demolishing concrete floor slab

sm_jamieson

Jul 4, 2007, 2:33:58 PM7/4/07
I have to demolish an old concrete floor slab, which is the floor of
an old outhouse and outside toilet, to make way for building work. Not
sure how thick it is yet - I guess 6 inches. What is the best way to
do this ? Just hire one of those "breakers" the road workers use and
bash it to bits ? Any advice about this. I am just realising how much
work the demolition is before I can get started building anything !
Cheers,
Simon.

Andrew Mawson

Jul 4, 2007, 2:40:12 PM7/4/07

"sm_jamieson" <sm_ja...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Where are you? I've just bought a JCB Beaver hydraulic breaker and
need somewhere to try it <G>

AWEM

Mike Barnard

Jul 4, 2007, 3:12:10 PM7/4/07

I had a lot of this to do recently. I tried getting an electric
'concrete breaker' first, but it just chipped bits of it. After a
while I just went and hired a hydraulic one. Only cost me about £40
and it chomped through it in no time. Don't waste time and money with
a silly one, go straight for the biggie. Worth it in the long run.

Newshound

Jul 4, 2007, 4:51:02 PM7/4/07
It may not be 6 inches, it may be 3 inches on top of hardcore. All depends
on the mix, too. If it's really 6 inches of decent mix then hire a big
breaker for the weekend. If not, you may get away with a Ł50 SDS and cheapie
chisels, especially if it is only a couple of square metres.

sm_jamieson

Jul 5, 2007, 4:50:10 AM7/5/07
On 4 Jul, 19:40, "Andrew Mawson" <andrew@no_spam_please_mawson.org.uk>
wrote:
> "sm_jamieson" <sm_jamie...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I'm in Coventry.
Simon.

Andrew Mawson

Jul 5, 2007, 5:49:01 AM7/5/07

"sm_jamieson" <sm_ja...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Sadly too far - I'm in Kent !

AWEM

John

Jul 5, 2007, 6:09:19 AM7/5/07
On 4 Jul, 21:51, "Newshound" <newsho...@fairadsl.co.uk> wrote:
> It may not be 6 inches, it may be 3 inches on top of hardcore. All depends
> on the mix, too. If it's really 6 inches of decent mix then hire a big
> breaker for the weekend. If not, you may get away with a £50 SDS and cheapie

> chisels, especially if it is only a couple of square metres.

It's probably worth buying one of these and drilling a few holes to
see what you're dealing with. Once you've got a hole, work away from
it rather than going straight into the middle with nowhere for the
concrete to break into.

John

The Natural Philosopher

Jul 5, 2007, 6:37:07 AM7/5/07

I had to take up a section like this.

Turned out a concrete saw was the easiest - I sledged up what I could,
then cut the slab into strips and levered them up.

Less noisy than a kango.

Lurch

Jul 5, 2007, 7:44:53 AM7/5/07
On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 10:49:01 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
<andrew@no_spam_please_mawson.org.uk> mused:

Eh? I'd pop up from Kent to Coventry to play with power tools, it's
not that far, just make sure you leave home in the early hours. ;)
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Andrew Mawson

Jul 5, 2007, 8:30:46 AM7/5/07

"Lurch" <myrea...@sjwelectrical.co.uk> wrote in message

Yes, right, but not while I'm in the middle of packing up the house &
workshop for moving !

AWEM

Grimly Curmudgeon

Jul 5, 2007, 6:49:31 PM7/5/07
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Andrew Mawson"
<andrew@no_spam_please_mawson.org.uk> saying something like:

>> > Where are you? I've just bought a JCB Beaver hydraulic breaker and
>> > need somewhere to try it <G>
>> >
>> > AWEM
>>
>> I'm in Coventry.
>> Simon.
>>

>Sadly too far - I'm in Kent !

He could bring the floor to you, surely?
--

Dave

Grimly Curmudgeon

Jul 5, 2007, 6:52:22 PM7/5/07
drugs began to take hold. I remember sm_jamieson
<sm_ja...@hotmail.com> saying something like:

>What is the best way to
>do this ? Just hire one of those "breakers" the road workers use and
>bash it to bits ?

If it's accessible from the road or driveway, see about hiring a local
JCB bod with breaker. I'm in a similar position, but have much much more
of it and wouldn't entertain the idea of doing it myself. I hired a bod
and breaker some years ago and was impressed at how much could be done
in a short time.
--

Dave

Andrew Mawson

Jul 6, 2007, 2:54:09 AM7/6/07

"Grimly Curmudgeon" <grimly...@REMOVEgmail.com> wrote in message

Well when I get to my new place I have literally almost an acre of
tatty concrete to break up, 2000 sq foot indoors and the rest various
roadways crudely laid over a few decades. Full sized JCB 3CX is on the
'must buy' list !

AWEM

sm_jamieson

Jul 6, 2007, 4:32:37 AM7/6/07

Thanks for the ideas folks.
I'll try drilling it to see how strong it is and decide from there.
Anyway, the concrete roof is first !
Cheers,
Simon.

Lurch

Jul 6, 2007, 6:05:42 AM7/6/07
On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 13:30:46 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
<andrew@no_spam_please_mawson.org.uk> mused:

>> >Sadly too far - I'm in Kent !

>> Eh? I'd pop up from Kent to Coventry to play with power tools, it's
>> not that far, just make sure you leave home in the early hours. ;)
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Stuart.
>
>Yes, right, but not while I'm in the middle of packing up the house &
>workshop for moving !

Fair enough!
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Grimly Curmudgeon

Jul 6, 2007, 7:48:12 AM7/6/07
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Andrew Mawson"
<andrew@no_spam_please_mawson.org.uk> saying something like:

>Well when I get to my new place I have literally almost an acre of

>tatty concrete to break up, 2000 sq foot indoors and the rest various
>roadways crudely laid over a few decades. Full sized JCB 3CX is on the
>'must buy' list !

Yep, same here. About half an acre that used to be hard standing for
episode I referred to) to break ground for septic tanks, etc, revealed
some of the covering to be nearly a foot thick as slab was laid on slab
over the years.

I quite like it as it is, I can drive onto it and park anywhere, but at
some point I need to lay more drains and create some sort of garden
area.
--

Dave

Andrew Mawson

Jul 6, 2007, 8:29:36 AM7/6/07

"Grimly Curmudgeon" <grimly...@REMOVEgmail.com> wrote in message

All sounds rather familliar ! Theoretically my JCB Beaver will break a
12" slab, but I've only played breaking bricks so far <G> What I
really want to do is crush it all with a concrete crusher into 20mm to
dust so I can re-use it as type one in various places

AWEM

Rick

Jul 15, 2007, 3:20:49 PM7/15/07
On 4 Jul, 19:33, sm_jamieson <sm_jamie...@hotmail.com> wrote: