bloody firefox

Jim Stewart ...

Mar 19, 2022, 3:21:51 AM3/19/22
why does firefox want to keep upgrade every five minutes...firefox used
to be nice and simple with none of this stupid upgrading....looks to be
too bloted now what with pocket and loads of other crap....

Anonymous

Mar 19, 2022, 5:45:10 AM3/19/22
Its freeware.. since you sponge off our back who actually work.
So all the kiddie fiddling sites you jerk off every day are getting
more of your action?
All those fellow ukrainians who are coming here to sponge off us,
parasites!!
ukraine is well known for its pedo culture, so that explains your
support for them.

We will kill tham on sight!!

Paul

Mar 19, 2022, 6:42:09 AM3/19/22
On 3/19/2022 3:21 AM, Jim Stewart ... wrote:
> why does firefox want to keep upgrade every five minutes...firefox used to be nice and simple with none of this stupid upgrading....looks to be too bloted now what with pocket and loads of other crap....

It uses .mar files for incremental updates.

If you haven't used a computer for six months,
it may download three update files. It's too stupid
to just pick the last one and use it. It uses
some smaller ones first, then perhaps a larger .mar
file to do the job.

This can make it seem like it is endlessly updating,
but it will eventually stop.

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/97.0.1/update/win64/en-GB/

Type Name Size Last Modified
Dir ..
File firefox-95.0.2-97.0.1.partial.mar 17MB 16-Feb-2022 22:37
File firefox-96.0.1-97.0.1.partial.mar 11MB 16-Feb-2022 22:37
File firefox-96.0.2-97.0.1.partial.mar 11MB 16-Feb-2022 22:37
File firefox-96.0.3-97.0.1.partial.mar 11MB 16-Feb-2022 22:37
File firefox-97.0-97.0.1.partial.mar 6MB 16-Feb-2022 22:37
File firefox-97.0.1.complete.mar 57MB 16-Feb-2022 22:37

Whereas these are ordinary installers. Notice how the installer
is smaller than a "complete MAR".

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/97.0.1/win64/en-GB/

File Firefox Setup 97.0.1.exe 53MB 16-Feb-2022 22:40
File Firefox Setup 97.0.1.msi 53MB 16-Feb-2022 22:40

Paul

John Rumm

Mar 19, 2022, 7:22:31 AM3/19/22
On 19/03/2022 07:21, Jim Stewart ... wrote:

> why does firefox want to keep upgrade every five minutes...

Because it is an actively developed and maintained bit of software.
Count yourself lucky!

Look at the about menu and it will give you a link to the release notes:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/98.0/releasenotes/

Which includes security fixes for these vulnerabilities:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/advisories/mfsa2022-10/

> firefox used
> to be nice and simple

If you can call a program with a complete development tree of over
300,000 files spread over 20,000 directories "simple"!

> with none of this stupid upgrading....looks to be
> too bloted now what with pocket and loads of other crap....

If you hanker for lack of compatibility with modern web standards and
yearn for some "better" security vulnerabilities, then download an old
version:

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

Mar 19, 2022, 7:36:20 AM3/19/22
Also keep in mind that Jim is a cheapskate, and so probably has Noah's
cast off computer which takes a while :-)

Jim Stewart ...

Mar 19, 2022, 8:35:26 AM3/19/22
I'm cheap

Jim Stewart ...

Mar 19, 2022, 8:39:16 AM3/19/22
On 19/03/2022 11:22, John Rumm wrote:
> On 19/03/2022 07:21, Jim Stewart ... wrote:
>
>> why does firefox want to keep upgrade every five minutes...
>
> Because it is an actively developed and maintained bit of software.
> Count yourself lucky!
>
> Look at the about menu and it will give you a link to the release notes:
>
> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/98.0/releasenotes/
>
> Which includes security fixes for these vulnerabilities:
>
> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/advisories/mfsa2022-10/
>
>> firefox used to be nice and simple
>
> If you can call a program with a complete development tree of over
> 300,000 files spread over 20,000 directories "simple"!

I don't give a shit about the technicalities....just want it to work and
stop updating

>> with none of this stupid upgrading....looks to be too bloted now what
>> with pocket and loads of other crap....
>
> If you hanker for lack of compatibility with modern web standards and
> yearn for some "better" security vulnerabilities, then download an old
> version:

I would use my three XP machines,,,,

JNugent

Mar 19, 2022, 10:21:30 AM3/19/22
I don't mind upgrades to Firefox (I only use it for certain tasks).

But I am constantly avoiding upgrades to Thunderbird.

I'm still using version 60.6.1 (32 bit) which allows adjustment of the
tool bars and buttons. When I "upgraded", losing the "next" and
"previous" button options was too much.

Jeff Layman

Mar 19, 2022, 10:41:46 AM3/19/22
The "next" and "previous" buttons can be put on the toolbar. Just right
click on the menu bar, left click on "Customize", and drag the "next"
and "previous" icons to the menu bar.

--

Jeff

JNugent

Mar 19, 2022, 11:12:55 AM3/19/22
Saved.

I had tried all that, but perhaps the fault has now been fixed.

Rod Speed

Mar 19, 2022, 3:26:22 PM3/19/22
Jim Stewart ... <kinvig...@ntlworld.com> wrote
> John Rumm wrote
>> Paul wrote
And worthless.

Peeler

Mar 19, 2022, 3:40:58 PM3/19/22
On Sun, 20 Mar 2022 06:26:15 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

gfre...@aol.com addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You on the other hand are a heavyweight bullshitter who demonstrates
his particular prowess at it every day."
MID: <rufg9ep6ggjdt3uek...@4ax.com>

rick

May 17, 2022, 6:59:54 AM5/17/22
On 19/03/2022 07:21, Jim Stewart ... wrote:
I used it for years but it became too slow ... swapped to Chrome, much
faster

Andrew

May 17, 2022, 10:31:55 AM5/17/22
I have set Firefox to simply show a drop down box informing me of an
update. I ignore them for a while until other people have done their
testing.

Tim Lamb

May 17, 2022, 10:42:26 AM5/17/22
In message <t5vv76$i0r$2...@gioia.aioe.org>, rick
<rick_hughes@_remove_btconnect.com> writes
Maybe my W7 but Firefox has just gone through a *connection to printer
issue*.
Worse than that.. a re-install has introduced a flock of unwanted
adverts from Google!

--
Tim Lamb