Blocking / capping off toilet

gna03633

Sep 1, 2008, 6:43:59 PM9/1/08
I'm in the process of removing an old outside toilet. After removing the
toilet should it be OK to just blocking the hole underneath part of a patio
slab, or should I be blocking it off where it enters the sewer chamber.

The bricks (2 layers) would prevent any rats etc leaving the sewer. If the
sewer chamber backed up it would overflow from the manhole before it hit
the patio.

thanks for any advice

The Medway Handyman

Sep 1, 2008, 7:57:02 PM9/1/08

Last time I did this was 25+ years ago. I stuffed a wad of newspaper well
into the pipe & filled it with concrete. The BCO suggested it. It was
screeded over later.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Calvin

Sep 2, 2008, 2:41:48 AM9/2/08
The Medway Handyman wrote:

That works just fine but look out for the Building Regs rule about not
leaving too long a stub sewer pipe. I can't remember the length
allowed but ISTR there is a limit. The BRs are all available online
so no excuses for not finding out the rules (then breaking them if
appropriate!)

A.Lee

Sep 2, 2008, 2:58:03 AM9/2/08
The Medway Handyman <davi...@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> gna03633 wrote:
> > I'm in the process of removing an old outside toilet. After removing
> > the toilet should it be OK to just blocking the hole underneath part
> > of a patio slab, or should I be blocking it off where it enters the
> > sewer chamber.

> Last time I did this was 25+ years ago. I stuffed a wad of newspaper well
> into the pipe & filled it with concrete. The BCO suggested it. It was
> screeded over later.

That is still the usual thing. I did one in February, and in my
innocence, went to a builders merchants to buy a rubber bung for the
pipe, and although there is one available, they are not used much, as
the pipe is nearly always concreted over, hence the rubber bung is a
waste of money, unless of course, the pipe is likely to be opened up
again, so the rubber bung could be taken out easily.
Alan.

The Medway Handyman

Sep 2, 2008, 3:34:33 PM9/2/08

I think they were on stone tablets when I did mine :-)

gna03633

Sep 3, 2008, 3:17:30 PM9/3/08

Thanks for the advice. I'd read the Part H - Drainage and waste disposal so
was sort of aware of what I need to know from a building regs perspective.
I was interested in what people really did. I'll cap off the top with
bricks with a DPC over (which I need anyway) and aim to brick up the soil
run where it enters the chamber.