Speedfit for Gas

Owain Lastname

Oct 2, 2022, 9:20:46 AM10/2/22
I wouldn't normally repost from Twitter but thought some people would like this one.

https://twitter.com/Depheruk/status/1576281813173305344

It's Speedfit plastic pipe and fittings used for mains gas.

Owain

SH

Oct 2, 2022, 11:10:57 AM10/2/22
I once came across a GasSafe fitter who fitted some new gas pipe from
the gas meter to the kitchen to feed both a boiler and a cooker.

This involved 25mm tube which then split to 2 x 22 mm to the cooker and
the new boiler.

He then used two speedfit stop ends to leak test the newly fitted gas pipe.

Once he was satisfied it was gas tight, he then removed the two speedfit
stop ends and connected up the cooker and the new boiler!

John Rumm

Oct 2, 2022, 12:35:11 PM10/2/22
On 02/10/2022 14:20, Owain Lastname wrote:
I wonder if the "rouge builder" is red faced now :-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Owain Lastname

Oct 2, 2022, 2:23:26 PM10/2/22
On Sunday, 2 October 2022 at 17:35:11 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
> I wonder if the "rouge builder" is red faced now :-)

He will be if he ends up in goal.

Owain

Rob Morley

Oct 2, 2022, 8:17:03 PM10/2/22
On Sun, 2 Oct 2022 11:23:24 -0700 (PDT)
Owain Lastname <spuorg...@gowanhill.com> wrote:

> He will be if he ends up in goal.

Oh well played sir.

Brian Gaff

Oct 3, 2022, 4:28:38 AM10/3/22
As a matter of interest, not having gas, since I declined it when the new
pipes were being put in, how do they fix to the yellow pipes of plastic they
push through the old iron ones inside the house for existing systems and
meters?
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Owain Lastname" <spuorg...@gowanhill.com> wrote in message

Owain Lastname

Oct 3, 2022, 4:34:40 AM10/3/22
On Monday, 3 October 2022 at 09:28:38 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
> As a matter of interest, not having gas, since I declined it when the new
> pipes were being put in, how do they fix to the yellow pipes of plastic they
> push through the old iron ones inside the house for existing systems and
> meters?

Plastic is allowed outside underground; they convert to steel pipe at ground level. Some form of compression fitting I think.

Owain

SH

Oct 3, 2022, 4:38:53 AM10/3/22
On 03/10/2022 09:28, Brian Gaff wrote:
> As a matter of interest, not having gas, since I declined it when the new
> pipes were being put in, how do they fix to the yellow pipes of plastic they
> push through the old iron ones inside the house for existing systems and
> meters?
> Brian

high frequency frictional heating or electrofusion

Andy Burns

Oct 3, 2022, 5:23:41 AM10/3/22
Brian Gaff wrote:

> As a matter of interest, not having gas, since I declined it when the new
> pipes were being put in, how do they fix to the yellow pipes of plastic they
> push through the old iron ones inside the house for existing systems and
> meters?

At the meter end, they fit a special adapter, this tightens over the old iron
pipe, allows the narrower plastic pipe to run through it, then the shut-off
valve is fitted to that. The adapter has a nipple to allow injection of a
foam/resin to fill the space around the plastic pipe.

You don't actually see the plastic pipe emerge anywhere, just the iron pipe,
various brass adapters and the valve then the anaconda or whatever where it goes
to the regulator/meter, looks a bit ugly compared to a normal meter connection.

Andrew

Oct 3, 2022, 12:04:43 PM10/3/22
On 02/10/2022 17:35, John Rumm wrote:
> On 02/10/2022 14:20, Owain Lastname wrote:
>> I wouldn't normally repost from Twitter but thought some people would
>> like this one.
>>
>> https://twitter.com/Depheruk/status/1576281813173305344
>>
>> It's Speedfit plastic pipe and fittings used for mains gas.
>
> I wonder if the "rouge builder" is red faced now :-)

Could be a red Indian ?.

The cat looking shocked is 'red'(-ish), can we blame him ?.

Andrew

Oct 3, 2022, 12:07:11 PM10/3/22
But if there is a 90 degree bend in the iron pipe, there is no way
that 25mm yellow plastic will go round the bend.

Andy Burns

Oct 3, 2022, 12:24:09 PM10/3/22
Andrew wrote:

> if there is a 90 degree bend in the iron pipe, there is no way
> that 25mm yellow plastic will go round the bend.

The inner pipe is 17.5mm, it seems it can cope with swept bends, but not elbows.

<https://www.stevevick.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Gas-Service-Insertion-6pp-2017.pdf>

Andy Burns

Oct 18, 2022, 6:16:58 AM10/18/22
Andy Burns wrote:

> At the meter end, they fit a special adapter, this tightens over the old iron
> pipe, allows the narrower plastic pipe to run through it, then the shut-off
> valve is fitted to that.  The adapter has a nipple to allow injection of a
> foam/resin to fill the space around the plastic pipe.
>
> You don't actually see the plastic pipe emerge anywhere, just the iron pipe,
> various brass adapters and the valve then the anaconda or whatever where it goes
> to the regulator/meter, looks a bit ugly compared to a normal meter connection.

I remembered to take a photo at my parents' house when I popped-in for meter
readings ...

<http://andyburns.uk/misc/relined-gas-service.jpg>

alan_m

Oct 18, 2022, 9:02:27 PM10/18/22
http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/gas_meter/

This is what they did in my mother's house a few months back. The gas
main in the street was lined (a new build estate in the 1960s). The pipe
from the main to everyone's house was replaced with yellow MDPE and in
my mothers case the meter was re-positioned just inside the front of the
garage. The bit of yellow pipe that came out of the ground appears to be
sleeved and then straight through the wall (photo 2)

I believe they used a mole of some kind to get the pipe across the
driveway from the trench they dug in the pavement. There ws no visible
disturbance to block driveway or evidence to any repairs apart from that
tiny bit of concrete seen in photo 2.

