in it's tea!

>Today I replaced my 30+ year-old Wylex fusebox with a nice new 12-way MK
>split load consumer unit & RCD/MCBs. Initially I wasn't sure there was
>going to be enough "slack" at the end of all the circuits but by careful
>positioning of the MCBs it turned out fine. Got to re-wire the DC side
>of the doorbell with 1mm T+E as it was only using bellwire before, with
>the transformer just shoved behind the busbar!
>

You've got a DC bell transformer? Where did that come from?

>Not even cutting it fine, 9 hours to spare, though it was a bit dingy
>connecting up the new meter tails by torchlight ;-)
>

You get used to it, I can do it in the dark!

>Anyone else been at it?

I was working at someones house 1st fixing the extension at about the
time you posted this. I'll also be starting plenty more jobs over the
coming months....
--

SJW
Please reply to group or use 'usenet' in email subject

Andy Burns

unread,
Jan 1, 2005, 8:49:39 PM1/1/05
to
Lurch wrote:

> You've got a DC bell transformer? Where did that come from?

I realised that mistake myself and coughed up to it :-)

> You get used to it, I can do it in the dark!

Can you refit the service fuse blind-folder by touch too? Shudder!

Lurch

unread,
Jan 1, 2005, 10:10:00 PM1/1/05
to
On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 01:49:39 +0000, Andy Burns
<usenet....@adslpipe.co.uk> strung together this:

>Can you refit the service fuse blind-folder by touch too? Shudder!

Yep, it's quite easy to find, I light up when I've found it so I can
see to put the fuse in!

BigWallop

unread,
Jan 1, 2005, 11:54:04 PM1/1/05
to

"Lurch" <theorigi...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
news:jepet05lhso4vd40d...@4ax.com...

> On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 01:49:39 +0000, Andy Burns
> <usenet....@adslpipe.co.uk> strung together this:
>
> >Can you refit the service fuse blind-folder by touch too? Shudder!
>
> Yep, it's quite easy to find, I light up when I've found it so I can
> see to put the fuse in!
>

He's always been a bright spark. :-) It's those glow in the dark fingers
of yours, Lurch.


Lurch

unread,
Jan 2, 2005, 5:21:03 AM1/2/05
to
On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 04:54:04 GMT, "BigWallop"
<spam.guard@_spam_guard.com> strung together this:

>He's always been a bright spark. :-) It's those glow in the dark fingers
>of yours, Lurch.
>

;-)

Don Spumey

unread,
Jan 2, 2005, 7:04:23 AM1/2/05
to
On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 23:21:49 +0000, Andy Hall <an...@hall.nospam>
wrote:


>
>The interesting question now is who is going to own up to doing
>electrical work with no intention of involving officialdom?
>
>Sort of like a phoney war really.........


Who & how are they going to 'police' the new regs anyway?

Will the 'creosote police' be given new powers?

Andy Burns

unread,
Jan 2, 2005, 7:15:33 AM1/2/05
to
Don Spumey wrote:

> Who & how are they going to 'police' the new regs anyway?
> Will the 'creosote police' be given new powers?

Neighbourhood snitch line on 0800 7278 733 :-P

davidr...@postmaster.co.uk

unread,
Jan 4, 2005, 11:46:42 AM1/4/05
to
Andy Burns wrote:
> I smile in the face of part P!

Spit, surely? :-)

> Today I replaced my 30+ year-old Wylex fusebox with a nice new 12-way
MK
> split load consumer unit & RCD/MCBs. Initially I wasn't sure there
was
> going to be enough "slack" at the end of all the circuits but by
careful
> positioning of the MCBs it turned out fine. Got to re-wire the DC
side
> of the doorbell with 1mm T+E as it was only using bellwire before,
with
> the transformer just shoved behind the busbar!
>

> Not even cutting it fine, 9 hours to spare, though it was a bit dingy

> connecting up the new meter tails by torchlight ;-)
>

> Anyone else been at it?

I did a similar job the Thursday before Christmas. I was amazed at how
easy it was, and how long I'd been putting it off! The nice new Wylex
CU was a joy to wire, and pulling the main fuse was a doddle.

Mr Prescott may believe our house was safer with 12 circuits on 6
fuses, inadequate earthing, no RCD protection or interlinked mains
smoke alarms, but I beg to differ!

Cheers,
David.

Andy Burns

unread,
Jan 4, 2005, 5:28:34 PM1/4/05
to
davidr...@postmaster.co.uk wrote:

> I did a similar job the Thursday before Christmas. I was amazed at how
> easy it was, and how long I'd been putting it off!

Same here really, about 3 hours all told could have organised more in
advance, biggest problem was aching knees/back next day from
kneeling/crouching under stairs :-(

> and pulling the main fuse was a doddle.

I asked powergen who said not us, see e.on/Central Networks
I asked e.on/Central Networks who said not us, see powergen
so didn't feel too guilty, bit apprehensive, needn't have worried.

> Mr Prescott may believe our house was safer with 12 circuits on 6
> fuses, inadequate earthing, no RCD protection or interlinked mains
> smoke alarms, but I beg to differ!

I wanted RCD protection and MCBs insteasd of fuses, to separate off most
of kitchen and garage from what was a single ring, separate the
up/downstairs light circuits.

Beyond what I wanted to do I didn't ignore any other requirements I was
aware of so upgraded the tails to 25mm^2, the main earth to 16mm^2 the
earth bonding to 10mm^2, (which also achieved replacing green with
green/yellow) added the "don't remove" signs to the earth and bonding.

Frank Erskine

unread,
Jan 4, 2005, 7:05:58 PM1/4/05
to
On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 22:28:34 +0000, Andy Burns
<usenet....@adslpipe.co.uk> wrote:

>I asked powergen who said not us, see e.on/Central Networks
>I asked e.on/Central Networks who said not us, see powergen
>so didn't feel too guilty, bit apprehensive, needn't have worried.
>

I feel a bit strongly about all this. The people you pay for your
electricity supply should be the ones who take an interest in supply
failures, metering, fusing and so on, but they all simply palm you off
on to your REC, who of course WERE usually your original "leccy
board", supplying and selling power.

Once upon a time, if you wanted a beefier supply to your premises you
would contact your "leccy board". On the grounds that you would likely
be using more electricity they would usually grant your wishes free of
charge. Nowadays, since you're buying your power from somebody
completely different, the REC will charge a "commercial" fee. We're
talking several thousand pounds...

I'm finding this out trying to get a much bigger supply to an amateur
theatre with which I'm involved.

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland

Andy Burns

unread,
Jan 4, 2005, 8:56:25 PM1/4/05
to
Frank Erskine wrote:

> I feel a bit strongly about all this. The people you pay for your
> electricity supply should be the ones who take an interest in supply
> failures, metering, fusing and so on, but they all simply palm you off
> on to your REC

Plenty of people (here, various forums and real life) just say pull the
fuse yourself and get on with it, I thought I'd attempt proper routes first.

Spent ages on phone to supplier getting passed from callcentre to dept
to dept, eventually referred to REC (or whatever the correct term is now)

Tried phoning REC, was referred to their webste, sent them an email,
asking if they would authorise me to do it and then they visit to
re-seal, or quote a price for them to fit an isolator, got no reply for
a week, when I did get a reply it was in the post rather than by email,
please contact your supplier.

So i pulled the fuse myself and got on with it ...

raden

unread,
Jan 5, 2005, 3:43:40 PM1/5/05
to
In message <41d57de0$0$16340$ed26...@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net>, Andy
Burns <usenet....@adslpipe.co.uk> writes

>I smile in the face of part P!
>
>Today I replaced my 30+ year-old Wylex fusebox with a nice new 12-way
>MK split load consumer unit & RCD/MCBs. Initially I wasn't sure there
>was going to be enough "slack" at the end of all the circuits but by
>careful positioning of the MCBs it turned out fine. Got to re-wire the
>DC side of the doorbell with 1mm T+E as it was only using bellwire
>before, with the transformer just shoved behind the busbar!
>
>Not even cutting it fine, 9 hours to spare,

Why, were the Part P Police standing watching you ?

Exactly how many of the general public know or even care about it?

Personally, I've never heard of it

--
geoff

raden

unread,
Jan 5, 2005, 3:47:52 PM1/5/05
to
In message <33lqsvF...@individual.net>, James Hart
<ne...@jameshart.co.uk> writes
Maybe he likes to take loooong baths
--
geoff

raden

unread,
Jan 5, 2005, 4:04:32 PM1/5/05
to
In message <b0cet0t8540fhf7h1...@4ax.com>, Andy Hall
<an...@hall.nospam> writes
Putting it that way indicates a feeling of guilt, which is obviously
lacking in the minds of some of the criminal lawbreakers here

which reminds me ...


--
geoff

raden

unread,
Jan 5, 2005, 4:04:32 PM1/5/05
to
In message <jepet05lhso4vd40d...@4ax.com>, Lurch
<theorigi...@tiscali.co.uk> writes

>On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 01:49:39 +0000, Andy Burns
><usenet....@adslpipe.co.uk> strung together this:
>
>>Can you refit the service fuse blind-folder by touch too? Shudder!
>
>Yep, it's quite easy to find, I light up when I've found it so I can
>see to put the fuse in!

He works by the light of his smouldering hair

--
geoff

Lurch

unread,
Jan 5, 2005, 4:47:38 PM1/5/05
to
On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 20:43:40 GMT, raden <ra...@ntlworld.com> strung
together this:

>Personally, I've never heard of it

Heard of what?

raden

unread,
Jan 6, 2005, 4:24:32 PM1/6/05
to
In message <a3oot0h9viqm7atjh...@4ax.com>, Lurch
<theorigi...@tiscali.co.uk> writes

>On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 20:43:40 GMT, raden <ra...@ntlworld.com> strung
>together this:
>
>>Personally, I've never heard of it
>
>Heard of what?

Sorry, what were we on about ?

--
geoff

Andrew Chesters

unread,
Jan 6, 2005, 4:35:38 PM1/6/05
to
Part P. Someone has missed the point completely!!

Andrew

Andrew Chesters

unread,
Jan 6, 2005, 4:36:52 PM1/6/05
to
and I think it may have been me! :-(

Lurch

unread,
Jan 6, 2005, 6:44:26 PM1/6/05
to
On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 21:36:52 GMT, Andrew Chesters
<andrew.nosp...@ntlworld.com> strung together this:

>and I think it may have been me! :-(

Most definitely. ;-)

raden

unread,
Jan 6, 2005, 7:13:24 PM1/6/05
to
In message <KaiDd.168$PC3...@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net>, Andrew Chesters
<andrew.nosp...@ntlworld.com> writes
Ah,, that's what "P" stands for

--
geoff

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages