Part Q?? Building Regulations

deck...@hotmail.com

Apr 1, 2005, 7:49:06 AM4/1/05
Reported in the Evening Standard last night (sorry, can't find a link
to the story) that John Prescott is considering introducing further
restrictions on DIY enthusiasts following the success of Part P.

The article suggested that restrictions would be introduced to control
most DIY plumbing, following concerns around the impact poor work is
having on the environment.

Also restrictions were being considered on work taking place above a
certain height, presumeably on Health and Safety Grounds, which I
believed has been discussed in this group before.

Has anyone else heard of these new regs, or did you read the Standard
last night.

Ian Stirling

Apr 1, 2005, 7:55:59 AM4/1/05
deck...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Reported in the Evening Standard last night (sorry, can't find a link
> to the story) that John Prescott is considering introducing further
> restrictions on DIY enthusiasts following the success of Part P.

At least, I don't think that it's likely that it will sneak past people
as part P has.
Call your MP, and encourage friends to respond to any consultations.
Give them a hell of a lot of mail to ignore.

John Rumm

Apr 1, 2005, 9:03:51 AM4/1/05
deck...@hotmail.com wrote:

> The article suggested that restrictions would be introduced to control
> most DIY plumbing, following concerns around the impact poor work is
> having on the environment.

April fool? Or have the IoP offered Prescott a nice back hander?

--
Cheers,

John.

Dave

Apr 1, 2005, 9:24:18 AM4/1/05
;-)
Would the date have anything to do with this?

Dave

:::Jerry::::

Apr 1, 2005, 9:17:12 AM4/1/05

"John Rumm" <see.my.s...@nowhere.null> wrote in message

> deck...@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > The article suggested that restrictions would be introduced to
control
> > most DIY plumbing, following concerns around the impact poor work
is
> > having on the environment.
>
> April fool? Or have the IoP offered Prescott a nice back hander?

Well, seeing the number of waste water drain pipes that people add to
their houses, for washing machines etc, that get connected to storm
water drains I wouldn't be so sure that this is a spoof....

Andy Hall

Apr 1, 2005, 9:53:11 AM4/1/05
On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 15:03:51 +0100, John Rumm
<see.my.s...@nowhere.null> wrote:

>deck...@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>> The article suggested that restrictions would be introduced to control
>> most DIY plumbing, following concerns around the impact poor work is
>> having on the environment.
>
>April fool? Or have the IoP offered Prescott a nice back hander?

Either that or he's offered them a left hook.....

The IoP has reformed itself into something else along with one of the
heating associations to gear up as a mediaeval guild and Self
Assessment Scheme, so it would not be at all surprising if they meet
in smoke filled rooms over beer and sandwiches with their electrical
industry counterparts to learn how to subvert democracy.

If you look on their web site, they come out with the same put downs
about DIY as CORGI and the electrical contracting industry.

Here's what they say about it. With the condescending Tone one could
almost believe that Drivel was their press agency, except that the
spelling is correct....

***************
Putting up a couple of shelves is one thing, but trying a bit of DIY
on your plumbing system can not only be dangerous and expensive, but
could also drop you in hot water with the law! Many people are happy
to do minor jobs like changing a tap washer but for anything else you
are best to leave it in the hands of the professionals. If you do not
know 100% what you are doing, DIY interference with plumbing systems
can result in serious damage, expensive repair bills and potential
health hazards.

The DIY householder is subject to the same regulations and controls as
the professional plumber and everything connected to water supply has
to comply with statutory requirements. Minimum standards for sanitary
plumbing and drainage installations are laid down by law in the
interest of public health and safety. Contravention can lead to
prosecution and the possible imposition of substantial fines.

Don't take the risk of endangering your property, your own or your
families health or risk breaking the law. For your plumbing problems
always call the expert services of your local Registered Plumber.

***************

--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Jeff

Apr 1, 2005, 9:57:36 AM4/1/05

:::Jerry:::: wrote :-

> Well, seeing the number of waste water drain pipes that people add to
> their houses, for washing machines etc, that get connected to storm
> water drains I wouldn't be so sure that this is a spoof....

mine are all in one, afaik there is only the one pipe in the road

Regards Jeff

Tony Bryer

Apr 1, 2005, 10:20:44 AM4/1/05
In article <1112359746....@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
wrote:

> Reported in the Evening Standard last night (sorry, can't find a link
> to the story) that John Prescott is considering introducing further
> restrictions on DIY enthusiasts following the success of Part P.
>
> The article suggested that restrictions would be introduced to control
> most DIY plumbing, following concerns around the impact poor work is
> having on the environment.

http://www.wras.co.uk/regulations/get_a_copy.htm

though on a quick look most work done by members of this group would be
exempt

Ed Sirett

Apr 1, 2005, 1:53:57 PM4/1/05

And today's date is ? [I hope].

deck...@hotmail.com

Apr 2, 2005, 1:13:42 AM4/2/05
Well, of course it is April Fools Day, so well done to those who
spotted this. I just hope that the fat one doesn't read this newsgroup
and get ideas.

John

Apr 2, 2005, 3:42:47 AM4/2/05

<deck...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Well, of course it is April Fools Day, so well done to those who
> spotted this. I just hope that the fat one doesn't read this newsgroup
> and get ideas.

IMHO The fat one is incapable of getting ideas unless someone with a little
bit of brain puts them there

Andy Wade

Apr 2, 2005, 5:42:23 AM4/2/05
deck...@hotmail.com wrote:

> Well, of course it is April Fools Day [...]

Fools or not, there was a proposal for Part Q back in '03 - provision of
cable ducts and routes for "electronic communication services (broadband)."

The consultation papers are here
http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/groups/odpm_control/documents/contentservertemplate/odpm_index.hcst?n=6503&l=3

And the draft Approved document Q is here
http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/groups/odpm_buildreg/documents/page/odpm_breg_609509.pdf
- last amended 1st April 2003, as it happens :-)

This seems to have died a death. That's probably just as well; anything
they managed to enact would have been out of date before it came into
force...

--
Andy

Hugo Nebula

Apr 2, 2005, 1:49:09 PM4/2/05
On 1 Apr 2005 04:49:06 -0800, a particular chimpanzee named
deck...@hotmail.com randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

>The article suggested that restrictions would be introduced to control
>most DIY plumbing, following concerns around the impact poor work is
>having on the environment.

It's already covered. Drainage is a 'relevant requirement', therefore
any alterations should (in theory) be notified to Building Control,
and should be no worse than previously if it doesn't meet the standard
for new work.

>Has anyone else heard of these new regs, or did you read the Standard
>last night.

No and no.

Part Q was a (genuine) consultation document on the provision of ducts
and conduits to new houses to enable high speed data cables to be more
easily installed. Now if that had been announced on 1st April, no-one
would have believed that.
--
Hugo Nebula
'What you have to ask yourself is,"if no-one on the internet wants