Apology from an American to the Turkish people and their leaders

ESLaPorte -The NATO Citizen

Jul 7, 2003, 1:04:26 PM7/7/03

Letter of apology to be sent to Turkish leaders apologizing for the ugly and
inexcusable conduct of American forces in Northern Iraq in their inexcusable
"raid" against our Turkish Allies.

----

Last October, I traveled to Istanbul to take part in the Atlantic Treaty
Association's Assembly as a delegate of the United States. I listened to a
speech by the then NATO Commander Europe, General Ralston, on the Turkish
3rd Corps in Istanbul's achievement by qualifying for certification from
SHAPE to become part of the NATO Reaction Force.
(http://www.pronato.com/EuroAtlantic/ATA/Ralston1.htm) I was able to listen,
take in, and appreciate your country's efforts in Euro-Atlantic security and
the war on terrorism. Your people and leaders were very gracious hosts and I
am happy that America and NATO have such a good and reliable friend and ally
in Turkey.

Now, when I learned of the ugly and unacceptable incident in which your
troops where subjected to, I was very upset to tears. This American was
shocked and outraged upon reading of how your troops had sacks placed over
their heads, were whisked off to Baghdad, had their equipment destroyed, as
if they were al-Queda terrorists! It is shocking and outrageous to think
that our American troops were actually pointing their weapons in the
direction of their Turkish Allies!!! This American was shocked and outraged
by the conduct of American troops toward our Turkish Allies, who have given
so much in the war on terrorism, outrageously being treated as terrorists
themselves.

This American - and indeed the rest of America - would like to say that we
are sorry for this unacceptable and ugly action on the part of our American
forces against your soldiers who were legitimately performing their duties
in Northern Iraq. America understands that your country has legitimate
security interests in Northern Iraq. America knows and appreciates the
efforts that our good friend Turkey contributes to Euro-Atlantic security.
The ugly events that were perpetrated against your soldiers in Northern Iraq
will be investigated and, while reflecting poorly on American forces in
Northern Iraq, must not hinder the long term interests and friendship of
both of our countries.

As a saddened American I would like to extend very deep apologizes for the
ugly and inexcusable event perpetrated by American forces in Northern Iraq.

Please accept this American's apology.

---
You can read speeches from Turkish and NATO leaders, including General
Ralston's speech commending the Turkish 3rd Corps, on the 48th ATA General
Assemby in Istanbul page: http://www.pronato.com/EuroAtlantic/ATA/index.htm

Damnyankee

Aug 3, 2003, 5:18:45 PM8/3/03
You have got to be kidding,

--
My Favorite Quote:
"There's still room for some rough-edged crusties like myself -- just a

Aug 3, 2003, 5:36:09 PM8/3/03
Damnyankee wrote:
> You have got to be kidding,

That deserves a HAW!

O...@oak-invalid.com

Aug 3, 2003, 6:57:04 PM8/3/03
On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 17:04:26 GMT, "ESLaPorte -The NATO Citizen"
<esla...@pronato.com> wrote:

>Letter of apology to be sent to Turkish leaders apologizing for the ugly and
>inexcusable conduct of American forces in Northern Iraq in their inexcusable
>"raid" against our Turkish Allies.

Do you have a link to a story about this incident? I dont recall it.

>----
>
>Last October, I traveled to Istanbul to take part in the Atlantic Treaty
>Association's Assembly as a delegate of the United States. I listened to a
>speech by the then NATO Commander Europe, General Ralston, on the Turkish
>3rd Corps in Istanbul's achievement by qualifying for certification from
>SHAPE to become part of the NATO Reaction Force.
>(http://www.pronato.com/EuroAtlantic/ATA/Ralston1.htm) I was able to listen,
>take in, and appreciate your country's efforts in Euro-Atlantic security and
>the war on terrorism. Your people and leaders were very gracious hosts and I
>am happy that America and NATO have such a good and reliable friend and ally
>in Turkey.

While Turkey has been a good ally, many Americans were very
disappointed in Turkey's foot dragging and ultimate refusal to let our
forces use Turkish bases. That being said, Turkey is a democracy and
its decisions are respected even if they go against the wishes of the
U.S.

>Now, when I learned of the ugly and unacceptable incident in which your
>troops where subjected to, I was very upset to tears. This American was
>shocked and outraged upon reading of how your troops had sacks placed over
>their heads, were whisked off to Baghdad, had their equipment destroyed, as
>if they were al-Queda terrorists! It is shocking and outrageous to think
>that our American troops were actually pointing their weapons in the
>direction of their Turkish Allies!!! This American was shocked and outraged
>by the conduct of American troops toward our Turkish Allies, who have given
>so much in the war on terrorism, outrageously being treated as terrorists
>themselves.
>
>This American - and indeed the rest of America -
>would like to say that we
>are sorry for this unacceptable and ugly action on the part of our American
>forces against your soldiers who were legitimately performing their duties

>in Northern Iraq. ...
<snip>

With all due respect to your outrage and feelings for Turkey, you do
not speak for this American, nor any others.

respectfully,

Oak