Aluminium ladders

Matthew Ames

Sep 23, 2007, 12:31:49 PM9/23/07
Any recommendations for websites for purchasing a 2 or 3 section ladder
from? Ideally I am going to need something around the 8-9m length, so I am
guessing it is really going to have to be 3 section.

I have found prices ranging from £140 (domestic use) up to £185
(industrial), with a trade grade in the middle. all inc vat & delivery

Ideally I don't want a really flexiable ladder where I feel unsafe, but I
also don't want to shell out loads of cash for something that I won't use
too often. But I am only 5ft8 so I still need to be able to handle/control
the ladder and not end up smashing my windows! Unfortunately my mates with
ladders all own houses that are less tall and therefore borrowing one has so
far been unsucessful :-(

Cheers,
Matt

A.Lee

Sep 23, 2007, 12:49:42 PM9/23/07
Matthew Ames <no-...@plus.net> wrote:

> Any recommendations for websites for purchasing a 2 or 3 section ladder
> from? Ideally I am going to need something around the 8-9m length, so I am
> guessing it is really going to have to be 3 section.

These are pretty good:
http://www.ladders-999.co.uk/ladders_alloy.htm

I got my scaffold tower off of them, and a roofing company manager I
know also buys all of their ladders from them.
Alan.

Matthew Ames

Sep 23, 2007, 1:00:37 PM9/23/07
"A.Lee" <alan@darkroom.+.com> wrote in message

> These are pretty good:
> http://www.ladders-999.co.uk/ladders_alloy.htm
>
> I got my scaffold tower off of them, and a roofing company manager I
> know also buys all of their ladders from them.

Thanks!

Is there a recommended angle that a ladder should be set to? that way I can
actually work out the lenght I require!

geoff

Sep 23, 2007, 1:56:24 PM9/23/07
In message <13fd57a...@corp.supernews.com>, Matthew Ames
<no-...@plus.net> writes
I bought a good one last year for £127

no website - just a hardware store 10 minutes walk away

(St Albans Road, Watford) - they delivered

--
geoff

John Rumm

Sep 23, 2007, 2:50:35 PM9/23/07
Matthew Ames wrote:

> I have found prices ranging from £140 (domestic use) up to £185
> (industrial), with a trade grade in the middle. all inc vat & delivery

I would steer clear of the domestic ones, they are usually too flimsy
unless you are a fly weight. Trade or industrial to BS EN 131 will feel
far more stable and secure.

> Ideally I don't want a really flexiable ladder where I feel unsafe, but I
> also don't want to shell out loads of cash for something that I won't use
> too often. But I am only 5ft8 so I still need to be able to handle/control
> the ladder and not end up smashing my windows! Unfortunately my mates with
> ladders all own houses that are less tall and therefore borrowing one has so
> far been unsucessful :-(

I have had a couple from Screwfix and have been pleased with them. Not
the cheapest you will find but well made and solid.

The angle to use is about 75 degrees, or 1 unit out for every 4 up. So
for the ladder top to reach 9m, the base would be 2.25 from the wall, so
a ladder length of 10m would do it. If you want to climb onto a surface
at that height, then you need a ladder that will reach at least a meter
past the surface level.

--
Cheers,

John.

gna03633

Sep 23, 2007, 4:40:19 PM9/23/07
http://www.midlandladders.net/
quick delivery and tidy price, gave me a refund for a bracket I bought
which seemed poorly made.

The Medway Handyman

Sep 23, 2007, 4:50:46 PM9/23/07
gna03633 wrote:
>> Any recommendations for websites for purchasing a 2 or 3 section
>> ladder from? Ideally I am going to need something around the 8-9m
>> length, so I am guessing it is really going to have to be 3 section.
>>
>> I have found prices ranging from £140 (domestic use) up to £185
>> (industrial), with a trade grade in the middle. all inc vat &
>> delivery
>>
>> Ideally I don't want a really flexiable ladder where I feel unsafe,
>> but I also don't want to shell out loads of cash for something that I
>> won't use too often. But I am only 5ft8 so I still need to be able
>> to handle/control the ladder and not end up smashing my windows!
>> Unfortunately my mates with ladders all own houses that are less tall
>> and therefore borrowing one has so far been unsucessful :-(

Whatever you do, buy one of these http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/530039

Makes such a difference to the stability of the ladder and avoids those
'brown trouser' feelings.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

nightjar

Sep 24, 2007, 3:57:05 AM9/24/07

"Matthew Ames" <no-...@plus.net> wrote in message

> Any recommendations for websites for purchasing a 2 or 3 section ladder
> from? Ideally I am going to need something around the 8-9m length, so I
> am guessing it is really going to have to be 3 section.
>
> I have found prices ranging from £140 (domestic use) up to £185
> (industrial), with a trade grade in the middle. all inc vat & delivery

How heavy are you? Domestic ladders have a duty rating of 95kgs and maximum
static load of 125kgs. Industrial ladders have a duty rating of 130kgs
/static load 175kgs. As they now meet EU specifications, trade ladders no
longer have a duty rating, but their static load rating is 150kgs. IMO
domestic ladders are too flimsy to be considered.

Colin Bignell

tony sayer

Sep 24, 2007, 4:07:36 AM9/24/07
In article <RZ-dnV1FHs1S8Grb...@giganews.com>, nightjar
<nightjar@?.uk.com> scribeth thus

The domestic ladder is OK for very low heights but one thing overlooked
is the spacing between rungs, these can be further apart on some cheap
ladders which makes them more awkward to use.....
--
Tony Sayer

matthew...@gmail.com

Sep 24, 2007, 4:14:53 AM9/24/07
On 24 Sep, 08:57, "nightjar" <nightjar@<insert my surname

here>.uk.com> wrote:
> How heavy are you? Domestic ladders have a duty rating of 95kgs and maximum
> static load of 125kgs. Industrial ladders have a duty rating of 130kgs
> /static load 175kgs. As they now meet EU specifications, trade ladders no
> longer have a duty rating, but their static load rating is 150kgs. IMO
> domestic ladders are too flimsy to be considered.
>
> Colin Bignell

Odd isn't it that ladders which high street stores are allowed to sell
to people who are less likely to be experienced at climbing ladders,
let alone reviewing duty rating measurements etc, are the lowest rated
and therefore the most dangerous (potentially). I know they don't
have to stand up to the same battering that trade / industrial ones
are likely to receive, but 95kg isn't a particularly heavy chap (in
this day and age), so the amount of domestic ones which are being used
outside of their safe operating range must be large!

Matt

Matthew Ames

Sep 24, 2007, 1:59:58 PM9/24/07
"nightjar .uk.com>" <nightjar@<insert my surname here> wrote in message
> How heavy are you?

69.4kg at the mo, but need to loose a few kg of beer from my belly... :-)

geoff

Sep 24, 2007, 2:54:18 PM9/24/07
In message <13ffuoj...@corp.supernews.com>, Matthew Ames
<no-...@plus.net> writes