1N4007 size

Unknown

Sep 28, 2021, 7:20:28 AMSep 28
I have just taken delivery of some 1N4007 wire ended diodes for a
repair, but they are physically much smaller than I anticipated and I
cannot distinguish the numbers on them. They are similar in size to the
glass bodied 1N4148, with similar sized leads. Have they started making
them smaller?

Fitting them will not be easy, where they are located, so I'm wary
ofwasting my time fitting them, for them to go pop.

steve jones

Sep 28, 2021, 7:28:42 AMSep 28
Since its a 1kv diode it should be in a standard DO-41 which is much bigger than a 1N4148

Paul

Sep 28, 2021, 8:11:11 AMSep 28
Shows dimensions here, a DO-41 flavor of 1N4007.
I wasn't aware they came in other than epoxy packaging.

https://www.diodes.com/assets/Datasheets/ds28002.pdf

I've probably only ever bought a half dozen packets
of those over the years, but they've always been
the black epoxy.

Perhaps a clever substitution by someone ?

The ones I have right now, are by NTE, and the
entire part number is printed on it.

Paul

Unknown

Sep 28, 2021, 8:18:00 AMSep 28
steve jones used his keyboard to write :
> Since its a 1kv diode it should be in a standard DO-41 which is much bigger
> than a 1N4148

The 4148 seems to be a DO-35 package.

Fredxx

Sep 28, 2021, 4:16:00 PMSep 28
DO-35
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1N4148_signal_diode

DO-41
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1N400x_general-purpose_diode

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DO-204
does suggest there is an overlap in size.

Personally I would go for a diode 2-3x your expected max current for
longevity. De-rate further if getting heat away is an issue. Size is
everything, as are the leads for conducting heat.

Cursitor Doom

Sep 28, 2021, 5:35:50 PMSep 28
Source? You can get some right old crap off Ebay. Life gets better
with Mouser or Digikey (if a bit more expensive, but worth the extra).

--

"There are, besides, eternal truths, such as Freedom, Justice, etc., that are
common to all states of society. But Communism abolishes eternal truths, it

- The Communist Manifesto, Marx & Engels.

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Sep 29, 2021, 3:35:31 AMSep 29
Yes exactly. I'd return them myself.
I remember when I could see there used to be so called equivelents made by
dodgy makers which were borderline to say the least.

Of course they could have just had a very silly picker or they were in the
wrong bin.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"steve jones" <stevej...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message

Unknown

Sep 29, 2021, 4:40:21 AMSep 29
Brian Gaff (Sofa) formulated on Wednesday :
> Yes exactly. I'd return them myself.
> I remember when I could see there used to be so called equivelents made by
> dodgy makers which were borderline to say the least.

I got in touch with the seller to express my concerns and he assured me
they were genuine full spec. devices so I installed them yesterday.

They were to replace the failed, mains input diodes in a SMPSU, in a
mains / drill battery powered Dewalt vacuum cleaner. It failed a couple
of years ago, so I lashed a 12v LA battery to it as a temporary way to
power it. The PSU was sat on my bench awaiting the opportunity and
inclination to repair it all of that time. So far, it is working fine.