B&D 400H-H15 - R.I.P.

Michael Kilpatrick

Sep 28, 2021, 8:56:22 AMSep 28
Gosh, my Black & Decker 400H-H15 drill has finally given up the ghost.
My father passed it on to me at least 20 years ago and I don't know how
old it was then. I think the switch has died but I doubt I can
replace/repair that now.

It was getting stiff and clunky the other day when I was drilling 67mm
holes for the kitchen downlights. I was just about to mix some
self-levelling compound for the shed floor using the mixing paddle bit I
bought, when I found it didn't work at all after plugging it in and the
switch is rock hard to press in.

It's so old it was actually made in the UK.

Who makes good quality drills these days? A make for which I can buy a
decent drill stand too (not some cheap crap that wafts around in the
wind like a reed).

I'm almost tempted to buy a replacement "vintage" drill, I must say. I'm
not sure what value is being applied to the word "vintage" here - for my
saxophones that tends to imply something before World War II.

Michael

Nick Odell

Sep 28, 2021, 9:37:45 AMSep 28
My sympathy: I'm still using a Made in England B&D D720 which I must
have bought around 1975 so I feel your loss.

Mine's something of a Trigger's drill having had many brush
replacements and I even replaced the main bearings once, after
over-enthusiastic use with a plunge router attachment made them too
wobbly.

I think I may have replaced the switch once. I definitely replaced the
switch lock button after that disintegrated and flew away everywhere.
I turned a new one from a scrap of an old plastic toothbrush handle
(using the drill in the bench stand and switching it on and off from
the wall IIRC) and I used an old biro spring to replace the missing
one.

A quick look at Google suggests that it is still possible to buy the
same type of switch so maybe it isn't quite time for your 400H to go
to the great workshop in the sky?

Nick

Michael Kilpatrick

Sep 28, 2021, 9:53:48 AMSep 28
On 28/09/2021 14:37, Nick Odell wrote:

> I think I may have replaced the switch once. I definitely replaced the
> switch lock button after that disintegrated and flew away everywhere.
> I turned a new one from a scrap of an old plastic toothbrush handle
> (using the drill in the bench stand and switching it on and off from
> the wall IIRC) and I used an old biro spring to replace the missing
> one.
>
> A quick look at Google suggests that it is still possible to buy the
> same type of switch so maybe it isn't quite time for your 400H to go
> to the great workshop in the sky?

At a cursory glance I can't see anything that looks like a direct
replacement and it's hard to say whether any similar switch would either
fit or be correct. I'm not sure I want to hunt around for too long.

I see that people on Ebay sell the old B&D drills and indeed the bench
stands - there are loads on there right now. Do those things (e.g the
model 992891) fit a whole host of different B&D models? I'm pretty sure
that's exactly the bench stand my father had and maybe still has (they
are visiting family in Scotland and Northumberland now so I can't easily
ask).

Michael

Nick Odell

Sep 28, 2021, 10:08:26 AMSep 28
My bench stand and the pillar drill conversion both locate in the
drill from two of the cheesehead screws at the front (holding the
gearbox onto the motor housing) and a recess at the back which
receives a screwed rod with a lock nut. I guess your drill has the
same features so that type of stand ought to be universal for the old
B&D range.

Oh. One other thing I did once was to clean out all the dried-up,
hardened grease in the gearbox and replace it with new. It ran much
better after that.

Nick

The Natural Philosopher

Sep 28, 2021, 10:29:10 AMSep 28
On 28/09/2021 13:56, Michael Kilpatrick wrote:
> Who makes good quality drills these days? A make for which I can buy a
> decent drill stand too (not some cheap crap that wafts around in the
> wind like a reed).

Avoid German makes.

I've actually got a de Walt drill which isn't bad. Makita is what most
of my other kit is, and they are solid and dependable.

--
"First, find out who are the people you can not criticise. They are your
oppressors."

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Sep 29, 2021, 3:41:02 AMSep 29
Have you taken the handle apart? It could be just simply seized with crap.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Michael Kilpatrick" <ne...@mkilpatrick.co.uk> wrote in message

Chris Bacon

Sep 29, 2021, 6:18:16 AMSep 29
On 28/09/2021 13:56, Michael Kilpatrick wrote:
> Who makes good quality drills these days? A make for which I can buy a
> decent drill stand too (not some cheap crap that wafts around in the
> wind like a reed).

You will almost certainly buy something made in China. Just ensure that
the spec is up to scratch. £.

newshound

Sep 29, 2021, 7:42:47 AMSep 29
IME both the old (two nicks for the screws) and even the new (collar
fitting) B&D bench stands were pretty inadequate compared to a cheap
chinese "proper" bench drill.

I still have a Quattro from the 70's as a backup for a more chunky
Ryobi, but I have not used it for 20 years or more. But I did replace
the B&D switch without any problem.

newshound

Sep 29, 2021, 7:47:26 AMSep 29
The other question is whether it will get heavy use. I reckon Aldi/Lidl
stuff is OK for light domestic use. Personally I would go for a
cordless, with a separate mains drill press.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/energer-enb672dbt-290mm-electric-pillar-drill-230-240v/1009j

The Natural Philosopher

Sep 29, 2021, 8:24:07 AMSep 29
Perfect for drilling through a brick wall

I have a mains drill for heavy work. For the odd one off I use cheapo
cordless screwdriver

Andrew

Sep 30, 2021, 11:43:38 AMSep 30
On 28/09/2021 13:56, Michael Kilpatrick wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284453184932?hash=item423abb25a4:g:RkIAAOSwA~phQjYY

This one looks like it has been unused for ages and kept somewhere
damp. Despite the rust the description says "pre-owned item In very
good, clean, used working condition". LIke hell it is, but if unused
then the switch might be fine.