Chainsaw Oil Replace after 30 days??

Davy

Mar 23, 2009, 6:42:56 AM3/23/09
I have recently bought an AL-KO electric chainsaw for
occasional garden use.
The instructions state that if the saw is not used for 30
days then the chain oil should be drained out of the tank
and replaced with motor oil and the saw run until the
motor oil replaces the chain oil in all the channels.
There is a warning that failure to do this will cause
failure of the oil pump. It does not say whether I can
resuse the drained chain oil.

Because I don't always believe these warnings, I failed to
drain the oil after 40 days of non use and the next time I
used the chainsaw the oil pump was inoperative and
leaking.

Fortunately the pump was replaced under warrentee.

But is it usual to have to drain the oil if not used for
30 days? What if I use the saw for a minute or two and
don't use all the old oil in the reservoir - does the
reservoir still then need to be drained?

If I had known of this time-consumming requirement I
probably would not have bought a chainsaw for occasional
use.

DAvy

ransley

Mar 23, 2009, 7:00:37 AM3/23/09

I never heard of 30 day crap like that

Andy Dingley

Mar 23, 2009, 7:31:51 AM3/23/09
On 23 Mar, 10:42, Davy <m...@removeallthistextchobham.org.uk> wrote:

> Because I don't always believe these warnings, I failed to
> drain the oil after 40 days of non use and the next time I
> used the chainsaw the oil pump was inoperative and
> leaking.
>
> Fortunately the pump was replaced under warrentee.

And you wonder why genuine warranty claims are becoming so awkward,
when they're having to pay out like this after gross operator error?
8-(

> But is it usual to have to drain the oil if not used for
> 30 days?

No, because a half-decent pump will cope.

The reason is that most chainsaw oil is biodegradable. This is for
fluffy anti-pollution reasons, but it's also a good thing because
you'll be breathing in a fair bit of it as an aerosol (try using an
oil with castor oil in it, and then you'll find out what bears do in
the woods!). The trouble is that biodegradable oils with current tech
are hygroscopic and don't store well in corrodable metallic pumps,
which seems to be what has killed yours. Better pump materials (more
expensive to make) aren't affected by the oil, but even then it's good
practice to flush it at the end of a season. Old biodegradable oil
gets a bit treacly after a few months - it might just be that it's too
sticky for a feeble pump to cope with.

Michael Chare

Mar 23, 2009, 10:03:55 AM3/23/09
"Davy" <m...@removeallthistextchobham.org.uk> wrote in message

From the manual of my Stihl petrol chain saw:

"Biological chain oil must be resistant to aging (e.g. Stihl Bioplus) since
it will otherwise quickly turn to resin. This results in hard deposits that
are difficult to remove, especially in the area of the chain drive, clutch
and chain. It may even cause the oil pump to seize"

Frankly it is not an issue that I have paid much attention to! Maybe I
should.

A chain saw is something that I might use once or twice a year.

--
Michael Chare

Grimly Curmudgeon

Mar 23, 2009, 11:57:29 AM3/23/09
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Michael Chare"
<Munders...@chareDOTorg.uk> saying something like:

>From the manual of my Stihl petrol chain saw:
>
>"Biological chain oil must be resistant to aging (e.g. Stihl Bioplus) since
>it will otherwise quickly turn to resin. This results in hard deposits that
>are difficult to remove, especially in the area of the chain drive, clutch
>and chain. It may even cause the oil pump to seize"
>
>Frankly it is not an issue that I have paid much attention to! Maybe I
>should.

Luckily, I still have a few litres of the old nasty stuff left.

andrew

Mar 24, 2009, 6:28:23 PM3/24/09
Andy Dingley wrote:

> Old biodegradable oil
> gets a bit treacly after a few months

Not to mention the mould that grows on any that's exposed, including the
bar. In one instace I had mice chew through the cap and a bit of plastic
casing to get to it!

It's a good reminder to me to replace with mineral oil because I'm not using
mine atm.

AJH

Tim Lamb

Mar 25, 2009, 4:54:50 AM3/25/09
In message <72t545F...@mid.individual.net>, andrew
<ne...@sylva.icuklive.co.uk> writes

I still have that big, dead Oak to take down:-)

A structural engineer is currently working on the design of an internal
supporting frame for the timber barn and I have ambitions to mill the
Oak for wall plates etc.

If it turns out to be unsuitable, the log burner is installed and using
a basket of logs each evening:-)

regards
--
Tim Lamb

Davy

Mar 25, 2009, 1:53:41 PM3/25/09
Davy <m...@removeallthistextchobham.org.uk> wrote in
216.196.109.145:

I've heard that chain oil is recommended cos it is
sticky and wont fly off the blade as easily as motor
oil. But if I am using the chainsaw only about 4 times
a year then oil consumption is not an issue. So what if
I keep the chainsaw filled with (maybe used) motor oil?
Then I wont have a problem with the oil becoming
treacly.
Thoughts?
DAvy

andrew

Mar 25, 2009, 4:05:55 PM3/25/09
Davy wrote:

> So what if
> I keep the chainsaw filled with (maybe used) motor oil?

It's a known carcinogen, implicated in cancer of the scrotum in young garage
mechanics who stuffed their oily rags in their pockets IIRHugeC. some of
the oil is flung off as an aerosol that ends up on trousers and things.

AJH

andrew

Mar 25, 2009, 4:08:16 PM3/25/09
Tim Lamb wrote:

> I still have that big, dead Oak to take down:-)

Why didn't you ask when I had plenty of free time ;-)

> A structural engineer is currently working on the design of an internal
> supporting frame for the timber barn and I have ambitions to mill the
> Oak for wall plates etc.

I thought I reserved the ip on that :-)

> If it turns out to be unsuitable, the log burner is installed and using
> a basket of logs each evening:-)

and this is summertime! Think of the hard work in winter .

AJH

Andy Dingley

Mar 25, 2009, 7:08:14 PM3/25/09
On 25 Mar, 20:05, andrew <n...@sylva.icuklive.co.uk> wrote:

> It's a known carcinogen, implicated in cancer of the scrotum in young garage
> mechanics who stuffed their oily rags in their pockets

It's not so much about where you stick the rags, it's about it being
absorbed anyhow and then excreted in urine. Bladder cancers are high
too. Motor oil isn't actually as bad for this as water-soluble oils
like hydraulic oils and especially metalworking cutting fluids.

Tim Lamb

Mar 25, 2009, 7:12:38 PM3/25/09
In message <72vh9fF...@mid.individual.net>, andrew
<ne...@sylva.icuklive.co.uk> writes

>Tim Lamb wrote:
>
>> I still have that big, dead Oak to take down:-)
>
>Why didn't you ask when I had plenty of free time ;-)

Nice to know you are working. Nothing much is going to happen while I
sort out planning on a change of use.

>> A structural engineer is currently working on the design of an internal
>> supporting frame for the timber barn and I have ambitions to mill the
>> Oak for wall plates etc.
>
>I thought I reserved the ip on that :-)

We can call it the Heggie holder if you like?

>> If it turns out to be unsuitable, the log burner is installed and using
>> a basket of logs each evening:-)
>>

>and this is summertime! Think of the hard work in winter .

I've got a screw splitter so the tractor does the work. Stacking logs is
tedious though.

regards

--
Tim Lamb