Typing in a web forum page -slow down?

Unknown

Sep 27, 2021, 7:02:47 AMSep 27
This problem is only evident on one web site - https://www.diynot.com/

I try to type out a post and there is a variable delay between hitting
a letter and the letter appearing in my intended post. Likewise
schrolling up or down, a delay. The delay can be anything from 0 to 7
seconds between the key and the letter appearing.

Closing Firefox and restarting it, reloads the same tabs. Then my
typing works normally for a while.

I am using Firefox 64 and Win10 64, on a reasonably fast laptop.

Owain Lastname

Sep 27, 2021, 7:08:37 AMSep 27
On Monday, 27 September 2021 at 12:02:47 UTC+1, undefined wrote:
> This problem is only evident on one web site - https://www.diynot.com/

Their website coding. Clearing cache may help.

Moneysavingexpert's new reincarnation used to be like using vecce on a VAX 11/750

Owain

The Natural Philosopher

Sep 27, 2021, 8:25:12 AMSep 27
I get exactly the same on the Daily Express comments site
It is probably an asynchronous Ajax call to some back end web server
blocking the browser screen update. Or even a synchronous one. Firefox
just doesn't deal with whatever it is very well

You are lucky to max out at 7 seconds. I've seen over a minute

--
It is the folly of too many to mistake the echo of a London coffee-house
for the voice of the kingdom.

Jonathan Swift

John Rumm

Sep 27, 2021, 10:17:02 AMSep 27
On 27/09/2021 12:02, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have seen that in FF when it has been open a few days. Restarting it,
then selecting "restore previous session" normally fixes it for me.

--
Cheers,

John.

Unknown

Sep 27, 2021, 11:36:51 AMSep 27
John Rumm explained on 27/09/2021 :
> I have seen that in FF when it has been open a few days. Restarting it, then
> selecting "restore previous session" normally fixes it for me.

I wonder what causes it and only on (I guess) certain web sites?

The Natural Philosopher

Sep 27, 2021, 12:41:17 PMSep 27
What causes it is that some other process grabs or blocks the CPU and
that has to mean JavaScript.

I cant remember whether what happens is the browser blocks waiting for a
remote site to respond or whether it blocks with super high CPU.
Anyway its indicative of the typically shit web design you get from
'frameworks' cobbled together to deliver as many adverts per square inch
from as many diverse sources as possible, using as many 'creatives' as
possible all entirely without involvement of any engineer who actually
knows how to write JavaScript or HTML

In short Websites, By ArtStudents™

--
The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to
rule.

Andrew

Sep 27, 2021, 12:51:59 PMSep 27
> On 27/09/2021 12:02, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
>> This problem is only evident on one web site - https://www.diynot.com/
>>
>> I try to type out a post and there is a variable delay between hitting
>> a letter and the letter appearing in my intended post. Likewise
>> schrolling up or down, a delay. The delay can be anything from 0 to 7
>> seconds between the key and the letter appearing.
>>
>> Closing Firefox and restarting it, reloads the same tabs. Then my
>> typing works normally for a while.
>>
>> I am using Firefox 64 and Win10 64, on a reasonably fast laptop.
>
> I get exactly the same on the Daily Express comments site

ROFL

Graham Harrison

Sep 27, 2021, 3:46:41 PMSep 27
Wow, that takes me back (and doesn't solve your issue). Airline
reservation VDUs used to be totally dumb with 1K screens attached to a
9600 baud line (if you were lucky). You hit a key and the "request"
for that character went upline to a controller (which might be in the
same office but could be several hundred miles away) then back to the
terminal where it was displayed. Most of the time the lag was
miniscule (you couldn't see it) but occasionally you had to wait for
the character to appear on the screen and when you had finally typed
the query the response started scrolling out very slowly across the
screen. Because the VDU was totally dumb turning it off and on didn't
do the trick, you had to do it at the controller end which would be
servicing something like 60 other terminals so you had to warn
everyone else (you could send unsolicited messages from the
controller) that a reset would occur at a specified time.

I once went with a UK system to Australia. We had to use dial ups to
be able to demonstrate it and that went via the hotel switchboard to
the international switchboard then (I think) to a switchboard in
Singapore and so on until it got to our controllers in London. It was
amazing that it worked and typing was generally responsive. When you
finally sent the request to the Qantas machine just down the road in
Sydney(?) the message went through our telephone lash up to our
controllers in the UK then to BOAC in London who used a SITA comms
line back to Sydney then the whole process reversed. The response time
was less than 10 seconds to get back the answer to the query which we
reckoned was good (but not compared to our responses in the UK), the
locals were impressed! The problem was shift change in the various
exchanges. The new operator would go through their plugs listening for
conversations between humans and several times we got cut off in mid
demonstration when all they heard was modem tones, didn't recognise it
and pulled the plug.

Bob Eager

Sep 27, 2021, 4:07:12 PMSep 27
Ha! I have an implementation of ECCE (not VECCE) right here on this PC.

John Brown

Sep 27, 2021, 4:10:46 PMSep 27

"Harry Bloomfield"; "Esq." <a...@harrym1byt.plus.com> wrote in message

Peter Burke

Sep 27, 2021, 4:32:04 PMSep 27
Owain Lastname <spuorg...@gowanhill.com> wrote in

> On Monday, 27 September 2021 at 12:02:47 UTC+1, undefined wrote:
>> This problem is only evident on one web site -
>> https://www.diynot.com/
>
> Their website coding. Clearing cache may help.

Agreed that it is generally inept or intentionally manipulative coding on
the site.

An alternative is to compose replies in a text editor and copy/paste in to
reply window. The freedom from stress outweighs the inconvenience IMV.

Unknown

Sep 27, 2021, 4:57:41 PMSep 27
The Natural Philosopher was thinking very hard :
> I cant remember whether what happens is the browser blocks waiting for a
> remote site to respond or whether it blocks with super high CPU.
> Anyway its indicative of the typically shit web design you get from
> 'frameworks' cobbled together to deliver as many adverts per square inch from
> as many diverse sources as possible, using as many 'creatives' as possible
> all entirely without involvement of any engineer who actually knows how to
> write JavaScript or HTML

I have a FF addon blocking ads, might that be the cause?

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Sep 28, 2021, 3:48:54 AMSep 28
Welcome to my world. One of the main reasons why I use newsgroups is the
variable delay on web based platforms and the completely different
interfaces of every one of them. From my blind aspect using keyboard it is
intensely irritating to use the incorrect key sequence and find your whole
typed message never existed. Bah humbug.

Have you tried different browsers? I find some browsers like the new Edge
are much faster on some online edit fields than firefox are. Reason, your
guess is as good as mine, but probably to do with the efficiency of the
javascript parser and the code of the page.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

The Natural Philosopher

Sep 28, 2021, 10:26:22 AMSep 28
No, it generally helps
Turning off javascript is the answer, but then the site may go unusable

--
“it should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus