IP ratings for bathroom electrical fittings

Tricky Dicky

Aug 7, 2007, 8:06:06 AM8/7/07
Hi all

Does anyone know where I can get the lowdown on IP ratings without having to
invest in the latest Wiring Regs. I am particularly concerned in the siting
of wall fans.

Richard

Mathew Newton

Aug 7, 2007, 8:36:30 AM8/7/07

The Natural Philosopher

Aug 7, 2007, 8:46:28 AM8/7/07

Don't think there is a regulation regarding their siting. As long as
they suck air, thats good enough. Mind you one tucked at the bottom of a
wall behind the bog might have the BCO scratching for his rule book..

I'll say one thing tho, don't put a humidistat next to an open window
where it will come on in heavy rain showers ;-)

> Richard

Anna Kettle

Aug 7, 2007, 1:49:32 PM8/7/07
On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 13:46:28 +0100, The Natural Philosopher <a@b.c>
wrote:

>Tricky Dicky wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> Does anyone know where I can get the lowdown on IP ratings without having to
>> invest in the latest Wiring Regs. I am particularly concerned in the siting
>> of wall fans.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/professionals/en/1115314110382.html

for the Part P regulations. My electrician vetoed my fan-at-the-end-of
the-bath idea cos is in the wrong zone. Luckily fan-in-the-ceiling was
acceptable. 2.4m above the floor is the magic distance istr

Anna
--
~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repair and conservation

Tricky Dicky

Aug 7, 2007, 2:12:38 PM8/7/07
Hi again

Thanks for the pointers Matthew, I found all I needed to know.

Ta Richard
"Tricky Dicky" <richard....@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Lurch

Aug 7, 2007, 2:45:43 PM8/7/07
On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 17:49:32 GMT, Tansy...@freeukisp.co.uk (Anna
Kettle) mused:

>On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 13:46:28 +0100, The Natural Philosopher <a@b.c>
>wrote:
>
>>Tricky Dicky wrote:
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> Does anyone know where I can get the lowdown on IP ratings without having to
>>> invest in the latest Wiring Regs. I am particularly concerned in the siting
>>> of wall fans.
>
>http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/professionals/en/1115314110382.html
>
>for the Part P regulations. My electrician vetoed my fan-at-the-end-of
>the-bath idea cos is in the wrong zone.

I'd have put a low voltage one in if it was in the bath.

>Luckily fan-in-the-ceiling was
>acceptable. 2.4m above the floor is the magic distance istr

2.4m from the bottom of the bath.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

John Rumm

Aug 7, 2007, 7:32:10 PM8/7/07
Anna Kettle wrote:

> for the Part P regulations. My electrician vetoed my fan-at-the-end-of
> the-bath idea cos is in the wrong zone. Luckily fan-in-the-ceiling was
> acceptable. 2.4m above the floor is the magic distance istr

With a ceiling one you can have a ducted fan, with the actual fan remote
(in the loft for example), which gets round any zoning problems.

--
Cheers,

John.