Fitting Roller Blinds

Jeff Gaines

Feb 19, 2024, 6:40:51 AMFeb 19

Got a new roller blind for the lounge, the tube on the old one was much
too small and finally collapsed.

The brackets are top fix or side fix, I went for side fix. Marked the
holes then realised there was no way the electric drill (or the battery
drill) would let me drill holes about 0.25" from the top of the window
recess, just under 1" was the minimum.

I went for that but it looks odd with the top of the bracket about 0.25"
below the top of the window recess.

Is there a trick to this, apart from sawing the top of the bracket of so
it doesn't show?

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
By the time you can make ends meet they move the ends

The Natural Philosopher

Feb 19, 2024, 7:07:09 AMFeb 19
On 19/02/2024 11:40, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> Got a new roller blind for the lounge, the tube on the old one was much
> too small and finally collapsed.
>
> The brackets are top fix or side fix, I went for side fix. Marked the
> holes then realised there was no way the electric drill (or the battery
> drill) would let me drill holes about 0.25" from the top of the window
> recess, just under 1" was the minimum.
>
> I went for that but it looks odd with the top of the bracket about 0.25"
> below the top of the window recess.
>
> Is there a trick to this, apart from sawing the top of the bracket of so
> it doesn't show?

Yes. Don't use an electric drill directly
Right angle and flexi drives...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TIMESETL-Extension-Professional-Attachment-Workspace/dp/B07R7V3X9V/ref=zg_bs_g_1939343031_d_sccl_17/259-1921750-6062316

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-633973-Flexi-Drill-Extension/dp/B0015NULL4

or a very long drill

e.g.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/sourcing-map-Speed-Diameter-Length/dp/B09YHJPVQD/

--
The lifetime of any political organisation is about three years before
it's been subverted by the people it tried to warn you about.

Anon.

Roger Mills

Feb 19, 2024, 7:26:45 AMFeb 19
On 19/02/2024 11:40, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> Got a new roller blind for the lounge, the tube on the old one was much
> too small and finally collapsed.
>
> The brackets are top fix or side fix, I went for side fix. Marked the
> holes then realised there was no way the electric drill (or the battery
> drill) would let me drill holes about 0.25" from the top of the window
> recess, just under 1" was the minimum.
>
> I went for that but it looks odd with the top of the bracket about 0.25"
> below the top of the window recess.
>
> Is there a trick to this, apart from sawing the top of the bracket of so
> it doesn't show?

Use a drill bit with a hex shank, and a flexible connection to the drill
so that the chuck and drill body don't get in the way.

Examples:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-brad-point-wood-drill-bit-with-hex-shank-2mm-x-24mm/456fw
https://www.screwfix.com/p/1-4-hex-flexi-bit-holder-300mm/3405v
--
Cheers,
Roger

charles

Feb 19, 2024, 8:45:07 AMFeb 19
In article <xn0oi9d7b...@news.individual.net>,
Jeff Gaines <jgne...@outlook.com> wrote:

> Got a new roller blind for the lounge, the tube on the old one was much
> too small and finally collapsed.

> The brackets are top fix or side fix, I went for side fix. Marked the
> holes then realised there was no way the electric drill (or the battery
> drill) would let me drill holes about 0.25" from the top of the window
> recess, just under 1" was the minimum.

> I went for that but it looks odd with the top of the bracket about 0.25"
> below the top of the window recess.

> Is there a trick to this, apart from sawing the top of the bracket of so
> it doesn't show?

a longer drill bit?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4t้ฒ

noth...@aolbin.com

Feb 19, 2024, 8:47:30 AMFeb 19
On 19/02/2024 11:40, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> Got a new roller blind for the lounge, the tube on the old one was much
> too small and finally collapsed.
>
> The brackets are top fix or side fix, I went for side fix. Marked the
> holes then realised there was no way the electric drill (or the battery
> drill) would let me drill holes about 0.25" from the top of the window
> recess, just under 1" was the minimum.
>
> I went for that but it looks odd with the top of the bracket about 0.25"
> below the top of the window recess.
>
> Is there a trick to this, apart from sawing the top of the bracket of so
> it doesn't show?

Are you fixing to the window frame or masonry? If fixing to the frame
then use gashed screws that don't need a pilot and a long screwdriver bit.

Andy Burns

Feb 19, 2024, 10:31:35 AMFeb 19
Jeff Gaines wrote:

> The brackets are top fix or side fix, I went for side fix. Marked the
> holes then realised there was no way the electric drill (or the battery
> drill) would let me drill holes about 0.25" from the top of the window
> recess, just under 1" was the minimum.

Get a right-angle drill bit?

<https://i.redd.it/1674erf7cqa31.jpg>

Jeff Gaines