Fitting 72cm plaster ceiling roses and chandelier

1 view

Jim

Aug 5, 2007, 3:19:22 PM8/5/07
I've bought a 72cm plaster ceiling rose that I want to fit in a room.
It came without fitting instructions and is very heavy (~8.7kg).

If anyone has any experience fitting heavy roses I'd very much
appreciate some pointers.

The wife also wants to fit a chandelier below it which looks from the
catalogue like it fits to the ceiling with a single chain. Presumably
I need some kind of hook fixing to attach to the joist above, and I'm
trying to work out the logistics of whether to fix a hook first, then
fit the rose around the hook (with an unpleasant large hole in the
centre of the rose for the hook to pass through), or fit the rose
first, and then attach a hook through the rose (I'm worried of
cracking the rose).

Any helpful information would be much appreciated - I am beginning to
wonder whether I'd be better off paying a decorator to fit it for me.

Thanks for any responses.

George

Aug 5, 2007, 3:35:52 PM8/5/07

"Jim" <camd...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Mine is large and heavy and was fitted with two securing screws in the
perimeter side of the hole and also drywall adhesive around the perimeter of
the edge of the ceiling rose with dabs of it randomly over the back of it.
I then positioned it in place with the two screws and twisted it back and
forth on the ceiling so that the adhesive squeezed out of the sides and
screwed the screws fully home,wiped the excess adhesive off ...job done.

A noggin screwed to the joist above will be adequate to hold the chandelier.

Owain

Aug 5, 2007, 4:38:41 PM8/5/07
Jim wrote:
> The wife also wants to fit a chandelier below it which looks from the
> catalogue like it fits to the ceiling with a single chain. Presumably
> I need some kind of hook fixing to attach to the joist above, and I'm
> trying to work out the logistics of whether to fix a hook first, then
> fit the rose around the hook (with an unpleasant large hole in the
> centre of the rose for the hook to pass through), or fit the rose
> first, and then attach a hook through the rose (I'm worried of
> cracking the rose).

You cut a 2" (approx) hole in the centre of the plaster rose, and fit a
2" metal electrical conduit box (BESA box) to the ceiling with long
screws going through joist or noggin above. The rose is then stuck to
the ceiling. (The BESA box may or may not need to be recessed so that it
is approx level or slightly recessed below the finished front face of
the rose.)

You can then use choc block inside the BESA box to connect to the flex
to the chandelier. The chandelier is hung from a hook faceplate that is
screwed to the BESA box.

Besa Box:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CO20BX1G.html
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CO20BX1BOG.html

Hook plate
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/COHP.html

Brass hook plate:
http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/Product.asp?iProductID=885

S Lilley & Sons do a lot of brass lightfittings, I don't know if retail
www.s-lilley.co.uk

Owain

Lurch

Aug 5, 2007, 7:17:40 PM8/5/07
On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 21:38:41 +0100, Owain
<owain...@stirlingcity.coo.uk> mused:You can get loop in boxes with plain sides, slightly easier to fit. ;)
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Owain

Aug 6, 2007, 5:42:45 AM8/6/07
Lurch wrote:
>>Besa Box:
>>http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CO20BX1G.html
>>http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CO20BX1BOG.html
> You can get loop in boxes with plain sides, slightly easier to fit. ;)

Illustrate your pearls of wisdom with a link please :-)

I was looking for a rear entry only one [stop sniggering at the back]
but couldn't see one at first glance.

Owain

Lurch

Aug 6, 2007, 3:39:25 PM8/6/07
On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 10:42:45 +0100, Owain
<owain...@stirlingcity.coo.uk> mused:

No, I couldn;t see one on the TLC site so just mentioned it as I
assumed that what with me fitted loads of the things on the bottom of
galv trunking for plug in ceiling roses on commercial jobs would do as
a trusted source for the fact they are available. Obviously not. ;)

I have had to find some somewhere else, and none of my wholesalers
have online shopfronts. The work I have to do for some people.

/tut, rolleyes etc...

<http://www.gil-lec.co.uk/products/Cable+Management/Round+Metal+Conduit+%26+Accessories/20mm+Galvanised/Loop-In+Box+1+Hole+20mm+Galvanised/1654761149>

Bit like that, but you can get proper ones made like proper galv
boxes, not some bent tin.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Owain

Aug 6, 2007, 3:50:51 PM8/6/07
Lurch wrote:
>>>You can get loop in boxes with plain sides, slightly easier to fit. ;)
>>Illustrate your pearls of wisdom with a link please :-)
> No, I couldn;t see one on the TLC site so just mentioned it as I
> assumed that what with me fitted loads of the things on the bottom of
> galv trunking for plug in ceiling roses on commercial jobs would do as
> a trusted source for the fact they are available. Obviously not. ;)

Oh, I trust you, but for the benefit of the OP it's easier if he has a
printout he can take into his local merchant and say "I want one of
those please"

> I have had to find some somewhere else, and none of my wholesalers
> have online shopfronts. The work I have to do for some people.
> /tut, rolleyes etc...

But see how grateful we all are. <passes Lurch a virtual slice of home
made fudge> You wouldn't get that on the Screwf*x forums...

If it's holding up the lady of the house's illuminatory baubles
something better than bent tin might be required.

Owain

Lurch

Aug 6, 2007, 5:07:46 PM8/6/07
On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 20:50:51 +0100, Owain
<owain...@stirlingcity.coo.uk> mused:

>>>Illustrate your pearls of wisdom with a link please :-)
>> No, I couldn;t see one on the TLC site so just mentioned it as I
>> assumed that what with me fitted loads of the things on the bottom of
>> galv trunking for plug in ceiling roses on commercial jobs would do as
>> a trusted source for the fact they are available. Obviously not. ;)
>
>Oh, I trust you, but for the benefit of the OP it's easier if he has a
>printout he can take into his local merchant and say "I want one of
>those please"

Yeah, but after searching for an hour I still can't find any info, and
I know *exactly* what I' looking for!

The OP should be fine asking for a plain galv loop in box.

>> I have had to find some somewhere else, and none of my wholesalers
>> have online shopfronts. The work I have to do for some people.
>> /tut, rolleyes etc...
>
>But see how grateful we all are. <passes Lurch a virtual slice of home
>made fudge> You wouldn't get that on the Screwf*x forums...
>
>> <http://www.gil-lec.co.uk/products/Cable+Management/Round+Metal+Conduit+%26+Accessories/20mm+Galvanised/Loop-In+Box+1+Hole+20mm+Galvanised/1654761149>
>> Bit like that, but you can get proper ones made like proper galv
>> boxes, not some bent tin.
>
>If it's holding up the lady of the house's illuminatory baubles
>something better than bent tin might be required.

Yep, the link was more of an illustration of what it is, rather than
the exact one required. ;)

Stop Press, found some!

<http://www.meteorelectrical.com/catalog/291>

Best I can find, I'm giving it a rest now.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Jim

Aug 7, 2007, 7:02:53 PM8/7/07
On Aug 6, 10:07 pm, Lurch <myrealn...@sjwelectrical.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 20:50:51 +0100, Owain
> <owain47...@stirlingcity.coo.uk> mused:

> >> No, I couldn;t see one on the TLC site so just mentioned it as I
> >> assumed that what with me fitted loads of the things on the bottom of
> >> galv trunking for plug in ceiling roses on commercial jobs would do as
> >> a trusted source for the fact they are available. Obviously not. ;)
>
> >Oh, I trust you, but for the benefit of the OP it's easier if he has a
> >printout he can take into his local merchant and say "I want one of
> >those please"
>
> Yeah, but after searching for an hour I still can't find any info, and
> I know *exactly* what I' looking for!
>
> The OP should be fine asking for a plain galv loop in box.
>
> >> I have had to find some somewhere else, and none of my wholesalers
> >> have online shopfronts. The work I have to do for some people.
> >> /tut, rolleyes etc...
>
> >But see how grateful we all are. <passes Lurch a virtual slice of home
> >made fudge> You wouldn't get that on the Screwf*x forums...
>
> >> <http://www.gil-lec.co.uk/products/Cable+Management/Round+Metal+Condui...>

> >> Bit like that, but you can get proper ones made like proper galv
> >> boxes, not some bent tin.
>
> >If it's holding up the lady of the house's illuminatory baubles
> >something better than bent tin might be required.
>
> Yep, the link was more of an illustration of what it is, rather than
> the exact one required. ;)
>
> Stop Press, found some!
>
> <http://www.meteorelectrical.com/catalog/291>
>
> Best I can find, I'm giving it a rest now.
> --
> Regards,
> Stuart.

I just want to thank Owain, Stuart (and George) for all their
feedback. It's been most helpful.

I'll let you know how things progress... :)