Rolson Tools....Cheese or Granite

RW

Jun 12, 2008, 2:42:25 PM6/12/08
OK..........They're cheap and chuckable. But, when advertised as "Tradesman"
tools
Don't.....Just don't......ever.....ever .... buy their screwdriver sets
unless you need some old shyte steel for making hairpins.

First set.....harder than granite and just as brittle....." Hammer Through"
it said on the pack. Didn't need to hammer them to break any, just normal
use on stubborn screws.
Second replacement set softer than fresh laid dog turd !

Bring back the old style Kamasa sets.......Had a set for 15 or more years
and they still do the job well.

Andy Dingley

Jun 12, 2008, 3:57:26 PM6/12/08
On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 19:42:25 +0100, "RW" <No...@here.net> wrote:

>Bring back the old style Kamasa sets.......Had a set for 15 or more years
>and they still do the job well.

Wiha, via Axminster. Not expensive either.

Tim S

Jun 12, 2008, 4:48:49 PM6/12/08
RW coughed up some electrons that declared:

Wera. Not cheap but very very good.

Dave Plowman (News)

Jun 12, 2008, 5:42:40 PM6/12/08
In article <48518bb1$0$647$5a6a...@news.aaisp.net.uk>,

Tim S <t...@dionic.net> wrote:
> Wera. Not cheap but very very good.

I'm not so sure. I've managed to wear out the pozidriv one in my set. The
diamond coating didn't protect it for that long.

--
*If tennis elbow is painful, imagine suffering with tennis balls *

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave Plowman (News)

Jun 12, 2008, 5:40:40 PM6/12/08
In article <6bd90iF...@mid.individual.net>,

If you want inexpensive tools that are decent quality check out Lidl - but
you'll have to look for a 'special' day.

Kamasa - at one time at least - were a quality brand. I've got one of
their socket sets which is excellent.

--
*I will always cherish the initial misconceptions I had about you

The Medway Handyman

Jun 12, 2008, 6:25:50 PM6/12/08

Wickes do some good ones
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Screwdrivers/Screwdriver-Set/invt/167313 I've been
beating seven bells out of mine for a couple of years now.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Andrew Gabriel

Jun 12, 2008, 8:07:56 PM6/12/08
In article <Onh4k.8255$E41....@text.news.virginmedia.com>,

"The Medway Handyman" <davi...@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> writes:
> Andy Dingley wrote:
>> On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 19:42:25 +0100, "RW" <No...@here.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Bring back the old style Kamasa sets.......Had a set for 15 or more
>>> years and they still do the job well.
>>
>> Wiha, via Axminster. Not expensive either.
>
> Wickes do some good ones
> http://www.wickes.co.uk/Screwdrivers/Screwdriver-Set/invt/167313 I've been
> beating seven bells out of mine for a couple of years now.

The best screwdriver I've got came with the Meccano chiming clock kit
around 30 years ago, I kid you not. Just right hardness blade, and
very comfortable handle. It used to have "Meccano" engraved in the
handle, but I've worn that off.

The next best ones were a few single ones I bought from Halfords, but
as that was over 20 years ago, it's probably not a useful guide to
whatever they sell nowadays.

--
Andrew Gabriel

d...@gglz.com

Jun 13, 2008, 12:39:11 AM6/13/08

> The next best ones were a few single ones I bought from Halfords, but
> as that was over 20 years ago, it's probably not a useful guide to
> whatever they sell nowadays.

I have some Halfords of that vintage, plain black handles - I think
they're rebranded Spiralux - not their top of the range, but quite
decent.

Recently bought best would be Wera slipstop - expensive but a real
"notch above" on quality compared to most.

Dave Plowman (News)

Jun 13, 2008, 1:21:38 PM6/13/08
In article <4851ba5c$0$645$5a6a...@news.aaisp.net.uk>,

Andrew Gabriel <and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> The next best ones were a few single ones I bought from Halfords, but
> as that was over 20 years ago, it's probably not a useful guide to
> whatever they sell nowadays.

Halford's pro range of spanners/sockets is pretty good - it's what I buy
if I'm missing one. Not sure if they do the same with screwdrivers.

--
*INDECISION is the key to FLEXIBILITY *

Grimly Curmudgeon

Jun 16, 2008, 2:02:36 PM6/16/08
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)"
<da...@davenoise.co.uk> saying something like:

>Kamasa - at one time at least - were a quality brand. I've got one of
>their socket sets which is excellent.

I have several Kamasa tools which were made/bought when they were being
produced in Japan (or so I believe) and they are every bit the equal of
Snap-On or Britool. About 20 years ago the quality of Kamasa took a
definite downturn and I wouldn't bother with them any more.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

"It's a moron working with power tools.
How much more suspenseful can you get?"
- House

Andy Dingley

Jun 16, 2008, 9:28:14 PM6/16/08
On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 19:02:36 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon
<grimly...@REMOVEgmail.com> wrote:

>I have several Kamasa tools which were made/bought when they were being
>produced in Japan (or so I believe) and they are every bit the equal of
>Snap-On or Britool.

If they're 25-30 years old and branded as Kamasa "Texans", then peel the
sticker off the box and read where it has "Snap-on" stamped into it, who
were who actually made them for the US-market. A set of these were my
first Snap-ons.