Ikea lamp AC adaptor

Timothy Murphy

Nov 5, 2007, 10:49:42 AM11/5/07
I have two Ikea lamps which clamp on shelves,
and which I rather like.
Unfortunately, the AC adaptors on both have stopped working.
(They broke down almost as soon as I got the lights.)
The adaptor gives output as 1580mA at 12v.
I wonder if it is possible to get adaptors like that?

Unfortunately I bought the lamps abroad -
there is no IKEA in Ireland
(though it is supposed to be coming).

[The plug that goes from the lamp into the socket
is rather odd, but I guess one could just cut the wire
and attach a different socket?]

Dave Plowman (News)

Nov 5, 2007, 1:57:27 PM11/5/07
In article <rYGXi.23021$j7.4...@news.indigo.ie>,

Timothy Murphy <t...@birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie> wrote:
> I have two Ikea lamps which clamp on shelves,
> and which I rather like.
> Unfortunately, the AC adaptors on both have stopped working.
> (They broke down almost as soon as I got the lights.)
> The adaptor gives output as 1580mA at 12v.
> I wonder if it is possible to get adaptors like that?

Yes - it should be possible to get a generic type. Maplin, CPC, RS, etc.

> Unfortunately I bought the lamps abroad -
> there is no IKEA in Ireland
> (though it is supposed to be coming).

> [The plug that goes from the lamp into the socket
> is rather odd, but I guess one could just cut the wire
> and attach a different socket?]

Is it a small two pin with one flat and one tiny round pin? If so it's
actually a DIN speaker plug.

--
*A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Skipweasel

Nov 5, 2007, 3:20:50 PM11/5/07
In article <rYGXi.23021$j7.4...@news.indigo.ie>,
t...@birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie says...

> Unfortunately I bought the lamps abroad -
> there is no IKEA in Ireland

You haven't got long to wait...

http://www.furniture.ie/c/ikea/date-set-for-belfast-ikea-opening/
--
Skipweasel.
Never knowingly understood.

Timothy Murphy

Nov 5, 2007, 3:59:20 PM11/5/07
Skipweasel wrote:

> In article <rYGXi.23021$j7.4...@news.indigo.ie>,
> t...@birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie says...
>> Unfortunately I bought the lamps abroad -
>> there is no IKEA in Ireland
>>
> You haven't got long to wait...
>
> http://www.furniture.ie/c/ikea/date-set-for-belfast-ikea-opening/

That's interesting, thanks.
They've been talking about opening in Dublin literally for years;
I think there was some planning problem -
for some reason Ikea's proposed building was considered too large.

However, I'v had the lamps so long,
I'm not sure if they will qualify for a new adaptor,
though there must have been something wrong with the old one.

Timothy Murphy

Nov 5, 2007, 4:01:59 PM11/5/07
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

>> I have two Ikea lamps which clamp on shelves,
>> and which I rather like.
>> Unfortunately, the AC adaptors on both have stopped working.

>> [The plug that goes from the lamp into the socket
>> is rather odd, but I guess one could just cut the wire
>> and attach a different socket?]
>
> Is it a small two pin with one flat and one tiny round pin? If so it's
> actually a DIN speaker plug.

Yes, that's it.
I guess that's not really much use, though,
as I am unlikely to find an adaptor with a DIN socket on it ...

meow...@care2.com

Nov 5, 2007, 6:36:54 PM11/5/07

So you need a 1.5A 12v transformer. Available from any electronic
supplier. I cant imagine why youre unwilling to fit a DIN socket to
its
output lead, but its your choice.

NT

Nov 5, 2007, 7:11:55 PM11/5/07
On 05/11/2007 15:49 Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Unfortunately I bought the lamps abroad -
> there is no IKEA in Ireland
> (though it is supposed to be coming).

My wife and I met a couple of Irish girls on holiday last year who told
us how they flew easyJet to Glasgow and then hired an easyCar to get
them to Ikea where they did their shopping. The total cost, apparently,
wasn't too much, they had made the journey on a number of occasions, and
they got the Ikea items they wanted...

Dave Plowman (News)

Nov 5, 2007, 7:16:24 PM11/5/07
In article <bxLXi.23029$j7.4...@news.indigo.ie>,

Timothy Murphy <t...@birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie> wrote:
> > Is it a small two pin with one flat and one tiny round pin? If so it's
> > actually a DIN speaker plug.

> Yes, that's it.
> I guess that's not really much use, though,
> as I am unlikely to find an adaptor with a DIN socket on it ...

Simple enough matter to solder one on.

--
*Be nice to your kids. They'll choose your nursing home.

Doki

Nov 6, 2007, 2:31:48 AM11/6/07

"F" <ne...@spinningweb.notnet> wrote in message

Fuck me. They must be the luckiest people on earth. Everytime I've gone to
Ikea, they've never had all the stuff I wanted, but the branch a hundred
miles away has, so you end up driving about 200 miles in the god awful quest
to get a chair and a desk. And then when you get home, and something is
missing, or eventually one of the items breaks (it will, it's Ikea stuff),
the stuff that's broken is invariably from both branches, and the most local
branch will insist for at least half an our that they can only accept
returns from their branch, and that no, they don't have the replacement item
in stock, so could you come back another day? And no, they can't drop it in
the post.

My last trip to Ikea had me asking them how on earth they can get tonnes of
furniture from all over the world but can't put something in the post or on
a courier van. When the courier eventually arrived, he told us the entireity
of his work was delivering missing bits from Ikea kits...

