Cutting disc for aluminium

Dave Plowman (News)

Aug 24, 2007, 8:30:10 AM8/24/07
I've got a 4/12" angle grinder mounted on a stand and would like to use it
as a cutoff saw for aluminium rod. What would be the best cutting disc to
use? A diamond one appeals due to it being thinner so less waste.

--
*Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

nightjar

Aug 24, 2007, 12:51:55 PM8/24/07

"Dave Plowman (News)" <da...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote in message

> I've got a 4/12" angle grinder mounted on a stand and would like to use it
> as a cutoff saw for aluminium rod. What would be the best cutting disc to
> use? A diamond one appeals due to it being thinner so less waste.

Aluminium is a nasty, sticky material. I always use a circular slitting saw,
lubricated with beeswax, to cut it.

Colin Bignell

Aug 24, 2007, 1:42:46 PM8/24/07

"nightjar .uk.com>" <nightjar@<insert my surname here> wrote in message

What he said or you can use paraffin for lubricant

Dave Plowman (News)

Aug 24, 2007, 1:39:03 PM8/24/07
In article <ncqdnYuZEuEwkVLb...@giganews.com>,

Yes - hence the question. I've got a spare basic really wood cutoff saw
that cost not a lot at B&Q - could I use that, and where would I get a
suitable blade? Or could I get the correct blade to fit the angle grinder?

I need to create 32 wedge shaped washers and would like a more accurate
(and easy) way than my hack sawing. Perhaps I need some tips from dribble.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried *

tony sayer

Aug 24, 2007, 3:16:21 PM8/24/07
In article <4f177ea...@davenoise.co.uk>, Dave Plowman (News)
<da...@davenoise.co.uk> scribeth thus

>In article <ncqdnYuZEuEwkVLb...@giganews.com>,
> nightjar <nightjar@<insert my surname here>.uk.com> wrote:
>> "Dave Plowman (News)" <da...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote in message
>> > I've got a 4/12" angle grinder mounted on a stand and would like to
>> > use it as a cutoff saw for aluminium rod. What would be the best
>> > cutting disc to use? A diamond one appeals due to it being thinner so
>> > less waste.
>
>> Aluminium is a nasty, sticky material. I always use a circular slitting
>> saw, lubricated with beeswax, to cut it.
>
>Yes - hence the question. I've got a spare basic really wood cutoff saw
>that cost not a lot at B&Q - could I use that, and where would I get a
>suitable blade? Or could I get the correct blade to fit the angle grinder?

Dave.. We used to use a circular saw to cut ally tubing many years ago
to make TV aerials with and it, with a fairly fine cut blade worked
fine. Plenty of lube we used to use paraffin..

Been using a woodbit in a router to put a nice "milled" edge on some,
ally recently and provided its lubed well and not too fast makes a fine
cut indeed)..

>I need to create 32 wedge shaped washers and would like a more accurate
>(and easy) way than my hack sawing. Perhaps I need some tips from dribble.

--
Tony Sayer

nightjar

Aug 25, 2007, 6:03:16 AM8/25/07

> In article <ncqdnYuZEuEwkVLb...@giganews.com>,
> nightjar <nightjar@<insert my surname here>.uk.com> wrote:
>> "Dave Plowman (News)" <da...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote in message
>> > I've got a 4/12" angle grinder mounted on a stand and would like to
>> > use it as a cutoff saw for aluminium rod. What would be the best
>> > cutting disc to use? A diamond one appeals due to it being thinner so
>> > less waste.
>
>> Aluminium is a nasty, sticky material. I always use a circular slitting
>> saw, lubricated with beeswax, to cut it.
>
> Yes - hence the question. I've got a spare basic really wood cutoff saw
> that cost not a lot at B&Q - could I use that, and where would I get a
> suitable blade? Or could I get the correct blade to fit the angle grinder?

Any fine tooth HSS blade, preferably without tooth offset, ought to do the
job. I wouldn't want to try it with an angle grinder though.

Colin Bignell

nightjar

Aug 25, 2007, 6:05:10 AM8/25/07

"R" <No...@here.net> wrote in message

Beeswax stays on the saw longer if you don't have the facilities to flood
the cut with lubricant. The main problem is finding an ironmonger who still
stocks it.

Colin Bignell

Dave Baker

Aug 25, 2007, 9:49:46 AM8/25/07

"Dave Plowman (News)" <da...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote in message

> In article <ncqdnYuZEuEwkVLb...@giganews.com>,
> nightjar <nightjar@<insert my surname here>.uk.com> wrote:
>> "Dave Plowman (News)" <da...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote in message
>> > I've got a 4/12" angle grinder mounted on a stand and would like to
>> > use it as a cutoff saw for aluminium rod. What would be the best
>> > cutting disc to use? A diamond one appeals due to it being thinner so
>> > less waste.
>
>> Aluminium is a nasty, sticky material. I always use a circular slitting
>> saw, lubricated with beeswax, to cut it.
>
> Yes - hence the question. I've got a spare basic really wood cutoff saw
> that cost not a lot at B&Q - could I use that, and where would I get a
> suitable blade? Or could I get the correct blade to fit the angle grinder?
>
> I need to create 32 wedge shaped washers and would like a more accurate
> (and easy) way than my hack sawing. Perhaps I need some tips from dribble.

You can buy specifically designed non-ferrous metal cutting saw blades such
as

http://www.toolbaydirect.co.uk/product_info.php?catid=272&id=2196

Might as well go for carbide teeth given how cheap they are. You'll probably
find that whatever blade you have in there anyway will cut aluminium
reasonably well. Might as well try it first anyway. My mate had to cut some
aluminium channel a while back as part of an office refit and his fancy
woodworking mitre saw made short work of it with the wood blade it came
with. An old glass cleaner spray bottle with some paraffin in it is ideal
for lubricating the cut. I'd definitely go for the blade rather than an
abrasive disk for ally. Those are more suited to ferrous metals.
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines
A young woman gets hit by a car and falls into a deep coma. Months go by