Timber yards

R D S

May 18, 2022, 9:09:10 AM5/18/22
FFS.
I find a timber yard within reasonable traveling distance that has the
skirting/architrave I want in wood (i'm oiling it, not painting). And
they cut. Bold claims on their website about how well they store their
wood and how much of it they have.
So I get on their website to order for collection, as i'm adding pieces
the cart is just totaling them up in length so i'm plainly going to get
it in lengths that won't go in the car.
So I phone them, they do cut but only on Saturday.
I rock up with my saw, i'm passed from pillar to post because nobody has
heard of lamb's tongue skirting, eventually find it, they've a handful
of tatty/dirty lengths no two even similar in colour.
Total waste of time.

This is why painted torus is so fekking popular then I take it?

Recently I wanted a plain internal door. Phoned a place and was told
they always have them in stock. Got there, told them what I wanted,
someone spoke into a radio and someone else brought me a door.
Great I said and gave it my son to put on the car roof. The guy was
looking at us like we'd gone off so I asked if he was OK.
Is that the door you want?, he asked.
If it's x by y then yes, I said.
I don't know he said, I was just showing you a door, and went for a
tape, it wasn't the size I wanted and they didn't have that size and had
no idea when they might.
Total waste of time.

I could go on, what is wrong with these places?

GB

May 19, 2022, 7:27:46 AM5/19/22
On 18/05/2022 14:09, R D S wrote:
> FFS.
> I find a timber yard within reasonable traveling distance that has the
> skirting/architrave I want in wood (i'm oiling it, not painting). And
> they cut. Bold claims on their website about how well they store their
> wood and how much of it they have.
> So I get on their website to order for collection, as i'm adding pieces
> the cart is just totaling them up in length so i'm plainly going to get
> it in lengths that won't go in the car.
> So I phone them, they do cut but only on Saturday.
> I rock up with my saw, i'm passed from pillar to post because nobody has
> heard of lamb's tongue skirting, eventually find it, they've a handful
> of tatty/dirty lengths no two even similar in colour.
> Total waste of time.
>
> This is why painted torus is so fekking popular then I take it?

I ordered some timber for use as a skirting from B&Q for collection. The
stuff they gave me was twisted, bowed - just useless. So, I went to the
right aisle, and sorted out the 3 best lengths from the 30 they had, and
bought those.

They are presently horizontal, under weights, in the hope they'll be okay.

R D S

May 19, 2022, 8:22:55 AM5/19/22
On 19/05/2022 12:27, GB wrote:

> I ordered some timber for use as a skirting from B&Q for collection. The
> stuff they gave me was twisted, bowed - just useless. So, I went to the
> right aisle, and sorted out the 3 best lengths from the 30 they had, and
> bought those.
>
> They are presently horizontal, under weights, in the hope they'll be okay.

All the timber om B&Q website gets shit reviews, I was in there recently
and came out empty handed because I couldn't find enough straight pieces.

My local Howarths do skirting in timber but only seem to do architrave
in MDF. I've bought some plain timber from them and will be routinng it
myself.

GB

May 19, 2022, 10:21:08 AM5/19/22
B&Q store a lot of their timber vertically. Well, a bit off vertical.
Would it be better if they stored it, properly supported, in horizontal
racks? Or is it simply too green?

(You can tell that I know nothing about timber!)

R D S

May 19, 2022, 10:29:26 AM5/19/22
On 19/05/2022 15:21, GB wrote:

> B&Q store a lot of their timber vertically. Well, a bit off vertical.
> Would it be better if they stored it, properly supported, in horizontal
> racks? Or is it simply too green?
>
> (You can tell that I know nothing about timber!)

You do wonder, surely it would be better laid flat.

I've seen wood/board on racking/brackets with space between where it
goes a bit wavy!

Some of the jobs i've seen though (and paid for), I get the impression
that tradesmen don't care :)

Tim Lamb

May 19, 2022, 12:28:55 PM5/19/22
In message <t65k82$c3l$1...@dont-email.me>, R D S <rsa...@yahoo.com> writes
I think all the usable lengths get purchased leaving the bent/damaged
ones in the rack. The stock filler comes round and puts more in to the
designated stock level but does not remove the rubbish. >>>

--
Tim Lamb

Tim+

May 19, 2022, 2:30:09 PM5/19/22
This.

B&Q kinda create the problem by selling single pieces of wood. Naturally
every customer picks the best bits. The wiggly bits get left but are still
counted as stock balance so it soon happens that there’s nothing but wiggly
bits left that no one buys and the store doesn’t reorder as they have
stock.

Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

brian

May 19, 2022, 2:31:29 PM5/19/22
In message <t62r5i$rsh$1...@dont-email.me>, R D S <rsa...@yahoo.com> writes
I'm after some architrave to replace the rotten ones at my back door ;
the house was built in 1907 so quite ornate and an odd size . In the
olden days 90's, I took a piece my house's odd shaped skirting to
Lawsons Timber in Edinburgh who used a strange contouring template
device . They used this to set a milling machine and could run off exact
replicas.

I think the closest place that does bespoke wood mouldings is a 60 mile
round trip.

Brian

--
Brian Howie

R D S

May 20, 2022, 8:54:14 AM5/20/22
On 19/05/2022 15:21, GB wrote:

> (You can tell that I know nothing about timber!)

Me neither, though I have made an observation today, I've job on using
6x1 planed from Haworth Timber, I've a couple of pieces the same size
left over from a past job from B&Q.
The Howarth stuff is notably heavier, different tree? Older tree (the
knots are bigger too)? Anyway it feels miles better.

GB

May 21, 2022, 1:47:55 PM5/21/22
That wasn't the case with the 30 or so that I sorted through. Most were
shrink wrapped in bundles of 4, and I had to open the packets to see
what the wood looked like. (I'm probably on the B&Q expel from store
list now!)

GB

May 21, 2022, 1:51:23 PM5/21/22
That's the size I was using!

https://www.howarth-timber.co.uk/branches/finder
These people?

There's a branch 8 miles away (about 30-40 minutes in London traffic),
so maybe worth a try next time.

Dave Plowman (News)

May 22, 2022, 9:42:51 AM5/22/22
In article <t6b8k7$fko$2...@dont-email.me>,
Here, If I wanted timber from a shed, Homebase stuff was always better
than B&Q or Wickes. Never did quite work out why Wickes stuff was so bad,
given they are owned by what was a timber yard.

--
*I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe*

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

R D S

May 22, 2022, 9:45:07 AM5/22/22
On 21/05/2022 18:51, GB wrote:

> https://www.howarth-timber.co.uk/branches/finder
> These people?
>
> There's a branch 8 miles away (about 30-40 minutes in London traffic),
> so maybe worth a try next time.

Yes, i've not been happy with their timber historically but our local
branch have recently installed a separate dry/shuttered 'shed' to keep
the indoor use stuff in.

Andrew

May 22, 2022, 12:50:00 PM5/22/22

> Here, If I wanted timber from a shed, Homebase stuff was always better
> than B&Q or Wickes. Never did quite work out why Wickes stuff was so bad,
> given they are owned by what was a timber yard.

Wickes are no longer owned by anybody (apart from their new
shareholders) now that Travis Perkins have let them set sail under their
own steam (as was the case prior to ?2004)