Dave Plowman (News)

Nov 6, 2007, 3:18:42 AM11/6/07
In article <oYSdncBnpLENha3a...@eclipse.net.uk>,

Doki <mrd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My last trip to Ikea had me asking them how on earth they can get tonnes
> of furniture from all over the world but can't put something in the
> post or on a courier van. When the courier eventually arrived, he told
> us the entireity of his work was delivering missing bits from Ikea
> kits...

That was my last experience with Ikea - many years ago. I bought a
computer workstation for the workshop - perfect fit for the space
available - made of solid pine and at a price I couldn't have even vaguely
made it for materials only. It had the factory seals on the box, but when
I got it home the keyboard shelf runners were missing.
I went back the next day, which happened to be Saturday, to discover I
had to go to returns to complain - and everyone and his missus was
returning stuff that day. Took most of the morning. Never again.

--
*It's not hard to meet expenses... they're everywhere.

matthew...@gmail.com

Nov 6, 2007, 3:37:55 AM11/6/07
On 6 Nov, 08:18, "Dave Plowman (News)" <d...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <oYSdncBnpLENha3anZ2dneKdnZydn...@eclipse.net.uk>,
> Dave Plowman d...@davenoise.co.uk London SW

> To e-mail, change noise into sound.

I'm sure it will appall many here, but there isn't a room in my house
that doesn't have some Ikea furniture, the oldest items just over 11
years old. They have survived moves between four different houses in
that time (much of the furniture being dismantled on the way and
rebuilt at the other end with the original fittings). I can't recall
a single flat pack that hasn't had the right components inside, and I
think I've only had one instance of damaged goods. Returns have
always been politely (if slightly time consumingly!) accepted. So
whilst some people's experience of Ikea stuff is that it is flimsy and
poorly packaged, that hasn't been my experience!

Matt

Dave Plowman (News)

Nov 6, 2007, 3:59:18 AM11/6/07
In article <1194338275.9...@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com>,

<matthew...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > That was my last experience with Ikea - many years ago. I bought a
> > computer workstation for the workshop - perfect fit for the space
> > available - made of solid pine and at a price I couldn't have even
> > vaguely made it for materials only. It had the factory seals on the
> > box, but when I got it home the keyboard shelf runners were missing.
> > I went back the next day, which happened to be Saturday, to discover I
> > had to go to returns to complain - and everyone and his missus was
> > returning stuff that day. Took most of the morning. Never again.

> I'm sure it will appall many here, but there isn't a room in my house
> that doesn't have some Ikea furniture, the oldest items just over 11
> years old. They have survived moves between four different houses in
> that time (much of the furniture being dismantled on the way and
> rebuilt at the other end with the original fittings). I can't recall
> a single flat pack that hasn't had the right components inside, and I
> think I've only had one instance of damaged goods. Returns have
> always been politely (if slightly time consumingly!) accepted. So
> whilst some people's experience of Ikea stuff is that it is flimsy and
> poorly packaged, that hasn't been my experience!

Oh I've no complaints about the quality - that item and several others
have given sterling service. Just their policy of making you use returns
to sort out their cockups. I simply don't have the patience to queue for
hours for *their* convenience.

--
*Sleep with a photographer and watch things develop

Nov 6, 2007, 6:38:32 AM11/6/07
On 06/11/2007 07:31 Doki wrote:

> Fuck me.

But I hardly know you...

> Everytime I've gone
> to Ikea, they've never had all the stuff I wanted

[snip rant :-)]

Not my experience, but YMMV. Odd times they've not had everything but
that really has been very much the exception.

We've made more than a few returns (they started to recognise me in the
Returns Dept.!) and there has never been a problem. Most were due to a
change of mind when we started to install things and some were well
outside the 90 day return period.

We've got a lot of their furniture in the house and it's all solidly
made at a price that is lower than I could ever had expected. And we
like their designs.

Another plus, you can generally put together, say, a kitchen with a
whole range of accessories and you know they'll fit together unlike
previous experiences where I've had to buy from different
suppliers/manufacturers to get just what I wanted only to find there
were slight 'discrepancies' in sizing.

mogga

Nov 6, 2007, 7:38:00 AM11/6/07

They were going to get one in Stockport but it never happened ...
something about it being too obtrusive for people along the motorway,
like a zillion foot high blue pyramid doesn't do that for most people.
Instead they've put one in Ashton which causes nice tailbacks when
they have the sale on (As it does everywhere there is one I suspect)
and they claim it to be the "Manchester Ikea"
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk

geoff

Nov 6, 2007, 3:16:26 PM11/6/07
In message <13j0khp...@corp.supernews.com>, F
<ne...@spinningweb.notnet> writes

>On 06/11/2007 07:31 Doki wrote:
>
>> Fuck me.
>
>But I hardly know you...
>
>> Everytime I've gone to Ikea, they've never had all the stuff I
>>wanted
>
>[snip rant :-)]
>
>Not my experience, but YMMV. Odd times they've not had everything but
>that really has been very much the exception.

I had a multi-part wardrobe from them last year - what really pissed me
off was that they shipped it knowing that there was a unit missing, and
seemed completely unconcerned about it being an incomplete shipment

Then the missing bits arrived ... damaged (which was obvious without
even opening the packaging)

There seems to be no "buck stops here"

Like the royal mail - which is why I always use couriers now

--
geoff