Basic Kitchen wall cupboards

Andrew Mawson

Nov 22, 2008, 1:16:57 PM11/22/08
I am looking for a quantity - perhap ten or more - basic kitchen wall
cupboards in plain wipeable white. Size not fixed anything from 600 to
1000 wide and perhaps 600 to 750 high. These are for a workshop to put
behind various machines to keep the tools and accessories specific to
that machine in. It seems the sheds have gone upmarket and plain flat
white cupboards aren't stocked anymore. Any pointers to a source
without going bankrupt????

AWEM

Rod

Nov 22, 2008, 1:57:59 PM11/22/08
Wickes - I think Miami range. Not impressed by the 1000mm unit (a bit
less than 100% rock solid) but the others are possibly suited to your
needs and budget.

--
Rod

onset.
<www.thyromind.info> <www.thyroiduk.org> <www.altsupportthyroid.org>

BigWallop

Nov 22, 2008, 2:02:50 PM11/22/08

"Andrew Mawson" <andrew@no_spam_please_mawson.org.uk> wrote in message

Conti-Plas boards are cheaper to buy than ready made carcasses. All base
and wall units are made to similar basic standard sizes. Make your own
units for half the price of ready made.

Lobster

Nov 22, 2008, 2:08:17 PM11/22/08

You'd certainly find some at Howden's ('Technik' range) if you can blag
your way in (trade only)

David

Roger Mills

Nov 22, 2008, 2:38:45 PM11/22/08

Cheers,
Roger
______
monitored..
Messages sent to it may not be read for several weeks. PLEASE REPLY TO
NEWSGROUP!

Roger Mills

Nov 22, 2008, 2:41:48 PM11/22/08
Andrew Mawson <andrew@no_spam_please_mawson.org.uk> wrote:

Sorry about the blank message - mouse trouble!

I got my cabinets for free from my local Freecycle. Someone was doing up a
house and throwing out the old cabinets. They were in quite good condition,
too - especially after I'd cleaned them up. Certainly good enough for a
garage/workshop.

A.Lee

Nov 22, 2008, 4:04:45 PM11/22/08
BigWallop <spam....@good-spam-guard.com> wrote:

> Conti-Plas boards are cheaper to buy than ready made carcasses. All base
> and wall units are made to similar basic standard sizes. Make your own
> units for half the price of ready made.

I dont think so.
I made a pair of custom kitchen units earlier this year, both were a lot
more expensive (materials) than a complete ready made unit.
If I did it again, I would buy a ready made unit, then cut it down to
size.
Alan.

A.Lee

Nov 22, 2008, 4:08:50 PM11/22/08
Andrew Mawson <andrew@no_spam_please_mawson.org.uk> wrote:

Howdens do a very cheap range - typical 8 units for £199.
They also do 28mm 3 metre worktops at £35.
You must know someone who has an account with them?
Wickes do a similarly priced range, though it may have to be ordered in
store, as they dont often sell them. -
<http://www.wickes.co.uk/Kitchen-Cabinets/Miami/icat/kitmiamiinst>

BigWallop

Nov 22, 2008, 6:06:59 PM11/22/08

"A.Lee" <alan@darkroom.+.com> wrote in message

Really? I built our carcasses out of Conti-Plas board from Bite and Chew.
Cost under a quarter of the price for any of the cheapest units we looked
at. Made all the units to standard sizes so we could afford good timber for
the doors. Just finished the new doors this spring time, and have just
ordered new soft close hinges for them tonight, and the whole kitchen cost
about half the total cost of the PogenPol kitchen we copied. I mean.
Wanted. :-)

Probably having all the right tools to do the job is half the battle, but it
still seems cheaper to make your own carcasses to me.

The Medway Handyman

Nov 23, 2008, 5:35:44 AM11/23/08

I've used the Wickes Miami range before and they are surprisingly good for
the money. 500mm wall unit £26, 1000mm wall unit £34. Not all branches
stock them though, don't know why.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Rod

Nov 23, 2008, 6:11:03 AM11/23/08
Our local branch (High Wycombe) seems to stock them - but don't actually
try to buy. They won't have the one you want, or if they have one, they
won't have the two you need. At the same time, if you can face Slough,
they seemed to have them stacked a mile high in every variant. (This was
true months ago - no idea about current stocks.)

I have to say to BigWallop, I think you'd be pushing it to achieve a
similar level of cupboard for the price by making your own out of
whatever melamine faced chip you can get. Might just about manage on the
flat areas, but by the time you add hinges, screws, glue, handles, etc.
- I doubt it would be worth doing.

(Focus used to do the same basic furniture range including Miami -
though they called it something else. But last I saw, they were
dismantling all kitchen displays. So you might be lucky, more likely not.)

The Medway Handyman

Nov 23, 2008, 6:33:25 AM11/23/08
BigWallop wrote:

> Really? I built our carcasses out of Conti-Plas board from Bite and
> Chew. Cost under a quarter of the price for any of the cheapest units
> we looked at. Made all the units to standard sizes so we could
> afford good timber for the doors. Just finished the new doors this
> spring time, and have just ordered new soft close hinges for them
> tonight, and the whole kitchen cost about half the total cost of the
> PogenPol kitchen we copied. I mean. Wanted. :-)

Yerbut, it don't not work when you compare making your own to buying el
cheapo Wickes jobbies.

For a 1000mm wall unit you would need 2 x 2.4m boards, thats £14, then 2
packs of hinges @ £8, so you are up to £22 already without a back, 2 doors,
2 handles & the adjustable hanging brackets.

Makes sense compared to a Phoggenpohl, but not compared to a £34 complete
1000mm wall unit from Wickes.

Dave Plowman (News)

Nov 23, 2008, 7:36:44 AM11/23/08
In article <uHYVk.91396$E41....@text.news.virginmedia.com>,

BigWallop <spam....@good-spam-guard.com> wrote:
> Conti-Plas boards are cheaper to buy than ready made carcasses. All base
> and wall units are made to similar basic standard sizes. Make your own
> units for half the price of ready made.

My experience is quite the reverse. It's often cheaper to buy an end of
range etc carcass as a source of 'conti-plas'.

--
*Women like silent men; they think they're listening.

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

dennis@home

Nov 23, 2008, 11:27:55 AM11/23/08

"Dave Plowman (News)" <da...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote in message

> In article <uHYVk.91396$E41....@text.news.virginmedia.com>,
> BigWallop <spam....@good-spam-guard.com> wrote:
>> Conti-Plas boards are cheaper to buy than ready made carcasses. All base
>> and wall units are made to similar basic standard sizes. Make your own
>> units for half the price of ready made.
>
> My experience is quite the reverse. It's often cheaper to buy an end of
> range etc carcass as a source of 'conti-plas'.

IME units for a workshop are better made out of wbp ply.

They work out at about £15-£20 each.

Andrew Mawson

Nov 23, 2008, 12:01:45 PM11/23/08

"dennis@home" <den...@killspam.kicks-ass.net> wrote in message

Denis, that is a good idea - I'm not fond of contiplas at the best of
times <g>. I suppose perhaps a wbp carcass for strength with
commercial doors on to make it wipe clean.

AWEM

BigWallop

Nov 23, 2008, 1:56:12 PM11/23/08

"The Medway Handyman" <davi...@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Dave - The Medway Handyman

Yeraknowbut, is the quality there? Not to mention the satisfaction. :-)