Storing drill bits - how do people here do it?

tin...@isbd.co.uk

Aug 13, 2007, 11:53:23 AM8/13/07
How do people here on uk.d-i-y store their drill bits? I'm doing a
big tidy up and sort out of my workshops and have managed to sort out
ways of storing most of my stuff but I'm a bit stumped when it comes
to drills.

Currently they're in a hotch potch of broken plastic 'drill sets', a
cutlery tray and small ones in the original paper packs.

Can you buy those trays with lots of varying sized holes for storing
drills? If so where can you get them? I might consider making one
but it's a lot of work for not much gain and a mass produced plastic
moulding that does the same probably costs just a couple of pounds, if
anyone makes one.

--
Chris Green

Mary Fisher

Aug 13, 2007, 11:58:56 AM8/13/07

<tin...@isbd.co.uk> wrote in message

You could make a wedge-shaped wooden block and drill slightly oversize holes
for all your spare bits. The shortest would fit in the holes at the narrow
end of the block and the longer ones at the wider.

A bit of work but not much - and it's unbreakable.

Mary

Stuart B

Aug 13, 2007, 12:12:06 PM8/13/07

If you are handy with a sewing machine I s'pose you could make a
rollup with pockets for the different sizes of drill going from
smallest at one end to largest at the other .Depending on how may and
different types you have more than one might be needed .

OR
A piece of thick polystyrene that the drills could be stucjk in to but
that might be a bit fragile and not easy to carry round if you needed

Peter

Aug 13, 2007, 1:03:34 PM8/13/07

"Stuart B" <stu...@xpozure4u.plus.com> wrote in message

OR buy one set of the new drill thro anything drills and put the rest back
in the drawer.

Peter

George

Aug 13, 2007, 1:00:02 PM8/13/07

<tin...@isbd.co.uk> wrote in message

A block of wood and holes drilled for each drill bit,then a strip of
alluminium below each drill bit with the size stamped or those plastic strip
labellers you can buy.

Mike Barnard

Aug 13, 2007, 1:32:20 PM8/13/07
On 13 Aug 2007 15:53:23 GMT, tin...@isbd.co.uk wrote:

I'm going against the idea of neatly storing them. Throw them into a
plastic box. Simple. All the rust flakes stay in there too, along
with the odd bits of grit, wall plugs, 4" wheels or bits thereof,
rotary wire brushes and any odd chuck keys.

Neat, out of the way and easy to find.

Oh, did you say keep them SAFE? Ah, thats for the others.

Tim Southerwood

Aug 13, 2007, 1:54:52 PM8/13/07
tin...@isbd.co.uk coughed up some electrons that declared:

I bought a cheapo large set of PB drills from Bodgit-Qwik. The deciding
factor was that there was a wide selection of wood, metal and masonry bits
and the plastic case was decent and had nice storage arrangements.

My plan is to replace the drills as they wear with decent ones into the same
box. It also means I always have the right size - but only need to buy
decent bits in the sizes I use most.

Tim

tin...@isbd.co.uk

Aug 13, 2007, 2:05:22 PM8/13/07
Yes, I suppose that's the neat way to do it but that's what I felt was
"a lot of work for not much gain". Still it may be the 'right' way.

--
Chris Green

tin...@isbd.co.uk

Aug 13, 2007, 2:08:36 PM8/13/07
Yes, that sort of where my "broken plastic 'drill sets'" are, I
have one half decent Bosch box. However I don't need the wood bits,
I don't need the masonry bits and I don't need the screwdriver bits
in it so much of the space is rather redundant. In addition I
really want to have two or three of those most used sizes (4, 5 and
6mm for me).

--
Chris Green

The Medway Handyman

Aug 13, 2007, 2:09:23 PM8/13/07
Peter wrote:

> OR buy one set of the new drill thro anything drills and put the
> rest back in the drawer.

