OT: When choosing an SSID for your wifi network dont choose..

The Natural Philosopher

Nov 5, 2016, 1:03:47 PM11/5/16
21 Daish...especially in France.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/11/05/french_teen_suspended_sentence_wifi_network/

Harry Bloomfield

Nov 5, 2016, 1:51:42 PM11/5/16
The Natural Philosopher wrote :
'Police Survey 1B'

Is a good one :D

Andy Burns

Nov 5, 2016, 1:57:22 PM11/5/16
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

> 'Police Survey 1B'
> Is a good one :D

I'm tempted by XYZ-district-council-noise-monitoring

Andrew Gabriel

Nov 5, 2016, 7:20:55 PM11/5/16
In article <e86krv...@mid.individual.net>,
Someone I knew had something like 'MI5 Surveillance van 8'

--
Andrew Gabriel

Vir Campestris

Nov 6, 2016, 4:23:01 PM11/6/16
On 05/11/2016 23:20, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
> Someone I knew had something like 'MI5 Surveillance van 8'

I've seen "Unknown network"...

Adrian Caspersz

Nov 7, 2016, 8:29:22 AM11/7/16
Best to choose something very common, than one unique to yourself.

NETGEAR is a good choice (but not, if really a netgear).

--
Adrian C

dennis@home

Nov 7, 2016, 8:35:36 AM11/7/16
Doesn't help much unless you change the MAC address too as its easy to
identify the real manufacturer from the MAC address in most cases.
Network scanners tell you the make from just looking a a packet.

The Natural Philosopher

Nov 7, 2016, 8:42:50 AM11/7/16
BT Wifi with FON....

Adrian Caspersz

Nov 7, 2016, 9:04:36 AM11/7/16
True, but the target is not your router. It's you.

--
Adrian C

bert

Nov 7, 2016, 4:45:37 PM11/7/16
In article <nvlpfp$on0$1...@dont-email.me>, Andrew Gabriel
<and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk> writes
>In article <e86krv...@mid.individual.net>,
> Andy Burns <use...@andyburns.uk> writes:
>> Harry Bloomfield wrote:
>>
>>> 'Police Survey 1B'
>>> Is a good one :D
>>
>> I'm tempted by XYZ-district-council-noise-monitoring
>
>Someone I knew had something like 'MI5 Surveillance van 8'

Which sounds like a bit of a challenge.
--
bert

Harry Bloomfield

Nov 8, 2016, 12:09:16 PM11/8/16
on 07/11/2016, The Natural Philosopher supposed :
> BT Wifi with FON....

That is one which often shows up here. It shows as open, but with no
internet connection. What are they?

Andy Burns

Nov 8, 2016, 12:15:04 PM11/8/16
It piggy-backs on the broadband connection of anyone using BT Broadband
(retail), unless they've opted out. If you're not a BT retail customer,
you'll see it (no authentication) but won't be able to use it.

The Natural Philosopher

Nov 8, 2016, 12:27:18 PM11/8/16
That's BTs public wifi. Basically BT installs broadband in your house
and for a reduction, allows others to access it using some code.

If you are on one of BTs packages you can access it yourself on a
roaming basis

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10992/~/what-is-btwifi-with-fon%3F

The Natural Philosopher

Nov 8, 2016, 1:05:31 PM11/8/16
On 08/11/16 16:31, Tim Streater wrote:
> In article <e8efgk...@mid.individual.net>, Andy Burns
> Piss-poor idea.

Well that depends. It means BT customers can roam freely and have access
to wifi almost everywhere.

It means other people can use your broadband and slow it down

Harry Bloomfield

Nov 8, 2016, 3:36:49 PM11/8/16
Andy Burns presented the following explanation :
Thanks, that makes sense..

Dave Liquorice

Nov 8, 2016, 5:37:17 PM11/8/16
On Tue, 8 Nov 2016 18:05:36 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

>>> It piggy-backs on the broadband connection of anyone using BT
>>> Broadband (retail), unless they've opted out. If you're not a BT
>>> retail customer, you'll see it (no authentication) but won't be
able
>>> to use it.

FON is a seperate global system, You can(could?) buy a Fonera that
also shared a bit of your bandwidth with otheres and provided that
was live you could access any other FON hotspot around the world
including those hosted by BT hubs. A Fonera was a one off payment of
about £30, it was never really pushed in the UK and BT would quite
like to bury it to drive customers to them.

>> Piss-poor idea.
>>
> Well that depends. It means BT customers can roam freely and have access
> to wifi almost everywhere.

These days almost anywhere that you are likely to want to use WiFi
already has it.

> It means other people can use your broadband and slow it down

Other poeple don't get very much 512 kbps springs to mind.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Andy Burns

Nov 8, 2016, 5:50:24 PM11/8/16
Dave Liquorice wrote:

> FON is a seperate global system, You can(could?) buy a Fonera

I think you can still buy them outside the UK.

Chris Green

Nov 9, 2016, 4:03:04 AM11/9/16
If you try really hard you can probably buy one here still. I bought
mine 2014 and even then it was quite difficult.

FON works very well for me, occasionally in the UK but more often and
usefully in France where it is provided by SFR.

--
Chris Green
·

Dave W

Nov 10, 2016, 5:56:35 AM11/10/16

"Harry Bloomfield" <harry...@NOSPAM.tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
If you're not a BT customer, you can use it, but only after paying for time
when their interception page appears. I think the cheapest rate is £5 for
one hour, and a sliding scale for longer periods. BT customers key in a
password and get it free. Data rate is low.
--
Dave W

Graeme

Nov 10, 2016, 6:23:48 AM11/10/16
In message <o01jp0$kqt$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Dave W <dave...@yahoo.co.uk>
writes

<BT wifi with FON>

>If you're not a BT customer, you can use it, but only after paying for time
>when their interception page appears. I think the cheapest rate is £5 for
>one hour, and a sliding scale for longer periods. BT customers key in a
>password and get it free. Data rate is low.

I used it a few months ago, when staying at my mother's flat. I think
it was about 17 pounds for three days. It worked, up to a point. I was
outside a town centre, so not many access points, and connection
depended, obviously, on the router in question being connected, and
having a connection. Both were variable.

Data rate was certainly not high, but more than adequate for receiving
e-mail and general browsing. Would I use it again? Well, yes, given
the limited choices available. I would hate to live with it longer term,
though. There were times when I just could not get a stable connection,
but when I did, it was acceptable.

One interesting point was a three day pass did not have to be three
consecutive days, although each day was a 24 hour block, so you can't
just use a few hours one day then carry over the remaining hours.

--
Graeme