Torbeck valve - how does it work?

chris French

Jan 24, 2010, 10:33:01 AM1/24/10
The Torbeck valve for one of the toilet cisterns seems to have packed up
- water only comes out through the bit where the float arm attaches,
not through the actual filler.

I've fiddled around with it a bit but it's still not working - I think
I'll just replace it rather than waste time anyway.

but how do the things actually work - it's not obvious from looking at
mine
--
Chris French

Bob Eager

Jan 24, 2010, 10:48:48 AM1/24/10

Black magic, I always think. Most of the DIY books have an explanation.

Ours did the same last week. It was a tiny bit of grit in the needle-
sized hole in the outer cap - the hole that gets covered by the small
circular rubber pad on the float arm attachment. I used a needle and air
to clear it...at 12.30 a.m.!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Dave Plowman (News)

Jan 24, 2010, 11:09:33 AM1/24/10
In article <xuFw+2Bt...@blackhole.familyfrench.co.uk>,

chris French <newspos...@familyfrench.co.uk> wrote:
> but how do the things actually work - it's not obvious from looking at
> mine

That's a good question. I have no idea either. ;-)

--
*Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

YAPH

Jan 24, 2010, 11:19:45 AM1/24/10
On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 15:48:48 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

>> but how do the things actually work - it's not obvious from looking at
>> mine
>
> Black magic, I always think. Most of the DIY books have an explanation.

Indeed :-)

It's what's called an equilibrium valve. The basic principle is that water
pressure bears on both sides of the rubber diaphragm but there's more
surface area exposed to the water on the side that presses the diaphragm
against the inlet shutting off the water flow. But on that side there's a
tiny hole - the one you see which gets covered by the tiny rubber bung
attached to the float arm. When the float drops and uncovers the hole it
takes away the pressure holding the valve shut and water runs through the
valve, filling the cistern until the float rises and closes the hole
whereupon the pressure on that side closes the valve again.

Neat, huh? ;-)

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

"I used to think correlation implied causation.
Then I took a statistics course and now I don't."
"Sounds as if the statistics course helped."
"Well, maybe."

Peter Crosland

Jan 24, 2010, 11:21:58 AM1/24/10
"chris French" <newspos...@familyfrench.co.uk> wrote in message

Hard to describe but think pressure differentials. They are a real pain in
the proverbial. Replace it with another type.

Peter Crosland

Bob Eager

Jan 24, 2010, 12:00:52 PM1/24/10
On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 16:19:45 +0000, YAPH wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 15:48:48 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:
>
>>> but how do the things actually work - it's not obvious from looking at
>>> mine
>>
>> Black magic, I always think. Most of the DIY books have an explanation.
>
> Indeed :-)
>
> It's what's called an equilibrium valve. The basic principle is that
> water pressure bears on both sides of the rubber diaphragm but there's
> more surface area exposed to the water on the side that presses the
> diaphragm against the inlet shutting off the water flow. But on that
> side there's a tiny hole - the one you see which gets covered by the
> tiny rubber bung attached to the float arm. When the float drops and
> uncovers the hole it takes away the pressure holding the valve shut and
> water runs through the valve, filling the cistern until the float rises
> and closes the hole whereupon the pressure on that side closes the valve
> again.
>
> Neat, huh? ;-)

Until the hole gets blocked...they are very prone to dirt, etc. When
they've been repairing water mains nearby, or when they suddenly decided
to fit an external stoptap without telling us, dirt got in and buggered
it up...!

Dave

Jan 24, 2010, 12:24:24 PM1/24/10
YAPH wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 15:48:48 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:
>
>>> but how do the things actually work - it's not obvious from looking at
>>> mine
>> Black magic, I always think. Most of the DIY books have an explanation.
>
> Indeed :-)
>
> It's what's called an equilibrium valve. The basic principle is that water
> pressure bears on both sides of the rubber diaphragm but there's more
> surface area exposed to the water on the side that presses the diaphragm
> against the inlet shutting off the water flow. But on that side there's a
> tiny hole - the one you see which gets covered by the tiny rubber bung
> attached to the float arm. When the float drops and uncovers the hole it
> takes away the pressure holding the valve shut and water runs through the
> valve, filling the cistern until the float rises and closes the hole
> whereupon the pressure on that side closes the valve again.
>
> Neat, huh? ;-)

They work on the same principal as the air valves in an aircraft's
equipment cooling and air conditioning system. I had to go on a weeks
course to learn how it worked, but the most eye opening thing was how
the cockpit cooling was done, just using engine bleed air to cool the
crew down.