A man after my own heart! I don't bother with much else lately - they
really do work don't they.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Dave Plowman (News)

Aug 13, 2007, 2:17:45 PM8/13/07
In article <46c07e73$0$643$bed6...@news.gradwell.net>,

Draper do - or did - list a 'conventional' plastic drill holder thingie
with the sizes nicely printed on the holder. But strangely only in for
imperial sizes. I did a lot of searching trying to find one similar for
metric. I'm sure an engineering supplier should have what I want but I
couldn't find one.

Lidl had metric sets once in a nice flip out steel box for a price cheap
enough for the box alone - but the drills were fine too. I bought a couple.
Screwfix do similar.

--
*On the other hand, you have different fingers*

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Keith Dunbar

Aug 13, 2007, 2:31:05 PM8/13/07
Screwfix link please ...

Keith

"Peter" <phay...@xyzbtopenworld.com> wrote in message

George

Aug 13, 2007, 2:32:51 PM8/13/07

<tin...@isbd.co.uk> wrote in message

> > > Chris Green
> >
> > A block of wood and holes drilled for each drill bit,then a strip of
> > alluminium below each drill bit with the size stamped or those plastic
strip
> > labellers you can buy.
> >
> Yes, I suppose that's the neat way to do it but that's what I felt was
> "a lot of work for not much gain". Still it may be the 'right' way.
>
> --
> Chris Green

Sheesh! talk about laziness

The whole thing will only take about 30 to 40 minutes.

ps do you ever finish a job off?

Mary Fisher

Aug 13, 2007, 2:51:07 PM8/13/07

>> A block of wood and holes drilled for each drill bit,then a strip of
>> alluminium below each drill bit with the size stamped or those plastic
>> strip
>> labellers you can buy.
>>
> Yes, I suppose that's the neat way to do it but that's what I felt was
> "a lot of work for not much gain". Still it may be the 'right' way.

Oh come on!

Mary Fisher

Aug 13, 2007, 2:52:24 PM8/13/07

>... I

> have one half decent Bosch box. However I don't need the wood bits,
> I don't need the masonry bits and I don't need the screwdriver bits
> in it so much of the space is rather redundant. In addition I
> really want to have two or three of those most used sizes (4, 5 and
> 6mm for me).
>
> --
> Chris Green

I'll take them off your 'ands, guv ...

Mary

John Rumm

Aug 13, 2007, 5:08:39 PM8/13/07

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=26900&ts=39271

--
Cheers,

John.

Lurch

Aug 13, 2007, 5:21:34 PM8/13/07
On 13 Aug 2007 15:53:23 GMT, tin...@isbd.co.uk mused:

>How do people here on uk.d-i-y store their drill bits? I'm doing a
>big tidy up and sort out of my workshops and have managed to sort out
>ways of storing most of my stuff but I'm a bit stumped when it comes
>to drills.
>
>Currently they're in a hotch potch of broken plastic 'drill sets', a
>cutlery tray and small ones in the original paper packs.

Mine are organised in that I know what size is where. Some are thrown
in the drill boxes with the drills they are most commonly used with,
some are in the top of my toolbox, some are on the dash of the van,
some of the really commonly used ones are in the drills they are used
with, some are in my pocket, some are on the bedside table, on the
desk in the bedroom and the rest are in a box in the garage with
anything else drill related and smallish. Surprisingly, I also have a
full set of bits from 2mm to 10mm in a metal drill bit case in a box
in the back of the van as well, but they don't get used too often as
actually opening the tin, selecting the right size bit etc... is a bit
too much like hard work.

And I know what size ones are where as well. ;)

>Can you buy those trays with lots of varying sized holes for storing
>drills? If so where can you get them? I might consider making one
>but it's a lot of work for not much gain and a mass produced plastic
>moulding that does the same probably costs just a couple of pounds, if
>anyone makes one.

