Platic oil tanksealant

fred

May 23, 2022, 11:25:24 AMMay 23
I wish to insert a new gauge in the top of my plastic domestic oil tank. The existing hole is slightly oversize so what type of sealant would be suitable ?

Brian

May 23, 2022, 11:50:29 AMMay 23
fred <tpmc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I wish to insert a new gauge in the top of my plastic domestic oil tank.
> The existing hole is slightly oversize so what type of sealant would be suitable ?

There is a silicone sealant called Staloc which is oil resistant. It comes
in one of those tubes you use with a ‘gun’ the has a piston which pushes
the base up the tube.

I assume you can still get it - I’ve not seen it for years. A friend used
it on his boat for something while I was there.

fred

May 24, 2022, 5:23:26 AMMay 24
Thanks for the Staloc suggestion. I've had a quick look at their website and it looks promising

Animal

May 25, 2022, 4:31:52 PMMay 25
Do you mean most silicone is not oil resisting?

Fredxx

May 26, 2022, 6:20:21 AMMay 26
I looked this up a while ago, and few materials don't swell or
deteriorate. Silicone was on the list.

If this tank must be oil tight and the hole below the oil level, I would
be using the correct materials. Failure is not an option.

Vir Campestris

May 27, 2022, 4:38:43 PMMay 27
I suspect he only needs to keep the rain out.

Andy

Fredxx

May 27, 2022, 6:20:12 PMMay 27
I missed that, that does change things a little.

Does a double skinned/bunded tank have a double skin on the top section?

Animal

May 27, 2022, 11:11:07 PMMay 27
On Thursday, 26 May 2022 at 11:20:21 UTC+1, Fredxx wrote:
> On 25/05/2022 21:31, Animal wrote:
> >>>
> >> There is a silicone sealant called Staloc which is oil resistant. It comes
> >> in one of those tubes you use with a ‘gun’ the has a piston which pushes
> >> the base up the tube.
> >>
> >> I assume you can still get it - I’ve not seen it for years. A friend used
> >> it on his boat for something while I was there.
> >
> > Do you mean most silicone is not oil resisting?
> I looked this up a while ago, and few materials don't swell or
> deteriorate. Silicone was on the list.

on which list?

> If this tank must be oil tight and the hole below the oil level, I would
> be using the correct materials. Failure is not an option.

It always is :)

Vir Campestris

May 28, 2022, 12:23:08 PMMay 28
On 27/05/2022 23:20, Fredxx wrote:
> Does a double skinned/bunded tank have a double skin on the top section?

Yes... but...

Mine (which is only a couple of years old) has an opening lid on the top
about 40cm across. That's the outer skin. I think the lid would keep
rain out.

The inner one has smaller fittings - a 10cm access lid, a fancy filler
that nobody uses, and fittings for the level gauge.

If his is like mine there's no real need to worry about a tight seal.

(as it happens mine is indoors where the sun and thieves can't get to
it, in its own little room with vents and fire "proof" lining. Which is
why the lock on the lid isn't relevant)

Andy