Kitchen Floor Tiling

TheScullster

Nov 15, 2010, 12:04:58 PM11/15/10
Hi all

Looking at tiles for the kitchen floor and because it's a dark room, we were
considering fairly light tiles to brighten the place.
Does anyone have light tiles in the kitchen?
Is it workable, or do they get stained by flying food stuffs?
Also, we are considering a dark grout to avoid obvious staining of the white
alternative.

What dictates the notch size for the adhesive spreader when laying? I have
a float/spreader with 6mm deep tapered notches from some other job if that
will generate the right sort of floor tile laying bed.

Finally any personal recommendations on web sites for step-by-step guides
please?

TIA

Phil

The Wanderer

Nov 15, 2010, 2:15:30 PM11/15/10
On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 17:04:58 -0000, TheScullster wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Looking at tiles for the kitchen floor and because it's a dark room, we were
> considering fairly light tiles to brighten the place.
> Does anyone have light tiles in the kitchen?

Yes, a light beige colour, cheap from B&Q a few years back

> Is it workable, or do they get stained by flying food stuffs?

No problems, we have five cats and believe me, they can spread muck about
like nobody's business. Just mops clean.

> Also, we are considering a dark grout to avoid obvious staining of the white
> alternative.

We went for a beige waterproof grout close to the tile colour, reasonable
quality. I think you'd find the much darker grout an annoyance after a
while.

> What dictates the notch size for the adhesive spreader when laying? I have
> a float/spreader with 6mm deep tapered notches from some other job if that
> will generate the right sort of floor tile laying bed.

The recommended is a square section notch about 1/4". Make sure you get a
decent layer down. it's quite easy to finish up with 'thin' areas of
adhesive.

> Finally any personal recommendations on web sites for step-by-step guides
> please?

Your best bet is to spend a few minutes measuring and drawing out the
floor.

What you need to try and arrange is to have 'wide' part tiles at the edges,
i.e. if the floor is a notional 10 1/2 tiles wide, arrange it so you finish
up with 9 whole tiles and two 3/4 wide tiles at the edges, rather than 10
whole and two 1/4 wide tiles, IYSWIM. Much easier to cut, and if you think
about it, you still use the same number of tiles. A cheap power cutter
makes life much easier, decent floor tiles are bloody hard!

Always, always start at the centre and work to the edges. A chalk line is
invaluable for laying out. Depending on the layout, you could either start
with a tile centrally over the mid point of the room, or four tiles laid
around the mid point, depending on how many whole tiles to give you 1/2
tile+ at the edges.

Final tip, wide spacers, at least 5mm.

--
The Wanderer

Education would be so much more effective if its purpose were to ensure
that by the time they leave school every boy and girl should know how much
they don’t know, and be imbued with a lifelong desire to know it.

TheScullster

Nov 16, 2010, 6:29:01 AM11/16/10

"The Wanderer" wrote

Thanks Wanderer for comprehensive response.
One further question please - will a score-and-snap-type tile cutter work on
floor tiles?

Phil

Tim Watts

Nov 16, 2010, 7:20:36 AM11/16/10
On 16/11/10 11:29, TheScullster wrote:

> Thanks Wanderer for comprehensive response.
> One further question please - will a score-and-snap-type tile cutter work on
> floor tiles?
>
> Phil

Ceramic tiles - absolutely yes. My low end Rubi made a lovely job of
cutting my 300mm floor tiles.

--
Tim Watts

Vortex7

Nov 16, 2010, 10:59:00 AM11/16/10

>> --
>> The Wanderer
>>
>> Education would be so much more effective if its purpose were to ensure
>> that by the time they leave school every boy and girl should know how much
>> they don¢t know, and be imbued with a lifelong desire to know it.
>>

> Thanks Wanderer for comprehensive response.
> One further question please - will a score-and-snap-type tile cutter work on
> floor tiles?
>
> Phil

I second the cheap power cutter advice. Well worth it.

Vortex7

Nov 16, 2010, 11:06:35 AM11/16/10

> Thanks Wanderer for comprehensive response.
> One further question please - will a score-and-snap-type tile cutter work on
> floor tiles?
>
> Phil

BTW if Topps stock the tiles you want there's 6% cashback from Quidco.

stuart noble

Nov 16, 2010, 11:42:56 AM11/16/10
On 16/11/2010 15:59, Vortex7 wrote:

>>> --
>>> The Wanderer
>>>
>>> Education would be so much more effective if its purpose were to ensure
>>> that by the time they leave school every boy and girl should know how
>>> much
>>> they don┤ know, and be imbued with a lifelong desire to know it.

>> Thanks Wanderer for comprehensive response.
>> One further question please - will a score-and-snap-type tile cutter
>> work on
>> floor tiles?
>>
>> Phil
>>

> I second the cheap power cutter advice. Well worth it.

Really no point for the vast majority of straight cuts, although the odd
cut may not be possible any other way. Takes at least ten times longer
than a snapper, which gets a bit tedious after a while.

RoundSquare

Nov 16, 2010, 6:14:17 PM11/16/10

"Vortex7" <ne...@deletethis.hernibles.com> wrote in message

Yes but they are dearer on-line compared to in the shop or at least they
were with the ones I ordered.
Tell them you are in the trade and you get a further discount (usually)

For the OP, some good advice here http://www.tilersforums.co.uk/

The Wanderer

Nov 17, 2010, 4:16:25 AM11/17/10

>> they don┤ know, and be imbued with a lifelong desire to know it.

> Thanks Wanderer for comprehensive response.
> One further question please - will a score-and-snap-type tile cutter work on
> floor tiles?

My fairly robust score and snap cutter was passed on via freecycle when I
got the power cutter. It was just too hit and miss for a nice clean break.
It worked well on wall tiles but wasn't much good for floor tiles. Too many
breakages despite trying all manner of scoring tools.

Be warned, the power cutter operates with a shallow water bath, and is
quite messy!

I found a waxy crayon was best for marking the tiles, as the water would
wash off a marker pen.

I'm assuming you know how to mark tiles around the edges to make sure you
get a decent fit.....

--
The Wanderer

Genius without education is like silver in the mine.