Who are we mistaken

Olaf Ueberschär

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00

We recently talked about the troubles in Northern Ireland in our English
lessons and therefore we also discussed the song "Zombie" by the
Cranberries. Neither our English teacher nor we could exactly translate the
line "Who are we mistaken". However, we are very interested in it, hence I'd
like to ask you for a translation, explanation or interpretation. In order
be aware of the context, I've attached the lyrics of "Zombie" to this
message.

Thanks in advance,

Olaf

-----------------------

ZOMBIE

Another head hangs lowly, child is slowly taken
And the violence caused such silence
Who are we mistaken

But you see it's not me, it's not my family
In your head, in your head, they are fighting
With their tanks, and their bombs
And their bombs, and their guns
In your head, in your head they are cryin'

In your head, in your head, Zombie, Zombie
In your head, what's in your head Zombie

Another mother's breaking heart is taking over
When the violence causes silence
We must be mistaken
I'ts the same old theme since 1916
In your head, in your head they're still fightin'
With their tanks, and their bombs
And their bombs, and their guns
In your head, in your head they are dyin'

In your head, in your head, Zombie, Zombie
In your head, what's in your head Zombie

©

Old Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00
Olaf Ueberschär <OlafUeb...@gmx.net> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> We recently talked about the troubles in Northern Ireland
in our English
> lessons and therefore we also discussed the song "Zombie"
by the
> Cranberries. Neither our English teacher nor we could
exactly translate the
> line "Who are we mistaken". However, we are very
interested in it, hence I'd
> like to ask you for a translation, explanation or
interpretation. In order
> be aware of the context, I've attached the lyrics of
"Zombie" to this
> message.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Olaf
>
> -----------------------

<snip>
For what it's worth, it doesn't make sense to me, either.

--
Roy Archer
http://www.fonts.org.uk free fonts

John B

Feb 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/2/00
In article <871aj2$97p$1...@news07.btx.dtag.de>, Olaf Ueberschär
<OlafUeb...@gmx.net> writes

>We recently talked about the troubles in Northern Ireland in our English
>lessons and therefore we also discussed the song "Zombie" by the
>Cranberries. Neither our English teacher nor we could exactly translate the
>line "Who are we mistaken". However, we are very interested in it, hence I'd
>like to ask you for a translation, explanation or interpretation.

I have tried hard to see some merit in the lyric but although the song
may be musically satisfactory, the text seems to be even more arbitrary
than most pop songs. I wouldn't waste your time on analysis - enjoy.

Do try Seamus Heaney for insights into life in N Ireland.
--
John B j...@avism.demon.co.uk