Storing wood outside in the rain

Cursitor Doom

Oct 2, 2022, 1:13:22 PM10/2/22
Gentlemen,

My neighbours and I are in the process of replacing the fence that
runs between their property and mine. The replacement wood - a
*considerable* quantity - was dropped off by the timber suppliers onto
a grass lawn in one huge bundle. It has been treated for exterior use
of course, but I'm just wondering whether it's okay to leave it for an
extended period just laying on wet grass or should it be raised up in
some way as to not be in contact with the ground until such time as
it's 'deployed' as it were?

Ta,

CD.

Chris Green

Oct 2, 2022, 1:33:06 PM10/2/22
It depends very much how long "an extended period" is, it also, of
course, depends on how wet your climate is.

I'd not worry about it for a few weeks (especially here in East
Anglia), for more than a month or two I'd consider putting it on some
pallets or something.

--
Chris Green
·

The Natural Philosopher

Oct 2, 2022, 3:01:14 PM10/2/22
Best to try and slip something under it to take the ground contact, but
even so should be OK

--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich
people by telling poor people that "other" rich people are the reason

Peter Thompson

alan_m

Oct 2, 2022, 5:13:26 PM10/2/22
Despite being treated I'll bet that it will discolour with black mould
if it is left in a bundle where air cannot get to it to dry out for any
length of extended time.

Not only would I raise it off the ground but also provide some air gaps
within the pile.

Martin Brown

Oct 3, 2022, 4:17:13 AM10/3/22
On 02/10/2022 19:26, Chris Hogg wrote:
> +1 to that, and it will damage the grass underneath if left for too
> long.

I'd be more worried about damage to the grass than anything else.

Unless you left it for a couple of years or so it shouldn't affect
properly treated timber. The top ones will protect the others.

Or untreated opepe which is practically indestructible. ~50 year
lifetime. Nothing in the UK knows how to rot it! (not cheap)

The only reason I would raise wood above ground level to store is for
burning so that it doesn't end up sat in a puddle of water. I'm about to
do something similar for my neighbour. Mine sits on scrap palletes

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Brian Gaff

Oct 3, 2022, 4:37:58 AM10/3/22
If you look at companies which store and sell wood all seem to use palettes
for it, and do noot store it on grass, its usually gravel areas or concrete
or tarmac.

Considering the cost of wood these days, I think it pays to look after it.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Chris Green" <c...@isbd.net> wrote in message

Rod Speed

Oct 3, 2022, 11:53:30 AM10/3/22
Brian Gaff <brian...@gmail.com> wrote

> If you look at companies which store and sell wood all seem to use
> palettes
> for it, and do noot store it on grass, its usually gravel areas or
> concrete
> or tarmac.

But that's for a different reason, no need to mow the grass etc.

> Considering the cost of wood these days, I think it pays to look after
> it.

Not when it is going to be used for a fence.

Peeler

Oct 3, 2022, 12:12:45 PM10/3/22
On Tue, 04 Oct 2022 02:53:22 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

pamela about Rodent Speed:
"His off the cuff expertise demonstrates how little he knows..."
MID: <XnsA90B720...@81.171.92.183>