Someone somewhere does.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

ARWadsworth

Aug 13, 2007, 5:46:09 PM8/13/07

"Lurch" <myrea...@sjwelectrical.co.uk> wrote in message

> On 13 Aug 2007 15:53:23 GMT, tin...@isbd.co.uk mused:
>
>>How do people here on uk.d-i-y store their drill bits? I'm doing a
>>big tidy up and sort out of my workshops and have managed to sort out
>>ways of storing most of my stuff but I'm a bit stumped when it comes
>>to drills.
>>
>>Currently they're in a hotch potch of broken plastic 'drill sets', a
>>cutlery tray and small ones in the original paper packs.
>>
> Mine are organised in that I know what size is where. Some are thrown
> in the drill boxes with the drills they are most commonly used with,
> some are in the top of my toolbox, some are on the dash of the van,
> some of the really commonly used ones are in the drills they are used
> with, some are in my pocket, some are on the bedside table, on the
> desk in the bedroom and the rest are in a box in the garage with
> anything else drill related and smallish.

What is wrong with the van footwell? Throw them all there and you know where
they are.

Adam

Lurch

Aug 13, 2007, 5:55:36 PM8/13/07
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 21:46:09 GMT, "ARWadsworth"
<adamwa...@blueyonder.co.uk> mused:

That's for the McDonalds and KFC wrappers and boxes.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

fred

Aug 13, 2007, 6:01:36 PM8/13/07
In article <Bi4wi.6425$cw7....@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
ARWadsworth <adamwa...@blueyonder.co.uk> writes
Spoken like a true tradesman.

You can't do this cos the scrotes who are perpetually breaking into your
van will slip on them, hurt themselves and sue you for their injuries. Btw,
how goes that particular battle?
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla

The Medway Handyman

Aug 13, 2007, 6:24:26 PM8/13/07
Lurch wrote:

> Mine are organised in that I know what size is where. Some are thrown
> in the drill boxes with the drills they are most commonly used with,
> some are in the top of my toolbox, some are on the dash of the van,
> some of the really commonly used ones are in the drills they are used
> with, some are in my pocket, some are on the bedside table, on the
> desk in the bedroom and the rest are in a box in the garage with
> anything else drill related and smallish. Surprisingly, I also have a
> full set of bits from 2mm to 10mm in a metal drill bit case in a box
> in the back of the van as well, but they don't get used too often as
> actually opening the tin, selecting the right size bit etc... is a bit
> too much like hard work.
>
> And I know what size ones are where as well. ;)

Now thats what I call proper organisation! A true tradesman!

meow...@care2.com

Aug 13, 2007, 6:36:08 PM8/13/07

The only real solution... a round tuit comes along eventually:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Drill_Bit_Case

NT

Owain

Aug 13, 2007, 7:11:42 PM8/13/07
Lurch wrote:
> "ARWadsworth" mused:

>>What is wrong with the van footwell? Throw them all there and you know where
>>they are.
> That's for the McDonalds and KFC wrappers and boxes.

The grease would stop the drill bits getting rusty.

Owain

Grimly Curmudgeon

Aug 14, 2007, 6:20:32 AM8/14/07
drugs began to take hold. I remember tin...@isbd.co.uk saying something
like:

>How do people here on uk.d-i-y store their drill bits?

Lobbed in a compartment in the drill case.
--

Dave

Grimly Curmudgeon

Aug 14, 2007, 6:24:54 AM8/14/07
drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadsworth"
<adamwa...@blueyonder.co.uk> saying something like:

>What is wrong with the van footwell? Throw them all there and you know where
>they are.

Can't Guv; too many bits and pieces there - binocs, camera, drill
charger, Diet Coke, telephone wire, satellite finder kit, etc. How on
earth could I find room for a drill set?
--

Dave

The Medway Handyman

Aug 14, 2007, 2:54:00 PM8/14/07
tin...@isbd.co.uk wrote:
> How do people here on uk.d-i-y store their drill bits? I'm doing a
> big tidy up and sort out of my workshops and have managed to sort out
> ways of storing most of my stuff but I'm a bit stumped when it comes
> to drills.

Reading this reminded me to order some new Bosch Multi Material drill bits
which arrived today. I more or less only use 6mm, 8mm & 5mm on a regular
basis.

I pondered on where to keep them readily accessible in my overcrowded tool
bag. Simple - in an outside pocket that contains a 10" spirit level with a
magnetic base - bits stick to magnet!

Message has been deleted

The Medway Handyman

Aug 14, 2007, 6:41:26 PM8/14/07
Huge wrote:
> On 2007-08-14, The Medway Handyman <davi...@nospamblueyonder.co.uk>

> wrote:
>> tin...@isbd.co.uk wrote:
>>> How do people here on uk.d-i-y store their drill bits? I'm doing a
>>> big tidy up and sort out of my workshops and have managed to sort
>>> out ways of storing most of my stuff but I'm a bit stumped when it
>>> comes to drills.
>>
>> Reading this reminded me to order some new Bosch Multi Material
>> drill bits which arrived today. I more or less only use 6mm, 8mm &
>> 5mm on a regular basis.
>>
>> I pondered on where to keep them readily accessible in my
>> overcrowded tool bag. Simple - in an outside pocket that contains a
>> 10" spirit level with a magnetic base - bits stick to magnet!
>
> And then all the swaerf sticks ot the bits. Grrrrrr.

I don't find masonry & wood generate much swarf :-) Never really drill
metal much.

> (I keep mine in an old Golden Virgina tin. No, I never smoked, I
> worked on the production line and picked up a lifetime (literally -
> it was 35 years ago) supply of the tins.)

I use a baccy tin to store fags ends when working in peoples gardens or
outside their houses - stops litter. Much easier in magician mode - I just
make them vanish whilst still lit.

pete

Aug 15, 2007, 11:29:46 AM8/15/07

Golden Virginia tobacco tin - ditto for screws washers and all sorts
of bits and bobs - need labeling though

ARWadsworth

Aug 15, 2007, 12:08:59 PM8/15/07

"fred" <n...@for.mail> wrote in message news:vV47pmADTNwGFwXv@y.z...

They do not break in as such, they just throw bricks through the window and
run off.

The battle goes well. An arrest and convition "section 5 POA" for the next
door neighbour thanks to my CCTV. She it treading on eggshells as she is a
home help and may lose her job.

Adam

fred

Aug 16, 2007, 7:38:55 PM8/16/07
In article <vyFwi.7446$cw7....@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
ARWadsworth <adamwa...@blueyonder.co.uk> writes

>The battle goes well. An arrest and convition "section 5 POA" for the next
>door neighbour thanks to my CCTV. She it treading on eggshells as she is a
>home help and may lose her job.

Excellent result :-)

>They do not break in as such, they just throw bricks through the window and
>run off.

Not so good . . .

Andy Hall

Aug 20, 2007, 12:07:45 AM8/20/07
On 2007-08-14 23:41:26 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
<davi...@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> said:

> I use a baccy tin to store fags ends when working in peoples gardens or
> outside their houses - stops litter.

But are they any good after people have trodden on them?

> Much easier in magician mode - I just
> make them vanish whilst still lit.

Just like that?

Dave Plowman (News)

Aug 20, 2007, 5:00:43 AM8/20/07
Just to say Lidl round here at least have a drill set from 1 - 10mm in
0.5mm steps in a decent steel pop up case for 5 quid on sale from this
Thursday. I bought one last time round and the drills are pretty ok for
most uses too. I'll be stocking up with a couple more.
<http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20070823.p.Drill_Bit_Set_-_19_Pieces.ar1>

--
*When cheese gets its picture taken, what does it say? *

Owain

Aug 20, 2007, 6:13:46 AM8/20/07
Andy Hall wrote:
>> Much easier in magician mode - I just
>> make them vanish whilst still lit.
> Just like that?

Haven't you seen the protective clothing in Arco - Magician's Jackets
with Fireproof Sleeves?