In photo 1 that bend in the output pipe from the meter was to clear a
existing tap positioned above the new meter position. It would have
taken them all of 10 minutes to move the tap to avoid any water dripping
on the meter. I spent the 10 minutes moving the tap a bit later. The
tap is attached to plant watering timer which drips slightly when
switched on and approx and inch of water had to be emptied every 6
months from a bucket previously positioned to catch the drips.

Tim+

Oct 19, 2022, 2:53:07 AM10/19/22
alan_m <ju...@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On 18/10/2022 11:16, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Andy Burns wrote:
>>
>>> At the meter end, they fit a special adapter, this tightens over the
>>> old iron pipe, allows the narrower plastic pipe to run through it,
>>> then the shut-off valve is fitted to that.  The adapter has a nipple
>>> to allow injection of a foam/resin to fill the space around the
>>> plastic pipe.
>>>
>>> You don't actually see the plastic pipe emerge anywhere, just the iron
>>> pipe, various brass adapters and the valve then the anaconda or
>>> whatever where it goes to the regulator/meter, looks a bit ugly
>>> compared to a normal meter connection.
>>
>> I remembered to take a photo at my parents' house when I popped-in for
>> meter readings ...
>>
>> <http://andyburns.uk/misc/relined-gas-service.jpg>
>>

> http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/gas_meter/
>
> This is what they did in my mother's house a few months back. The gas
> main in the street was lined (a new build estate in the 1960s). The pipe
> from the main to everyone's house was replaced with yellow MDPE and in
> my mothers case the meter was re-positioned just inside the front of the
> garage. The bit of yellow pipe that came out of the ground appears to be
> sleeved and then straight through the wall (photo 2)

I suspect that the plastic pipe must end outside the property. The yellow
plastic you see in the garage is just being used to sleeve an iron or
copper pipe.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Andy Burns

Oct 19, 2022, 3:19:53 AM10/19/22
alan_m wrote:

> <http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/gas_meter>
> This is what they did in my mother's house a few months back.

I net she loves bending down to read the meter?

alan_m

Oct 19, 2022, 4:00:58 AM10/19/22
On reflection, probably yes - the yellow MDPE wouldn't be able to bend
at 90 degrees that sharply. The short vertical fitment on the outside of
the garage is probably a transitional fitment.

alan_m

Oct 19, 2022, 4:17:08 AM10/19/22
My brother does the readings but he is coming up to retirement age :)
The electricity meter is the other extreme, mounted high up on the wall
at the back of the garage and behind a (slowly diminishing) mountain of
junk :)

Despite being given regular meter readings Scottish Power wanted to
raise my mother's DD to an amount that would probably have put her close
to £1k in credit at the end of the winter months (based on last year's
consumption figures). This proposed rise in DD payment was after the
Truss announcement on the price caps and before the U turn on what will
happen after April.

SH

Oct 19, 2022, 4:18:29 AM10/19/22
is this property two flats as I can see two sets of what appears to be
yellow pipe transiting through the garage wall?

charles

Oct 19, 2022, 5:15:12 AM10/19/22
In article <jr9p5k...@mid.individual.net>, alan_m
That's what mine has. 20+ years old.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té

Harry Bloomfield Esq

Oct 19, 2022, 7:01:15 AM10/19/22
On 19/10/2022 02:02, alan_m wrote:
> I believe they used a mole of some kind to get the pipe across the
> driveway from the trench they dug in the pavement. There ws no visible
> disturbance to block driveway or evidence to any repairs apart from that
> tiny bit of concrete seen in photo 2.

When they replaced our rusting old gas main, running along the back
gardens, they opted to run the new along the road at the front of the
houses. Along the road, they dug holes every 20 to 30 feet, for the
moleing, then up the drives they reduced the spacing to around 15 feet
between holes. I had three such holes in my drive, to get the pipe to my
meter, which is alongside my drive.

alan_m

Oct 19, 2022, 10:11:05 AM10/19/22
Two semi detached properties. The second pipe is for next door.

John J

Oct 20, 2022, 5:23:09 AM10/20/22
I like the bite marks from the fitters stilsons 😎

rick

Oct 29, 2022, 1:42:43 PM10/29/22
Don't see anything wrong with that as not leaving it there in service,
much the same as connecting a manometer with rubber pipe - its just for
test.

Chris Green

Oct 29, 2022, 2:33:06 PM10/29/22
I have to say that was my reaction as well. If it's leak tight with
his temporary set up then it will be leakproof with 'proper'
connections.

--
Chris Green
·

Tim+

Oct 29, 2022, 3:00:59 PM10/29/22
No, because he hasn’t tested the boiler and the cooker connections.

Dave Plowman (News)

Oct 30, 2022, 11:02:09 AM10/30/22
In article <jr9q3u...@mid.individual.net>,
alan_m <ju...@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> My brother does the readings but he is coming up to retirement age :)
> The electricity meter is the other extreme, mounted high up on the wall
> at the back of the garage and behind a (slowly diminishing) mountain of
> junk :)

My electric meter easy. Gas one in the cellar and mounted side on - so you
have to reach over to read it, and need a torch. And likely get dirty in
the process.

So decided to change to smart. So even if the company couldn't get a
reading due to a connection problem, I could easily on the IHD.

SMS chap who came to change them didn't. Said the gas one was too awkward,
and he'd need help. Also said not enough room for the smart electric one -
so left having done nothing.

Booked a second appointment. That chap changed them both quickly and
without comment.

--
*Husband and cat lost -- reward for cat

To e-mail, change noise into sound.