It works on the same principle as a fridge or air con unit by
compressing the coolant (air) to make it warm and then letting it
expand, so cooling it and dumping the heat. There were no motors
involved, it was all done by air driven devices.

Dave

The Medway Handyman

Jan 24, 2010, 2:22:07 PM1/24/10

Agreed - spawn of the devil. Agin nature. Bring back the good old ball
valve.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Peter Crosland

Jan 24, 2010, 3:33:05 PM1/24/10
"The Medway Handyman" <davi...@no-spam-blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

Second only to the Saniflo but at least the Torbeck is relatively clean!

Peter Crosland

Tim Watts

Jan 24, 2010, 5:23:48 PM1/24/10
On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 20:33:05 +0000, "Peter Crosland" <g6...@yahoo.co.uk>
wibbled:

Thank you all. I'll be plumbing my new bog soon. It came with a Torbeck
valve. It looks very fliddy. After reading this, I'm off to look for a
better valve/float assembly.

--
Tim Watts

Message has been deleted

Andy Dingley

Jan 24, 2010, 5:42:10 PM1/24/10
On 24 Jan, 19:22, "The Medway Handyman" <davidl...@no-spam-
blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Agreed - spawn of the devil.  Agin nature.  Bring back the good old ball
> valve.

Ball valves?

Croydon valves (the sliding plunger) did, I suppose, keep a lot of
handymen employed (hmmm....) but they were rubbish at gradually
leaking. Torbecks, IMHE, have been utterly reliable, fast-filling and
quiet. OTOH, I haven't lived anywhere with hard water in years.

At present I've inherited some crappy American thing (dark grey, float
wraps the upstand pipe) and it just doesn't get on with a UK syphon.
It starts to refill instantly, so that if you let it fill at anything
more than a trickle it doesn't let the syphon break and so it's
continually semi-flushing indefinitely. Trying to throttle it with the
service ballvalve makes it noisy, slow and requires fiddling from time
to time. I have no intention of fitting the matching US-style flapper
valve, lest the unquiet spirit of Thomas Crapper return and haunt me
when that starts wasting water..

Roger Mills

Jan 24, 2010, 5:43:39 PM1/24/10
m...@privacy.net <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> On 24 Jan,

> Tim Watts <t...@dionic.net> wrote:
>
>> Thank you all. I'll be plumbing my new bog soon. It came with a
>> Torbeck valve. It looks very fliddy. After reading this, I'm off to
>> look for a better valve/float assembly.
>>

> I've torbecks in the two bogs and the loft tank. Much quieter than the
> non-equilibrium kind, and I've had no bother with them in well over
> ten years.

Agreed. Because the float only has a very short arm, it's only in the water
for the last little bit of fill - so you get full flow until the cistern is
virtually full, whereas a conventional float valve starts to shut off much
earlier.
--
Cheers,
Roger

John

Jan 24, 2010, 6:05:03 PM1/24/10

>> Hard to describe but think pressure differentials. They are a real
>> pain in the proverbial. Replace it with another type.
>
> Agreed - spawn of the devil. Agin nature. Bring back the good old ball
> valve.
>

> --
> Dave - The Medway Handyman
> www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

.....so if you can't be bothered to understand it then you should condemn
it?

Message has been deleted

Dave Liquorice

Jan 24, 2010, 7:51:46 PM1/24/10
On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 22:28:07 GMT, m...@privacy.net wrote:

> I've torbecks in the two bogs and the loft tank. Much quieter than the
> non-equilibrium kind, and I've had no bother with them in well over ten
> years.

Same here nor problems at all fast fill and quiet. I wouldn't put one
on a loft tank without first checking the over flow can handle the
flow rate, as per the instructions...

--
Cheers
Dave.

The Medway Handyman

Jan 25, 2010, 2:09:57 PM1/25/10

But I do understand it. And I've had to sort out loads of the buggers.

chris French

Jan 25, 2010, 4:48:48 PM1/25/10
In message <7s40oe...@mid.individual.net>, Roger Mills
<watt....@googlemail.com> writes

>In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
>m...@privacy.net <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> On 24 Jan,
>> Tim Watts <t...@dionic.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Thank you all. I'll be plumbing my new bog soon. It came with a
>>> Torbeck valve. It looks very fliddy. After reading this, I'm off to
>>> look for a better valve/float assembly.
>>>
>> I've torbecks in the two bogs and the loft tank. Much quieter than the
>> non-equilibrium kind, and I've had no bother with them in well over
>> ten years.
>

>Agreed. Because the float only has a very short arm, it's only in the water
>for the last little bit of fill - so you get full flow until the cistern is
>virtually full, whereas a conventional float valve starts to shut off much
>earlier.

The one I've now just replaced (wasn't worth fiddling with IMO) had
quite likely been there since the bathroom was installed - 20 years? The
one I fitted in my old house new cistern worked fine for about 5 years
before I moved here.

Anyway, I'm not sure an alternative valve would fit. It is a shallow
depth , built in cistern so there isn't much space in there.

Anyway, thanks folks i understand how they work now.
--
Chris French

Graham.

Jan 26, 2010, 8:49:08 AM1/26/10

<m...@privacy.net> wrote in message news:50DED7FC2F%brian...@lycos.co.uk...

> On 24 Jan,
> Tim Watts <t...@dionic.net> wrote:
>

>> Thank you all. I'll be plumbing my new bog soon. It came with a Torbeck
>> valve. It looks very fliddy. After reading this, I'm off to look for a
>> better valve/float assembly.
>>

> I've torbecks in the two bogs and the loft tank. Much quieter than the
> non-equilibrium kind, and I've had no bother with them in well over ten
> years.

I'm with you about liking my Torbeck, the water either runs full rate or
not at all, rather than a ball balve progressively reducing the rate to a dribble
before the level is high enough to prime the siphon.

The same toilet has got a "Pacific" siphon with a wrinkled rubber seal and
I can't get a replacement.That can be a nuisance, good job I'm not on
a meter.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Tim Watts

Jan 26, 2010, 9:37:00 AM1/26/10
On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 13:49:08 +0000, "Graham." <m...@privacy.net> wibbled:

Very polarised opinions on Torbecks... Seems to be a love them or hate
them?

Andy Dingley

Jan 26, 2010, 10:28:41 AM1/26/10
On 26 Jan, 14:37, Tim Watts <t...@dionic.net> wrote:

> Very polarised opinions on Torbecks... Seems to be a love them or hate
> them?

Most people love how they work, some report problems with limescale on
the tiny valve hole.

If you're in a soft water area, no problem.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Dave Plowman (News)

Jan 29, 2010, 8:30:02 AM1/29/10
In article <50DFC1B73F%brian...@lycos.co.uk>,
<m...@privacy.net> wrote:
> On 26 Jan,
> Andy Dingley <din...@codesmiths.com> wrote:

> That could be it, soft water, I've three of them, no problems, quiet,
> fast filling etc.

It's pretty hard water in this part of London and the one in my toilet
lasted 20 years or so. Might have been able to repair it with a kit if I
understood how they worked - but a complete one didn't break the bank and
was worth it for the silence...

--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control.

chris French

Jan 29, 2010, 7:50:26 PM1/29/10
In message <50e13a0...@davenoise.co.uk>, "Dave Plowman (News)"
<da...@davenoise.co.uk> writes

>In article <50DFC1B73F%brian...@lycos.co.uk>,
> <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
>> On 26 Jan,
>> Andy Dingley <din...@codesmiths.com> wrote:

>> > Most people love how they work, some report problems with limescale on
>> > the tiny valve hole.
>> >
>> > If you're in a soft water area, no problem.
>
>> That could be it, soft water, I've three of them, no problems, quiet,
>> fast filling etc.
>
>It's pretty hard water in this part of London and the one in my toilet
>lasted 20 years or so.

It's hard water here as well, and the old one had done well I think.

>Might have been able to repair it with a kit if I
>understood how they worked - but a complete one didn't break the bank and
>was worth it for the silence...

Yup, replacing was the sensible option from my POV
--
Chris French

stev...@sallyandsteve.com

Jul 16, 2013, 3:45:03 PM7/16/13
Thanks to this thread I have fixed my Torbeck valve. It wasn't filling (or ridiculously slowly, anyway). The tiny air hole at the top was not completely blocked (I could see light through it), but there was a miniscule amount of limescale in it which was enough to stop it working properly. I cleared the hole out with a needle, and now all is good. I had taken it all apart to clean it out, but in future I'll just remove the rocker arm on the float and use the needle, which is a two minute job. Saved me 10 pounds on a new one.

Onetap

Jul 16, 2013, 4:11:21 PM7/16/13
On Sunday, January 24, 2010 4:19:45 PM UTC, YAPH wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 15:48:48 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:
>
> It's what's called an equilibrium valve. The basic principle is that water
> pressure bears on both sides of the rubber diaphragm but there's more
> surface area exposed to the water on the side that presses the diaphragm

Pilot operated diaphragm valve, type of thing.

Many solenoid valves operate on the same principle, with only the little pilot jet operated by the solenoid and most of the water flow controlled by the diaphragm, that itself is operated by the pilot.

The diaphragm diverter valves installed in many combi boilers work the same way, the diaphragm actuator being operated by the release of water pressure when a hot tap is opened.

I have a torbeck valve on my loft tank, worked fine for 5 years until the water suppliers did something to my connection to the main and filled it with dirt.

The replacement suffered from severe water hammer, but the makers sent a 'prototype' adaptor, free of charge, that solved that.

harryagain

Jul 17, 2013, 3:07:40 AM7/17/13

<stev...@sallyandsteve.com> wrote in message
The "rubber" diaphragm closes the valve. Water pressure moves the diaphragm.
The pressure on the diaphragm is greater on the pressure chamber side
because it has a greater area than the valve orifice.

The needle valve in the middle releases the water behind the diaphragm in
the pressure chamber to let the valve open.

The other tiny hole in the diaphragm seat lets water out of the pressure
chamber so the valve can close./seat itself

If the valve dribbles (ie doesn't properly close) is is because this latter
hole is blocked.

Fred Turton

May 15, 2015, 4:44:04 PM5/15/15
replying to YAPH, Fred Turton wrote:
> usenet wrote:
>
> Indeed :-)
> It's what's called an equilibrium valve. The basic principle is that water
> pressure bears on both sides of the rubber diaphragm but there's more
> surface area exposed to the water on the side that presses the diaphragm
> against the inlet shutting off the water flow. But on that side there's a
> tiny hole - the one you see which gets covered by the tiny rubber bung
> attached to the float arm. When the float drops and uncovers the hole it
> takes away the pressure holding the valve shut and water runs through the
> valve, filling the cistern until the float rises and closes the hole
> whereupon the pressure on that side closes the valve again.
> Neat, huh? ;-)

I have tried two different Torbeck valves and had the same trouble both
times. The float mechanism wont shut off the water supply. It just gushes
out. I have tried different diaphragms but the response is the same. I
have fitted various other types of valves, which have always been
successful. I have given up on the Torbeck.

Fred Turton

May 15, 2015, 4:44:04 PM5/15/15
replying to YAPH, Fred Turton wrote:
> usenet wrote:
>
> Indeed :-)
> It's what's called an equilibrium valve. The basic principle is that water
> pressure bears on both sides of the rubber diaphragm but there's more
> surface area exposed to the water on the side that presses the diaphragm
> against the inlet shutting off the water flow. But on that side there's a
> tiny hole - the one you see which gets covered by the tiny rubber bung
> attached to the float arm. When the float drops and uncovers the hole it
> takes away the pressure holding the valve shut and water runs through the
> valve, filling the cistern until the float rises and closes the hole
> whereupon the pressure on that side closes the valve again.
> Neat, huh? ;-)

I forgot to mention that in both cases I assembled the Torbeck valve
straight from the pack. As I couldn't stop the gushing I undid the blue
cap to look at the diaphragm but still had no luck.

Bob Eager

May 15, 2015, 5:23:01 PM5/15/15
Did you get a pressure reducer with it?

Dave Liquorice

May 16, 2015, 2:58:04 AM5/16/15
On Fri, 15 May 2015 20:44:01 +0000, Fred Turton wrote:

> I have tried two different Torbeck valves and had the same trouble both
> times. The float mechanism wont shut off the water supply. It just
> gushes out.

Did you fit the correct flow reducer?

> I have given up on the Torbeck.

And in another post:

> As I couldn't stop the gushing I undid the blue cap to look at the
> diaphragm but still had no luck.

Torbeck(tm) is a trademark of Fluidmaster UK not a type of valve.
Though it appears that they only use it on equlibrium valves.
Fliudmaster also make float valves and use the Delchem(tm) trademark
on that type. Both have blue caps but the Delchem(tm) float valves
also have a blue body and big long arm for the normal 4" dia ball to
attach to.

--
Cheers
Dave.

DerbyBorn

May 16, 2015, 5:09:13 AM5/16/15

As I recall they don't respond immediately when manually operated.

stuart noble

Nov 29, 2015, 9:55:21 AM11/29/15
On Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 10:09:13 AM UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:

> As I recall they don't respond immediately when manually operated.

Sorry to resurrect an oldie, and on Google too, but that last remark saved my bacon today. I had assumed the new Torbeck would shut off when I lifted the arm, so it nearly went in the bin.
The original has lasted 30 years, so like for like replacement seemed the best option. Attaching that plastic sleeve was a bugger though

e...@makewrite.demon.co.uk

Nov 29, 2015, 3:38:33 PM11/29/15
A lot of manufacturers have very similar designs. They all use the same idea and slight but significant variations of the diaphragm, nozzles etc.

[Ideal standard seems to have taken this approach further than most and made almost everything they have different to the everyone else. As someone said there's nothing standard about Ideal Standard.]

Agree with those who say work well but vulnerable to debris.

Ed

Paul Edwards

Dec 7, 2019, 8:14:05 PM12/7/19
replying to DerbyBorn, Paul Edwards wrote:
I was just about to lose it, then read your post, thank you so much! Yep, give
it 5-10 seconds and it works perfectly. Thanks again!!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/torbeck-valve-how-does-it-work-610758-.htm

Max Demian

Dec 8, 2019, 6:58:08 AM12/8/19
On 08/12/2019 01:14, Paul Edwards wrote:
> replying to DerbyBorn, Paul Edwards wrote:
> I was just about to lose it, then read your post, thank you so much!
> Yep, give
> it 5-10 seconds and it works perfectly.  Thanks again!!

https://www.homeownershub.com/ gives "This page can’t be displayed".
That's good news if it's permanent.

--
Max Demian

Dave W

Dec 9, 2019, 6:30:22 PM12/9/19
On Sun, 8 Dec 2019 11:58:05 +0000, Max Demian <max_d...@bigfoot.com>
wrote:
It works for me.
--
Dave W

solars...@gmail.com

Jul 7, 2020, 2:05:12 PM7/7/20
My girlfriend's Torbeck-based cistern started filling very slowly. Eventually found the problem - a small slit in the diaphragm. This meant the water pressure both sides was more-or-less the same, hence it couldn't open properly. Looking at the thing, under normal circumstances, the very small hole that goes over the locating pin is a tiny bleed hole similar in size to the hole at the float end, so pressure on the float side is much less until the float stops off that end. If the diaphragm splits, the 'bleed' effect is much greater. Most irritatingly: found her local Wickes had stock, ordered by click and collect, and found when I'd got back they'd given me a 'Fluidmaster' diaphragm, which looks the same but has the small hole in the middle, not to one side. And due to Covid, they had shut by the time I realised. Amazon and eBay both stock them, but when I want it, I want it NOW!!!!

Hers is a slimline cistern, so the good old Portsmouth type that I have at home isn't an option.

GB

Jul 7, 2020, 2:10:32 PM7/7/20
On 07/07/2020 19:05, solars...@gmail.com wrote:
> My girlfriend's Torbeck-based cistern started filling very slowly. Eventually found the problem - a small slit in the diaphragm. This meant the water pressure both sides was more-or-less the same, hence it couldn't open properly. Looking at the thing, under normal circumstances, the very small hole that goes over the locating pin is a tiny bleed hole similar in size to the hole at the float end, so pressure on the float side is much less until the float stops off that end. If the diaphragm splits, the 'bleed' effect is much greater. Most irritatingly: found her local Wickes had stock, ordered by click and collect, and found when I'd got back they'd given me a 'Fluidmaster' diaphragm, which looks the same but has the small hole in the middle, not to one side. And due to Covid, they had shut by the time I realised. Amazon and eBay both stock them, but when I want it, I want it NOW!!!!
>
> Hers is a slimline cistern, so the good old Portsmouth type that I have at home isn't an option.

Toolstation will sell you NOW a replacement Torbeck valve for £7. Open
for a couple of hours, still.

Andy Burns

Jul 7, 2020, 2:17:15 PM7/7/20
GB wrote:

> Toolstation will sell you NOW a replacement Torbeck valve for £7. Open
> for a couple of hours, still.

closed a couple of hours ago, I think you'll find (corvid rules)

Jim GM4DHJ ...

Jul 7, 2020, 2:52:50 PM7/7/20
On 07/07/2020 19:05, solars...@gmail.com wrote:
> My girlfriend's Torbeck-based cistern started filling very slowly. Eventually found the problem - a small slit in the diaphragm. This meant the water pressure both sides was more-or-less the same, hence it couldn't open properly. Looking at the thing, under normal circumstances, the very small hole that goes over the locating pin is a tiny bleed hole similar in size to the hole at the float end, so pressure on the float side is much less until the float stops off that end. If the diaphragm splits, the 'bleed' effect is much greater. Most irritatingly: found her local Wickes had stock, ordered by click and collect, and found when I'd got back they'd given me a 'Fluidmaster' diaphragm, which looks the same but has the small hole in the middle, not to one side. And due to Covid, they had shut by the time I realised. Amazon and eBay both stock them, but when I want it, I want it NOW!!!!
>
> Hers is a slimline cistern, so the good old Portsmouth type that I have at home isn't an option.

magic..never managed to repair one....

Bob Eager

Jul 7, 2020, 3:42:29 PM7/7/20
We have slimlines (came with the house) and a special float and arm on
one of them shattered. I replaced it with a Torbeck years ago.

The onoly problem is that sometimes it doesn't shut off properly and the
overflow starts to run. Always caused by a tiny bit of grit blocking the
bleed hole under the arm [1]. Take it apart, compressed air, job done.

[1] Generally when they've been digging up the pipes nearby.

JD2

Jul 11, 2020, 2:14:03 PM7/11/20
replying to Bob Eager, JD2 wrote:
Finally found the problem with the Torbeck valve. Has anybody else found the
SECOND rubber? If you carefully pries of the lever arm you will see a black
rubber washer in the arm. It is only about 3mm in diameter. Look at the
surface through a magnifying glass and there may be ware makes on it. This is
the seal that closes off the bleed air valve. If you find a supplier of a
replacement let me know. Meantime pries out the washer and reverse it. Careful
it will spring out and disappear for ever. Reassemble and have a quiet nights
sleep. JD2