Owain

Andy Hall

Aug 20, 2007, 7:23:51 AM8/20/07

I do have one of their catalogues - full of all sorts of interesting
things. I guess that I should look in the index under 'M' for
Merlin......

Owain

Aug 20, 2007, 8:20:59 AM8/20/07
Andy Hall wrote:
>> Haven't you seen the protective clothing in Arco - Magician's Jackets
>> with Fireproof Sleeves?
> I do have one of their catalogues - full of all sorts of interesting
> things. I guess that I should look in the index under 'M' for
> Merlin......

It'll be next to the high-visibility impact-resistant anti-static knob
covers for the ends of wizards' staffs...

Owain

The Medway Handyman

Aug 20, 2007, 5:58:38 PM8/20/07

Oh how I love the 'it's up his sleeve' myth. Virtually guarantees attention
will be directed to the wrong place :-)

Andy Hall

Aug 20, 2007, 6:32:20 PM8/20/07
On 2007-08-20 22:58:38 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
<davi...@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> said:

> Owain wrote:
>>> Just like that?
>>
>> Haven't you seen the protective clothing in Arco - Magician's Jackets
>> with Fireproof Sleeves?
>
> Oh how I love the 'it's up his sleeve' myth. Virtually guarantees attention
> will be directed to the wrong place :-)

Trouser leg?

The Medway Handyman

Aug 20, 2007, 7:05:54 PM8/20/07

A lit fag isn't going anywhere near my trouser legs matey!

John Rumm

Aug 20, 2007, 9:30:48 PM8/20/07
The Medway Handyman wrote:

>> Trouser leg?
>
> A lit fag isn't going anywhere near my trouser legs matey!

Hot angle grinder swarf maybe... ;-)

Barry Smith

Jan 2, 2008, 4:18:54 PM1/2/08
In message <46c07e73$0$643$bed6...@news.gradwell.net>
tin...@isbd.co.uk wrote:

> How do people here on uk.d-i-y store their drill bits? I'm doing a
> big tidy up and sort out of my workshops and have managed to sort out
> ways of storing most of my stuff but I'm a bit stumped when it comes
> to drills.

> Currently they're in a hotch potch of broken plastic 'drill sets', a
> cutlery tray and small ones in the original paper packs.

> Can you buy those trays with lots of varying sized holes for storing

> drills? If so where can you get them? I might consider making one
> but it's a lot of work for not much gain and a mass produced plastic
> moulding that does the same probably costs just a couple of pounds, if
> anyone makes one.

Just came across this old post while searching for something else.

How about an old circular cotton bud box with the clear top lid.
Cut a piece/pieces of foam/polystyrene to fit. Push drills in.
Will work for drills up to about 6mm. Above that they are too long to
fit the top on.

Barry

tin...@isbd.co.uk

Jan 3, 2008, 4:04:03 AM1/3/08
I thought the subject looked familiar! :-)

Thanks for the idea.

--
Chris Green

David W.E. Roberts

Jan 5, 2008, 5:31:21 AM1/5/08
I did find some plastic blocks years ago which had a range of holes to store
different size drills - however if you have duplicates then this becomes a
bit tricky,

One thing which worked - take a short length of 2 * 4 and use each drill to
drill a hole in the broader surface. The drill will then fit in the hole
shaft first. Then you have one hole for each drill and everything stores
neatly.

For counter sinks, wire brushes etc. find a drill which matches the size of
the shaft, and drill a hole with that.

HTH

Dave R

"Barry Smith" <b...@g4iat.demon.invalid> wrote in message

Dave Plowman (News)

Jan 5, 2008, 6:09:27 AM1/5/08
In article <477ca503$0$511$bed6...@news.gradwell.net>,

<tin...@isbd.co.uk> wrote:
> > How about an old circular cotton bud box with the clear top lid.
> > Cut a piece/pieces of foam/polystyrene to fit. Push drills in.
> > Will work for drills up to about 6mm. Above that they are too long to
> > fit the top on.
> >
> I thought the subject looked familiar! :-)

> Thanks for the idea.

The top will get lost first time you use it. Or even before as they simply
fall off. ;-)

--
*The hardness of the butter is proportional to the softness of the bread *

Message has been deleted

John

Jan 5, 2008, 6:59:37 AM1/5/08
The trouble with the usual drill sets in stands or boxes is that they
only hold one of each size. Break one drill in the middle of a job and
you're stuffed.
I have a couple of drill sets in my tool box, a few drill stands in my
workshop for imperial and metric, and a store box like this
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/20868/Drill-Bits/Drill-Bit-Sets/HSS-Sets/Ryobi-Tradesmans-HSS-Masonry-Drill-200-Pc-Set
with bits up to 10mm in 0.5mm increments.
I would add that I'm more of an engineering machinist than a DIYer
though so most of the time I have to use the exact size drill.
By keeping my drills in this formal way, I can easily find the right
drill and, more importantly, I can see what drills I've got so I don't
run out of a particular size or spend ages looking for a drill that's
not there.
Unfortunately my larger drills 0.5" and bigger are stored on a shelf
awaiting a more organised system.

John

Dave

Jan 6, 2008, 5:12:40 PM1/6/08
David W.E. Roberts wrote:

> I did find some plastic blocks years ago which had a range of holes to store
> different size drills - however if you have duplicates then this becomes a
> bit tricky,

The solution to this is to make your own drill stand. Take a piece of
left over kitchen top and drill holes for all the sizes of drills that
you have. If you drill all the way through, then glue on a piece of hard
board. ply, or thin mdf, under it, to stop them falling through. If you
have many of the same size, then drill holes for all of them, in other
words, lay them out in a line and use each one to drill a hole in
sequence. When I was working, I might require 6 5 mm drills and each
one had different qualities.
Another aspect of making your own, is the fact that you can see if you
have replaced all your drills.

Mark the wood with the size of the drill, job done.

> One thing which worked - take a short length of 2 * 4 and use each drill to
> drill a hole in the broader surface. The drill will then fit in the hole
> shaft first.

I would put each drill cutting edge down. That way you will not end up
getting one of them up a fingernail, or cutting you

HTH

Dave

Anna Kettle

Jan 28, 2008, 10:59:37 AM1/28/08
On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 21:18:54 GMT, Barry Smith
<b...@g4iat.demon.invalid> wrote:

>In message <46c07e73$0$643$bed6...@news.gradwell.net>
> tin...@isbd.co.uk wrote:
>
>> How do people here on uk.d-i-y store their drill bits? I'm doing a
>> big tidy up and sort out of my workshops and have managed to sort out
>> ways of storing most of my stuff but I'm a bit stumped when it comes
>> to drills.

I never did get around to contributing to this thread when it was
current, but I put my drill bits in an organiser box and a very
similar box is on the Aldi offers for 4.99 pounds on 31st january

It works well as a technique for me because I regularly use a range of
different bit sizes. Sometimes they last for ages when I'm drilling
into wood and other times they blunt very quickly when I am drilling
into plaster. I buy my bits in a handy box of ten of a kind then put
the box of new bits in the same organiser compartment as the 'in use'
bits and refresh them as necessary

Anna
--

~ ~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repair and conservation

Dave Liquorice

Jan 28, 2008, 2:15:19 PM1/28/08
On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 15:59:37 GMT, Anna Kettle wrote:

> I put my drill bits in an organiser box and a very similar box is on the
> Aldi offers for 4.99 pounds on 31st january

I was wondering how that would work as most organiser boxes have fixed
length compartments but I see this one is variable.

More interesting is the 250kg @ 5m (125kg @ 10m) electric hoist for
£39.99. Still have to provide a suitably strong "sky hook" and
wheels/trolly unless you just wanted a straight static lift.

--
Cheers new...@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail