'skirting board' radiators

allan plath

Oct 10, 2000, 7:21:04 PM10/10/00
In the 'states' I have seen what are called 'base board' radiators (used
for hot water systems). They are copper tube with fins on, and a cover
of relatively light weight metal, they replace, or sit in front of the
normal skirting board.

I have a wall some 17 feet long, and I'd like to use something like this
in place of the huge ugly radiator that is currently on the wall.

I have seen them in a couple of houses in the UK, but my local plumbing
supply company (and local plumbers for that matter) simply don't want to
know.

Anyone have any advice on gettin hold of these? I've searched as far as
I am able, but can't seem find any UK suppliers, or advice on fitting
them.

Thanks.

Allan Plath
Milton Keynes

Nightjar

Oct 10, 2000, 8:05:05 PM10/10/00

allan plath <a.r....@open.ac.uk> wrote in message

> In the 'states' I have seen what are called 'base board' radiators (used
> for hot water systems). They are copper tube with fins on, and a cover
> of relatively light weight metal, they replace, or sit in front of the
> normal skirting board.

> Anyone have any advice on gettin hold of these? I've searched as far as
> I am able, but can't seem find any UK suppliers, or advice on fitting
> them.

http://www.myson.co.uk/WallStripInformation.html

Colin Bignell

Karen Mountford

Oct 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/12/00
Nightjar wrote:

I have one of these round the long window alcove in my sitting room. I think
the name is Finrad. I don't find them very good personally, not a lot of heat
output from quite a long run of the stuff but luckily I had plenty of wall to
put an extra radiator elsewhere. I used one of those ones made of lots of
little pipes. Boy does it whop the heat out.

Karen M

Adam

Oct 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/12/00

"Karen Mountford" <karen.m...@talk21.com> wrote in message
> I have one of these round the long window alcove in my sitting room. I
think
> the name is Finrad. I don't find them very good personally, not a lot of
heat
> output from quite a long run of the stuff but luckily I had plenty of wall
> put an extra radiator elsewhere. I used one of those ones made of lots of
> little pipes. Boy does it whop the heat out.

Karen,

Skirting rads work better when the boiler thermostat is set to full on
(80C). Many people have it lower as they are afraid of very hot radiators
elsewhere in the house. Low surface temp rads are the best then the boiler
can be left full on.

Karen Mountford

Oct 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/13/00
Adam wrote:

> "Karen Mountford" <karen.m...@talk21.com> wrote in message
> > Nightjar wrote:
> >

> > I have one of these round the long window alcove in my sitting room. I
> think
> > the name is Finrad. I don't find them very good personally, not a lot of
> heat
> > output from quite a long run of the stuff but luckily I had plenty of wall
> > put an extra radiator elsewhere. I used one of those ones made of lots of
> > little pipes. Boy does it whop the heat out.
>
> Karen,
>
> Skirting rads work better when the boiler thermostat is set to full on
> (80C). Many people have it lower as they are afraid of very hot radiators
> elsewhere in the house. Low surface temp rads are the best then the boiler
> can be left full on.

Aha, not terribly sensible then if you have a mix of the two sorts of radiator?
Not enough heat from one type and scald your hand on the other. Oh well :-)

Karen M

Adam

Oct 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/13/00
"Philip Stokes" <ne...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> On Thu, 12 Oct 2000 23:53:16 +0100 Adam <ad...@nospammail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Skirting rads work better when the boiler thermostat is set to full on
> > (80C). Many people have it lower as they are afraid of very hot
radiators
> > elsewhere in the house. Low surface temp rads are the best then the
boiler
> > can be left full on.
>
> As an aside to this, I've always been under the impression that
> boilers shouldn't be run full on. When we had our current back boiler
> installed, the fitter suggested we keep the thermostat set about half
> to two thirds on. So is there an optimum setting for the boiler
> itself, or is it basically whatever is required in the way of heat?

Phil,

The British heating game is full of people who go by rule of thumb (the
design) and old wives tales. The optimum setting is full on.

Thermal stores have a boiler that supplies only the thermal store, with the
hot water and heating supplied off the store. The boiler is set to maximum
and heats the store with one long efficient burn, reducing inefficient
cycling to a minimum. One of the reason thermal stores were promoted is
that they improved boiler efficiency and economy as the boiler was working
to optimum conditions.

As system can be engineered to get the best out of a boiler. Low surface
temp rads are one and high-efficient quick recovery cylinders one of the
others. Myson convectors and skirting heaters are more efficient at 80C,
full boiler temp. People complain that the fans on Myson's are draughty.
The reason why is usually that the flow temperature is too low.

If a system is designed this way, to promote a cooler return water
temperature by extracting as much heat from the heat emitters of cylinders,
it will reduce boiler cycling. Also they are then superb for condensing
boiler operation getting the best out one.

BTW, Keston say their boilers can cycle away not impairing efficiency
because of their heat-exchanger design.

Nick Finnigan

Oct 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/13/00
Philip Stokes <ne...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Thu, 12 Oct 2000 23:53:16 +0100 Adam <ad...@nospammail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Skirting rads work better when the boiler thermostat is set to full on
> > (80C). Many people have it lower as they are afraid of very hot radiators
> > elsewhere in the house. Low surface temp rads are the best then the boiler
> > can be left full on.
>
> As an aside to this, I've always been under the impression that
> boilers shouldn't be run full on. When we had our current back boiler
> installed, the fitter suggested we keep the thermostat set about half
> to two thirds on. So is there an optimum setting for the boiler
> itself, or is it basically whatever is required in the way of heat?

I go for as low as possible. If someone has 'low surface temp'
radiators then I'd expect the return water to the boiler to be
cool enough for the boiler to fire whatever the thermostat setting.