Ladder jacks

343 views
Skip to first unread message

gilli

unread,
May 19, 2011, 2:51:53 PM5/19/11
to
Hello All,
I have need of a pair of ladder jacks. I understand they are now
illegal to use or to sell...not sure which..maybe both...., and I
understand why.
I would appreciate any guidance on where I could get a pair, or,
failing that, some plans to construct some.
They are still sold in the USA, but quite expensive to ship...
Thanks
David G

Heliotrope Smith

unread,
May 19, 2011, 3:13:02 PM5/19/11
to
gilli <jdgil...@o2.co.uk> wrote in news:9af3c5c9-06a3-4e07-9479-
4f71b6...@z15g2000prn.googlegroups.com:

> Hello All,
> I have need of a pair of ladder jacks. I understand they are now
> illegal to use or to sell...not sure which..maybe both


Better known as Ladder Cripples.

I see these from time to time at boot sales.

Yes banned now. Check out this type of ladder platform.
http://www.ladders-999.co.uk/ladder-accessories/lsd-ladder-staging-
scaffold.html


--- Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net/ - Complaints to ne...@netfront.net ---

Martin Pentreath

unread,
May 20, 2011, 5:27:14 PM5/20/11
to
On May 19, 8:13 pm, Heliotrope Smith <sm...@heliotrope.moc> wrote:
> gilli <jdgillil...@o2.co.uk> wrote in news:9af3c5c9-06a3-4e07-9479-
> 4f71b6264...@z15g2000prn.googlegroups.com:

>
> > Hello All,
> > I have need of a pair of ladder jacks. I understand they are now
> > illegal to use or to sell...not sure which..maybe both
>
> Better known as Ladder Cripples.
>
> I see these from time to time at boot sales.
>
> Yes banned now. Check out this type of ladder platform.http://www.ladders-999.co.uk/ladder-accessories/lsd-ladder-staging-
> scaffold.html

I don't know what ladder cripples were, or why they were so dangerous,
but the thing in that picture looks like a death trap!

Mark

unread,
May 20, 2011, 7:04:31 PM5/20/11
to
Martin Pentreath wrote:

Ladder Cripples or suicide brackets as they were called down south were just
a metal bracket that fitted on a ladder rung
you put another on a second ladder then placed a scaffold board between the
two.
The modem contraption listed above is safe as houses in comparison.


-

Tabby

unread,
May 20, 2011, 8:15:13 PM5/20/11
to

simple to make from wood, making sure to load test to triple maximum
service weight. When designing, watch for wood's tendency to split.
Steel strapping can help there if necessary.


NT

Jules Richardson

unread,
May 24, 2011, 8:59:42 AM5/24/11
to

We used some at my brother-in-law's place last summer. Not an experience
I'd care to repeat.

Being on the scaffold board wasn't actually too bad so long as you're
paying attention, but it was the climb around the brackets to get up on
the board in the first place, and then getting off again afterwards,
which felt particularly unsafe - due to the roofline of the house we were
working on, our scaffold board had to extend beyond the ladders; the one
in the link doesn't look so bad, because there's enough ladder sticking
out to make it onto the board easily.

cheers

Jules

Chris J Dixon

unread,
May 24, 2011, 9:11:56 AM5/24/11
to
Jules Richardson wrote:

>Being on the scaffold board wasn't actually too bad so long as you're
>paying attention, but it was the climb around the brackets to get up on
>the board in the first place, and then getting off again afterwards,
>which felt particularly unsafe

The guys replacing my fascias used something similar, though
didn't bother with the handrails :-(

However, they got round your problem by using a separate ladder
for access to the platform.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
ch...@cdixon.me.uk

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Jules Richardson

unread,
May 24, 2011, 10:16:42 AM5/24/11
to
On Tue, 24 May 2011 14:11:56 +0100, Chris J Dixon wrote:

> Jules Richardson wrote:
>
>>Being on the scaffold board wasn't actually too bad so long as you're
>>paying attention, but it was the climb around the brackets to get up on
>>the board in the first place, and then getting off again afterwards,
>>which felt particularly unsafe
>
> The guys replacing my fascias used something similar, though didn't
> bother with the handrails :-(

Handrails? Luxury... :-) Oh, and lifting + moving 5x8' sheets of 3/4"
OSB around while balancing on top of that lot is a right sod, too.
Thankfully my neighbour has some scaffold platforms that I can borrow if
if I ever need to do similar work on my house.

> However, they got round your problem by using a separate ladder for
> access to the platform.

We did have three until my wife's brother managed to back his 2-ton truck
over the end of one of them and crushed it - d'oh!

cheers

Jules

Jules Richardson

unread,
May 24, 2011, 10:16:42 AM5/24/11
to
On Tue, 24 May 2011 14:11:56 +0100, Chris J Dixon wrote:

> Jules Richardson wrote:
>
>>Being on the scaffold board wasn't actually too bad so long as you're
>>paying attention, but it was the climb around the brackets to get up on
>>the board in the first place, and then getting off again afterwards,
>>which felt particularly unsafe
>
> The guys replacing my fascias used something similar, though didn't
> bother with the handrails :-(

Handrails? Luxury... :-) Oh, and lifting + moving 5x8' sheets of 3/4"

OSB around while balancing on top of that lot is a right sod, too.
Thankfully my neighbour has some scaffold platforms that I can borrow if
if I ever need to do similar work on my house.

> However, they got round your problem by using a separate ladder for
> access to the platform.

We did have three until my wife's brother managed to back his 2-ton truck

Mark

unread,
May 24, 2011, 5:40:44 PM5/24/11
to
Jules Richardson wrote:

Agreed, i used them extensively in the 1960s at guttering hight
but back then sex was safe and motor racing was dangerous
now we have H&S and everything is dangerous


-

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages