Varifocal lenses

fred

Dec 6, 2021, 8:55:50 AM12/6/21
Is there a limit to the size, top to bottom, of varifocal lenses. What is the max size available ?

Tricky Dicky

Dec 6, 2021, 10:17:38 AM12/6/21
On Monday, December 6, 2021 at 1:55:50 PM UTC, fred wrote:
> Is there a limit to the size, top to bottom, of varifocal lenses. What is the max size available ?

Don”t know about a maximum size I do know there is a minimum limit as happened to me when I wanted some nice slim ones only to be told it was not possible. As far as the maximum there may not be a limit just think of snooker player Denis Taylor and his special glasses.

Richard

newshound

Dec 6, 2021, 10:41:57 AM12/6/21
On 06/12/2021 13:55, fred wrote:
> Is there a limit to the size, top to bottom, of varifocal lenses. What is the max size available ?

I suspect there is a standard size for the round commercial blanks. I am
fairly sure they are less than 75mm.

R D S

Dec 6, 2021, 10:57:39 AM12/6/21
On 06/12/2021 13:55, fred wrote:
> Is there a limit to the size, top to bottom, of varifocal lenses. What is the max size available ?

Varifocals come in a variety of corridor length, you can get quite
shallow ones but the limits of a more shallow lens should be obvious.
The longer corridor ones will require you to rotate your eyeballs
further than you might like to read anything.

In my experience a frame 30-odd mm in depth with with pupils 2-3mm above
vertical centre and a medium corridor varifocal provide best results.

ARW

Dec 6, 2021, 8:22:47 PM12/6/21
I believe Taylor's were special as the varifocal lenses were upside down
so that he viewed close up objects by looking up through the top of them.

--

Adam

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Dec 7, 2021, 4:16:35 AM12/7/21
By size what exactly do you mean? I think that there is a finite spread of
the correction you can have in them, before things get far too distorted to
be of much use to the brain. My lat father had some and still needed reading
glasses.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"fred" <tpmc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

fred

Dec 7, 2021, 5:20:25 AM12/7/21
I have always preferred frames which perched low on the nose allowed me to look over the top of the frames, essentially for long distance viewing. Trouble with that is that it places the varifocal lens in the wrong position for computer use. The lenses are about 32 x 60 (Its hard to read a tape meaure without glasses). I just wondered would an increase of the 32mm dimension allow better use of the vaeifocal element. At presnt I need to tilt my head for best computer screen viewing or keep pushing the glasses up my nose.

I also have a pair of reading glasses for reading in bed, especially a Kindle. As I dont sit up to read the varifocals were not the best for this job.

NY

Dec 7, 2021, 5:57:35 AM12/7/21
> I have always preferred frames which perched low on the nose allowed me to
> look over the top of the frames, essentially for long distance viewing.
> Trouble with that is that it places the varifocal lens in the wrong
> position for computer use. The lenses are about 32 x 60 (Its hard to read
> a tape meaure without glasses). I just wondered would an increase of the
> 32mm dimension allow better use of the vaeifocal element. At presnt I need
> to tilt my head for best computer screen viewing or keep pushing the
> glasses up my nose.
>
> I also have a pair of reading glasses for reading in bed, especially a
> Kindle. As I dont sit up to read the varifocals were not the best for this
> job.

Which grade of varifocals did you go for? When I was offered VFs by
SpecSavers, I opted for a middle-of-the-road grade of lens: the better the
gradation from one focal length to the other across the surface of the lens,
the better the image.

I found that my eyes/brain couldn't get used to VFs at all. I gave them a
full week's trial before reporting back that I was seeing slanted verticals
which changed direction depending on which way I moved my head: rectangles
changed into parallelograms. It was *very* disconcerting and didn't improve
over time.

Specsavers re-tested my eyes and checked the exact dimensions/spacing of my
eyes to make sure that the centre of each lens exactly matched the position
of the pupil. But still the same symptom. They said that they'd never had
the symptom reported, and were most interested in the sketches that I drew
of what the effect looked like - the optician said that she was going to
report it to the opticians' community to see if anyone else had ever had it
reported to them by a patient.

So they offered me two separate pairs of glasses - distant and reading - for
the same price. Ironically, as I've got older, my need for distance glasses
has diminished to the extent that my distance glasses have no discernable
effect, but I need stronger and stronger reading glasses. When I first got
reading glasses about 10 years ago, I had to take them off to read the
computer screen but needed them for reading a book. Now it's a struggle to
read print on a computer screen even though it's further away. I really need
to go back and have my eyes tested again because my present reading glasses
may need a stronger prescription again.

I know what you mean about having glasses perched on the end of your nose so
you can see over them for looking into the distance. Perhaps I ought to have
some of those really naff half-moon glasses like my old headmaster used to
have ;-)

Dave Plowman (News)

Dec 7, 2021, 9:08:44 AM12/7/21
In article <solr7k$i10$1...@dont-email.me>,
Were they Varifocals - or simply frames that allowed him to see the pocket
when looking straight at the ball?

Most frame are more designed to allow you to look down - to read etc -
rather than up.

--
*Marriage changes passion - suddenly you're in bed with a relative*

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Michael Chare

Dec 7, 2021, 11:04:06 AM12/7/21
When I first got varifocals I did not like driving through narrow gaps
whilst wearing them. Then I went on holiday to the USA and frequently
had to change glasses to look at the map and phone GPS. I got fed up
having to do that and tried just using the varifocals as the roads are
quite wide. I got so used to that when I got home I was able to continue
to just use varifocals to drive. These days I keep them on all the time
so don't lose them, unlike SWMBO who takes hers off much of the time and
then can't find them.

The lenses I use are not very big and I can see over the top if I really
want. I originally got glasses just to drive, so that I could be sure of
clearly seeing something like a cyclist in the dark. These days I need
them for seeing anything close to me. Working on the car can be awkward
if I have to twist my head and still have to look at an extremet angle.

John Rumm

Dec 7, 2021, 1:17:37 PM12/7/21
> In article <solr7k$i10$1...@dont-email.me>,
> ARW <adamwa...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> Don•t know about a maximum size I do know there is a minimum limit as
>>> happened to me when I wanted some nice slim ones only to be told it
>>> was not possible. As far as the maximum there may not be a limit just
>>> think of snooker player Denis Taylor and his special glasses.
>>>

>> I believe Taylor's were special as the varifocal lenses were upside down
>> so that he viewed close up objects by looking up through the top of
>> them.
>
> Were they Varifocals - or simply frames that allowed him to see the pocket
> when looking straight at the ball?
>
> Most frame are more designed to allow you to look down - to read etc -
> rather than up.

As I find to my cost when wiring things up at ceiling level, unless I
remember to take a pair of reading glasses with me!

--
Cheers,

John.

ARW

Dec 7, 2021, 1:44:11 PM12/7/21
> In article <solr7k$i10$1...@dont-email.me>,
> ARW <adamwa...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> Don•t know about a maximum size I do know there is a minimum limit as
>>> happened to me when I wanted some nice slim ones only to be told it
>>> was not possible. As far as the maximum there may not be a limit just
>>> think of snooker player Denis Taylor and his special glasses.
>>>

>> I believe Taylor's were special as the varifocal lenses were upside down
>> so that he viewed close up objects by looking up through the top of
>> them.
>
> Were they Varifocals - or simply frames that allowed him to see the pocket
> when looking straight at the ball?
>
> Most frame are more designed to allow you to look down - to read etc -
> rather than up.

Maybe RDS knows. He did my varifocals and did mention upside down ones
for my work with lights at height.

I actually was fine with what I was prescribed.

The polarised sunglasses RDS provided are of course are a nightmare on a
FIAT Scudo dashboard as FIAT have a polarised dashboard screen at 45
degrees to his glasses.

The sunglasses work fine in the Skoda, Maserati and VH Viva that I have
also driven.

I don't think the Viva has a polarised dashboard screen:-)

--

Adam

--

Adam

fred

Dec 8, 2021, 7:20:55 AM12/8/21
I think I got the best ones. Its been some time

I use the reading glasses only for bedtime use, Kindle etc. They are useless for reading elsewhere as in bed I lie down flat and hold the book on my chest. They wouldn't work with a computer screen for me.

I at one time used to use a very expensive optician, but went off him big time when he started discussing his helicopter and saloon car racer, apart from which I never found his glasses very good. Problems with using a computer screen etc. I switched to Specsavers and never had any more problems

I have no problem with distance viewing with my varifocals except when they get dirty but I still peek over the top of them

Originally I wore 1/2 frame glasses when I only need in them for reading

newshound

Dec 8, 2021, 8:56:30 AM12/8/21
On 07/12/2021 18:17, John Rumm wrote:
> On 07/12/2021 14:04, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
>> In article <solr7k$i10$1...@dont-email.me>,
>>     ARW <adamwa...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>>> I believe Taylor's were special as the varifocal lenses were upside down
>>> so that he viewed close up objects by looking up through the top of
>>> them.
>>
>> Were they Varifocals - or simply frames that allowed him to see the
>> pocket
>> when looking straight at the ball?
>>
>> Most frame are more designed to allow you to look down - to read etc -
>> rather than up.
>
> As I find to my cost when wiring things up at ceiling level, unless I
> remember to take a pair of reading glasses with me!

I take my varifocals off; and then of course get plaster dust in my eyes.

newshound

Dec 8, 2021, 8:57:52 AM12/8/21
On 07/12/2021 18:44, ARW wrote:

> The sunglasses work fine in the Skoda, Maserati and VH Viva that I have
> also driven.

Yeah, my other car is a Porsche etc

:-)

John Rumm

Dec 8, 2021, 9:21:52 AM12/8/21
I have long sight and astigmatism, so I get a small blurred image along
with the plaster dust!

Dave Plowman (News)

Dec 8, 2021, 11:08:52 AM12/8/21
In article <j1bvap...@mid.individual.net>,
Tim Streater <timst...@greenbee.net> wrote:
> On 08 Dec 2021 at 13:56:26 GMT, newshound <sradcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> As I find to my cost when wiring things up at ceiling level, unless I
> >> remember to take a pair of reading glasses with me!
> >>
> > I take my varifocals off; and then of course get plaster dust in my eyes.

> SWMBO has just got varifocal contact lenses; we'll see how that goes.

I tried them years ago and didn't get on with them. But to me the whole
idea of contact lenses is normal vision where possible. Just like an older
person with perfect eyesight who needs reading specs through age.

A pal has one lens for reading, the other for distance. All depends what
suits you.

--
*No sentence fragments *

ARW

Dec 8, 2021, 2:17:09 PM12/8/21
The Skoda is mine, the Maserati is my MD's and the VH Viva is my mates
restoration project.

Only one of them does 50MPG.

--

Adam

Jeff Layman

Dec 9, 2021, 3:22:17 AM12/9/21
On 08/12/2021 19:17, ARW wrote:
> On 08/12/2021 13:57, newshound wrote:
>> On 07/12/2021 18:44, ARW wrote:
>>
>>> The sunglasses work fine in the Skoda, Maserati and VH Viva that I
>>> have also driven.
>>
>> Yeah, my other car is a Porsche etc
>>
>> :-)
>

> The Skoda is mine, the Maserati is my MD's and the VH Viva is my mates
> restoration project

Where does he store the tanks of rust remover? (My first car was an HB.
I know all there is to know about rust!)

What is a "VH" Viva?

--

Jeff

The Natural Philosopher

Dec 9, 2021, 4:31:41 AM12/9/21
Vox Haul?

foolish, and by the rulers as useful.

(Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)

Jeff Layman

Dec 9, 2021, 11:56:18 AM12/9/21
> On 09/12/2021 08:22, Jeff Layman wrote:
>> On 08/12/2021 19:17, ARW wrote:

>>> The Skoda is mine, the Maserati is my MD's and the VH Viva is my mates
>>> restoration project
>>
>> Where does he store the tanks of rust remover? (My first car was an HB.
>> I know all there is to know about rust!)
>>
>> What is a "VH" Viva?
>>
> Vox Haul?

I didn't even think of that! Is "VH" a common abbreviation for Vauxhall
for restoration enthusiasts?

--

Jeff

The Natural Philosopher

Dec 9, 2021, 1:17:40 PM12/9/21
No idea. But I have fond memories of a Vauxhall FB Viva. 1256 cc or
some such,. Nice clean decent little car that morphed into the Opel
kadett before being replaced with an FWD monstrosity - the Astra.

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly

The Other John

Dec 9, 2021, 2:31:11 PM12/9/21
On Thu, 09 Dec 2021 18:17:34 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

> But I have fond memories of a Vauxhall FB Viva. 1256 cc or some such,.
> Nice clean decent little car that morphed into the Opel kadett before
> being replaced with an FWD monstrosity - the Astra.

I had a Vauxhall Viva SL90, the so-called sporty version because it had a
Solex (I think) carburettor with a rubber diaphragm, which was fine till
the rubber perforated! DAMHIK!

--
TOJ

The Natural Philosopher

Dec 9, 2021, 2:43:43 PM12/9/21
Yep. Solex. I had a mate who fixed cars and he got one which was
unreliable. turned out the fuel pump had siezed and worn the camshaft
that drove it flat. So added weld and ground it down to a decent profile.

I drive it for a few weeks - could fling it round corners pretty well.

--
The New Left are the people they warned you about.

charles

Dec 9, 2021, 3:15:04 PM12/9/21
In article <sotlhr$7nc$2...@dont-email.me>,
I had a work coleague who bought a Viva SL. Very worried about how much
the insurance would be , he asked his broker if he knew what SL stood for.
"Yes, pSeudo Luxurious" waa the reply.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

ARW

Dec 9, 2021, 4:29:44 PM12/9/21
> On 09/12/2021 16:56, Jeff Layman wrote:

> No idea.  But I have fond memories of a Vauxhall FB Viva. 1256 cc or
> some such,. Nice clean decent little car that morphed into the Opel
> kadett before being replaced with an FWD monstrosity - the Astra.

FWD my arse.

Cars have never been the same since FWD became the norm.

--

Adam

Tim+

Dec 10, 2021, 5:19:26 AM12/10/21
Tim Streater <timst...@greenbee.net> wrote:
> Indeed. It became possible to do nice handbrake skids, such as in a carpark
> covered with say 3 inches of snow. Get some speed up, spin the steering wheel
> to a full extent and yank the handbrake. Great fun.

That’s a lot more to do with having a rear wheel handbrake than FWD or RWD.
I’ve done plenty of handbrake turns in FWD cars.

Electric handbrakes have spoiled that fun now though… :-(

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

John Rumm

Dec 10, 2021, 11:23:49 AM12/10/21
I had a car with a front wheel handbrake. That always used to confuse
them at MoT time on the rolling road doing the front brake test. "Leave
the engine running, and put the handbrake on" - car promptly leaps out
of the rollers!

Dave Plowman (News)

Dec 10, 2021, 11:45:15 AM12/10/21
In article <sovuuh$vo6$1...@dont-email.me>,
John Rumm <see.my.s...@nowhere.null> wrote:
> I had a car with a front wheel handbrake. That always used to confuse
> them at MoT time on the rolling road doing the front brake test. "Leave
> the engine running, and put the handbrake on" - car promptly leaps out
> of the rollers!

The funniest one was Rolls Royce made up until the Shadow, when they
changed to disc brakes.

The drum brakes on those before didn't have a direct connection between
pedal and master cylinders. The master cylinders were operated by a
mechanical servo driven by the prop shaft. So unless the rear wheels were
turning, no front brakes at all. The rear drums had a mechanical
connection to the pedal, though - shared with the handbrake.

So at MOT time, they had to do a road test with a Tapley meter to check
the brakes.

Even more fun seeing a novice mechanic trying to bleed the brakes.

--
*You are validating my inherent mistrust of strangers

newshound

Dec 10, 2021, 12:13:47 PM12/10/21

> No idea.  But I have fond memories of a Vauxhall FB Viva. 1256 cc or
> some such,. Nice clean decent little car that morphed into the Opel
> kadett before being replaced with an FWD monstrosity - the Astra.

Hmmm. Recall changing gear for my MIL after a clutch cable failure,
driving from the centre of Bradford up to the edge of town. She wasn't
sufficiently attuned to doing that herself (and I only had a motorbike
license at the time).

newshound

Dec 10, 2021, 12:17:35 PM12/10/21
Yeah, I recall a lad at my school doing a complete back axle change on
an Austin 7 in the 90 minute lunch break, after getting a couple of
people to help him roll it onto its side. (State grammar school, but
smart enough area in the 60's for them to have a student vehicle car
park at the back of the sports fields. Mostly motorbikes, but half a
dozen or so cars too).

Tim+

Dec 10, 2021, 4:43:24 PM12/10/21
John Rumm <see.my.s...@nowhere.null> wrote:
> On 10/12/2021 10:19, Tim+ wrote:
>> Tim Streater <timst...@greenbee.net> wrote:

>>> Indeed. It became possible to do nice handbrake skids, such as in a carpark
>>> covered with say 3 inches of snow. Get some speed up, spin the steering wheel
>>> to a full extent and yank the handbrake. Great fun.
>>>

>> That’s a lot more to do with having a rear wheel handbrake than FWD or RWD.
>> I’ve done plenty of handbrake turns in FWD cars.
>>
>> Electric handbrakes have spoiled that fun now though… :-(
>
> I had a car with a front wheel handbrake.

Vague recollection that my wife’s Citroen ZX had a front wheel handbrake.
I seem to recall issues with it losing grip after application if applied
when brakes hot.

NY

Dec 10, 2021, 4:50:54 PM12/10/21
"Tim+" <tim.d...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I had a car with a front wheel handbrake.
>
> Vague recollection that my wife’s Citroen ZX had a front wheel handbrake.
> I seem to recall issues with it losing grip after application if applied
> when brakes hot.

There is a lot to be said for a car that has the handbrake on the wheels
which aren't driven. That way if you need to jack the car up to change a
wheel, you can brake the wheels which are at the opposite end of the car,
either with the handbrake or by putting the car in gear or in park. On a RWD
car with rear handbrake, you've no way of stopping the front wheels from
moving; conversely for FWD car with front handbrake (as for Citroen).

Being able to brake the wheel that has the puncture is useful for those
people who raise the wheel and *then* try to loosen the wheel-nuts which
tends to rotate the wheel. I always loosen the nuts/bolts 1/2 turn while the
wheel is on the ground, then raise it and loosen the nuts fully once the
initial full-strength torque has been overcome - but lots of people don't
know that trick.

Tim+

Dec 10, 2021, 4:57:57 PM12/10/21
I’ll wager that everyone *our age* knows that trick. Most younger folk
wouldn’t even attempt to change a wheel.

newshound

Dec 10, 2021, 5:06:30 PM12/10/21
On 10/12/2021 21:43, Tim+ wrote:

>> I had a car with a front wheel handbrake.
>
> Vague recollection that my wife’s Citroen ZX had a front wheel handbrake.
> I seem to recall issues with it losing grip after application if applied
> when brakes hot.
>
> Tim

Same with the CX (and, I think, ID and DS)

Fredxx

Dec 10, 2021, 5:33:48 PM12/10/21
Even I have been know to call a rescue service through not having a
wheel-brace. Most seem to make the call as a matter of course.

Dave Plowman (News)

Dec 11, 2021, 7:15:34 AM12/11/21
In article <sp0kk8$s9q$2...@dont-email.me>,
Fredxx <fre...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> Even I have been know to call a rescue service through not having a
> wheel-brace. Most seem to make the call as a matter of course.

My car hasn't got a jack or wheel brace. Or spare wheel. Bottle of gunge
and a compressor. Which would be no use with a wrecked tyre.

--
*Dance like nobody's watching.