worse... worst

1 view

Dieter Britz

Oct 29, 2015, 10:00:42 AM10/29/15
Am I the only one who remembers that the correct phase
is "if worse comes to worst", and not "worst comes to
worst", which is illogical? I hardly ever see the correct
form any longer.

--
Dieter Britz

Peter Duncanson

Oct 29, 2015, 2:02:43 PM10/29/15
I'm not sure which is the "correct" form. I only know the "worst comes
to worst" form, although I have heard of the song by Billy Joel, "Worse
Comes to Worst".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worse_Comes_to_Worst

Oxford Dictionaries online has only the "worst comes to worst" form -
British English entry:
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/if-the-worst-comes-to-the-worst?q=worst+comes+to+worst

if the worst comes to the worst

If the most serious or difficult circumstances arise:

US English entry:
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/american_english/if-worst-comes-to-worst?q=worst+comes+to+the+worst

if worst comes to worst

Neither the BrE or the AmE versions of that dictionary have the "worse"
version.

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in uk.culture.language.english)