EV charger

ARW

Jul 31, 2021, 4:52:24 AM7/31/21
Has that lazy little fucker from work emailed you yet?

--
Adam

ARW

Jul 31, 2021, 4:53:17 AM7/31/21
On 31/07/2021 09:52, ARW wrote:
> Has that lazy little fucker from work emailed you yet?

Sorry that was meant to be an email.

--

Adam

RobH

Jul 31, 2021, 5:27:05 AM7/31/21
Not much difference between an email and a newsgroup eh?

Roland Perry

Jul 31, 2021, 5:27:09 AM7/31/21
In message <se331q$ofe$2...@dont-email.me>, at 09:53:15 on Sat, 31 Jul
2021, ARW <adamwa...@blueyonder.co.uk> remarked:
>On 31/07/2021 09:52, ARW wrote:
>> Has that lazy little fucker from work emailed you yet?
>>
>Sorry that was meant to be an email.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58011014

"Security researchers have discovered failings in two home electric car
chargers.

The researchers were able to make the chargers switch on or off, remove
the owner's access, and show how a hacker could get into a user's home
network."
--
Roland Perry

ARW

Jul 31, 2021, 6:06:49 AM7/31/21
Only a couple of mouse clicks difference.

--

Adam

Richard

Jul 31, 2021, 9:18:14 AM7/31/21
You are fortunate to have only one lazy little fucker.

John Rumm

Jul 31, 2021, 9:27:35 AM7/31/21
On 31/07/2021 10:21, Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <se331q$ofe$2...@dont-email.me>, at 09:53:15 on Sat, 31 Jul
> 2021, ARW <adamwa...@blueyonder.co.uk> remarked:
>> On 31/07/2021 09:52, ARW wrote:
>>> Has that lazy little fucker from work emailed you yet?
>>>
>> Sorry that was meant to be an email.
>
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58011014

Interesting to see a commercial product using a Pi compute module :-)

(one of the researchers arguments on security seeming to be that an
attacker could take the lid off and presumably swap out the Pi for one
of their own).

--
Cheers,

John.

Andrew

Jul 31, 2021, 9:34:56 AM7/31/21
On 31/07/2021 14:27, John Rumm wrote:
> On 31/07/2021 10:21, Roland Perry wrote:
>> In message <se331q$ofe$2...@dont-email.me>, at 09:53:15 on Sat, 31 Jul
>> 2021, ARW <adamwa...@blueyonder.co.uk> remarked:
>>>>
>>> Sorry that was meant to be an email.
>>
>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58011014
>
> Interesting to see a commercial product using a Pi compute module :-)
>
> (one of the researchers arguments on security seeming to be that an
> attacker could take the lid off and presumably swap out the Pi for one
> of their own).

Or simply pinch it ?

Andrew

Jul 31, 2021, 9:36:08 AM7/31/21
He was probably decidely unlazy last night though :-)

John Rumm

Jul 31, 2021, 12:25:15 PM7/31/21
Well yes, but that is perhaps less of a direct access security risk
other than it might be configured with access credentials to the owners
cloud based account that links the charger to the phone etc.

Jim GM4DHJ ...

Jul 31, 2021, 1:14:08 PM7/31/21
On 31/07/2021 09:53, ARW wrote:
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Theo

Jul 31, 2021, 6:17:32 PM7/31/21
John Rumm <see.my.s...@nowhere.null> wrote:
> On 31/07/2021 10:21, Roland Perry wrote:
> > https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58011014
>
> Interesting to see a commercial product using a Pi compute module :-)

The Hypervolt and EO chargers included a fullsize Raspberry Pi :)
https://www.pentestpartners.com/security-blog/smart-car-chargers-plug-n-play-for-hackers/
(a Pi Zero in the case of the EO Mini 2)

Might be nice to have a Pi-powered charger, means you could put custom
firmware on it if you wanted. Although at the end of the day there's
probably not a lot to do with it beyond 'charge when it's cheap' and 'charge
when I have too much PV'. So probably only worth it if you don't trust
their cloud or if they get bored supporting it.

Theo

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Aug 1, 2021, 3:47:47 AM8/1/21
In the Early Amazon Echos there was a hack to update the firmware, but you
still needed a couple of minutes access to the physical device to set it up
to be hacked.

You hear so many badly tested or dodgy software in internet connected
devices these days, that one might have thought they would have been all
over this by now. A couple of years ago a well known companies heat pumps
used for eair conditioning were found to be vulnerable due to poor
protection from discovering their passwords to the wifi etc, which enabled
nasty characters to get into the system generally, Most systems are only as
good as their weakest link.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"John Rumm" <see.my.s...@nowhere.null> wrote in message

bert

Aug 1, 2021, 7:25:21 AM8/1/21
In article <se331q$ofe$2...@dont-email.me>, ARW
<adamwa...@blueyonder.co.uk> writes
Too late. Come on tell us more.
--
bert

ARW

Aug 1, 2021, 10:52:05 AM8/1/21
Office boy is supposed to doing a EV quote for someone.

--

Adam